Les Miles | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Les Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
He said "its not always size and strength..." Which means, sometimes it is. Which means we still have a chance! Great Success!

Filepicker-3VfcwPM3QVupgQ0fGtRI_borat.jpg

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
He said "its not always size and strength..." Which means, sometimes it is. Which means we still have a chance! Great Success!

exactly sometimes you just run into a guy that is so much more athletically gifted in size and functional strength that technique wont be able to overcome the short comings.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
LSU went for 630+ yards tonight. Coaching not scared. Hmmmmmm........

Reaction Score
According to the ourlads site ...

Alabama Starting OL:

LT Cam Robinson 6'6" 310lbs
LG Ross Pierschbacher 6'4" 304lbs
C Bradley Bozeman 6'5" 319lbs
RG Alphonse Taylor 6'5" 345lbs
RT Jonah Wiliams 6'5" 296lbs
Average = 6'5" 315lbs

UConn Starting OL:
LT Matthew Peart 6'7" 304lbs
LG Brendan Vechery 6'6" 309lbs
C Ryan Crozier 6'4" 300lbs
RG Richard Levy 6'6" 316lbs
RT Andreas Knappe 6'8" 325lbs
Average = 6'6" 311lbs

Not sure size is the difference ...
Try size and quick feet and maybe the blocking scheme. Please bring back Mike Foley if you plan on Smash Mouth football.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, Houston has zero OLs over 300

LT 74 Josh Jones 6-5 280 RFr.
LG 76 Kameron Eloph* 6-3 294 So.
C 69 Will Noble* 6-4 290 So. 4
RG 73 Marcus Oliver** 6-3 295 Jr.
RT 51 Na’Ty Rodgers 6-5 292 Jr.

Reaction Score
I have said if Diaco can recruit Alabama type of players, we can be successful playing smash mouth football. Since we can't, we better adapt and run the spread like rest of the college.

Reaction Score
dont know how many times i need to say this, its not always size and strength, technique and skill will beat size and strength almost every day of the week.
And quickness.

Reaction Score
Sadly HCBD is still trying to recruit like he did at ND.

HCBD is clearly on record saying he wants" big guys" since you can't coach size. Unfortunately the good big guys (particularly the O-line) go to the big name programs. The difference between the Bama O-line and UConn O-line is very small in terms of size but huge in athleticism and agility. Bottom line, while at ND, HCDB was able to recruit the atheltic big men...that won't consistently happen at UConn.

If UConn is going to succeed they are going to need to seek out that undersized player who plays his heart out and performs above his weight class. I'd much prefer a smaller, mobile O-line to the disaster UConn has now. It is a lot easier to recruit and scheme at a power program (although the pressure to win is greater). If HCBD is going to succeed at UConn he is going to need to be more creative and adaptive. "This is the type of player I recruit and this is the system we run" won't work against the big boys especially if they are recruiting the same type player.

Spread offense and attacking defenses were created to offset the size advantages of the big power programs. "Big and slow" will not trump "big and fast" nor will it beat "small and fast"...the Houston game proved that...

Reaction Score
Sadly HCBD is still trying to recruit like he did at ND.

HCBD is clearly on record saying he wants" big guys" since you can't coach size. Unfortunately the good big guys (particularly the O-line) go to the big name programs. The difference between the Bama O-line and UConn O-line is very small in terms of size but huge in athleticism and agility. Bottom line, while at ND, HCDB was able to recruit the atheltic big men...that won't consistently happen at UConn.

If UConn is going to succeed they are going to need to seek out that undersized player who plays his heart out and performs above his weight class. I'd much prefer a smaller, mobile O-line to the disaster UConn has now. It is a lot easier to recruit and scheme at a power program (although the pressure to win is greater). If HCBD is going to succeed at UConn he is going to need to be more creative and adaptive. "This is the type of player I recruit and this is the system we run" won't work against the big boys especially if they are recruiting the same type player.

Spread offense and attacking defenses were created to offset the size advantages of the big power programs. "Big and slow" will not trump "big and fast" nor will it beat "small and fast"...the Houston game proved that...
Yup. I have been saying for quite some time that the OL needs to trade some body mass for agility and quickness.

Reaction Score
Yup. I have been saying for quite some time that the OL needs to trade some body mass for agility and quickness.

Or you better be able to coach up those big guys. Which seems to be the underlying issue - a lot of our guys on the line just aren't making big enough strides year to year.

Reaction Score
Has been fired along with Cam Cameron.

I found it interesting that interim LSU head coach , Ed Orgeron credits PP for giving him a second chance at D1 football at Syracuse. Ironically PP is currently D-Line coach at BC. This is the same position Orgeron had at LSU prior to taking the interim HC position.

" Orgeron returned to coaching in 1994, but as a volunteer linebackers coach at Nicholls State University.[7] The following year, he moved from the south to the northeastern U.S., accepting a job with head coach Paul Pasqualoni's staff at Syracuse University, where he coached defensive line for three years.[5][8] Orgeron credited Pasqualoni for giving him a second chance at major-college coaching (after his prior personal issues had damaged his 'hireability'), and, helping him develop as a coach on- and off-the-field."

Ed Orgeron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reaction Score
Les Miles sucks as a coach. He's only won a national championship at LSU, 2 SEC championships, 3 SEC West Championships (in a conference with 'Bama and Auburn) and leaves with the highest winning percentage in the history of LSU football. Why in the world would we want him as a coach.

Seriously, some of you make freedom of speech look like a bad idea.

I agree Les Miles is a great coach but he is a Defensive oriented coach. The question then becomes, what's so terribly different about the same logic Hathaway applied in justifying the hiring of Paul Pasqualoni? Winningest coach in Big East History. 8 top 25 finishes, 4 Big East Championships, 1 New England Conference Championship, 6-3 bowl record, 107-59-1 record at Syracuse. Defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, etc., etc. Ironically PP was around the same age as Miles is now, 62 when he took the UCONN job. Pasqualoni's side kick , O coordinator was George Deleone and Miles had similar allegence to Cam Cameron. Both have been rumored to have contributed mightily to their respective firings.

As much as It would be sexy to have an SEC great such as Les Miles come to Storrs, I am afraid Husky fans would be treated to nothing more than Paul Pasqualoni II. Although, I will admit, the press conferences would be more entertaining!

I would much rather see a young up and coming coach similar to former Memphis Head coach Justin Fuentes now at VA Tech or former Toledo and now Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell. Former Ball State Head coach and current Associate HC at Maryland is another coach, Pete Lembo is someone I always admired. Another favorite is former UCONN OC/QB coach Joe Moorhead currently OC/QB coach at Penn State.

Too soon to tell at the moment, I have to see how Diaco finishes the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree Les Miles is a great coach but he is a Defensive oriented coach. The question then becomes, what's so terribly different about the same logic Hathaway applied in justifying the hiring of Paul Pasqualoni? Winningest coach in Big East History. 8 top 25 finishes, 4 Big East Championships, 1 New England Conference Championship, 6-3 bowl record, 107-59-1 record at Syracuse. Defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, etc., etc. Ironically PP was around the same age as Miles is now, 62 when he took the UCONN job. Pasqualoni's side kick , O coordinator was George Deleone and Miles had similar allegence to Cam Cameron. Both have been rumored to have contributed mightily to their respective firings.

As much as It would be sexy to have an SEC great such as Les Miles come to Storrs, I am afraid Husky fans would be treated to nothing more than Paul Pasqualoni II. Although, I will admit, the press conferences would be more entertaining!

I would much rather see a young up and coming coach similar to former Memphis Head coach Justin Fuentes now at VA Tech or former Toledo and now Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell. Former Ball State Head coach and current Associate HC at Maryland is another coach, Pete Lembo is someone I always admired. Another favorite is former UCONN OC/QB coach Joe Moorhead currently OC/QB coach at Penn State.

Les Miles isn't coming here. But you realize I hope that the failure of a coach does not mean that every future candidate with whom you find some similar characteristics on the resume means that everyone else here will fail to?

I can't not hire future lawyers because the last one we had who failed is also coming out of a law school and starting a career.

Reaction Score

Good point about Les Miles.. but unlike Coach P, he's still winning at an 8 game clip a season...

Reaction Score
Speaking of PP... for 1. how does he continue to get jobs around college and the NFL? and 2. why does he ALWAYS look suprised/bewildered when he had photos taken? LOL
image_handler.aspx

Because that's how coaching hires seem to work. Either nepotism or "good 'ol boy" network.

Reaction Score
Good point about Les Miles.. but unlike Coach P, he's still winning at an 8 game clip a season...

And P had been out of the college game for some time . . .

Reaction Score
Les Miles isn't coming here. But you realize I hope that the failure of a coach does not mean that every future candidate with whom you find some similar characteristics on the resume means that everyone else here will fail to?

I can't not hire future lawyers because the last one we had who failed is also coming out of a law school and starting a career.

Not talking about recent law grads we are talking hiring a seasoned 62 year old coach to lead our football team. Both coaches have similar success, philosophies and experiences. The former had an advantage with keen knowledge of the North East/CT recruiting area. In that case you would be wise to draw from your experience in having hired an aging defense oriented coach who was past his prime. We both know that Les Miles would NEVER entertain coming to UCONN anyway, not in a million years so in that regard, this is a futile discussion. However, Les Miles collecting nearly 10 Million for playing golf over the next 5 or 6 years would disqualify him from consideration. Instead I say go after the Fuentes, Campbells, and Lembos in the coaching world. Give someone else a chance.

Reaction Score

True, Pasqualoni's last three years were around 500 which is why he got canned by Cuse. No question LSU does not have the patience to wait. Fans grumbled the last couple years PP's time at Cuse. Not saying PP was better than LM but you have to admit that it is a similar situation. I am confident that if by some miracle they hired LM and he had a bad first year, negative comparisons to PP would be flying all over the place. Especially on the lovable kind Boneyard!

Reaction Score
Because that's how coaching hires seem to work. Either nepotism or "good 'ol boy" network.

No question favoritism exists, that's life but I like to think there is also friendship and loyalty among the coaching brethren.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom