Lifted from VT CR board | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Lifted from VT CR board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Putting aside the W/L issues for a moment and just looking at TV sets, i.e. the B1G model, the ACC gave-up a lot, especially in letting a conference like the B1G access to their backyard. Basically, the ACC lost the country's 26th largest TV market (Baltimore) and a lock-down when combined with UVA at V Tech for the 9th largest TV market in DC in exchange for 50th largest TV market in Louisville. While the ACC still plays well in DC due to UVA and V Tech, the B1G now has a bigger presence when Maryland is combined with the massive alumni base that the B1G has in DC, especially Ohio St. So overall, ACC won the exchange on the field; but, lost when it comes to who has a fatter wallet. Now, if the B1G can use that cash to pry UVA or V Tech away from the ACC, the ACC is done in DC no matter how many ACC basketball tournaments are held there.
We lost zero TV sets in Maryland. Please understand this. It's an important piece. ACC lost no TV sets in Maryland. We may have lost access to cable boxes, but the cords are being cut right and left on those in rapid fashion, and we never had any cable boxes to begin with. We are not being paid on cable boxes. As soon as that diminishes for the BTN due to cord cutting they will have to sell Maryland football directly. Read carefully about Maryland football cache. I'm not talking about a championship won by Curly Byrd in 1953. I'm talking about this decade.

Reaction Score
Everyone is happy in the ACC.......the ACC Network is right around the corner.... sweet recruiting parties at UL and UM, optional classes at UNC, it's all good.
6dd3adf23560817139801c11474e9727

Reaction Score
Dwalks,
He's not missing the bigger picture from an ACC perspective. With this steady dose of the Dude of WV, I can see why folks might think he is. But if you step back and look at the bigger picture, you might see why the ACC upgraded in that exchange.

First of all, the ACC lost no television access within the State of Maryland. Local TV stations in Baltimore, Salisbury, and Hagerstown carry as many ACC football and basketball games today than I get in Richmond, VA. UVA and VT alumni living in Maryland have not been impacted in terms of access to ACC game on TV at all. So no loss of market for TV by the ACC in Maryland.

Second, think about what the ACC desperately needed in 2011 and what it needed out of expansion. The answer is football cache. Nothing else. The ACC was being ridiculed by having a bad BCS bowl record. Never mind a good overall bowl record, but a bad BCS bowl record. I was reminded of that BCS bowl record here on the Boneyard many time. What did the ACC think it needed to do? The answer is add Notre Dame football. How do you do it? Bring in Eastern Schools ND recognizes. We already had BC. So why not add Pitt and Syracuse. ND wants New York games and Massachusetts games, and ND has played Pitt 60 times. They were added, and tada, ND was added right behind at least partially in football.

Then we had Wallace Loh's October surprise. What does the ACC still need? Football cache. Oh my. We're losing Maryland. What football cache is walking out the door with Maryland? From 2010 to today, Maryland has played in 2 bowl games that they lost. Once to Marshall in the Navy Stadium they did not sell out because Annapolis was too far to travel to. Second to a PAC12 team somewhere. Their coach was fired, and they could not even attract an experienced head coach from anywhere. Then the icing is they hired Mike London. Look up his record if you want. That's Maryland football cache.

The ACC added Louisville's football cache to backfill. What was it? The answer is from 2010 to today Louisville has been to six bowls. They have won 4 including a Sugar Bowl win over Florida and two months ago a win over Texas A&M. They did have a coach leave, but they backfilled quickly with another good coach. Prospects are good.

Remember what the ACC needed. Football Cache. You yourself can compare the two. And remember that the ACC lost no television access in Maryland for ACC fans.

In basketball, Maryland was a loss for the ACC. But, while Maryland walked out Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Louisville walked in. While losing 1 good basketball program, we gained 4. It has been hardly noticed.

What the ACC lost by losing Maryland was our best women's lacrosse program. It will be tough to swallow, but we'll live as I've said.

Ok, so the ACC is getting a network? I guess it is not important anymore. What conference needs money and a network when they have "football cache?"

No question, ACC football is the best it has ever been...I am sure that will lessen the sting when FSU/Clemson make $20 million (and this gap is rapidly growing) less despite winning more than most SEC programs. Clearly conference realignment for the ACC was about football cache and had nothing to do with money or networks.....that is why the ACC is behind the BIG and SEC, you are proving my point.

Eventually a program like LSU is going to get tired of getting outperformed by a team like FSU. When that happens LSU will try to hire Jimbo Fisher for $8 million a year. FSU will respond and raise their offer. FSU will look to their boosters to make up the difference but guess what, LSU has boosters too. The SEC will turn this into an arms race and the ACC will be financially disadvantaged. Inevitably choice ACC programs will realize they are facing an uphill struggle against the BIG/SEC and will look to move to those conferences to compete on even financial footing.

BTW counting ND as an ACC team is fool's gold. I've watched ND help destroy one conference and they will do it again. ND does not care about the ACC, the ACC is a booty call for their Olympic sports. The ACC should only be concerned what ND wants if they sign on full time. ND cares about ND, not the ACC.

Reaction Score
We lost zero TV sets in Maryland. Please understand this. It's an important piece. ACC lost no TV sets in Maryland. We may have lost access to cable boxes, but the cords are being cut right and left on those in rapid fashion, and we never had any cable boxes to begin with. We are not being paid on cable boxes. As soon as that diminishes for the BTN due to cord cutting they will have to sell Maryland football directly. Read carefully about Maryland football cache. I'm not talking about a championship won by Curly Byrd in 1953. I'm talking about this decade.

You lost zero TV sets in Maryland because the ACC doesn't profit off any TV sets in Maryland.

The hypothetical ACC Network lost 1.1 Million potential homes which brings us back to the point that losing Maryland is not good for the ACC if they wish to continue to compete with the Big 2 conferences.

Which of course is the same point the ACC Fanboys refuse to even address thus makes this stupid thread go in circles and now I'm mad at myself for jumping in.

Reaction Score
Without a conference network model in place like the one The B1G currently enjoys, losing UMD and picking up Louisville is at worst neutral for The ACC. If this act is what allowed the conference to retain FSU and Clemson then it was a huge positive.

I don't believe we will ever see an ACCN, so gaining a stronger football program to compete for bowl games and ad dollars was a good trade for them. OTOH gaining UMD was a huge financial windfall for The B1G. They collected another AAU Member for the academics, while gaining access to Maryland's cable boxes, prospective students and recruits. Where I would be concerned if I was the ACC is for the programs that don't have the financial support of a UNC or FSU. An extra 15 million a year would go a long way at schools like VPI or GT.

Reaction Score
Ok, so the ACC is getting a network? I guess it is not important anymore. What conference needs money and a network when they have "football cache?"

No question, ACC football is the best it has ever been...I am sure that will lessen the sting when FSU/Clemson make $20 million (and this gap is rapidly growing) less despite winning more than most SEC programs. Clearly conference realignment for the ACC was about football cache and had nothing to do with money or networks.....that is why the ACC is behind the BIG and SEC, you are proving my point.

Eventually a program like LSU is going to get tired of getting outperformed by a team like FSU. When that happens LSU will try to hire Jimbo Fisher for $8 million a year. FSU will respond and raise their offer. FSU will look to their boosters to make up the difference but guess what, LSU has boosters too. The SEC will turn this into an arms race and the ACC will be financially disadvantaged. Inevitably choice ACC programs will realize they are facing an uphill struggle against the BIG/SEC and will look to move to those conferences to compete on even financial footing.

BTW counting ND as an ACC team is fool's gold. I've watched ND help destroy one conference and they will do it again. ND does not care about the ACC, the ACC is a booty call for their Olympic sports. The ACC should only be concerned what ND wants if they sign on full time. ND cares about ND, not the ACC.
You're betting against an ACC Network as is everyone here. I know. I've seen the posts for 2 years.
The ACC is working on it. We currently have the ACC Network of syndication run by Raycom reaching 90 million TV households nationwide. During all of the expansion of 2011 and 2o12 it was just getting off the ground. The ACC is very pleased that it has been picked up and paid for by TV stations all across the US. The ACC does share in its profits outside of the former ACC footprint. So no we don't make money when it is watched in Maryland, but we did for the Louisville BC game that aired on CW in Hartford, CT last Saturday.

This network is nice and all, but it is insufficient. It only shows football and men's basketball, and the ACC is about a lot more than that. So the league is working on another network to incorporate more stuff. I know you all are betting against it here. I'm not given the information I've seen from UVA. What people are anxious about is the timing. The ACC contract with ESPN doesn't enable it before 2017. Now that we are getting closer to 2017, we want to hear something. If ESPN doesn't want to do it, there are others that have inquired about doing it.

As for LSU hiring Jimbo Fisher, they tried to 4 months ago. Jimbo said no. And your point about ND is valid. But we have more than we've ever had, so more is better. If ND continues to choose to deny its coaches and players access to any championships, it's on them. The CFP committee politically can't choose them over the 5 P5 conferences for the 4 slots, and they already deny their players an opportunity for a conference championship. They'll have to settle with playing in bowls. I'm told they are fine with that because that's how it's always been. Kinda sucks for the kids.

Reaction Score
Without a conference network model in place like the one The B1G currently enjoys, losing UMD and picking up Louisville is at worst neutral for The ACC. If this act is what allowed the conference to retain FSU and Clemson then it was a huge positive.

I don't believe we will ever see an ACCN, so gaining a stronger football program to compete for bowl games and ad dollars was a good trade for them. OTOH gaining UMD was a huge financial windfall for The B1G. They collected another AAU Member for the academics, while gaining access to Maryland's cable boxes, prospective students and recruits. Where I would be concerned if I was the ACC is for the programs that don't have the financial support of a UNC or FSU. An extra 15 million a year would go a long way at schools like VPI or GT.
Adding Maryland helped the BTN and subsequently the Big Ten. The ACC didn't lose a thing really unless we deploy a network model just like the Big Ten. Check that, we lost Maryland. But what we replaced Maryland with met our needs at the time much better than Maryland.

We have since had ACC members win 4 straight Orange Bowls defeating NIU, Ohio State, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma. Clemson has crushed Oklahoma twice. FSU won the national championship against Auburn, and Clemson lost one by 5 points because they screwed up Kickoff coverage in the 4th quarter. Louisville has come in and defeated Texas A&M. We are a far cry from being ridiculed about BCS bowl records. Correcting that is what the ACC needed at the time. And the league has.

Today the ACC has other priorities now that the football cache has been pulled out of the fire. We'll see what's next.

Reaction Score
You lost zero TV sets in Maryland because the ACC doesn't profit off any TV sets in Maryland.

The hypothetical ACC Network lost 1.1 Million potential homes which brings us back to the point that losing Maryland is not good for the ACC if they wish to continue to compete with the Big 2 conferences.

Which of course is the same point the ACC Fanboys refuse to even address thus makes this stupid thread go in circles and now I'm mad at myself for jumping in.
If Maryland football all of a sudden turned into Ohio State, you would be right. And it's possible. But in the state it has been in since 1985, it's a good bet that it won't. Yes the ACC lost cable boxes in Maryland that it never had, and would need to make up that number somewhere else if its network is modeled like the BTN. No question. Not sure that's how the ACC want's to transition its current ACC Network with Raycom to the digital world.

Reaction Score
Swofford must be compensating bstimpy rather well. He's shilling for Swofford and his league better than Swofford has.
Swofford's explanations for what he is doing SUCKS. I hear what he is doing from other channels, but you are right, he leaves people in the dark, and that is poor marketing.

Reaction Score

For your sake and that of the majority of the ACC schools, you need to hope the cable box model sticks around for awhile. I think it actually hides your warts.

The B1G media dollars in the universe you describe, will accelerate relative to the ACC, because rather than be rewarded for theoretical footprint, they will be earning based upon fan interest and passion. The ACC schools that could do well in this environment are too few to make it attractive to remain in a league with Wake and BC, etc.

I just don't see how moving away from the current model would even the playing field. In fact it would accelerate the reckoning.

Reaction Score
You're betting against an ACC Network as is everyone here. I know. I've seen the posts for 2 years.
The ACC is working on it. We currently have the ACC Network of syndication run by Raycom reaching 90 million TV households nationwide. During all of the expansion of 2011 and 2o12 it was just getting off the ground. The ACC is very pleased that it has been picked up and paid for by TV stations all across the US. The ACC does share in its profits outside of the former ACC footprint. So no we don't make money when it is watched in Maryland, but we did for the Louisville BC game that aired on CW in Hartford, CT last Saturday.

This network is nice and all, but it is insufficient. It only shows football and men's basketball, and the ACC is about a lot more than that. So the league is working on another network to incorporate more stuff. I know you all are betting against it here. I'm not given the information I've seen from UVA. What people are anxious about is the timing. The ACC contract with ESPN doesn't enable it before 2017. Now that we are getting closer to 2017, we want to hear something. If ESPN doesn't want to do it, there are others that have inquired about doing it.

As for LSU hiring Jimbo Fisher, they tried to 4 months ago. Jimbo said no. And your point about ND is valid. But we have more than we've ever had, so more is better. If ND continues to choose to deny its coaches and players access to any championships, it's on them. The CFP committee politically can't choose them over the 5 P5 conferences for the 4 slots, and they already deny their players an opportunity for a conference championship. They'll have to settle with playing in bowls. I'm told they are fine with that because that's how it's always been. Kinda sucks for the kids.

This is the same national network that airs Bojangles fast food commercials in the northeast, right? Do you think people are watching this?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So no we don't make money when it is watched in Maryland, but we did for the Louisville BC game that aired on CW in Hartford, CT last Saturday.

Wait you guys participate in the profits of games that are broadcast by Raycom? I thought you sold your Tier 3 rights. Isn't that the biggest sticking point for a true ACC network?

Reaction Score
This is the same national network that airs Bojangles fast food commercials in the northeast, right? Do you think people are watching this?
I don't know who's watching it, but the television stations are paying for it. I like Bojangles. Had a chicken sandwich there last week. Their commercials are better than New York Life. The ACC needs more advertisers for the northeast. Sign up Wegmans, Tim Horton's, etc. We have schools there that should suggest some more.

But Yes. Same network.

Reaction Score
Wait you guys participate in the profits of games that are broadcast by Raycom? I thought you sold your Tier 3 rights. Isn't that the biggest sticking point for a true ACC network?
Raycom bought the rights for the games from ESPN. They get to use them in the traditional ACC states. ACC doesn't get any profit sharing from that. But they were authorized to go outside of the ACC states in 2010 (i.e. Texas, California, Maine, Ohio, Wisconsin, etc.). They never had that opportunity before. They were only licensed in the ACC states before. You would never have seen a Bojangles commercial before 2010 in Connecticut for instance.

The ACC shares in the profit with Raycom outside the ACC states, not inside because they were already paid by ESPN. We are only now seeing how much that is. It's taken 4 years to ramp up. I don't think it's sufficient. But it is not zero. My biggest gripe is that it is only football and basketball. UVA has a great lacrosse team that needs to get on TV. ESPN is showing some. A network could show it more.

That's when Swofford talks about "We're studying that." He's been waiting to see how much profit sharing this will produce. He looks foolish not explaining what he's talking about. When the press asks him about getting a network. He says we already have one. We're looking at a channel. Even we get frustrated how poorly he communicates what he's doing. He's doing a better job than people perceive. But if he doesn't explain what he's doing, it's hard to think he is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ok allow me to summarize the above:

Paragraph 1 - the ACC is getting a network. The check is in the mail and I promise I will respect you in the morning.

Paragraph 2 - An ESPN ACC network would limit the ACC's athletic creativity. We, at the ACC, are a lot more than just football/basketball and we won't have our creative energy stifled by ESPN. The ACC clearly has ESPN exactly where it wants them....

Paragraph 3 - coaches do not care about money. There is intangible value to just being a part of the ACC and coaches will takes less money to stay in the ACC. Also Jimbo Fisher turned down a job that was never even vacant. Finally, the ACC is better off with ND as a half member and without ND football.

My head hurts now...if I agree to all the above will you stop posting

Reaction Score
Ok allow me to summarize the above:

Paragraph 1 - the ACC is getting a network. The check is in the mail and I promise I will respect you in the morning.

Paragraph 2 - An ESPN ACC network would limit the ACC's athletic creativity. We, at the ACC, are a lot more than just football/basketball and we won't have our creative energy stifled by ESPN. The ACC clearly has ESPN exactly where it wants them....

Paragraph 3 - coaches do not care about money. There is intangible value to just being a part of the ACC and coaches will takes less money to stay in the ACC. Also Jimbo Fisher turned down a job that was never even vacant. Finally, the ACC is better off with ND as a half member and without ND football.

My head hurts now...if I agree to all the above will you stop posting
Go ahead and agree. And Jimbo Fisher didn't turn down a job. He turned down an interview.

Reaction Score
I don't know who's watching it, but the television stations are paying for it. I like Bojangles. Had a chicken sandwich there last week. Their commercials are better than New York Life. The ACC needs more advertisers for the northeast. Sign up Wegmans, Tim Horton's, etc. We have schools there that should suggest some more.

But Yes. Same network.

Ok, so CW is essentially getting free ACCN content to air in the Hartford market to an audience of 0. That is really depressing when juxtaposed against the BTN.

Reaction Score
Hell, Maryland wasn't a real game. When you win 90% of the games it becomes like having Old Dominion on the schedule.

Would UConn guys miss the Southern Connecticut Owls if they were on the schedule and were replaced by a team that had recently won BCS Bowls?

FSU sells home tickets...already had to cope with Wake, BC, Cuse, and Maryland on the schedule....Louisville picked up the stadium.

We get it, football rules. Yet Maryland left the ACC with more NCAA titles than anyone but UNC. They may just be only known as one of the consistently dominant programs in soccer, field hockey, & lacrosse - oh well.

But they share something with UConn, few other programs can boast: titles in both men's and women's basketball & somewhere deep back in their history they won an AP football NC. I'll take that history & also the fact it remains a fantastic university, top to bottom.

Reaction Score
Please no. There is nothing worse than being draw in here to talk about Rutgers. It's a waste of time for me, and you UConn guys do a great job of it on your own. When I was here before, I always seemed to get drawn into talking about Rutgers. Not today.
I'll pass.....you're doing fine on you're own...

Reaction Score
We get it, football rules. Yet Maryland left the ACC with more NCAA titles than anyone but UNC. They may just be only known as one of the consistently dominant programs in soccer, field hockey, & lacrosse - oh well.

But they share something with UConn, few other programs can boast: titles in both men's and women's basketball & somewhere deep back in their history they won an AP football NC. I'll take that history & also the fact it remains a fantastic university, top to bottom.
Yes. We discussed that yesterday. Maryland's President Curly Byrd build an athletic department that won 15+ national championships prior to 1955 including a football championship. They have a total in the 40 range including those, 5 cheer leading, and 18 women's lacrosse. There are about 6 in men's sports. It's second to UNC in the ACC over an 80 year time frame.

Someone reviewed that in the thread with everyone yesterday.

Reaction Score
Ok, so CW is essentially getting free ACCN content to air in the Hartford market to an audience of 0. That is really depressing when juxtaposed against the BTN.
That CW station isn't getting it for free. If they have an audience of 0, they'll stop paying for it.

Reaction Score
Go ahead and agree. And Jimbo Fisher didn't turn down a job. He turned down an interview.

An interview for a job that was never vacant. I don't know why you're bothering with this nonsense. Everyone here knows that you're either a liar or you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom