Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look if you want to flatter Geno and imply that he shaped those three into great players out of nothing, I can't help it.

Other top ranked recruits such as A. Wilson, B. Turner, and Deshields have done okay without his tutelage, so I feel confident saying Stewart would still have been terrific had she gone elsewhere.
If you are looking for intellectual consistency, you should stay away from fan boards.:rolleyes:
We have some people who think Geno can make chicken salad out of ckicken...feathers, and some who think Geno kept Kiah Stokes from being the next Michael Jordan.:p

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If you are looking for intellectual consistency, you should stay away from fan boards.:rolleyes:
We have some people who think Geno can make chicken salad out of ckicken...feathers, and some who think Geno kept Kiah Stokes from being the next Michael Jordan.:p

Haha, yes.

Geno is the best coach in wcbb, but he has definitely been making his chicken salad with choice cuts from organic, free-range chicken. Of course, through his virtuosity, he has earned the right to cook with only the finest ingredients. Nonetheless the quality of the ingredients is directly related to the quality of the salad.

Uh oh, now the authorities are coming to lock me up for torturing a metaphor to death.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Common denominator for KML, Stewart and Jefferson....hmmmmm...spend some time to think about it. Give you a hint: involves really good coaching.

BTW, who said anything about "flopping"? Top recruit for 2013?? How about 2014?? Some play well...some don't.

As far as locality, might help to look at a map. 3 of the 4 outside of TX is within a long, one-day drive. The other...1700 miles, Baby. Who knows what a 17 year old girl wants. BTW, I'm pretty sure what a 17 year old boy wants.
TMI! This gives me waaaaay too much insight about you, and hopefully more than you intended to provide in a public forum.

Reaction Score
True.It just goes to show that so many posts are developed at UConn are too many to even remember.
While I love the athleticism of Gabby and could not agree more that she plays much taller than her I believe 5'10" frame I would bet large amounts of money that any pro career she may have will not rest on keeping up with the post players of the WNBA. If her progress includes becoming a decent shooter her role is likely at the 3 as a pro, at least IMHO.

Reaction Score
Of Cox's remaining schools both Lady Vol's & ND have recent wins over South Carolina. Lady Vol's beat South Carolina in South Carolina by 20 on 1/03/13. I hope Cox is not thinking "where can I give Dawn the most trouble", because as a Lady Vols she will likely get 2 chances per year vs 1 at UCONN.
Best team is Connecticut!Best chance to beat South Carolina in 2015 is Connecticut!Only said that because competitive players sometimes think like that as well as teenagers.By the way I have been a Dawn Staley fan since she played in college.Beat UConn in FF and lost to Tenn but still named MOP.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Really...seems like EDD played volleyball exclusively her freshman year. Feel free to look it up.
She played volleyball instead of basketball because she was burned out on bball.

Delle Donne had grown to hate a sport she once loved. She blamed it because it was the easy thing to blame. Other people looked at her and saw the places basketball could lead her. She saw only a game that threatened to take her from a home she didn't want to leave, a home she wasn't ready to leave. She saw a sport eager to take her away from her family, away from a sister whose disabilities meant that communication depended not on sight and sound made so easy by modern technology but on more tactile senses such as touch and smell.

"I've got to be honest, that week or two when she came back from UConn, I really didn't think she'd play basketball," Gene Delle Donne said. "I really didn't. I would talk to her, and you could sense that she was so sick and tired of everything to do with the sport that, no, I thought she could just be a regular student for the rest of her life."

Only gradually did the fog lift. The first time her brother could recall Elena smiling was soon after he returned to Tennessee, when she came to visit for a white-water rafting trip. They didn't talk much about basketball -- the family made it a point to let that subject lie fallow that summer -- but there were some signs of her old self. The next step, after deciding to enroll at Delaware, was playing volleyball for the Blue Hens. She was good, just as she had been good at every athletic endeavor in her life. Delaware made the NCAA tournament that season, leading her dad to bring up the idea of transferring to a place such as Penn State, a national power in the sport. But volleyball was a substitute, something to take her mind off basketball while still allowing her to scratch a competitive itch.

In announcing her plans to play volleyball in a news conference, she said she felt she had been a "different person" when she played that sport in high school. It was the sentiment of someone still angry with basketball

Finding Her Way Back Home

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Thank you, Nan, for posting that. I hadn't read that article previously.

The one statement that really surprised me was that Elena was worried, as she returned home from Connecticut after a couple of days, that her parents would tell her to get back in the car and return to Storrs. They didn't (to their credit), but they made sure she understood what a big decision she was making. Obviously, she did.

I wonder if I might mention another minor mystery about that whole event. In two days at Connecticut, what "friend" could she possibly have made who would have been willing to drive her home to Delaware overnight, or even to an Amtrak station? It seems to me that there is only one person whom she might have asked, and who might have done it. Has anyone else thought what I am thinking?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Elena and her decision to return home was made a feature segment on CBS "60 Minutes." It was, as I recall it, both pretty accurate reporting, and sympathetic to all involved. It's not as though UConn kidnapped her. She and they jointly made a decision that did not work out for either in the short run. But in the longer view, both UConn and Delle Donne thrived.

A final thought. I think it speaks well of the Huskies fanbase that Elena and her decision are viewed with some measure of compassion. She seems to be seen here as a person first and a player second. Well played.

Reaction Score
TMI! This gives me waaaaay too much insight about you, and hopefully more than you intended to provide in a public forum.

Whaaaat??? A 17 year old boy is normally looking for a deeply meaningful relationship! Get you're mind out of the gutter. ;)

Reaction Score
Other top ranked recruits such as A. Wilson, B. Turner, and Deshields have done okay without his tutelage, so I feel confident saying Stewart would still have been terrific had she gone elsewhere.

Also, it's pretty funny that you are already downplaying the potential impact of Boley before her senior year of HS.[/QUOTE]

As freshmen, yes, they did ok. Comes down to what they want...good or Elite. Interesting that about half of the best women's basketball team in the WORLD is made up of UCONN women. Must be preferential treatment...in your mind anyway.

As far as the Boley girl, never seen her play. You're the one promoting her...before her senior year. :p

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As freshmen, yes, they did ok. Comes down to what they want...good or Elite. Interesting that about half of the best women's basketball team in the WORLD is made up of UCONN women. Must be preferential treatment...in your mind anyway.

As far as the Boley girl, never seen her play. You're the one promoting her...before her senior year. :p

No, I'm not. It was CocoHusky who brought up Boley.

And I didn't say anything about preferential treatment on the national team, but you likely knew that.

It seems you just want to put words into my mouth (or on my keyboard, as the case may be). Please don't.

Reaction Score
According to Carl. Has also set up her other official visits.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/cox-sets-up-official-visits-including-to-uconn/#more-16438
Well that's a good sign. If nothing else, she will get to see UCONN and its' fans at their best. I don't think that we are the favorites by any stretch, but at least she gets to get the full UCONN experience...
We're the favorites IF she wants NCs, not to mention playing for Geno and with KLS.

Reaction Score
Look if you want to flatter Geno and imply that he shaped those three into great players out of nothing, I can't help it.

As for location, if being within a 16 hr drive of home satisfies her supposed location concerns, they are hardly comparable to those of EDD.

Also, it's pretty funny that you are already downplaying the potential impact of Boley before her senior year of HS.

So have many also been terrific without the tutoring oh McGraw. So what's your point? Fans are fans everywhere. In case you are lost this is an UConn fan board.

Reaction Score
She's tall, that's all I know about her. In the U19 games I saw her playing time was minimal. How good is she??
As to the effect of First Night, I think that is a big deal for fans and recruits alike. It's hard to believe a kid will see a prospective team getting more love than UConn Women BB does. It's Electric and pyrogenic and Loud.
How good is she? Well, she's the most college ready big girl I saw last summer playing for the national team. Frankly, she's not as polished as KLS, but as she grows into her body I expect her to be terrific. Love to see those two under the Husky hoop.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So have many also been terrific without the tutoring oh McGraw. So what's your point?

The point is that highly ranked players tend to go on to have strong college careers regardless of where they go to school. That point was made in reference to the statement that recruiting rankings don't mean much. Historically being the #1 recruit has been a strong indicator of success, hence the intense interest in Cox's recruitment is justified.

Here are the #1 players (per HG) I could find for past years:

2014 - A'ja Wilson (SEC FOY, 3rd team AP All-American)
2013 - Mercedes Russell
2012 - Breanna Stewart (3x NCAA champion, 3x NPOY)
2011 - Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (3x NCAA champion, 2x All-American)
2010 - Chiney Ogwumike (#1 overall WNBA draft pick)
2009 - Brittney Griner (WNBA and NCAA champion, WNBA DPOY)
2008 - Elena Delle Donne (WNBA ROY, likely 2015 MVP)
2007 - Maya Moore (WNBA MVP, WNBA Champion)

Besides Russell, who is coming off of an injury and about to play her 2nd year, that's a pretty illustrious list of players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Also, it's pretty funny that you are already downplaying the potential impact of Boley before her senior year of HS.

As far as the Boley girl, never seen her play. You're the one promoting her...before her senior year. :p[/QUOTE]
  • If 1/2 of the Women's National basketball team is not affiliated with UCONN & Geno's coaching that proves Orangutan's point that some players would have excelled regardless of who coached them.
  • A. Wilson, B. Turner, and Deshields did more than "OK" as Freshmen. All three considered UCONN and decided to go elsewhere. So by your theory none of them "want" to be elite. That is horse manure!
  • You missed the point on that "Boley girl" who you have never seen play. Boley is highly ranked and committed to ND, same class as Cox who is uncommitted. 1 Highly ranked commit puts ND in good shape, two might put them out of the "2nd Place" you are determined to relegate ND to. Of course you wouldn't know that because we know, we know "You've never seen her play "

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So have many also been terrific without the tutoring oh McGraw. So what's your point? Fans are fans everywhere. In case you are lost this is an UConn fan board.
Simply as stated that: "Stewart would still have been terrific had she gone elsewhere."
Let's not turn this into a UCONN vs ND or Geno vs Muffett thing or a how dare you on a UCONN fan board kind of vibe.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Folks - Uconn isn't for everybody, and Geno isn't for everybody - and it doesn't come down to whether they have enough 'basketball ambition' or 'want an NC.' It comes down to an environment where they think they will thrive and have a great 4 year college experience.
Uconn is great for some people and Geno is great for some people. But leave it at that. This idea that no one will win another NC unless they wear a Uconn uniform is hogwash - hogwash that smells like lavender water admittedly :rolleyes:, but still hogwash.
Great to be a fanatic, but lets keep a little perspective, and cut the recruits that choose other schools a little slack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom