Les Miles | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Les Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Les Miles sucks as a coach. He's only won a national championship at LSU, 2 SEC championships, 3 SEC West Championships (in a conference with 'Bama and Auburn) and leaves with the highest winning percentage in the history of LSU football. Why in the world would we want him as a coach.

Seriously, some of you make freedom of speech look like a bad idea.

Huh? I said Miles wouldn't take Benedicts call. Where did I say I wouldn't take him?

My point was why even consider him since he would never consider us.

Reaction Score
What happens when they swing and miss with Herman and they end up with another Ron Zook or Will Muschamp?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What happens when they swing and miss with Herman and they end up with another Ron Zook or Will Muschamp?

They'll reach out to Jimbo.

Orgeron has a ton of local ties over 30 years.

I'd love to what Petrino could do there, but I don't think SEC office would look kindly on bringing his circus back to town.

Reaction Score
6.1 to be accurate.
Oh so we are counting records from 4 coaches ago, the same coach that half the mental midgets on this board still talk crap about.

UConn has not won over 6 games since 2010, in that time Miles has won 11, 13, 10, 10, 8, and 9 games in the SEC West. But nice comparison.

Reaction Score
Agreed but Miles has multiple 4 & 5 stars and his strategy for reasons stated in this thread is a defensive oriented with an offense lacking in explosive plays. He has been on the hot seat for the last several years. I like him and agree that he is an excellent football coach but he hasn't been producing to LSU standards.

Obviously Bob Diaco needs to produce quickly as well. I have been a big fan of his but right now the team is not passing the eye ball test!

LSU standards - come on now. LSU has won three titles in the late 58, 03 and 07. Miles has one of those and he's got another title game appearance.

Expectations and standards are two different things. I grew up hearing about the LSU Chinese Bandits of Dietzel when they won the title in 58 so I have a bit of historical perspective. There's huge expectations in Baton Rouge but goodness the guy averaged like 10 wins a year over 11 years - last two years have been his worse, but the guy didn't forget how to coach.

Ed O is a recruiting machine, head coaching not so much.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agreed but Miles has multiple 4 & 5 stars and his strategy for reasons stated in this thread is a defensive oriented with an offense lacking in explosive plays. He has been on the hot seat for the last several years. I like him and agree that he is an excellent football coach but he hasn't been producing to LSU standards.

Obviously Bob Diaco needs to produce quickly as well. I have been a big fan of his but right now the team is not passing the eye ball test!

And that's not Saban's strategy? He's a defense first coach as well, and hardly runs a spread offense most of the time. I'm not saying LSU's offense it couldn't be better, it could. But running an offense that passes 80% of the time is a recipe for beating bad teams and losing to good ones.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
And that's not Saban's strategy? He's a defense first coach as well, and hardly runs a spread offense most of the time. I'm not saying LSU's offense it couldn't be better, it could. But running an offense that passes 80% of the time is a recipe for beating bad teams and losing to good ones.

Have you watched Alabama under Lane Kiffin? They score 40 every week while LSU is (12 years into Miles' tenure) losing to a team that didn't score a TD in the game. LSU runs like 70%. They are not even remotely balanced.

The administration told Miles to fire his buddy (Cam Cameron), and Miles refused. They both got fired then. Wish UConn would have done something similar 5 years ago.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have you watched Alabama under Lane Kiffin? They score 40 every week while LSU is (12 years into Miles' tenure) losing to a team that didn't score a TD in the game. LSU runs like 70%. They are not even remotely balanced.

The administration told Miles to fire his buddy (Cam Cameron), and Miles refused. They both got fired then. Wish UConn would have done something similar 5 years ago.

Alabama scores points but they don't do it by running a spread offense or anything close to it.
College Football Stats - College FB Team Passing Play Percentage on TeamRankings.com

Alabama ranks 91st in passing percentage at 42.77%. UConn by the way, is 69th at 46.64%, and that is with Shireffs running on called pass plays. LSU throws more than Alabama does. A dominant run game is still the best way to win football games. Most of the teams that throw the most are terrible.

Reaction Score
Alabama scores points but they don't do it by running a spread offense or anything close to it.
College Football Stats - College FB Team Passing Play Percentage on TeamRankings.com

Alabama ranks 91st in passing percentage at 42.77%. UConn by the way, is 69th at 46.64%, and that is with Shireffs running on called pass plays. LSU throws more than Alabama does. A dominant run game is still the best way to win football games. Most of the teams that throw the most are terrible.
When you can recruit the size Bama can, yes that is true. Most schools can't hence all of these innovative offenses. UConn needs to adapt, clearly.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

LSU does not throw more than Alabama on average. LSU has had to try and comeback in 2 games, which upped their %. Last year, LSU threw 36.80% of the time. The year before it was also around 35%. That is terrible. By comparison, Bama has been exactly the same as they always are, at about 42%.

The real issue is not number of passes thrown though. LSU constantly only runs 1 and 2 receiver routes off of play fakes. They run the fade and the fly pattern with regularity. There is ZERO innovation in their routes and scheme. LSU TEs had like 5 catches all of last year.

Reaction Score
At this point, not only would I welcome Les Miles, I'd take Petrino too.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
The reality is too is that Les Miles doesn't need the money I'm sure, but he's probably going to have to go back to a lower-level school as HC just like Petrino did. He is 62 however, so the question is does he need to/want to be doing this still?

I've heard Herman and Art Briles names thrown around for the LSU job. Funny you never hear much about where the former HC might go to next.

Reaction Score
The reality is too is that Les Miles doesn't need the money I'm sure, but he's probably going to have to go back to a lower-level school as HC just like Petrino did. He is 62 however, so the question is does he need to/want to be doing this still?

I've heard Herman and Art Briles names thrown around for the LSU job. Funny you never hear much about where the former HC might go to next.
Miles will not be unemployed long. He may be coaching ND next year..............

Reaction Score
When you can recruit the size Bama can, yes that is true. Most schools can't hence all of these innovative offenses. UConn needs to adapt, clearly.

According to the ourlads site ...

Alabama Starting OL:

LT Cam Robinson 6'6" 310lbs
LG Ross Pierschbacher 6'4" 304lbs
C Bradley Bozeman 6'5" 319lbs
RG Alphonse Taylor 6'5" 345lbs
RT Jonah Wiliams 6'5" 296lbs
Average = 6'5" 315lbs

UConn Starting OL:
LT Matthew Peart 6'7" 304lbs
LG Brendan Vechery 6'6" 309lbs
C Ryan Crozier 6'4" 300lbs
RG Richard Levy 6'6" 316lbs
RT Andreas Knappe 6'8" 325lbs
Average = 6'6" 311lbs

Not sure size is the difference ...

Reaction Score
LSU standards - come on now. LSU has won three titles in the late 58, 03 and 07. Miles has one of those and he's got another title game appearance.

Expectations and standards are two different things. I grew up hearing about the LSU Chinese Bandits of Dietzel when they won the title in 58 so I have a bit of historical perspective. There's huge expectations in Baton Rouge but goodness the guy averaged like 10 wins a year over 11 years - last two years have been his worse, but the guy didn't forget how to coach.

Ed O is a recruiting machine, head coaching not so much.

Standards or expectations for a top line program like LSU are daunting. I am aware of the storied history of the Bayou Tigers. Unfortunately we live in a world of "what have you done for me lately". Thinking Lane Kiffin may be the next LSU coach. Miles has said he is not done coaching. He should land a good gig. It is similar to Steve Spurrier going to South Carolina after many years with the Gators.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
According to the ourlads site ...

Alabama Starting OL:

LT Cam Robinson 6'6" 310lbs
LG Ross Pierschbacher 6'4" 304lbs
C Bradley Bozeman 6'5" 319lbs
RG Alphonse Taylor 6'5" 345lbs
RT Jonah Wiliams 6'5" 296lbs
Average = 6'5" 315lbs

UConn Starting OL:
LT Matthew Peart 6'7" 304lbs
LG Brendan Vechery 6'6" 309lbs
C Ryan Crozier 6'4" 300lbs
RG Richard Levy 6'6" 316lbs
RT Andreas Knappe 6'8" 325lbs
Average = 6'6" 311lbs

Not sure size is the difference ...

dont know how many times i need to say this, its not always size and strength, technique and skill will beat size and strength almost every day of the week.

Reaction Score
dont know how many times i need to say this, its not always size and strength, technique and skill will beat size and strength almost every day of the week.
So you are saying we still have a chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom