Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's hyped as a great shooter and even hyped by some as the best shooter in the country yet he's 37% from three on the season and 35% from three on the Big East this season. He has a super quick release, his form is beautiful, he's high volume and he makes some tough shots but it's starting to feel like he may be a bit overrated as a shooter and his offensive game is so dependent on that one skill.

I agree with this, he’s more of a great shooting prospect than a great college shooter.

Very good player for us but I don’t think hes ready to be “the guy” for us.

caw

Reaction Score
High ceiling but low floor. I guess that’s why us fans are unsettled because there is so much variation

What constitutes a low floor?

UConn has lost to a top 5 or 6 team by 2 points.

If anything, UConn has a high floor but a fluctuating ceiling. A low floor is like saying you expect them to struggle in the first round. This UConn team shouldn't be upset in the first round and should make it to the sweet sixteen. After that, it's a toss up. That's a high floor. There is also enough of a possibility of UConn winning it all to say the ceiling is high, but they could also be bounced in the sweet sixteen.

Last year's team had a low floor and a mid-tier ceiling once Hawkins got injured, because that killed their depth and they were too flawed in terms of personnel.

I will be upset if and only if they don't at least make the sweet sixteen (unless the seeding is much worse than expected).

Are you really impressed by them? I liked Xavier this year. Not seeing it with Marquette.

I said after the first Marquette game they were the most impressive BE team I had seen UConn play, I stand by that. They beat UConn twice without getting some absurd foul disparity. No other team can say that. They have flaws but there are no great teams this year in college ball. Lots of pundits are underrating Marquette, even now.

They play good enough defense, and play great offense. They have some center issues but make up for that by attacking the paint with Kolek.

UConn is also the only team that beat them by more than 5 points all year.

Reaction Score
I’m going to preface this with saying I fully expect this team to at least make the S16.

But 3 years of BE semis exits and 2 first round exits isn’t the improvement that you’re referring to. The regular season has been great and it gets you to the dance, but you have to perform there. And we haven’t yet. If we are a 3/4 seed and get knocked out in round 1, we can’t really say there has been substantial improvement.
True
Lots of Hurley apologists
A program like UConn is measured by what happens in March. Unless mediocrity and just being middle of the pack is now the acceptable standard at UConn. 5 yrs and no big wins in March . It's time for a visit to the 2nd weekend and sweet 16 in NCAA tourney or his belongs firmly on the hot seat for next season

Reaction Score
I agree with this, he’s more of a great shooting prospect than a great college shooter.

Very good player for us but I don’t think hes ready to be “the guy” for us.
Yup. It’s interesting what kind of pro prospect a guy is, but I’m much more concerned about how good a college player a guy is or will be. Hawk is a big time NBA player. But let’s be honest — he’s a good college player, but not a great one. The improvement by having him in the lineup as opposed to Martin is, frankly, marginal.

Reaction Score
Yup. It’s interesting what kind of pro prospect a guy is, but I’m much more concerned about how good a college player a guy is or will be. Hawk is a big time NBA player. But let’s be honest — he’s a good college player, but not a great one. The improvement by having him in the lineup as opposed to Martin is, frankly, marginal.
He doesn't look like he'll be a big time NBA player to me. He could possibly become one if he develops but he has some serious flaws with his physical profile and game right now. NBA can be an unforgiving place when you have a lot of things to figure out.

Reaction Score
Have you ever, EVER, seen a double screen by UConn? Let alone a properly set single screen? I double down on the one-on-one, playground description of our offense.

“Playground” offense works if you have a distributing, penetrating point guard: Shabazz, Kemba.

We don’t.
Is that the wine talking?

Reaction Score
Our ceiling in the tournament will be S16. Can't have F4 ambitions when Hawkins always has the chance to completely no show against some team. All our star championship guards balled out when it mattered most including Rip, BG, Kemba, Shabazz, Boat.
Lack of a go to scorer will be our undoing

Reaction Score
Guy it was a 2 point margin and UConn had the ball with a chance to win on the last possession. Implying that it was some kind of comfortable Marquette win is just more Boneyard silliness.
Where on earth was that implied in my post? We’re a very good team and Marquette is too. They beat us and I am impressed with how they played. I never said it was one sided or a comfortable win lmao.

Reaction Score
The play of AJax and Newton left A LOT to be desired... Clingan did his best imitation of Wilt by not being able to sink an FT... And on, and on...we all know the rest...make those missed FTs and they win the game...

Reaction Score
I knew he was going to have a bad game when he missed both FT to start the game. The moment was too big
He didn’t play enough to have a bad game. Foul trouble kept him on the bench. Only played 15 minutes.

Reaction Score
He's hyped as a great shooter and even hyped by some as the best shooter in the country yet he's 37% from three on the season and 35% from three on the Big East season. He has a super quick release, his form is beautiful, he's high volume and he makes some tough shots but it's starting to feel like he may be a bit overrated as a shooter and his offensive game is so dependent on that one skill.
I mean you answered your own question. The volume and difficulty of his shots is what makes him one of the best shooters in the country. It's impressive to go 2/5 from 3 on wide open kick outs and pick and pops. It's a whole nother animal to go the equivalent of 4/11 with a defense keying against you entirely. The number of people that can do that (and defend at a high level) is like 5 people in the country.

Even though it's only 2 made on 6 additional shots, the impact and what it creates for your offense by warping the defense is a huge difference. And one of the tenets of the skill/usage curve is that each additional shot attempt you average is harder than the previous ones.

But he's entering a mini slump at the worst time of the season. Hopefully he can lock back in for the NCAAs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's hyped as a great shooter and even hyped by some as the best shooter in the country yet he's 37% from three on the season and 35% from three on the Big East season. He has a super quick release, his form is beautiful, he's high volume and he makes some tough shots but it's starting to feel like he may be a bit overrated as a shooter and his offensive game is so dependent on that one skill.

I’m surprised your view is so polarized after this one game. I don’t think he is either hyped or overrated. He had a off game.

Take a look at last few games, he has a decent handle, a mid range game, and can get to the rim with either hand or a dunk.

IIRC, you had high praise for him after he made a couple NBA level moves in one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom