Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread

Reaction Score
We just aren’t all that great right now.

Opponents have figured out how to beat us and we’ve made zero adjustments.

We aren’t playing like a top team so we don’t deserve to be in the conversation. We have 1 or 2 quality wins and 3 losses

This team needs a reality check mixed with coaching and the need to play their way back into the National conversation. As far as Im
Concerned, they have played their way out.
Yeah so much for that 4 out ball. How can you play that when you shoot miserable from 3 in all the big games?

Reaction Score
Lol no. The zone was the dumbest thing iver ever seen under 2 minutes when we need ball pressure.
I was screaming play man D your down only 3. They ended up hitting a wide open 3. And then we stayed in it after Karaban 3 point play and they scored again.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Hurley will not make any changes. It’s been like this from day one. With this team this year, it’s been coaching malpractice. Inexcusable
He literally sat the BE preseason poy in the second half for a freshman calm down. I get frustrated with his lack of adjustments but he made it this game we just couldn’t overcome our lack of guard production.

Reaction Score
Hawk couldn’t get open shots because we have no PG to penetrate and create opportunity. It is the fatal claw of this team. I wish we had someone I could envision filling the void but it increasingly feels unlikely.
It will have to be either Diarra or Jackson as Newton is too slow and not strong enough to drive.

Reaction Score
He literally sat the BE preseason poy in the second half for a freshman calm down. I get frustrated with his lack of adjustments but he made it this game we just couldn’t overcome our lack of guard production.
Yeah the amount of guard penetration we gave up was awful while on the flip side we couldn't penetrate. That is a recipe for disaster unless your lights out shooting or dominating the paint.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Clingan was a bad matchup for them on both ends of the floor; Sanogo was a bad matchup on the offensive end. If we had kept Clingan in more and not gone to the zone at the end, I think we would have had a better chance. Overall, I'm not too disappointed because this was our most difficult game left (except for maybe @ Creighton).

Reaction Score
Hopefully hopefully this is all toughening us up and giving us experience for the tourneys. It’s happened before and maybe we need to go through some adversity to get to where we need to be. Our guard play really needs to get better though or some quick tough good guard is gonna drop 40 on us in the sweet 16 and send us home

Reaction Score
We missed our threes, couldn’t guard anyone, and Marquette had more runs than we did. Bad loss

I’m glad Hurley kept Sanogo on the bench and kept Clingan in. He was the best player on the court today. Amazing games from both freshmen. Sanogo will learn from this

We struggle through physical on ball defense, a lot. Hawkins couldn’t get any separation, 1-8. Nobody could get into the lane. Our second half offense was mostly just throw it to Clingan and hope for the best

Reaction Score
Hawk couldn’t get open shots because we have no PG to penetrate and create opportunity. It is the fatal claw of this team. I wish we had someone I could envision filling the void but it increasingly feels unlikely.

Hawk can’t create his own shot so Shaka had it defended well taking it out of his hands. And while everyone would like to blame Newton, and he’s certainly part of it, so is AJ. No one is guarding him instead sloughing off to help on the shooters. Hurley has issues and he needs to adjust accordingly.

Reaction Score
The home games against Xavier, Providence, and Marquette will tell us something. If we go 3-0 or 2-1, it suggests to me that it is really hard to win on the road against another title contender in the Big East. If we go 0-3 or 1-2, we have bigger problems. That being said, I think we will lose at Creighton and might lose one of the aforementioned home games, and we will either go 13-1 or 12-2 the rest of the way.
Wow you are optimistic with this team. I haven't seen anything from any of the big east games to suggest we will win that many games. We will have a few more hiccups agains some lower teams too. Maybe 10-4 or 9-5 is more likely.

Reaction Score
It's Hurley's job to get Hawkins in a position to affect the game. The stuff we ran for him didn't get him open at all. It didn't look like it was Hawkins fault, he was working his butt off.
It’s tough to constantly create shots for someone like Hawkins who can’t create his own. He’s very easy to guard if you want to shut him down you can face guard Hawkins and switch. He doesn’t have the handle still. Other teams will take him away from the shots behind the arc and double Adama when they can and make any of the other three players beat them. Hawkins needs to be better - he had 1 FG and that came with 90 seconds left. UConn was led offensively tonight by two freshmen and that is a very tough test on the road in conference. If Hawkins is allegedly a first round draft pick, he needs to be a lot better in these types of games

Reaction Score
Three losses. Gave up almost 80 per game. Perhaps we should stop focusing on the guards inability to score and focus on this teams inability to defend against good teams.
Because that’s the guards fault too man, lol.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Wow you are optimistic with this team. I haven't seen anything from any of the big east games to suggest we will win that many games. maybe 10-4 or 9-5 is more likely.
I don't think you realize how bad 6-11 in the BE is this year compared to the top five.

Reaction Score
The zone was the only way to keep Clingan on the floor. They hit tough 3s.

Not blaming the zebras much in this one, but that “foul” against Jackson was a huge momentum stopper
Actually, you’re wrong about your first point. And those weren’t tough threes.

Reaction Score
There seems to be a pattern to our seasons under Hurley. Play our best ball at the start of the season getting our biggest win(s) of the season. Get smacked in the mouth when we hit conference play, especially on the road. Regain our footing and start looking really good again at the end of the regular season and then flame out in postseason tournaments. I hope to hell it doesn't happen again but I fear it will. We need to win a couple NCAA tournament games this season.

Reaction Score
0-17 against ranked teams on the road if you were curious.
That's Hurley's record as UConn coach?

Holy hell, I knew it was awful but that's an incredibly concerning stat for our head coach if that's what it is.
Not quite. But it’s still bad (0-9). Think the other 8 are during KO’s tenure.

Reaction Score
Three losses. Gave up almost 80 per game. Perhaps we should stop focusing on the guards inability to score and focus on this teams inability to defend against good teams.
2 of the 3 are in the top 7 offenses in the entire country playing at home. Providence we hacked to death.

Reaction Score
I don't think you realize how bad 6-11 in the BE is this year compared to the top five.
I don't think you realize how mediocre of a team we have right now. Name me one thing we do great right now?

Reaction Score
Hawk couldn’t get open shots because we have no PG to penetrate and create opportunity. It is the fatal flaw of this team. I wish we had someone I could envision filling the void but it increasingly feels unlikely.
it’s funny because only a few weeks ago it seemed the staff absolutely crushed it with the 4 guards they got in the transfer portal. Now it’s looking like other schools like Providence did a much better job there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom