Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Because the 3 losses were literally the hardest games on the entire schedule (outside of Alabama). Every other game is easier. The 2 recent wins were against Nova and Creighton. Nova isn't Nova, but we won by almost 10. And Creighton is back to 100%, almost won at Xavier tonight, and we won by 9.
And you just leave out Georgetown at home why?

Reaction Score
Hurley thought it was fine to put junior Josh Carlton on the pine when freshman Adama Sanogo outplayed him.

But Sanogo is one of his guys and Josh wasn't. Be interesting how he handles this situation.

Reaction Score
Marquette concentrated on taking away the three and not worrying about Sanogo until he got the ball. And it worked. I think we will see more and more of that.
Not a tough team to game plan for: double Adama and get in Hawkins’ jock. Let someone else beat you.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
It was more than 5 games ago and we won by double digits. Should I include the 20+ Butler win on the road, too?
You mean to say that we didn’t struggle in those games? We were on the ropes in both until a big run. We just haven’t had those big runs lately and this team lives off of them.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
He had 3 or 4 tough shots made at the rim in traffic. Combination of put backs and drives/moves in the paint. He played well tonight.
AK played well tonight

Reaction Score
We’re unique in the sense that we’re undefeated at home & at neutral sites, but win less or damn near on the road.

Unfortunately, guard play is the most transferable thing to tourney time, & it’s our greatest weakness. We (deservingly so because of this) should be a potential tourney early upset pick.

We’re a good team with major warts

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
We had a 16-0 run today.
Yep. And lost. My point stands that in our last 7-8 games we have not been playing our best ball. How have you disproven that?

Reaction Score
I guess the biggest problem with our team right now is 32% from 3 in big east play won't cut it. Playing 4 perimeter players who do very little penetration and can't shoot is recipe for disaster. Where is all this great shooting we were supposed to have to play 4 out?

Reaction Score
This team is the most unique one in the nation for these reasons IMO.

-Adama is the best player in conference
-Adama is a better player than DC
-There have been too many times where the team looks better with DC
-They can’t both play together
-the team is too close to great to take a step back to work through the necessary growing pains we may see with DC if we made the change.

This is one of the most unique teams we’ve had in a while & idk the answer. Still think we could be a first round out or hang 5

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Marquette went 24/32 on 2s that weren't blocked tonight. Ridiculous.
Actually par for their course. Not usually that good, but that’s them. But yeah, that’s extra crazy.

Reaction Score
We’re unique in the sense that we’re undefeated at home & at neutral sites, but win less or damn near on the road.

Unfortunately, guard play is the most transferable thing to tourney time, & it’s our greatest weakness. We (deservingly so because of this) should be a potential tourney early upset pick.

We’re a good team with major warts

It’s starting to seem like we’re a 10-15 ranked team that got hot early

We have 3 of our 4 hardest conference games out of the way. Win out vs. Butler, GTown, Nova, SJU, DePaul, Seton Hall. That’s 24 wins.

Split the other four games 2-2 at home and our minimum target should 26 wins. I don’t think that’s first round upset territory. But we shouldn’t really be thinking March yet. Take it a game at a time

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I guess the biggest problem with our team right now is 32% from 3 in big east play won't cut it. Playing 4 perimeter players who do very little penetration and can't shoot is recipe for disaster. Where is all this great shooting we were supposed to have to play 4 out?
You live by the 3 you die by the 3. We need players that can penetrate and we just don’t have that. Even though every team we’ve played in these road games have those players in bunches. They make it look so easy.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The Top 5 Big East teams have not lost a game to the bottom 6. The Top 5 Big East teams have also not lost a home game. This means that one of these team's number of losses is 100% correlated to the number of road games they have played against other Top 5 teams. Creighton has played at UConn, Xavier, and Marquette, and lost all of those games. UConn has played at Xavier, Marquette and Providence, and has lost all of those games. Providence and Xavier have not played a road game against the other top 5 teams, so they are undefeated.

I don't know how long this correlation will continue, but it is fairly stark right now.
Providence will win at creighton Saturday.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the hate for Hurley in this one. Maybe some ill-advised zone towards the end of the game, but what else? I thought the rotation was good. Clingan was great so he got minutes. AK was excellent tonight so he got minutes. AJ is the straw that stirs the drink so he got minutes. Hurley didn’t cause the turnovers. Hurley didn’t disappear like Hawk.

We lost another game on the road. It sucks. I get it, but I don’t believe it’s Hurley’s fault. When Sanogo and Hawkins don’t perform well, we struggle.

Reaction Score
Opposing teams have learned to smother Hawkins, double on Sanogo, and they can win, because all UConn has at that point is outside shooting. But the outside shooting minus Hawkins contribution is shaky. And if no one will drive to hoop to draw contact or score on layup or dunk, then defending outside is easier.

Karaban did well tonight, and Clingan was a star, our best player by far. Sanogo tried hard too. But, I'm not sure how Hurley will overcome the deficiencies of this team. Early in the season, I was convince we didn't have any. Man, these Big East teams have great coaches who know how to devise a winning game plan, and they have some dynamite players too.

One last thing- it was amazing how many times Marquette used the backboard to score on their shots. I didn't know teams still did that nowadays.

Agree. The most encouraging play of the night was when Ajax found a lane and went hard to the rim for a layup. Don't know if he has the handle or the skill to do this consistently, but that would really open things up. Nice game from Alex, if he could emerge as a 3rd scoring option that would be huge.

Also noticed the shots off the glass, some of the lucky variety.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the hate for Hurley in this one. Maybe some ill-advised zone towards the end of the game, but what else? I thought the rotation was good. Clingan was great so he got minutes. AK was excellent tonight so he got minutes. AJ is the straw that stirs the drink so he got minutes. Hurley didn’t cause the turnovers. Hurley didn’t disappear like Hawk.

We lost another game on the road. It sucks. I get it, but I don’t believe it’s Hurley’s fault. When Sanogo and Hawkins don’t perform well, we struggle.
I don’t think the zone was I’ll advised. Zone is a great tool to try to disrupt the offense when you can’t stop them from driving, which we couldn’t

But it’s pretty clear that we haven’t practiced much zone this year. Looked clunky

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom