Lifted from VT CR board | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Lifted from VT CR board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love Scotland. I tell anyone who will listen Scots are the best people I have met in my travels...and I have traveled. Beautiful people, beautiful land. The best!

When I studied in France in college, some of the best people to hang with, drink with, and travel with were the Scots, Irish, Kiwi & Aussies. That said, the Scot in particular, including the women, were a tough group to keep-up with when it came to drinking. If I ever have to have a liver transplant, I should send them the bill.

Reaction Score
My mother's side are a Sept of the Fergusson clan. Scots from the west coast of Scotland. Settled in North Carolina before moving to the new frontiers of Alabama in the 1830's.

Reaction Score
This is a good assessment. I'll be interested to see how Temple develops in Eastern PA. They are in the Big 5, but they're looking to get out of the Eagles stadium, and the new football coach has a lot of energy. Can they keep him and build something?

You're right about DC. And DC has evolved to not really care about college sports. You go play a basketball game at George Washington, and no one in town knows you were even there. All of the international residents have too many professional sports to even care.

Everyone knows you were there and you lost.

Reaction Score
We visited Scotland in 2011 and 2013. I love the Highlands. We stayed on the shores of Loch Ness and Loch Lomond, visited Sterling Castle, the Isle of Skye, Inverness, Culloden battlefield, Aviemore, etc... It is a place of great views, terrific history and great people. I love Scotland, too. Can't wait to go back.

Heading back to Ireland (dual citizen, visit often) in March. We may hop a flight to Glasgow again.
I love Scotland, too. I've been there several times. I've visited the islands of Skye, Iona, and Orkney. If you go to Orkney, be sure to visit the Italian Chapel that was built by Italian prisoners of war. It is beautiful.

"The chapel was constructed from limited materials by the prisoners. Two Nissen huts were joined end-to-end. The corrugated interior was then covered with plasterboard and the altar and altar rail were constructed from concrete left over from work on the barriers. Most of the interior decoration was done by Domenico Chiocchetti, a prisoner from Moena. He painted the sanctuary end of the chapel and fellow-prisoners decorated the entire interior. They created a facade out of concrete, concealing the shape of the hut and making the building look like a church. The light holders were made out of corned beef tins. The baptismal font was made from the inside of a car exhaust covered in a layer of concrete.

Chiocchetti remained on the island to finish decorating the newly consecrated chapel, even when his fellow prisoners were released shortly before the end of the war".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Chapel

Reaction Score
The UVA fan should probably not be throwing stones considering the Hoos...

...have zero (0) 10 win seasons since the 80s
...have one (1) winning season in the last 10 years
...have zero (0) top 10 seasons EVER
...have a pitiful record vs. the Maryland program he is bashing.

No one cares about UVA football in Virginia (or anywhere for that matter). And why should they? They've always been horrible and have never been relevant nationally. Maryland and UConn have at least both been to BCS bowls. Virginia went to the tire bowl like 10 years ago lol.

On the other hand, if wearing tuxedos and drinking wine coolers at games means anything, you guys are #1 for sure. Go Hoos!!!!

Reaction Score
The UVA fan should probably not be throwing stones considering the Hoos...

...have zero (0) 10 win seasons since the 80s
...have one (1) winning season in the last 10 years
...have zero (0) top 10 seasons EVER
...have a pitiful record vs. the Maryland program he is bashing.

No one cares about UVA football in Virginia (or anywhere for that matter). And why should they? They've always been horrible and have never been relevant nationally. Maryland and UConn have at least both been to BCS bowls. Virginia went to the tire bowl like 10 years ago lol.

On the other hand, if wearing tuxedos and drinking wine coolers at games means anything, you guys are #1 for sure. Go Hoos!!!!
Go ahead and fill in accurate data if you want to make these claims.

Since 1990, or 25+ years, UVA football is 15-8 against Maryland football. You call that pitiful, OK.

Since 1982, UVA has 22 winning seasons. Since 1990, it's 17. Not sure when you consider the 80s clock beginning. It is true that UVA football since 2010 under the leadership of Mike London has been bad including 5 losing seasons. UVA is happy to have parted ways with Mike London. I'm glad to see Maryland gave him the associate head coach job. Good Luck. BTW three of those 8 losses to Maryland were by Mike London teams.

No one here is claiming UVA is or has been a football power. The claim is that the ACC lost its powerhouse women's lacrosse team when Maryland left. This is in fact the case, and the ACC will have to live with it. The ACC didn't lose much else of concern.

Reaction Score
Go ahead and fill in accurate data if you want to make these claims.

Since 1990, or 25+ years, UVA football is 15-8 against Maryland football. You call that pitiful, OK.

Since 1982, UVA has 22 winning seasons. Since 1990, it's 17. Not sure when you consider the 80s clock beginning. It is true that UVA football since 2010 under the leadership of Mike London has been bad including 5 losing seasons. UVA is happy to have parted ways with Mike London. I'm glad to see Maryland gave him the associate head coach job. Good Luck. BTW three of those 8 losses to Maryland were by Mike London teams.

No one here is claiming UVA is or has been a football power. The claim is that the ACC lost its powerhouse women's lacrosse team when Maryland left. This is in fact the case, and the ACC will have to live with it. The ACC didn't lose much else of concern.

Spin all you want dude. You were the one going off about recent results. Maryland won 10 games three times and went to a BCS bowl this century. What have the Wahoos done? Yikes...

2000 George Welsh 6–6 5–3 3rd L Oahu Bowl
2001 Al Groh 5–7 3–5 T–7th
2002 Al Groh 9–5 6–2 T–2nd W Continental Tire Bowl 22
2003 Al Groh 8–5 4–4 T–4th W Continental Tire Bowl
2004 Al Groh 8–4 5–3 T–3rd L MPC Computers Bowl 23
2005 Al Groh 7–5 3–5 5th (Coastal) W Music City Bowl
2006 Al Groh 5–7 4–4 3rd (Coastal)
2007 Al Groh 9–4 6–2 2nd (Coastal) L Gator Bowl
2008 Al Groh 5–7 3–5 5th (Coastal)
2009 Al Groh 3–9 2–6 6th (Coastal)
2010 Mike London 4–8 1–7 6th (Coastal)
2011 Mike London 8–5 5–3 2nd (Coastal) L Chick-fil-A Bowl
2012 Mike London 4–8 2–6 6th (Coastal)
2013 Mike London 2–10 0–8 7th (Coastal)
2014 Mike London 5–7 3–5 7th (Coastal)
2015 Mike London 4–8 3–5 6th (Coastal)

Fact is, if the ACC lost UVA, they would lose nothing. Not TV sets (Virginia Tech has Virginia covered anyways) and certainly not athletic prowess. Argue Maryland's success all you want, but it comes down to TV money and UMD simply brings more to the table than the hillbilly schools. It hurts, I know. At least y'all still have academics or wherever the goalposts move to next.

Reaction Score
Spin all you want dude. You were the one going off about recent results. Maryland won 10 games three times and went to a BCS bowl this century. What have the Wahoos done? Yikes...

2000 George Welsh 6–6 5–3 3rd L Oahu Bowl
2001 Al Groh 5–7 3–5 T–7th
2002 Al Groh 9–5 6–2 T–2nd W Continental Tire Bowl 22
2003 Al Groh 8–5 4–4 T–4th W Continental Tire Bowl
2004 Al Groh 8–4 5–3 T–3rd L MPC Computers Bowl 23
2005 Al Groh 7–5 3–5 5th (Coastal) W Music City Bowl
2006 Al Groh 5–7 4–4 3rd (Coastal)
2007 Al Groh 9–4 6–2 2nd (Coastal) L Gator Bowl
2008 Al Groh 5–7 3–5 5th (Coastal)
2009 Al Groh 3–9 2–6 6th (Coastal)
2010 Mike London 4–8 1–7 6th (Coastal)
2011 Mike London 8–5 5–3 2nd (Coastal) L Chick-fil-A Bowl
2012 Mike London 4–8 2–6 6th (Coastal)
2013 Mike London 2–10 0–8 7th (Coastal)
2014 Mike London 5–7 3–5 7th (Coastal)
2015 Mike London 4–8 3–5 6th (Coastal)

Fact is, if the ACC lost UVA, they would lose nothing. Not TV sets (Virginia Tech has Virginia covered anyways) and certainly not athletic prowess. Argue Maryland's success all you want, but it comes down to TV money and UMD simply brings more to the table than the hillbilly schools. It hurts, I know. At least y'all still have academics or wherever the goalposts move to next.
I have to laugh at that trip to a BCS bowl you keep talking about. Care to let everyone know how Maryland did when they went? Did you stay within 4 touchdowns of the opponent? The ACC is still recovering from that disastrous BCS bowl era.

Bringing up academics isn't a good idea for Maryland. The ACC lost nothing there either with Maryland's departure. And good to see your shining a light on Mike London's record since Maryland hired him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to laugh at that trip to a BCS bowl you keep talking about. Care to let everyone know how Maryland did when they went? Did you stay within 4 touchdowns of the opponent? The ACC is still recovering from that disastrous BCS bowl era.

Bringing up academics isn't a good idea for Maryland. The ACC lost nothing there either with Maryland's departure. And good to see your shining a light on Mike London's record since Maryland hired him.
Yay!!! an ACC fight on the BY...jeezus h christmas

Reaction Score
Yay!!! an ACC fight on the BY...jeezus h christmas

No fight really. Just Maryland fans trying to claim how important they were to the ACC when no one in the ACC has ever realized they were important.

I just get a kick out of this one bringing up a BCS bowl that most would try to hide from. Losing by 56-23 just doesn't seem like an item to show on the resume.

Reaction Score
No fight really. Just Maryland fans trying to claim how important they were to the ACC when no one in the ACC has ever realized they were important.

I just get a kick out of this one bringing up a BCS bowl that most would try to hide from. Losing by 56-23 just doesn't seem like an item to show on the resume.

Gentlemen, please, both of your schools are a joke.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

My God, you sound like a Rutgers fan. Ripping a school for their showing in a BCS game when your school has yet to make one? smh

Reaction Score
Gentlemen, please, both of your schools are a joke.

download.jpg

Reaction Score
My God, you sound like a Rutgers fan. Ripping a school for their showing in a BCS game when your school has yet to make one? smh
UVA played in the Sugar Bowl before. Had a much better showing. Never the Orange Bowl. That's true. And if we did play there and lost by 33 points, I wouldn't be talking about it.

Reaction Score
Bwahahahahahahahah!!!!
If Penn State could ever win in Charlottesville, we'd have a good discussion. But oh well. You'll just have to keep beating up on Maryland and Rutgers.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
UVA played in the Sugar Bowl before. Had a much better showing. Never the Orange Bowl. That's true. And if we did play there and lost by 33 points, I wouldn't be talking about it.

1991. Pre-BCS, at a time when the Sugar Bowl invited the SEC champ and a lesser team- not a champion- from another league. You didn't get there because you won your league. In fact, you finished third. But good try.

Now back to bashing schools UVA is better at football than. You should be done shortly.

Reaction Score
1991. Pre-BCS, at a time when the Sugar Bowl invited the SEC champ and a lesser team- not a champion- from another league. You didn't get there because you won your league. In fact, you finished third. But good try.

Now back to bashing schools UVA is better at football than. You should be done shortly.
Maryland works. We can be done at that point.

I'm not sure your point about the Sugar Bowl. Do you think Maryland lost 56-23 in the Orange Bowl to a champion from another league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom