Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Pretty sure the entire family will be travelling with her to Notre Dame, and a few, if not all the other official visit destinations.

What are you basing that theory on? Are siblings usually involved in official visits?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
A point in UCONN's favor, which others pointed out months ago, is Natalie Butler. If Cox comes to UCONN, she knows she's got a legitimate center playing next to her for two years so she, Cox, doesn't have to be the only big.

She will know she has a legit center or two for 3 years at Baylor. I am guessing that Mulkey would have Cox at the 4 and Brown at the 5 with Mompremier giving each a blow since she looks to be capable of playing either position. That would be an incredible rotation.

JS

Reaction Score
She will know she has a legit center or two for 3 years at Baylor. I am guessing that Mulkey would have Cox at the 4 and Brown at the 5 with Mompremier giving each a blow since she looks to be capable of playing either position. That would be an incredible rotation.
religion-elephant-noah-arks-twos_company-crowd-dpan2191_low.jpg

Reaction Score
The interesting thing about Cox is her upside. Frankly, I am surprised she's ranked #1...Dangerfield seems much more polished. Watching her in the U-19s, she showed little to no offensive abilities. Granted, she looked uncomfortable playing with that older group, but her shot outside of 2-3 ft looked almost cockeyed. She bends and twirls, bringing the ball down to a lower level. Kind of strange. However, she moves really well, can get up and down the court and is an excellent passer. Good rebounder as well. Miss Kim is hardly the person to develop a "big"...after all, she had the most dominant post player ever and won it all ONCE. However, Geno....

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Thats a point for ND as well
I agree it's a point in ND's favor, too, though there it also means more competition for playing time. I guess with Reimer it would be for only one year.

A couple of people have mentioned Baylor, but those two rising frosh are yet unproven. And Brown seems slow. They may yet be stars, who knows. If so, the playing time situation could be worse there.

I'm calling Natalie a proven commodity at the D-I level. She may or may not be a star, but she seems "legit." I suppose it is possible she would overlap with Cox for only one year, but that doesn't seem likely to me.

Reaction Score
Who knows what final factors will sway Lauren into making her decision, but this thread has done a nice job of pointing out the upside of her becoming a Husky. The Lobo, Walters, Moore, Charles, Dolson scenarios all point to the job that is done here by CD and Geno to develop post players. Without attending UCONN it's probable that three of those players never play a minute in the WNBA.

As has been pointed out elsewhere on this site, Wolters was quite a project, yet look where she has been. NC's, a pro career, and now an on-air job. Lauren Cox may decide to stay home, or might be enticed to help Jeff Walz to drag his team to the mountaintop, but if she wants to know just how good she can be if she applies her mind and body to the task, she'll follow the example set by KLS, who could easily have stayed home and gone to a great school with an outstanding, universally respected, basketball program, but instead decided to take the challenge of travelling 3,000 miles to find out just how good a player she can really be.

In the end we'll either be looking for space for Lauren's banner on the Huskie's Wall of Honor, or we'll be watching our own post keep her away from the basket when we play her team head to head.

We ask kids who are seventeen to decide their future while parents, friends, coaches, communities, and college alums are barking advice in their direction. Sometimes as it was with D, Maya, KML, Moriah, and now Katie Lou the kids take the chance and leave their comfort zones and are rewarded by being part of greatness, and sometime the pressure to become a part of another program wins out and they go elsewhere.

Despite what is often reported in the Media we don't get all the best players. Look at the recruiting classes for ND, Duke, South Carolina and Tenneesee over the past five years. We get players who crave becoming the best they can be, and they're the one we want.

Reaction Score
Well said, Bonpland. Signing High School All Americans looks great in the media guide. Developing them, as a basketball player and assisting their personal growth, is another matter. Some young kids love the attention of recruiting, but don't necessarily want to work for that next level. Goodness knows, I loved college because they didn't take roll. I was much more interested in goofing off.

Reaction Score
Thanks Gus for pointing out that Marisa is an important part of the process now.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As far as Cox playing anywhere but UConn let me say this. Look at all the post players who have played on other teams, then look at Dolsen, Stokes, Tina Charles, Jessica Moore, Breanna Stewart for a few examples and tell me what coach you would want developing her. There are a lot of girls who have played for great teams who have played really well, but only UConn has made their post players really great.

Reaction Score
Wherever she goes, she is a game changer. Was watching one of her games......forget where ,but she did absolutely nothing the entire game until her team struggled. That's when I was like wow she is REALLY good. It was like watching a women playing with little girls. I was gonna report back here about how she was nothing special, but she is. My opinion is that she is so good that we are lucky to have Natalie Butler......just in case like a Notre Dame get her because Natalie I think can equalize her. I think she is a dominant overall #1 ranked player that if we weren't always so good she would be a must have.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The interesting thing about Cox is her upside. Frankly, I am surprised she's ranked #1...Dangerfield seems much more polished. Watching her in the U-19s, she showed little to no offensive abilities. Granted, she looked uncomfortable playing with that older group, but her shot outside of 2-3 ft looked almost cockeyed. She bends and twirls, bringing the ball down to a lower level. Kind of strange. However, she moves really well, can get up and down the court and is an excellent passer. Good rebounder as well. Miss Kim is hardly the person to develop a "big"...after all, she had the most dominant post player ever and won it all ONCE. However, Geno....

I was a Griner fan back in high school and I truly wish she would have gone to UCONN because I agree that Geno is the best at developing talent. I think she is a once in a lifetime athlete and I would like to see her develop to her full potential. Her "upside" should not have been so great coming out of college.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I was a Griner fan back in high school and I truly wish she would have gone to UCONN because I agree that Geno is the best at developing talent. I think she is a once in a lifetime athlete and I would like to see her develop to her full potential. Her "upside" should not have been so great coming out of college.
Texas Girls HS BBall was huge at that time, with BG, the O Sisters and KBone...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think she was emotionally ready/mature enough for that kind of experience - but otherwise I agree.
Geno and his assistants are never satisfied with 'good enough' and with the truly exceptional players force them to expand what they are capable of doing beyond what is necessary for the programs success. They have a vision of what is possible even for the less than exceptional players, take them to the mountaintop to see that vision, and if they want it enough, teach them how to reach that distant land!

Reaction Score
Texas Girls HS BBall was huge at that time, with BG, the O Sisters and KBone...

It was fun...I moved to Rockwall in late 2006 and met some good buddies at an awesome cigar bar. One of my buds had a daughter on the basketball team. They ran the table that year and played the O sisters in the 2007 finals. Both teams were 39-0. The older O had an awesome game (28pts, 14 boards), but Rockwell played as a complete team and won 59-54. None of the Rockwall girls went on the college glory, but they were sure fun to watch. Well-coached, selfless players.

Reaction Score
So ETT , what do you think your chances are being she has visited BU numerous times? Mulkey is a good coach and I give her her props , but she has a large number of bigs committed already.
Hopefully that is what is pushing her to Connecticut.Between Staley not giving her more minutes and all the bigs SC have could be the reason they were dropped from her list and she has that competitive fire to say you made a big mistake and wants to beat coach Staley.The only place that will help her achieve that goal is UConn and the Huskies by 20 Feb.8.Hopefully she sees what CD and MM do for the bigs and they will tap every bit of her ability just as long as she wants to put the effort in.Connecticut will maximize her potential and help her be successful in whatever she pursues.HGN you are dead on about the bigs at Baylor and the same with a couple others on her list.

Reaction Score
I've never wished Griner had gone to UCONN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hopefully that is what is pushing her to Connecticut.Between Staley not giving her more minutes and all the bigs SC have could be the reason they were dropped from her list and she has that competitive fire to say you made a big mistake and wants to beat coach Staley.The only place that will help her achieve that goal is UConn and the Huskies by 20 Feb.8.Hopefully she sees what CD and MM do for the bigs and they will tap every bit of her ability just as long as she wants to put the effort in.Connecticut will maximize her potential and help her be successful in whatever she pursues.HGN you are dead on about the bigs at Baylor and the same with a couple others on her list.

You are saying that UCONN is the only team that will be able to beat South Carolina while she is in college?

Reaction Score
Please, if she had gone to UCONN you would have been her biggest fan. Players like her are always loved by the team she plays for and hated by the opponent. DT has a little of that going on for her.

Absolutely. If DT3 had gone to Tennessee, she would have been the most hated player here, ever. Hated, but truly respected.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Absolutely. If DT3 had gone to Tennessee, she would have been the most hated player here, ever. Hated, but truly respected.
surprised CP3 isnt respected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99