Morgan's Plans For Next Year -- New Info | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Morgan's Plans For Next Year -- New Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is like the Presidential polls on who will win.....We must wait until election day or the Senior Night or maybe, the end of the season in INDY!!!....Go Morgan!!
No its not because Morgan is smarter than all of them and they would carry her bags to the oval office!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Here is something that I have not seen anybody consider. What would it do to her endorsements value to be the first and only player in history to have won five (count 'em, FIVE) National Championships? Might jack it up just a skosh, don't you think? Also, if the condition of her knee is such that it might blow out at any time, why in the name of common sense would she play in the WNBA for peanuts when she could play just about anywhere overseas for megabucks? Her knee would be just as much at risk wherever she played.

Reaction Score
I don't know her major, but how is playing in the WNBA better than a Master's degree? Unless you are talking about some job concerning basketball.

A Master's degree is for people like you and me. People with fame don't need one. In fact, they don't even need a degree.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Z, That and both Diana and Sue have noted the availability of the kind of PT and other care in the pros is significantly less than at UCONN. I noted your exact argument last week.

Reaction Score
Here is something that I have not seen anybody consider. What would it do to her endorsements value to be the first and only player in history to have won five (count 'em, FIVE) National Championships? Might jack it up just a skosh, don't you think? Also, if the condition of her knee is such that it might blow out at any time, why in the name of common sense would she play in the WNBA for peanuts when she could play just about anywhere overseas for megabucks? Her knee would be just as much at risk wherever she played.

Not really, especially that she got one while red-shirted. She would be more famous going out with Stewie and Mo as the best class ever at UConn. And she will be linked with Stewie and Mo forever.

Reaction Score
Good lordy!. I must have missed the part where Geno was "pushing her out".
Icebear said it or implied it. No idea if Geno said it. I taped last night's show and have yet to watch it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Icebear said it or implied it. No idea if Geno said it. I taped last night's show and have yet to watch it.
Yea. Geno is being a big bully pushing Morgan out the door like that. I'll have to mention this to Nona when I see her on Sunday. She'll get Geno right! :cool::eek:

Reaction Score
A Master's degree is for people like you and me. People with fame don't need one. In fact, they don't even need a degree.
If you remember, Geno would not let DT back on campus until she got her degree. He is very proud of his players developing as polished women; intellectually, personally, and basketball wise.

Reaction Score
Fame doesn't give you knowledge or good judgment. I read all the time how famous people, not like you and me, are filing for bankruptcy, charged with avoiding taxes, and every other thing that happens to regular people. I can't help but think that those famous people might have benefited from a Master's degree in their chosen field of investment.

Reaction Score
Just another perspective - I wonder if Tuck has any notions about putting next year's team on her back. As to the knee I think reality has to set in and that is this is chronic and her playing time in the WNBA might be limited at best. If she commits it means almost no rest after the college season and a very abbreviated and tough WNBA schedule, presuming she plays for whatever team drafts her. Income at the WNBA level has a cap to it and I don't think she'd be able to augment that income by playing overseas, what with the knee problems she has. The counter - she comes back, gets her degree, hangs her hat on her collegiate laurels and makes her mark in the private sector, or coaching, who knows?

Reaction Score
The tea leaves have been pointing in this direction for a while, especially after the most recent period of missing games due to chronic knee problems.

If you've followed sports (or politics, or any high-visibility profession) for long enough, you learn always to take what is said with a grain of salt. That's not to say Morgan was lying when she said in October she has no intention of leaving after this year. But at that point, she was saying the prudent thing, to avoid stirring up controversy. It would have been the prudent thing to say whether she knew she was coming back, knew she was leaving, or hadn't decided.

But at the end of the day, these are business decisions. We saw it with Jewell Loyd. It shouldn't be surprising that the pure business decision for Morgan is to start her professional career as soon as possible, since she only has limited time in the sport. That's become even more evident in recent weeks. If she wants a Masters degree, she can always get that later. She can't always play basketball.

This was always the likely outcome.

That said, I will be happy to be wrong if she surprises and decides to come back.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just another perspective - I wonder if Tuck has any notions about putting next year's team on her back. As to the knee I think reality has to set in and that is this is chronic and her playing time in the WNBA might be limited at best. If she commits it means almost no rest after the college season and a very abbreviated and tough WNBA schedule, presuming she plays for whatever team drafts her. Income at the WNBA level has a cap to it and I don't think she'd be able to augment that income by playing overseas, what with the knee problems she has. The counter - she comes back, gets her degree, hangs her hat on her collegiate laurels and makes her mark in the private sector, or coaching, who knows?
WNBA salaries capped?
WNBA Minimum salary =$50, 607 for 1 Summer of Basketball!
UCONN Income =$0 May 2016-April 2017.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Geno is beyond the point of pushing someone out. If a kid wants to sit on our bench for 4 years, he will let them do that. If they want to leave and get more playing time or better individual stats, he won't stop them. He has always done what is best for the player/student. The program is bigger than one player and kids like to play for him for as much as cares about them as a person as he does a player.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Z, That and both Diana and Sue have noted the availability of the kind of PT and other care in the pros is significantly less than at UCONN. I noted your exact argument last week.
Br'er Bear; Then you were, of course, exactly correct and perspicacious. I missed your post.

Reaction Score
Has Morgan ever said anything about coaching? She's often described as a "coach on the floor." She's the hardest worker in practice. Her leadership is unchallengeable - Geno once said that she'd been the elected captain of every international team she has ever played on. Maybe a 5th year as a player while enrolled in graduate school. Then a year as a graduate assistant (a la Jaz Lister) and if an opening occurred at UCONN - Assistant Coach. Why not?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yea. Geno is being a big bully pushing Morgan out the door like that. I'll have to mention this to Nona when I see her on Sunday. She'll get Geno right! :cool::eek:
In pushing her out the door I didn't mean aggressively but rather like a mother bird pushing young birds out of the nest. The tone of the comments on Joyce's show was pretty clear. It wasn't negative just something of a strong nudge.

Reaction Score
Been There Done That!!

So if I were her Daddy..her Agent (to be) ...or the family s financial adviser I would, lay out a seven year plan.

1. Graduate with your class.

2.- Return for your 5th year and win your 5 ring, and get your Masters!!

3.- Move to the European/Russian Pro's… Barter for a 2 year, 3 million dollar contract, with options for the 4 & 5 year. The Russians would probably jump on this….Five year National Champion … Never before done ...Probably will never be matched… A decent PR firm would go nuts with her credentials.

4.- Hire a sound financial adviser, with state and off shore interests.

5.- After 4 -5 years and a ton of $$$, retire.

6.- Come back to the states and sign with a WNBA club, play 1 to 2 years for the resume factor.

7.- Retire, and sit back and enjoy life but tell UConn when one of the assistants move on, “I would like to be considered.

8.- Sign with UConn, $100K to cover expenses, and teach and “What A Recruiting Tool”

9.- When ready, meet the right guy, have a family, maybe retire and enjoy the well

founded $$$$$$$$$ ….

Bill in Georgia
"A 20+ Year Board Member"

Reaction Score
WNBA salaries capped?
Coco, That's if it's all about money. I'd hope that a mature young woman like Morgan would assess her future more carefully than by allowing herself to be lured away from here over fifty thousand dollars. (What does a year of graduate school cost in Storrs?).

And if coaching is in her future (a girl who loves basketball but has a bad knee does what to stay in the game?) than where better to osmotically gain experience than by spending another year with Geno?

I'm surprised that so many Board members seem to think that hers will be stricctly a business decision. There is, or should be, more at play here. (By the way if it is about the money, how much more is Shea making here than she ever made playing pro?)

Morgan is standing at a crossroad. We can all hope that she'll do what's best for her and that she won't be swayed by the promise of a small paycheck (to play professionally part time), or by a bunch of oldtimers who want to see her stay on here for our future entertainment.

As has been pointed out by several here, some of whom may be in the know, in her mind she might be gone already. But if she does leave I hope its not for the promise of a WNBA salary, but rather because she's pursueing a dream.

Reaction Score
WNBA salaries capped?
50K and then what? 50K goes nowhere these days.. Another year at UCONN - free education, free R&B, travel, treated like a queen, priceless...

Reaction Score
Actually, given the fragility of her knee, an MBA would be -long term - the better choice.
Remember, the WNBA is short money and coming right after the long season and the Final Four victory, there won't be a lot of time to rest.
Heck, 5 Championships at UCONN would be just as impressive on a resume as four plus a year in the WNBA.
As others have said, this will be a decision by the heart not the head.

Maybe she should just compromise and join the WMBA.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
50K and then what? 50K goes nowhere these days.. Another year at UCONN - free education, free R&B, travel, treated like a queen, priceless...
$50K greater than nothing was the point. $50K was for 1 summer was another point. Then what? She has the rest of the year (9 Months) to I don't know: get endorsements, coach, teach, work, rehab, go to grad school. Her education is not free and she travels to play basketball-lets not get that twisted- and from all that room and board and UCONN tuition mess that people keep talking about she cannot buy her mother a decent Christmas present like she will be able to do with her pay check from the WNBA. Morgan is a queen I give you that, but don't pretend that she has not given back UCONN more than UCONN has given her. It is time for her to move on, if that is what chooses to do. There is this great big world outside of UCONN WBB which Morgan needs to start conquering. For those that are thinking UCONN degree and the value of it, how about if Morgan graduates and goes to Harvard, Princeton or Yale or Duke or Stanford and get her graduate degree from there. That will set her up much better for conquering the world than spending another year at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Been There Done That!!

So if I were her Daddy..her Agent (to be) ...or the family s financial adviser I would, lay out a seven year plan.

3.- Move to the European/Russian Pro's… Barter for a 2 year, 3 million dollar contract, with options for the 4 & 5 year. The Russians would probably jump on this….Five year National Champion … Never before done ...Probably will never be matched… A decent PR firm would go nuts with her credentials.

4.- Hire a sound financial adviser, with state and off shore interests.

5.- After 4 -5 years and a ton of $$$, retire.

6.- Come back to the states and sign with a WNBA club, play 1 to 2 years for the resume factor.

7.- Retire, and sit back and enjoy life but tell UConn when one of the assistants move on, “I would like to be considered.

8.- Sign with UConn, $100K to cover expenses, and teach and “What A Recruiting Tool”

9.- When ready, meet the right guy, have a family, maybe retire and enjoy the well

founded $$$$$$$$$ ….

Bill in Georgia
"A 20+ Year Board Member"
That's DT money - very very top of the scale. For a less flashy kid right out of school with no WNBA resume and questionable knees? Not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Coaches in the WNBA might insist that Morgan play more minutes than Geno would if she stayed a 5th year at UConn. What if during play her knee gets even more damaged and complete recovery is never an option. Should a 22 year old woman risk being in pain or losing mobility for the rest of her life? There are already too many former athletes hobbling around now with severe arthritis in repaired joints and other afflictions that are a direct result of too much pounding playing sports.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
So as the only romantic to post so far.... there is nothing that she will do in the W that will compare, in the end, to her remaining here and leading her team on a quest for a fifth title. The routine of professional sport will be there in a year. She rolls the dice on injury wherever she goes. If her knee is that delicate she may only have a year left in it anyway.

She owes us nothing. If it's her dream to play in the WNBA and she fears that if she waits that dream may never happen, then she should go. But someday she'll look back and wonder if she could have Taurasi'd this young team to another title.

She doesn't stay here for just another year of college basketball, she stays here with a chance to make history.

She'll do well with either choice; she'll do well in life, but if she stays here she'll have a chance to be a legend. If she moves on we'll look for her name in the box scores next year and be happy for her when she plays well. And we'll miss her.
"Taurasi'd." Another WCBB neologism that I like almost as much as "Barncastled."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom