Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He’s recruiting well and getting good transfers. For people who are unhappy think about being St. John’s, Cuse, Georgetown. We are a top 20 program and probably staying that way with what’s coming. What do people want?
Natties

Reaction Score
Are you really impressed by them? I liked Xavier this year. Not seeing it with Marquette.
Yes, I think they're really good. Sure, they could lose in the second round but they won our league by 2 games (Big East is really good) and they're playing in the finals of the Big East tournament. They played Purdue tight and they beat Baylor by 30. I don't get your point about Kolek at all, he proved he's a great point guard this season and his shooting numbers are awesome for a guard.

Reaction Score
Honestly I'm negative often about the program so I get it, but you are insufferable. I even stopped watching the games after the Seton Hall loss because I needed a reboot and started watching again yesterday. What is it exactly that you are looking for? Other than winning a National Championship every year what would make you happy?
That is completely unfair. The last two years we won one BET tourney game and lost as the higher seed in round 1 of the tourney. We’re on the same track this year. I’d like to see improvement that’s what I’d like. No one EXPECTS a NC every year. But improvement would be nice. We ain’t improving. And it’s getting old.

Reaction Score
before the season there were 3 realistic goals

1) Sanogo to be player of the conference
2) Uconn to win regular season title
3) Uconn to win the tournament title

0-3, went from being ranked #1 to now a 4th place team in the big east. If anyone thinks this wasn't a disappointing season they're lying.
This is gonna age as well as your post saying we should replace Hurley with Nate Oats. Next time let us know the goals ahead of time, or maybe post anything on this board about the team and not just Dan Hurley

Reaction Score
No blame We had chances many x. I wish we won but we didn’t. Marquette not better but they won. Good luck to them
They beat us 2 out of 3, but they are not better than us! What other measure are you using that has any meaning??

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He was a little better tonight, but he’s been missing for a few games. Lots of blocked shots went missing. Lots of missed rebounds too. He’s too busy setting screens past the arc.
We needed him for the defense. We couldn’t guard the rim. We went zone, put Clingan in and we came back. His offense is a blessing at this point. He was dominating the “small forward” on him

Reaction Score
We were ranked 2 in the country. We'll be a 3 seed on Sunday. The team is considered a serious contender by most. It's a step forward.
Who cares about rankings and seedlings?? Let’s judge on results. So far the results aren’t any better.

Reaction Score
He had zero fouls. Hurley should have told him to force a couple of 3’s late and try snd draw fouls.
I just feel like the way they got up into him and how physical they were with him threw off his game entirely, Hawk is an elite jump shooter and all his shots tonight were way off, even the banked in 3 in the beginning of the game, they got to him physically and I hate to admit it but mentally

Reaction Score
Hawk was on the floor and gave it his all, Andre limited himself by bad defense and bad decision making
So we’re giving out participation trophies now? Hawkins has to score in this game. He’s no Ray, Rip, or Al Weston.

Reaction Score
I would be massively disappointed but until we start moving in the wrong direction I don’t even start to think about Hurley on the hot seat. Every year we improve on the court and recruiting
I’m going to preface this with saying I fully expect this team to at least make the S16.

But 3 years of BE semis exits and 2 first round exits isn’t the improvement that you’re referring to. The regular season has been great and it gets you to the dance, but you have to perform there. And we haven’t yet. If we are a 3/4 seed and get knocked out in round 1, we can’t really say there has been substantial improvement.

Reaction Score
So we’re giving out participation trophies now? Hawkins has to score in this game. He’s no Ray, Rip, or Al Weston.
No, but we’re certainly not giving out barely-participated trophies either.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think it is insane when someone gets to the hoop, like Newton did on the second-to-last possession, and has a rebounder like Sanogo on the weak side of the basket, and decides to kick it out. UConn is not alone in that insanity, but it is so frustrating.

Overall I was happy with UConn's performance. Marquette plays just a little more high percentage over the course of the game and that is why they win more often than they lose in games against other good teams.

Reaction Score
I think it is insane when someone gets to the hoop, like Newton did on the second-to-last possession, and has a rebounder like Sanogo on the weak side of the basket, and decides to kick it out. UConn is not alone in that insanity, but it is so frustrating.

Overall I was happy with UConn's performance. Marquette plays just a little more high percentage over the course of the game and that is why they win more often than they lose in games against other good teams.
They flow a lot better and never look rushed. Kolek is a top notch floor general and is incredibly crafty.

Reaction Score
IMO DH is NOT on the hot seat. Not close either. You guys remember where this program was when he started? You remember our record the year he took over? I do - we were 14-18. We are now trying to figure out if we are a 3 or 4 seed going into the NCAA Tournament and also have a great class coming in with good pieces already on roster. Yeah we lost, but it was by 2 to the number 6 team in the country and our best pure scorer going 2-11. We lost a toss up game, it happens. We have the pieces to make a nice run. We are capable.
We were also capable the last two years. Potential doesn’t mean squat if it’s not fulfilled.

caw

Reaction Score
Okay, who recruits the players, creates and instills the philosophy, picks the coaching staff, calls the plays, picks the subbing pattern, calls the timeouts, and gets paid the big bucks?

It’s year 5. He’s gotten every player he wanted.

And he has the team back to being a top ten team nationally, who just lost to another top ten team by 2 points. I don't see the problem right now. I swear some of ya'll make it seem like we just had a Syracuse or Georgetown type year.

Hurley needs to keep at it and keep improving but he's pretty much where he should be in year 5.

I have no problem with the philosophy, coaching staff, play calls, or sub patterns.

Recruiting is a toss up. He basically has gotten every player we could hope for as freshmen and transfers, except a good freshman PG. Not sure why that is, but we shall see next year, Castle and Ball are the first two I have high hopes for at that position as freshmen. The ones before were career backups at best.

There are maybe a handful of coaches better right now than Hurley and I'm not sure any are available or a better fit for UConn.

Reaction Score
AD Dave Benedict would be my hero if he announced we were leaving the BE for another conference. It's a 2 way street and UCONN has been hamstung the entire season. I'm talking even the MAC, that's how tired I am of the BE. Good riddance.

Reaction Score
I’m going to preface this with saying I fully expect this team to at least make the S16.

But 3 years of BE semis exits and 2 first round exits isn’t the improvement that you’re referring to. The regular season has been great and it gets you to the dance, but you have to perform there. And we haven’t yet. If we are a 3/4 seed and get knocked out in round 1, we can’t really say there has been substantial improvement.

A 3 seed is improvement. That’s not really debatable that’s a fact.

If we were in a situation that this was expected to be our best case team and next year a rebuilding year you could argue it’s not improving fast enough. But that’s not the situation. This was expected to be a pretty good team with next year being a year to get really excited about.

I would be massively disappointed with another first round exit. But changing coaches isn’t about “I’m mad so let’s blame someone.” Changing coaches is about the program not being capable of getting to where it needs to be. And there’s no way to argue that’s where we’re at when the team keeps getting better and we keep bringing in better recruits

Reaction Score
I just feel like the way they got up into him and how physical they were with him threw off his game entirely, Hawk is an elite jump shooter and all his shots tonight were way off, even the banked in 3 in the beginning of the game, they got to him physically and I hate to admit it but mentally
He's hyped as a great shooter and even hyped by some as the best shooter in the country yet he's 37% from three on the season and 35% from three on the Big East season. He has a super quick release, his form is beautiful, he's high volume and he makes some tough shots but it's starting to feel like he may be a bit overrated as a shooter and his offensive game is so dependent on that one skill.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Didn’t read all of this. Ultimately Hawkins was 2-11 and that’s the game. Hopefully he will bounce back.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He's hyped as a great shooter and even hyped by some as the best shooter in the country yet he's 37% from three on the season and 35% from three on the Big East season. He has a super quick release, his form is beautiful, he's high volume and he makes some tough shots but it's starting to feel like he may be a bit overrated as a shooter and his offensive game is so dependent on that one skill.
I’d argue Karaban is actually our best most consistent shooter. Hawkins is definitely more of a rhythm shooter than a consistent shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom