Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread

Reaction Score
Opposing teams have learned to smother Hawkins, double on Sanogo, and they can win, because all UConn has at that point is outside shooting. But the outside shooting minus Hawkins contribution is shaky. And if no one will drive to hoop to draw contact or score on layup or dunk, then defending outside is easier.

Karaban did well tonight, and Clingan was a star, our best player by far. Sanogo tried hard too. But, I'm not sure how Hurley will overcome the deficiencies of this team. Early in the season, I was convince we didn't have any. Man, these Big East teams have great coaches who know how to devise a winning game plan, and they have some dynamite players too.

One last thing- it was amazing how many times Marquette used the backboard to score on their shots. I didn't know teams still did that nowadays.

Reaction Score
Actually, you’re wrong about your first point. And those weren’t tough threes.
They hit tough threes all game long. Don’t cherry pick the one three they hit against the zone late.

And please tell me how I’m wrong.

Reaction Score
We are going nowhere with Newton at the point. He looks like a scared deer out there. Also, do we lead the NCAAs in fouling three-point shooters? Christ back off!

Problem also is we aren’t going anywhere without Newton becoming a better PG for us. We have no other answers. We need him to be better period.

Reaction Score
I don't think you realize how mediocre of a team we have right now. Name me one thing we do great right now?
We take away opponent's 3s. Interior scoring. Passing. Blocking shots. Offensive rebounding.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but I cringed tonight whenever Hawk was fed the ball for a 3 on the left side of hoop. I wonder why.

1673491593638.png

Also, this is a guy who cannot finish at the rim. It's almost amazingly poor.

I guess the main thing I'll fault Hurley for is not finding a guard who can.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
It feels like all the pieces perfectly fit…until conference play. Now we have a bunch of pieces that don’t fit and no real identity. I think we should have just ran with them or played DC 30+ minutes. Transition shooting is what we do best. We tried to slow it down too much tonight.

Reaction Score
Watching the game it painfully obvious to all of us that we were much better with DC on the court in this particular matchup. Adama struggled against this team's quickness which DC makes up for in Size. DC should have never come out during that run in 1st half unless he was tired. And despite how hard it is to do it he should have started DC the 2nd half. However not an easy thing to do to the pre season Big East player of the year. Not sure how many coaches would have started DC over Adama to begin the 2nd half.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He did bench Sanogo. He gave him a shot to start the 2nd. But Clingan can't play 15 straight minutes at this point in his career.
He literally sat the BE preseason poy in the second half for a freshman calm down. I get frustrated with his lack of adjustments but he made it this game we just couldn’t overcome our lack of guard production.

It would be very interesting to me if Hurley "rewards" Clingan with a start Sunday against SJU. Just say it's nothing against Adama but Clingan did real well and is getting rewarded for one game. If Clingan plays really well against the Johnnies, "reward" him with another start against SHU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Top 5 Big East teams have not lost a game to the bottom 6. The Top 5 Big East teams have also not lost a home game. This means that one of these team's number of losses is 100% correlated to the number of road games they have played against other Top 5 teams. Creighton has played at UConn, Xavier, and Marquette, and lost all of those games. UConn has played at Xavier, Marquette and Providence, and has lost all of those games. Providence and Xavier have not played a road game against the other top 5 teams, so they are undefeated.

I don't know how long this correlation will continue, but it is fairly stark right now.

Reaction Score
It would be very interesting to me if Hurley "rewards" Clingan with a start Sunday against SJU. Just say it's nothing against Adama but Clingan did real well and is getting rewarded for one game. If Clingan plays really well against the Johnnies, "reward" him with another start against SHU.
Why not play both?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The Top 5 Big East teams have not lost a game to the bottom 6. The Top 5 Big East teams have also not lost a home game. This means that one of these team's number of losses is 100% correlated to the number of road games they have played against other Top 5 teams. Creighton has played at UConn, Xavier, and Marquette, and lost all of those games. UConn has played at Xavier, Marquette and Providence, and has lost all of those games. Providence and Xavier have not played a road game against the other top 5 teams, so they are undefeated.

I don't know how long this correlation will continue, but it is fairly stark right now.
It's going to continue for a while. There also seems to be some home cooking in the league among the top teams. Providence @ Creighton on Saturday will test the theory.

Reaction Score
This team was strong down the stretch to start the year and has been laying an egg in the last few minutes the last few games.

Hurley has also been more animated the last few games. Is the board going to kill me if I hypothesize that maybe the team is getting sucked down by his energy in crunch time? He panics, we panic. Needs to keep composure better even when things aren't going well

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
It's too easy to make us play the way they want us to.

Make us chuck 3s, and then turn the long rebound into a quick transition basket.

I think we lost control of the game at the beginning of the 2nd half when we gave up the lead. Never ever give back the lead on the road. (With DC the bench, what was he waiting for?)

Play Clingan 24 minutes a game, with or without Sanogo. The guards don't score because they don't shoot. I lost track of the open looks we had without a shot being taken. Overall I thought we looked soft.

Reaction Score
This team is exactly who I thought they were to start the season. Weak PG and inconsistent shooters. We are a 20-25 ranked team as most predicted and 3rd or 4th best team in Big East.

Answer me this, If Creighton doubles Sanogo do we still win?

Reaction Score
This team still has real title aspirations and I’d rather lose now than in March, but we badly need a big road win soon to build some confidence away from home.

However, we didn’t play “badly” in either of the three losses.
The Providence game was horrendous. Did you watch?

Reaction Score
I think Adama has quite a large ego and actually thinks Adama is better than Adama actually is. We're in this tough spot where our two best players are our two big guys and the one who was the preseason BPOY and preseason all-American isn't as good as our freshman big. I don't think Sanogo is a selfish person but you risk losing him if he's demoted. Their minutes should be about a 50/50 split though. This isn't some one off Clingan performance, he always changes the game.

Reaction Score
Not a bad idea because Soriano has been a beast all season defensively and his offensive game is light years better than last year. If Sanogo brings the same effort from tonight on Sunday, he will get destroyed.

Reaction Score
Can't blame him for pulling Clingan for a rest with us up 11 with five minutes left in the first half.

But leaving him in, while he committed 3 TOs, lost another possession getting the ball stuck in the rim, and missing a layup to boot, all in a ridiculous 3 minute span wasn't the best move.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom