Lasan Kromah commits to Uconn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lasan Kromah commits to Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a very good move, can't believe some people don't think it is. We get another person who can handle the ball, is a lockdown defender and only takes up a scholarship for next year. With all of the stud recruits we are involved with for '14 this is a no brainer move. We add quality depth and don't take up a scholly for the future.

I agree, well said. Our philosophy for adding depth has shifted from late offers to marginally talented guys (Garrison, Darius Smith) to picking up graduate transfers. So we only lock a scholarship up for 1 year instead of 4, and instead of a deer in the headlights we get an experienced, veteran guy. What's not to love?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
How is acquiring a useful asset deemed anything else but a good get for this team? We have fans here projecting two freshmen for meaningful minutes without any real knowledge if they can develop into bona fide college players (disregarding Rivals star rating). This kid IS a bona fide and chose UConn to finish out his career.

I truly do not understand the Negative Nancy attitude.

I am not a fan of adding players for now, but rather for the long-run. We need to think of the future. And Kromah isn't exactly a good player. Sure he averaged double digits, but so did Evans and he was nowhere near capable of playing high major ball.

If you look at his per game stats, he gets shut down completely against good competition. Against Notre Dame, Georgia (who isn't good), Rutgers, Temple, and VCU he broke 10pts once. And in each of those games he shot the ball w/ less than 50% accuracy. He played #3 Syracuse and #20-ish Cal his sophomore year and got shut down completely.

I'm not being negative on purpose, I'm being skeptical because he hasn't proved anything yet. I'm not expecting anything from this kid. If he gives 5ppg I'll be pleased.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of adding players for now, but rather for the long-run. We need to think of the future. And Kromah isn't exactly a good player. Sure he averaged double digits, but so did Evans and he was nowhere near capable of playing high major ball.

If you look at his per game stats, he gets shut down completely against good competition. Against Notre Dame, Georgia (who isn't good), Rutgers, Temple, and VCU he broke 10pts once. And in each of those games he shot the ball w/ less than 50% accuracy. He played #3 Syracuse and #20-ish Cal his sophomore year and got shut down completely.

I'm not being negative on purpose, I'm being skeptical because he hasn't proved anything yet. I'm not expecting anything from this kid. If he gives 5ppg I'll be pleased.

RJ Evans wasn't brought in to score. That is not the reason in this case either. Also, 10 ppg at GW > 10 ppg at Holy Cross.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's not Friday yet- are we getting another commit this week as well?
Barring a "A+" quality big man transfer this is a solid move. Honestly- we sucked when Bazz was hurt-that is why we all wanted him to come back next year. This helps keep him and OC healthy and if teams can't score it is hard to win- love D first players ala Ricky Moore.

Ricky Moore was recruited as a better all around PG, not just a defender/passer. He averaged over 20 PPG his senior season in Georgia and had a few big points numbers off the bench his freshman year. He was good before, but became a lock down defender between his So. and Jr. seasons.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I agree, well said. Our philosophy for adding depth has shifted from late offers to marginally talented guys (Garrison, Darius Smith) to picking up graduate transfers. So we only lock a scholarship up for 1 year instead of 4, and instead of a deer in the headlights we get an experienced, veteran guy. What's not to love?
Technically scholarships are only good for 1 year. They need to be renewed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

What's wrong with adding a player for now if it doesn't hurt the long-run? We were better with Evans than without him and I think the same is true with Kromah. Are we losing out on some long-term stud by taking him? That doesn't seem likely.

Husky25

Reaction Score

I don't know if he was the #1 scoring option at GW, but where is he being considered and who is expecting him to be the team savior here? He is a complimentary piece. 5ppg off the bench is better offensively than what Olander gave UConn at any one point last year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Anyone complaining about this needs to realize half the reason we got into this APR mess was we took too many incoming freshman with debatable UConn skill sets and they ended up transferring and killing the APR.

We got a proven player to help for one year. Some people will complain over anything.

KO knows exactly what he is doing.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Those complaining are assuming that we brought this kid in at the expense of Wolf. I assume. And they are wrong. I assume.

Reaction Score

This move has absolutely no effect on our ability to add players for the long term. Your comment doesn't make any sense.

Reaction Score
Ricky Moore was recruited as a better all around PG, not just a defender/passer. He averaged over 20 PPG his senior season in Georgia and had a few big points numbers off the bench his freshman year. He was good before, but became a lock down defender between his So. and Jr. seasons.

He was actually supposed to be a very good scorer and had a couple of moments his freshman year. He then had an absolutely hideous year as a point which necessitated Khalid. People forget that Ricky was a goat going into his junior year.

Reaction Score

picard-double-facepalm-gif-5917.gif

Husky25

Reaction Score
Anyone complaining about this needs to realize half the reason we got into this APR mess was we took too many incoming freshman with debatable UConn skill sets and they ended up transferring and killing the APR.

We got a proven player to help for one year. Some people will complain over anything.

KO knows exactly what he is doing.
Transfers don't affect APR unless they are not in good academic standing upon transfer, but other than that. I agree...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Thats what the other 12 scholarships are for. We had 1 extra and this is the best player available so you take him for 1 year. Worst case scenario he helps you marginally with depth and is gone next year. How can you not like it???

Reaction Score
Even if you see this as a pointless addition he's gone after a year. He played in the A-ten a very solid conference and averaged double digits for three years. This kid isn't chop liver.

Reaction Score
Transfers don't affect APR unless they are not in good academic standing upon transfer, but other than that. I agree...

...which is what happened with Darius Smith, and also they can leave in good academic standing but not have a certain GPA and still cause a program to lose points, which is what happened with Jamal Coombs-McDaniel(UConn scored a 975 instead of a perfect score the year he transferred).

Reaction Score
This is a great move no ifs ands or buts on this one!!

And hopefully EW comes back and completes his time in Storrs.........he would hurt a little as far as depth with the bigs if he stayed home!! Maybe more than a little........

Nonetheless this kid is a better fit than even RJ, God forgive me because I liked what RJ did for this team. If you think he was told he was going to play 24.5 minutes at UConn like he did at GWU you're crazy...instead he was told by his ex-coach he would be a great fit and play some key minutes on a team who can be in the hunt for a NCAA title if they play well........just knowing the kid has ten toes in and just wants to experience playing for the Huskies should tell you he's a great fit......and he's a solid defender by all accounts!! Nice

Husky25

Reaction Score
He was actually supposed to be a very good scorer and had a couple of moments his freshman year. He then had an absolutely hideous year as a point which necessitated Khalid. People forget that Ricky was a goat going into his junior year.

Moore was still pretty good as a Soph. He got the Huskies to the Elite Eight vs UNC who basically played a home game in Greensboro.

El-Amin committed to Clem Haskins at Minnesota as a freshman, IIRC. He even played in the McD's AA game as a Minn. commit. When the Gophers looked like they were going on probation in 1997, with Haskins taking the fall (basically), he decommitted. Big time steal for UConn.

Reaction Score
Hopefully I can help out a bit, since I'm at gw and have seen him play. He's a decent scorer, can hit some threes, and has some pretty good moves to the basket. He's better than rj, more athletic for sure. I think this will be a good addition and really help us out when it comes to depth

caw

Reaction Score
Great pickup for one year. Hope Wolf comes back as a walk-on.

Reaction Score
Moore was still pretty good as a Soph. He got the Huskies to the Elite Eight vs UNC who basically played a home game in Greensboro.

El-Amin committed to Clem Haskins at Minnesota as a freshman, IIRC. He even played in the McD's AA game as a Minn. commit. When the Gophers looked like they were going on probation in 1997, with Haskins taking the fall (basically), he decommitted. Big time steal for UConn.

UConn was an NIT team Ricky's sophomore year. The year they lost to UNC, KEA was a freshman and Ricky slid over to the 2. That was his junior year. Ricky was not great as the starting PG as a sophomore...earned the nickname "Rickety" from a lot of boneyarders. Team was loaded with freshmen (albeit good ones, RIP, K-Free, Jake) and it's most experienced player, Kirk King, was suspended for much of the year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Right, it seemed to me many of our freshman transfers didn't exactly post the best grades.

Why take the academic chance on a guy who probably won't cut it on the court is what I'm husky saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom