Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yes, we hope we win against the far lesser programs. It shouldn’t even be an issue

Reaction Score
Only reason Joey was in so much I think and was in that spot was Hawk was a disaster. If Hawk is scoring Joey isn't getting that much time and being asked to carry that load.
He was in for Andre. Alleyne may have been a better choice but hindsight is 20/20. He had several good looks. Just didn't bury them. Happens.

caw

Reaction Score
And that goes to the can’t win close games argument

Which isn’t an indication Hurley is a bad coach, it’s an indication the team is flawed.

Newton is a good PG but he’s not a break you down type player. This team doesn’t have that one guy who can just get a bucket when you need one without multiple screens.

Hawkins is an NBA level player but more of an NBA level role player. Thats what this team is, all role players ( very good, even great role players, but role players).

Perhaps an issue with recruiting. Hopeful something remedied by next years recruiting class.

Reaction Score
My only complaint is that we didn’t call a TO at the end.

Hawkins still has a lot to work on.
It comes down to this. Rebound 10 seconds left, defense scrambled. Newton at half court at 8. U have it call it there. But, Hurley probably liked the scramble mode and disorganization. With 5 left? That’s too late, imo.

Newton downhill and Hawkins gets it on wing. Make a play.

If you call timeout with 5 seconds…that allows defense to setup and matchup. I would rather have Hawkins or Newton downhill. Team got great shots last 2-3 minutes.

What ya gonna do?

Reaction Score
Everyone still out here for moral victories when we were the favorites coming in. Nothing to show for it.
Honestly I'm negative often about the program so I get it, but you are insufferable. I even stopped watching the games after the Seton Hall loss because I needed a reboot and started watching again yesterday. What is it exactly that you are looking for? Other than winning a National Championship every year what would make you happy?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Which isn’t an indication Hurley is a bad coach, it’s an indication the team is flawed.

Newton is a good PG but he’s not a break you down type player. This team doesn’t have that one guy who can just get a bucket when you need one without multiple screens.

Hawkins is an NBA level player but more of an NBA level role player. Thats what this team is, all role players ( very good, even great role players, but role players).

Perhaps an issue with recruiting. Hopeful something remedied by next years recruiting class.
Okay, who recruits the players, creates and instills the philosophy, picks the coaching staff, calls the plays, picks the subbing pattern, calls the timeouts, and gets paid the big bucks?

It’s year 5. He’s gotten every player he wanted.

Reaction Score
He was in for Andre. Alleyne may have been a better choice but hindsight is 20/20. He had several good looks. Just didn't bury them. Happens.
My mistake thanks. Who was in for Hawk?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Would love to get another crack at Marquette in a couple of weeks.

Reaction Score
I hope the worst offenders here after losses are just drunk. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
Big problem all year is not having a guy who can regularly beat his guy off the dribble. Showed up again down the stretch tonight. Marquette is really good, but they played a great game on offense, hit some ridiculous shots, and yet it was a 2 point game at the end.

We came up empty the last 5 trips, and that sealed it. The one that stood out was I think our 3rd to last possession and Sanogo had sealed his guy and was all alone inside, and we missed him.
This this this , the first sentence

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Honestly I'm negative often about the program so I get it, but you are insufferable. I even stopped watching the games after the Seton Hall loss because I needed a reboot and started watching again yesterday. What is it exactly that you are looking for? Other than winning a National Championship every year what would make you happy?
Okay. It’s year 5. When will you allow the criticisms to be warranted?

Reaction Score
Hawk looked very downtrodden. He needs to show his mental toughness. AJax will respond because he’s tough and goes all out no matter what, and no one can budge Sanogo. It’s all on Hawk now, can’t be pouty.
The concern at this point is Hawkins isn't very mentally tough and as far as Jackson, a big part of toughness is discipline, which he doesn't have either.

If I'm going to ding Hurley for anything, it's in failing to recruit an alpha clutch performer. Guys either have it or don't, and so far our guys haven't.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The concern at this point is Hawkins isn't very mentally tough and as far as Jackson, a big part of toughness is discipline, which he doesn't have either.

If I'm going to ding Hurley for anything, it's in failing to recruit an alpha clutch performer. Guys either have it or don't, and so far our guys haven't.
I think it’s been two games of teams manhandling him running off of screens. It’s frustration. He battled through our bad slide this year and played well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom