Most "memorable" losses or losses you will not be able to forget | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Most "memorable" losses or losses you will not be able to forget

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Worst loss ever?

Summer of '90 I had some friends taking summer classes at RIT in Rochester. I went up for a weekend for a few keggers in some off-campus apartments.

I had some allergies or a head cold and wasn't feeling too well. I bought a pint of Jack and was slow sipping to clear the sinuses. It worked well.

After a few beers at the party I met a girl, who by all accounts was fine and out of my league. Everyone said we were hitting it off well; we went out the apartment in to the stairwell started chatting and getting friendly. It's at that point that friends say, I just straight passed out standing up, stumbled down the stairs and took an extended nap on the landing.

Opportunity lost.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Worst loss ever?

Summer of '90 I had some friends taking summer classes at RIT in Rochester. I went up for a weekend for a few keggers in some off-campus apartments.

I had some allergies or a head cold and wasn't feeling too well. I bought a pint of Jack and was slow sipping to clear the sinuses. It worked well.

After a few beers at the party I met a girl, who by all accounts was fine and out of my league. Everyone said we were hitting it off well; we went out the apartment in to the stairwell started chatting and getting friendly. It's at that point that friends say, I just straight passed out standing up, stumbled down the stairs and took an extended nap on the landing.

Opportunity lost.

If that was worse than the Duke loss you needed to get out more :)

Reaction Score

Mississippi State on the other hand...I have to believe that most of the posters who go on about the need for dominant seasons were too young to really experience that 1994-96 period. That was our most dominant run of regular seasons ever - 49-5 in the Big East - and we went to two Sweet 16's and a Final Eight. But when the final whistle blew against Miss St, none of that mattered in the least. There was only misery. We had failed again when the lights were brightest, our core was moving on, and who knew when, or if, we'd be back.

+1000. I wonder if the people who dismiss 2011 and 2014 as flukes and say they'd prefer a 32-4 regular season were around when UConn was the best team never to have won one.

Winning a national championship is really freaking hard. It requires a ton of pieces to fall in place, including - sometimes - external factors beyond your control. 2011 and 2014 were insane occurrences that I think have obscured in some peoples' minds just how hard and rare it is to win the whole thing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If that was worse than the Duke loss you needed to get out more :)

It probably was the summer after the Chrissy shot. I didn't care. I was in upstate NY telling all the 'cuse fans to stuff it after the dream season.

Worst sports loss was Bucky Dent in '78. I was still single digits in age as a Sawx fan and my mother's a Yanks fan. When Yaz popped out to Nettles she looked at me and said something along the line of her wanting the Yanks to win but didn't want to see Yaz end the game. I told her to F-off or something similar. My dad threw me across the room. It was worth it.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Been spending most of my time on the women's board lately, but I've been a fan of the men for longer, so reading this thread all the way through was like reopening a bunch of old wounds and pouring in salt. For me, the bad NCAA Tournament losses are always worse than any others. The 6OT debacle annoyed me to no end, but at least there was a chance to regroup after that, and eventually reach the Final Four. Watching an entire season come crashing down and die right before your eyes is another beast entirely. And most of those pre-1999 losses, from back when we had the most tournament wins of any program never to reach the Final Four (and every successive loss made it feel more and more like we were snakebitten and might never get over that hump), are still more painful for me to think about than almost anything that's happened since 1999. Here's what sticks out in my memory:

1990 - This was the absolute worst, and not just because I was in 5th grade and it was the season when I first became a UConn fan. Such an unbelievable run by our Dream Team, and Tate's miracle shot against Clemson, the whole deal, and then to watch all the magic and euphoria of that whole season suddenly guillotined by that Duke dou¢hebag with the stupid hair. That game broke my heart in a way that none of these other games could. I swear that the loudest chorus of boos I've ever heard in Gampel Pavilion was on 3/29/99 when CBS cut to that Duke guy's face in the crowd at Tropicana Field. We never did manage to pay him back, but we finally exacted some sweet revenge on his school on that night.

1994 - Gut-wrenching, and such a missed opportunity because UNC's upset loss had blown our path to the Final Four wide open. I remember futilely saying a prayer to help Donyell hit one of those free throws. Didn't work. Just a devastating loss against a team we should have beaten. This game was still on my mind when Shabazz and co. stormed back to wreck Florida's season in the Final Four 20 years later.

1995 - I think I've actually suppressed any specific memories I had of this game. I can understand why folks are saying it was a great game and we just got beat by a better team. But this was probably my favorite of the mid-90s UConn teams, and I despised Harrick and that UCLA team, so this one really cut a deep scar. Of all these losses, this is the one that makes me wonder what might have been, because our guys were playing at such a high level when they got knocked out. I still want to throw a grenade at my TV every time I see the final play from that bleeping UCLA-Missouri game, because I think that cost us a legitimate shot at a title.

1996 - This was such an uninspired, lackluster, discouraging loss against such an inferior team that I couldn't bear to watch the rest of that year's tournament. And it was just a sad way for Ray's college career to end. There are only two things that make this game a little easier to take, in hindsight. One, as someone said above, we'd have been forced to vacate any additional wins in any event. And two, this was simply not the same team after Ricky went down—recall that we struggled for long stretches against Eastern Michigan in the second round as well—so I don't think we would've gone much further anyway, as poorly as we were playing.

1998 - We were a young team on the rise and not as good as UNC, so it was hardly surprising that we lost. Mostly I remember being pissed at the committee for putting us in their region because I thought we deserved better, and I still think we might've cracked the Final Four that year if we'd been given a fairer draw.

1999 - Everything changes, obviously.

2002 - I don't remember this one hurting all that much; it felt kind of like 1998 in that we had a good run but just ran into a more talented, experienced team and couldn't quite topple them. I'd probably have felt worse about it if I'd known Caron wasn't coming back.

2005 - Worth a mention only because this team had a lot of talent, and a second-round loss to a #10 seed isn't a great way to go out, but I think the fact that we'd just won the previous year helped take the sting out of this one.

2006 - I'm going to be in a tiny minority here, but while this game annoyed me quite a bit, it didn't actually hurt that much. I spent months yelling at my TV, imploring that year's team to show some heart to match its talent. Finally, as we were in the process of blowing a huge lead against Notre Dame in February (even though Williams saved us with a triple-double and we eventually won in OT), I consciously reached the sad conclusion that we absolutely did not mentally have what it took to win a championship. I made my peace with that fact and spent the rest of that season quietly watching the rest of the games, with no doubt in my mind that we'd fall short in the end. When it finally came to pass against George Mason, I simply shook my head and thought, "well, at least it wasn't against Albany."

2008 - This pissed me off mostly because Calhoun had never lost a first-round game as our coach before, and I'd always loved that fact. A.J.'s injury just threw a monkey wrench into that game, and even though we still had a chance, too many things just didn't go right in the end. Frustrating.

2009 - I felt we were legitimately outplayed here, but it was annoying primarily because I resented our having to play a de facto road game in the Final Four against a lower-seeded opponent. (So, did I feel bad five years later when MSU had to deal with us at MSG? Nope.) I think this team, if healthy, would've had a fighting chance against UNC or anyone else that year, but our defense was never quite right again after we lost Dyson. The MSU loss hurt a little less because I was so proud of our guys for shaking off the 6OT fiasco and fighting their way to the Final Four at less than full strength.

2012 - Tough to get too upset or feel too awful when the team puts forth that pitiful an effort, especially in a theoretically even 8/9 matchup. It just sucked that this turned out to be Calhoun's last game, because he deserved better than that. Still happy that we could pay ISU back two years later.

Sorry for the excessive length, but I found this strangely cathartic and got a little carried away. :)

Reaction Score
All of the major ones have been covered here ('90 Duke the worst for me) but one regular season game stands out to me.

February 20, 1988 at the Civic Center against Syracuse. Down 10 at the half, UConn comes back. Eight seconds left, tie game, UConn ball at mid-court. Jeff King throws it right to Stevie Thompson who dunks for the game winner. Like a kick in the junk to this then 15 year-old. Thankfully better days were on the horizon.

Reaction Score
All of the major ones have been covered here ('90 Duke the worst for me) but one regular season game stands out to me.

February 20, 1988 at the Civic Center against Syracuse. Down 10 at the half, UConn comes back. Eight seconds left, tie game, UConn ball at mid-court. Jeff King throws it right to Stevie Thompson who dunks for the game winner. Like a kick in the junk to this then 15 year-old. Thankfully better days were on the horizon.

That was the first UConn game I ever attended . . .

Reaction Score
That 90 Duke game literally hurt until we won in 99.

But it still stings even today 4 NCAA Championships later.

All I could see was Tater dribbling us to Denver in slow motion for a long time. And then it didn't happen.

Reaction Score
'90 loss to Duke was the worst.

We had a Jungle bonfire anyway, although much smaller than the Clemson fire. I remember one absolutely hammered girl saying over and over "UCONN # 1 in our hearts."

After that...has to be a tossup between George Mason '06 and Florida '94.

Dishonorable mention: Carolina '98 in Greensboro. I was in Worcester for the NC State loss in 'o5 . Texas in '03 on a ball stuck between the rim and backboard.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
The worst part of the ending of Dook '90 was that Tate didn't need to hold on to the ball to seal the game...it went off his hands and started rolling up the sideline and went out of bounds...if it had just rolled a little more to the left it would have continued rolling up the court and time would have run out. Game UConn. Final Four bound.

My stomach got a little queasy just reading that. I can still see Tate bent over with his arms together after missing it.

Reaction Score
No doubt George Mason has to be the worst. not even a close 2nd.

Reaction Score
Just amazing how close UConn came to winning more than four.
This quote hit home to me. It really is amazing how many could have been won.

I'm a 1990 grad so all the 90's losses mentioned earlier resonate for me. 1990 was incredible. I went to every game that year as a student - Gampel opening, MSG BE, Hartford opening rounds and the meadowlands for Tates incredible shot and then the gut wrenching loss when Laettner's shot went in. I was definitely heading to Denver that year for the Final Four as my dad called it a once in a lifetime opp and he would help me get there. So yeah, the Duke loss hurt the most.

It's funny though, for some reason when I saw this post, the first loss that came to my mind was the Miami Darius Rice game. Not sure why. I remember Ben Godon hitting a free throw that put them up 4 and thinking "it's over". Then thinking what was Taliek doing running away from Tooles. Where was he going? Ahhh memories.

Reaction Score
2009 MSU game. My dad and I drove all the way from CT to Detroit. Thought UConn was a lock to play UNC for the title. It was a long drive back to CT.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
In no order of priority: 6 OT loss to Cuse at the Garden, Ray Allen losing to UCLA and Tyus Edney in the NCAA Tourney (I think that was the best UCONN team ever), Donyell Marshall missed free throws in NCAA Tourney, Rice from Miami hitting three pointer at Gampel to cap a miraculous comback.....and my sentimental favorite, Jeff King (RIP) in a tie game against Syracuse at the Civic Center (1987??) throwing a final UCONN possession inbounds pass from mid court away to Derrick Coleman who took it all the way for a game winning dunk. That was early in Calhoun's UCONN tenure when we were starting to beat people. That one hurt. At worst, we should've had a last shot or gone to OT.

Reaction Score
I found this on youtube:

This was the first painful loss for me.

But it is amazing how quick Uconn was off a made basket from the other team (florida)...they wanted to run the ball down your throat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Welcome to the best night of your life Da Meat Hook. We lost to da Meat Hook! That sucked bigtime.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The worst part of the ending of Dook '90 was that Tate didn't need to hold on to the ball to seal the game....it went off his hands and started rolling up the sideline and went out of bounds....if it had just rolled a little more to the left it would have continued rolling up the court and time would have run out. Game UConn. Final Four bound.

The mitigating factor regarding the '90 game is that if we had made it to the FF and made the final, UNLV would have destroyed us just like they destroyed the Blue Devils. We were spared that humiliation.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I think the despair was far greater two years later when we lost to Miss. St. Florida was manhandling us inside and exposed a clear weakness in our team's makeup (remember the "donut team" label?). '96 was much more of a team-wide gag job which really made you think that we may never get over the mountain, which was extra tough to swallow given that Scalitoing UMass made the Final Four that year.

But the Minutemen really didn't make the FF that year...VACATED! LOL

UConnNick

Reaction Score
"Good" Losses:
Duke/Laettner... Pissed me off, but it was the start of great things
Maryland - The legend of Caron
UCLA - The legend of Ray
MSU - I did not think we played poorly so it always stuck with me as a loss in the final four. Nothing to be ashamed of there.
Cuse 6 OT - I'll be honest, I was just glad someone won. Tough to get really upset considering the effort involved.

"WTF" Losses:

George Mason... nuff said
Florida - Donyell had gone 20 for 20 from the line a week earlier.
Miss St. - This one, in particular, killed me b/c we played like such p****ies.

"Embarrassing" Losses:

PC in 2010 - They dunked on us about 200 times in the 2nd half. It was like a video game.
Kansas 05 - Huge billed CBS game between two top 5 teams and we were beaten by 30+
Nova 05 - See above. Kittles destroyed us; I think he dropped 36. I absolutely despised Jason Lawson.
Iowa State 2012 - Royce White dunked on us on the opening play; we were down 20 instantly.
Louisville 2014 - Absolutely throttled
San Diego 2008 - AJ went down and we just folded...
Miami - Darius Rice
St. John's under Mike Jarvis - To be honest, I do not even remember if we lost to them. But I despised Jarvis and his players seemed to take on his demeanor. -ing Zendon Hamilton.

Speaking of Jarvis, how about the infamous "Bus Crash Game" when our team bus was involved in a bad wreck on the Mass Pike en route to the BU game. That SOB Jarvis wouldn't re-schedule the game because he hates Calhoun's guts for taking the Northeastern job right out from under him. We lost to freakin' BU.

Reaction Score
1990 NCAA Tourney. Losing by one to Duke in OT off Tate's botched steal.

Easily the one that comes to mind first....we deserved to win that one....and certainly the most painful

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The reason I don't even rank '90 is that UConn was still pretty much in their Up-Start stage. Considering, "The Shot (and disregarding that UConn was up by double digits most of that game)," it sort of felt like they were playing with house money, so to speak.

Reaction Score
2006 loss to George Mason will forever bother me.

Nothing else comes close.

Reaction Score
The three top losses that stick out to me were all the regional finals losses between 1995-2006, so close to final four but so far, all were single digit losses with the largest deficit being 6 points;

1995- Uconn & UCLA Regional Final
2002- Uconn & Maryland Regional Final
2006- Uconn & George Mason Regional Final

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom