Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't say anything about us being number 2. I've been pretty clear anything less than the Sweet 16 is a disappointment. As for prediction, we exit in the Elite 8
Hooooo boy I hope you are right. That would quadruple dan Hurley’s tournament win total in his whole coaching career. Bold prediction!

Reaction Score
Have you ever, EVER, seen a double screen by UConn? Let alone a properly set single screen? I double down on the one-on-one, playground description of our offense.

“Playground” offense works if you have a distributing, penetrating point guard: Shabazz, Kemba.

We don’t.

Do any of you people who only post after losses actually watch the games? Saying this team runs a “playground” offense is honestly moronic.

Reaction Score
Disappointing is my feeling right now about this team. UConn has the best raw talent in the BE and came up "fourth" in both the BE regular season and Tourny. Definitely not one of Hurley's best games, especially down the stretch. There is a difference between Good and Great and thats where this team is at - just good. Cant pull out the close ones when it counts. We saw this numerous times during the losing streak and we see it again tonight. We were near 5 point favorites against Marquette for a reason . A great team would have won this game.
I think this team is very good, but yes I agree they are not great. With great UConn teams I didn’t worry about match ups and the draw. For this NCAAT I am worried about bad match ups

Reaction Score
IMO DH is NOT on the hot seat. Not close either. You guys remember where this program was when he started? You remember our record the year he took over? I do - we were 14-18. We are now trying to figure out if we are a 3 or 4 seed going into the NCAA Tournament and also have a great class coming in with good pieces already on roster. Yeah we lost, but it was by 2 to the number 6 team in the country and our best pure scorer going 2-11. We lost a toss up game, it happens. We have the pieces to make a nice run. We are capable.

Reaction Score
Yes. We run Hawkins off double screens every game. What are you watching?
I think the on ball screens need to be better for Newton/whoever is running point. Marquette’s were so good, and some of them were only shows and not full on screens. Adama’s screens leave a lot to be desired, he doesn’t seems to get much contact on the defender

Reaction Score
IMO DH is NOT on the hot seat. Not close either. You guys remember where this program was when he started? You remember our record the year he took over? I do - we were 14-18. We are now trying to figure out if we are a 3 or 4 seed going into the NCAA Tournament and also have a great class coming in with good pieces already on roster. Yeah we lost, but it was by 2 to the number 6 team in the country and our best pure scorer going 2-11. We lost a toss up game, it happens. We have the pieces to make a nice run. We are capable.
Everyone knows where we were and how much we’ve improved. But we need to win when it counts. If we don’t this year, the talk gets louder.

Reaction Score
Yes, we set literally hundreds of screens a game and Hawkins runs off double screens to get 3's non-stop. This is just an incredibly dumb take
And Hawk was very closely guarded tonight. He didn’t hit his opportunities but he tried to free up. I credit Marquette. The good news is that we have answers on our roster that give us a chance for a good run.

Reaction Score
But this is the best team Hurley has had and may ever have at UConn. There's no such thing as a step forward year in college basketball with one and done players and the portal. You need to win now with what you have as you can just as easily be worse next year, your competitors can get better, recruits not gel or any combination of these. It's a different world now. Like Apollo Creed said, "There is no tomorrow!" or Eminem said, "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow, this opportunity comes once in a lifetime." I encourage all players to listen to Eminem before every big game. The ultimate hype and focus song. Sieze the moment, or let it slip by.
I'm confused...is the season over? This season has been better than last but by no means is anyone satisfied. Let's talk next week.

Reaction Score
Okay, who recruits the players, creates and instills the philosophy, picks the coaching staff, calls the plays, picks the subbing pattern, calls the timeouts, and gets paid the big bucks?

It’s year 5. He’s gotten every player he wanted.
If you call a time out with 5 seconds left, Marquette is so quick, they will just switch every pick.

Calcaterra had 3 wide open 3s. Hawkins had twi as well.

Gotta knockdown shots.

Next weekend, if they get the same shots they probably will win.

I think both teams played well. Does anyone not like the shots UConn got last 3 minutes? And those came with really amazing ball pressure.

UConn doesn’t have a breakdown player and an elite ball handler. Give credit to a very good Marquette team .

Reaction Score
Nope, he was cutting and using screens but you don’t think Shaka knows he’s one of the country’s best shooter? That was their defense on him.
Umm the Player the Year candidate from Marquette seemed to find ways to get open. I didn’t see to many double teams on Hawkins unless I missed it.

I agree the defense was good but he needed to be better tonight,

Reaction Score
OK, Xavier would have beaten us a 3rd time tomorrow. I’m not so upset anymore

Reaction Score
He’s recruiting well and getting good transfers. For people who are unhappy think about being St. John’s, Cuse, Georgetown. We are a top 20 program and probably staying that way with what’s coming. What do people want?

Reaction Score
I'm going to say something crazy: Xavier has a much better chance to advance in the tourney than Marquette. Of course, with a 2 seed, Marquette might have an easy path s it gets the 7-10 game in the 2nd round. But the BE does these teams no favors. Watching a lot of college ball, this is not a team that can compete with the best in the US. Kolek wins POY in this league, which is insane to me. He was in the Atlantic 10 and shot under 40% and under 30% from 3???? He deserved the award, but I think this league was overrated this year. 6 wins from playing DePaul, Butler and Georgetown for all the top teams.

I know in my brackets no BE team will get past the S16 except for UConn.

Reaction Score
Kolek is so good….

So good that I hate him. ( not really)
If he was in a Duke uniform, then I’d hate him(really)
Kolek is good but he missed a shot at the end as well. Joey C missed at least 3 under 5 minutes. I believe that Newton and Clingan both missed the front-end of 1 and 1's as well under 10. Need to be better in close game. But still enjoyable to watch and kind of nice to have that tight feeling again watching a MBB game.

Reaction Score
And Hawk was very closely guarded tonight. He didn’t hit his opportunities but he tried to free up. I credit Marquette. The good news is that we have answers on our roster that give us a chance for a good run.
Marquette has a guard that would be the missing link for us. We are 1 player short of being consistently very good if not great. It's who we are right now and all the screens in the world aren't going to change that. We can win some games but guard depth and quality wins championships.

Reaction Score
He had zero fouls. Hurley should have told him to force a couple of 3’s late and try snd draw fouls.
He drove a few times, did not draw fouls, lol.

I think we need to accept that UConn will not draw fouls on drives in the BE for the forseeable future.

Andre Jackson's 4th foul was comical given what we saw earlier.

Reaction Score
I think this team is very good, but yes I agree they are not great. With great UConn teams I didn’t worry about match ups and the draw. For this NCAAT I am worried about bad match ups
I’m not worried about draws. Focus on getting clean looks for your first team big East talents. Stop living by the 3 ball. Run, run, run. Play Clingan. We beat ourselves. Have we lost any game this year when we played well? I like the starting lineup of Newton Hawkins Alleyne Sanogo Karaban . Bring Jackson off the bench. It worked in Oregon. We should consider going back to it .

Reaction Score
Better get us now
Seriously!! They got us before, today and someone will get us next week if we can’t score more than four points in the last six minutes of a NCAA tournament game. So far, the “clutch” gene has not shown itself to be present in the DNA of this team. Promises of a brighter future are empty until they actually happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom