Morgan's Plans For Next Year -- New Info | The Boneyard

Morgan's Plans For Next Year -- New Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I am a little surprised that no one has picked up on this sentence buried deep in John Altavilla's story in Wednesday's Courant:

"You can tell [Geno] will miss [the seniors], and it's beginning to look more and more, at least in the eyes of WNBA decision-makers, that Tuck will leave after this season, as opposed to accepting her medical hardship season."

He went on to quote Geno talking about the contributions of all three seniors, implicitly grouping them together as if none of them will be in Storrs next year.

I also saw Morgan quoted recently as saying that it has been her ambition to play in the WNBA since she was 14 years old. If that is true, then "carpet diem" would seem to be a relevant precept. The longer she spends in college, the greater the chance that her knee could blow up completely (as Shea's finally did), precluding any chance of a pro career. So if she considers it really important to experience the professional level of basketball, she had better seize that opportunity as soon as it presents itself.

Having said that, even though her play would warrant her being a lottery pick, I don't think she will be because of the knee issue. That probably means that she will be drafted later, by a better team, which can afford to risk its #1 draft pick on someone who will be great for as long as she can play, which may not be for very long.

Reaction Score
Tuck seems to be ready to leave....I agree Chong will step up as she will no one to defer to. (Maybe she will be aspired to be the only NCAAW player who only loses one game in her four-year college career. That could also be a record!

Reaction Score
As well-known as she is currently, a master's degree will not make a difference in her getting a better job after her college career. She definitely would get a better job after a WNBA career.

Reaction Score
So as the only romantic to post so far.... there is nothing that she will do in the W that will compare, in the end, to her remaining here and leading her team on a quest for a fifth title. The routine of professional sport will be there in a year. She rolls the dice on injury wherever she goes. If her knee is that delicate she may only have a year left in it anyway.

She owes us nothing. If it's her dream to play in the WNBA and she fears that if she waits that dream may never happen, then she should go. But someday she'll look back and wonder if she could have Taurasi'd this young team to another title.

She doesn't stay here for just another year of college basketball, she stays here with a chance to make history.

She'll do well with either choice; she'll do well in life, but if she stays here she'll have a chance to be a legend. If she moves on we'll look for her name in the box scores next year and be happy for her when she plays well. And we'll miss her.

Reaction Score
I hesitate a bit to write this... after all I have lurked on this site 2-3 years before joining and posting. But as I have lurked one thing tempted me over and over and that was a continual thread of "if you don't come to UConn you won't win a national championship." There is nothing wrong with winning national championships. Actually it is amazing.

Stewie came to win 4 and I cannot see anyone stopping her. She, Jefferson & Tuck have played magnificently together... unselfish, amazing teamwork, etc.

But all that said, I think national championships can be overrated. Even going to the Final Four might be. It's not even about winning, really. It's about your dreams. It's about living your life in a way that at the end of it you can look back and smile and be satisfied that you gave all - that you followed your dream. My field is not athletics or sports and in my field I have not done anything equal to a national championship or a Final Four. Yet, I look back and am satisfied that all is well. I answered the call.

I imagine that if a woman comes out of high school and her dream is to be a part of a team and lead them to be better than they were before - then sitting on a bench of a Final Four team might not fulfill their dream no matter how many NCs they win.

Tuck has blessed us with many great moments of basketball. I hope her dreams are fulfilled.

Reaction Score
I talked to Morgan at Autograph night and she said, she's having the time of her life and could get her Masters and play and possibly go for a 5th title & she's finally healthy and can play like she dreamed she could. I was positive then she'd be back for her 5th year!
Saying what was in Oct. things have changed now, I think Morgan now feels she only has so many games left in her knee and doesn't want to miss out on her dream of playing in the WNBA! So now it's not so cut & dried. I now feel it's 50/50 whether she stays or goes!
I'd love for her to stay as she'd be the "straw that stirs the drink." She would be the person that settles the young players down & makes them better!
I'd want her to make the decision that makes HER happy.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As well-known as she is currently, a master's degree will not make a difference in her getting a better job after her college career. She definitely would get a better job after a WNBA career.
As Coco Husky also said and which finally penetrated my thick head.

Reaction Score

Actually, given the fragility of her knee, an MBA would be -long term - the better choice.
Remember, the WNBA is short money and coming right after the long season and the Final Four victory, there won't be a lot of time to rest.
Heck, 5 Championships at UCONN would be just as impressive on a resume as four plus a year in the WNBA.
As others have said, this will be a decision by the heart not the head.

Reaction Score
Geno mentioned in his radio show last night that if he was asked by Morgan for a recommendation that he would tell her to graduate with Stewie and Moriah. I don't remember his exact quote.

Reaction Score
This is like the Presidential polls on who will win..........We must wait until election day or the Senior Night or maybe, the end of the season in INDY!!!.........Go Morgan!!

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt Geno is pushing one of the best players we've ever had out the door. Signs that Morgan was considering skipping her fifth year of eligibility have been there since media day. People chose to cling to that one "I'm definitely coming back" quote while ignoring others that showed the decision was not as settled in her mind as it was ours. What has changed since October that would make her change her mind? The team is right where everyone knew it would be on February 11th. My guess is she was always on the fence about it, and now that her teammates/classmates/pledgemates are preparing for graduation, she wants to be a part of it with them.

Reaction Score
Geno mentioned in his radio show last night that if he was asked by Morgan for a recommendation that he would tell her to graduate with Stewie and Moriah. I don't remember his exact quote.

And if she plays in the WNBA for one summer who is to say that it didn't worth it? Also, many here have forgotten or are ignoring the significance of graduating with your class. Coming back for another year will never be the same without her partners in crime. This may account for why a player may transfer and play their last year at another school.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I seriously doubt Geno is pushing one of the best players we've ever had out the door. Signs that Morgan was considering skipping her fifth year of eligibility have been there since media day. People chose to cling to that one "I'm definitely coming back" quote while ignoring others that showed the decision was not as settled in her mind as it was ours. What has changed since October that would make her change her mind? The team is right where everyone knew it would be on February 11th. My guess is she was always on the fence about it, and now that her teammates/classmates/pledgemates are preparing for graduation, she wants to be a part of it with them.
Did you hear him with Bob Joyce last night?

Reaction Score
It wouldn't surprise me if when she made the "coming back" statement, her knee felt great and she didn't anticipate any further problems with it. As the season progressed and the soreness set in, it may have altered her thinking and accelerated her WNBA priorities.

Reaction Score
Actually, given the fragility of her knee, an MBA would be -long term - the better choice.
Remember, the WNBA is short money and coming right after the long season and the Final Four victory, there won't be a lot of time to rest.
Heck, 5 Championships at UCONN would be just as impressive on a resume as four plus a year in the WNBA.
As others have said, this will be a decision by the heart not the head.

I am not talking about a 9 to 5 job. Most players on the WNBA donate a big percentage of their salary to charity. EDD, Diggins, Sue Bird and may more make at least 4 or 5 times their salary by endorsements or broadcasting. And if the body holds up, they play overseas. That is even more.

Geno is a great person and he is taking pressure off her by saying what he said. The focus now is on him and that is his job to get the freshmen and Natalie ready for next year without Morgan.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She has said on at least a half dozen occasions she intended to come back. It wasn't just media day. Most recently was on SNY.

Geno's comments connected to the sentimentality of Senior Night.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I am not talking about a 9 to 5 job. Most players on the WNBA donate a big percentage of their salary to charity. EDD, Diggins, Sue Bird and may more make at least 4 or 5 times their salary by endorsements or broadcasting. And if the body holds up, they play overseas. That is even more.

Geno is a great person and he is taking pressure off her by saying what he said. The focus now is on him and that is his job to get the freshmen and Natalie ready for next year without Morgan.
I agree with Goodgood. I think that Geno wants her to stay, but doesn't want her to feel guilty if she opts to leave without taking her 5th year. In making the comments he did, he takes the pressure off her to stand by the remarks she made earlier this year. If she wants to come back, Geno will welcome her with open arms, but he understands if she decides to moves on to her next dream. It's reminiscent of the old "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was." Geno is giving Morgan an out, but hopes she decides to stay.

Reaction Score
Of course she will graduate this year with Mo & Stewie ! Then she would go to grad school or the WNBA. Either way she has to decide about Senior night ? I would assume she will celebrate with the other two but she can decide after the final four on her future.

Reaction Score
She has said on at least a half dozen occasions she intended to come back. It wasn't just media day. Most recently was on SNY.

Geno's comments connected to the sentimentality of Senior Night.
And she also made comments about her pro career and the money consideration, and that her preference has always been to graduate with her class at media day or around that time. In my opinion she's given mixed signals on this for quite a while now. I've always hoped she'd return, but never considered it more than 50-50. Just a couple of weeks ago on SNY they said Morgan was still struggling with the decision of whether or not to return. I think people read way too much into that one comment she made about definitely coming back.

I do wonder why Geno would push her out when earlier in the season he said they would welcome her back if she chose to return, and that was before she went out to rest her knees. Pushing her out implies the decision to leave isn't going to be entirely Morgan's which is a little disappointing to hear if true.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And she also made comments about her pro career and the money consideration, and that her preference has always been to graduate with her class at media day or around that time. In my opinion she's given mixed signals on this for quite a while now. I've always hoped she'd return, but never considered it more than 50-50. Just a couple of weeks ago on SNY they said Morgan was still struggling with the decision of whether or not to return. I think people read way too much into that one comment she made about definitely coming back.

I do wonder why Geno would push her out when earlier in the season he said they would welcome her back if she chose to return, and that was before she went out to rest her knees. Pushing her out implies the decision to leave isn't going to be entirely Morgan's which is a little disappointing to hear if true.
Good lordy!. I must have missed the part where Geno was "pushing her out".

Reaction Score
I don't know her major, but how is playing in the WNBA better than a Master's degree? Unless you are talking about some job concerning basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom