Morgan's Plans For Next Year -- New Info | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Morgan's Plans For Next Year -- New Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
What are the dates of the Russian, Chinese, etc. seasons? Anyone know?

Reaction Score
Here is something that I have not seen anybody consider. What would it do to her endorsements value to be the first and only player in history to have won five (count 'em, FIVE) National Championships? Might jack it up just a skosh, don't you think? Also, if the condition of her knee is such that it might blow out at any time, why in the name of common sense would she play in the WNBA for peanuts when she could play just about anywhere overseas for megabucks? Her knee would be just as much at risk wherever she played.
To repeat a phrase: Lordy, Lordy, Lordy---Who in the world is anointing Uconn another championship next year?? Have you seen the competetion without Stewie and Moriah??? USC-Wilson, a terrific scorer, blocker Turner--ditto (and a good to great supporting cast), Baylor, and on---Without Stewie and Moriah do you really think Uconn is a shoe in for another NC??
Butler, Collier, Katie Lou, Chong, Gabby--have never had to carry the team against top teams.

So Smarty Pants Tuck will opt to go to the WNBA and Europe/China and make some bucks and a salable name--Name recognition, if known widely enough has taken athletes further than all the degrees promised. She will graduate with Stew/Moriah and go 3, 4,5,6 in the draft--nice money.
Lew Alcindor had the same choice -- and yes he had name recognition--worth millions.

Look at Megan--if not for UConn and fans--she'd be working in the dark annals of some office--She has name recognition if only in CT and she has done well with it..Advanced degrees are overrated and overpriced. As Geno once said Uconn has many PHD waiters as Duke.

As some one said--only at years end will we really know--until then we have expressed our ARM PITS--(everyone has one)--if only to vent out ignorant thoughts. (Ignorant isn't a curse word--it only means you don't know what you don't know)

Reaction Score
I am a little surprised that no one has picked up on this sentence buried deep in John Altavilla's story in Wednesday's Courant:

"You can tell [Geno] will miss [the seniors], and it's beginning to look more and more, at least in the eyes of WNBA decision-makers, that Tuck will leave after this season, as opposed to accepting her medical hardship season."

He went on to quote Geno talking about the contributions of all three seniors, implicitly grouping them together as if none of them will be in Storrs next year.

I also saw Morgan quoted recently as saying that it has been her ambition to play in the WNBA since she was 14 years old. If that is true, then "carpet diem" would seem to be a relevant precept. The longer she spends in college, the greater the chance that her knee could blow up completely (as Shea's finally did), precluding any chance of a pro career. So if she considers it really important to experience the professional level of basketball, she had better seize that opportunity as soon as it presents itself.

Having said that, even though her play would warrant her being a lottery pick, I don't think she will be because of the knee issue. That probably means that she will be drafted later, by a better team, which can afford to risk its #1 draft pick on someone who will be great for as long as she can play, which may not be for very long.
The rug today???

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just another perspective - I wonder if Tuck has any notions about putting next year's team on her back. As to the knee I think reality has to set in and that is this is chronic and her playing time in the WNBA might be limited at best. If she commits it means almost no rest after the college season and a very abbreviated and tough WNBA schedule, presuming she plays for whatever team drafts her. Income at the WNBA level has a cap to it and I don't think she'd be able to augment that income by playing overseas, what with the knee problems she has. The counter - she comes back, gets her degree, hangs her hat on her collegiate laurels and makes her mark in the private sector, or coaching, who knows?
Two points:

1. I've thought for over a year that connections will be a factor for Morgan. I know she is strongly connected with Stewie and Moriah. That's a given. But if she feels very strongly connected to the younger players, coaching staff, fan base, and college life, that can offset the Class of 2016 connection. If she wants to tutor Gabby, Napheesa, and Natalie, that pull could be strong.

2. For all the WNBA rookies, the calendar from the senior season to the rookie year to a season abroad and back to the WNBA is brutal. It means constant play year-round. Maybe Morgan could use some rest. I'm worried about her knee.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I love Morgan! I have always thought she would leave when the time for the decision came- and never wavered. She's so mature for her age- well beyond her years. I think the knee issues may be secondary. This was my gut feeling over the summer, and it remains. She has nothing left to prove. She'll leave with her two amigos. We'll know by Senior Night I guess!!! I guess if she goes to mid court she's gone. Is there an earlier cut off than that?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
$50K greater than nothing was the point. $50K was for 1 summer was another point. Then what? She has the rest of the year (9 Months) to I don't know: get endorsements, coach, teach, work, rehab, go to grad school. Her education is not free and she travels to play basketball-lets not get that twisted- and from all that room and board and UCONN tuition mess that people keep talking about she cannot buy her mother a decent Christmas present like she will be able to do with her pay check from the WNBA. Morgan is a queen I give you that, but don't pretend that she has not given back UCONN more than UCONN has given her. It is time for her to move on, if that is what chooses to do. There is this great big world outside of UCONN WBB which Morgan needs to start conquering. For those that are thinking UCONN degree and the value of it, how about if Morgan graduates and goes to Harvard, Princeton or Yale or Duke or Stanford and get her graduate degree from there. That will set her up much better for conquering the world than spending another year at UCONN.
At one time I was skeptical about the value of leaving. But Coco all of your arguments simply make too much sense. I'd hate to see her go, but yes, there is an entire world out there other than Storrs. Better grad schools as well. Her real mark will be made there no matter how hallowed we think UCONN's walls, no matter how much value we see as her legacy at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Question about "Geno encouraging Tuck to leave" comments. I didn't hear the comment. But from the quotes it seemed like he said she should have Senior Game this year. To me, that does not equal leaving after this year, necessarily. I am thinking that perhaps he felt that she should celebrate with the teammates she came in with. She can decide later to stay or go. If she stays, we all hope that at the end of that year she can enjoy seeing her name on the Wall of Honor, even though it would not be her "senior game". Perhaps someone who heard the comment can clarify with context?

Reaction Score
In short, Morgan's career in the WNBA will only go as far as her knee will go !

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I would hate to see Morgan go.
But if she did, that would mean either she or Jefferson could play for the Sun.

Reaction Score
I would hate to see Morgan go.
But if she did, that would mean either she or Jefferson could play for the Sun.
I do like that the Sun is so close to Storrs. Whenever a UConn player ends up there, it's almost like they haven't left.

Reaction Score
Geno mentioned in his radio show last night that if he was asked by Morgan for a recommendation that he would tell her to graduate with Stewie and Moriah. I don't remember his exact quote.
She could still get her undergraduate degree and stay on for a graduate degree....if she wants to.

Reaction Score
Even if she feels she has made up her mind, either way, the fact is with so many important things to yet be decided this season (will her knee hold up or require a few more missed games, will UCONN with the NC, etc,) her logical and emotional reaction to the near future events means an actual decision will only be clear to her and the rest of us after UCONN wins (I won't think about the other possibility) the NC. It will be a powerful emotion that will have the strength to move a decision one way or the other. So, we talk and speculate, but ultimately certainty only comes in early April.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Question about "Geno encouraging Tuck to leave" comments. I didn't hear the comment. But from the quotes it seemed like he said she should have Senior Game this year. To me, that does not equal leaving after this year, necessarily. I am thinking that perhaps he felt that she should celebrate with the teammates she came in with. She can decide later to stay or go. If she stays, we all hope that at the end of that year she can enjoy seeing her name on the Wall of Honor, even though it would not be her "senior game". Perhaps someone who heard the comment can clarify with context?
This occurred to me also. I think it would be great if she did it this year, along with Mo, Stew, and Polly. People's hands will blister from all the clapping.

Reaction Score
Is Morgan getting her name on the wall like Stewie and Mo, or no?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Is Morgan getting her name on the wall like Stewie and Mo, or no?
She would have to be named as a first-team All American. That hasn't happened yet, but it might (should) happen this year. If it is announced before the NCAA tournament begins, then the ceremony could take place at one of the first two tournament games in Storrs.

Reaction Score
One good thing about this year is I believe the Senior Day game is being covered by SNY, so luckily we'll get good coverage of the pre-game ceremony unlike the past two seasons where we were at the mercy of CBSSN.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
According to John she will not do the senior thing with Stewart and Jefferson, but that is not going to be an indication either way. She will make her decision after the season in April, before the draft.

Reaction Score
I hope on senior day she announces that she will play for another year.
Is it too much to expect her to announce it on the court?

Reaction Score
I hope on senior day she announces that she will play for another year.
Is it too much to expect her to announce it on the court?
Yes. She will make/announce her decision after the season

Reaction Score
According to John she will not do the senior thing with Stewart and Jefferson, but that is not going to be an indication either way. She will make her decision after the season in April, before the draft.
So if she leaves she doesn't get a Senior Night celebration? That doesn't seem right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom