Lasan Kromah commits to Uconn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lasan Kromah commits to Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like this move. He is 6'5 adds size depth. Will take all Evans minutes maybe takes minutes from Giffey. Let us give Calhoun rest. We don't need guys playing 38 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Just read that Kromah is a gifted athlete and a very good on-the-ball defender. I said in an earlier post that he wasn't a shooter, but maybe he can find his niche on the other end of the floor. Kromah and Giffey can be UConn's end-of-game lockdown defenders.

Reaction Score
Our backcourt is by no means crowded. If Kromah can handle the ball(I have no idea if he can) we needed another player back there. As for Wolf it wasn't even a given he'd start for us, not saying they're the end all/be all but both Duffy and Amore predicted Facey starting at C.

By my count, we already have Napier, Boatright, and Samuel capable of playing the point (correct me if I'm wrong on Samuel as you probably know more about him than me). It's essensially a guarantee one of Napier/Boatright will be playing the two for at least 25 minutes a game, and for the other 15, we have Calhoun and Samuel to distribute minutes to. IMO, this team has more depth in the backcourt than you think - do yourself a favor and try to distribute the 200 minutes for next years team, because there aren't many of them available at the one, two, and three.

And I agree on Wolf - it's not a monumental loss (if true), and may even be a blessing in disguise, but I'd much prefer the extra seven feet than another ball handler at this point.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Sounds like a very solid addition.
It is not fair to the existing players to speculate about who may be gone...unlikely but perhaps someone is voluntarily giving up a scholarship but will remain or perhaps Kromah will be a walk on.until we know it is not fair to the existing players to throw their names out there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
By my count, we already have Napier, Boatright, and Samuel capable of playing the point (correct me if I'm wrong on Samuel as you probably know more about him than me). It's essensially a guarantee one of Napier/Boatright will be playing the two for at least 25 minutes a game, and for the other 15, we have Calhoun and Samuel to distribute minutes to. IMO, this team has more depth in the backcourt than you think - do yourself a favor and try to distribute the 200 minutes for next years team, because there aren't many of them available at the one, two, and three.

And I agree on Wolf - it's not a monumental loss (if true), and may even be a blessing in disguise, but I'd much prefer the extra seven feet than another ball handler at this point.

Don't know if you are wrong or right about Samuels but it's always a projection of how well a high school player can immediately transition to college.

I like the move on its face. I'd like to know where the cut came from to make room for him to be on scholarship.

Reaction Score
Maybe this means Tolksdorf is gone? Nothing against Leon but I would much prefer he is gone and not Wolf. Leon locks up a scholarship for another 3 years and Wolf is gone after this allowing us to target even more top recruits. Not to mention Wolf will helps us far more this year. Not wishing Leon gone, but if given the choice it's a no brainer.

Reaction Score

Alright so this clip is him and his team at GW playing against VCU. He scores on a couple drives and shows good ball handling skills. The 2nd link I am about to post is of him in HS so it's a while back. But he show's a nice stroke from 3. He looks like a good player. Could definitely help us out. I can see him putting up some points especially in AAC play against some of those lighter teams.

PS: He is #20 on white up top

Reaction Score

Boat and Bazz are playing in the backcourt together, UConn will be at their best with them on the floor together so it really makes no sense to say what minutes each will play at PG, they'll be out there together. I like Samuel but when you compare him to some of the guys we've had come in recently and play freshmen minutes at PG(Bazz, Boat, Kemba) I just don't see him on that level, its tough to say what we would get out of him. Omar will be a stud but as its been pointed out we don't need guys playing 35+ a game, that takes a toll and adds up. One bad fall here and there like Bazz and Omar took and we're wiped out in terms of guard depth. Kromah seems like a better version of RJ Evans, looking at his career notes he's had some very good games against good competition, he's an insurance policy for guard depth at worst and a key contributor/regular cog of the rotation at best.

Reaction Score
He's experienced, tall guard and has skills. Ollie knows guards and it appears (so far) he likes to go small with speed. If Ollie (Hobbs) likes/wants him then so do I. We have enough serviceable bigs, not like Wolf was an All-Conference big anyway, although I hope he comes back.

Reaction Score
Maybe this means Tolksdorf is gone? Nothing against Leon but I would much prefer he is gone and not Wolf. Leon locks up a scholarship for another 3 years and Wolf is gone after this allowing us to target even more top recruits. Not to mention Wolf will helps us far more this year. Not wishing Leon gone, but if given the choice it's a no brainer.

I actually see Leon helping more this year. I like his game. He mixes it up. Second year in the program, he's going to knock down a lot of 3s. Wolf is a lot more limited than most UConn fans imagine. He loses his defensive assignment and falls asleep a lot. I'm hoping UConn improves by leaps and bounces up front with Facey, Brimah, Nolan and Giffey getting most of the minutes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm fine with this. University/KO decided that EW can play ball but his schollie revoked because of his actions. Sets a good precedent for incoming and existing players. It should shut up freescooter but it won't.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Highly doubt Kromah will take Giff's minutes. If anything, he'll be used to rest Boat/Bazz/Calhoun. I see like 7-13 minutes a game.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
2 inches taller than RJ and clearly a better shooter. Brings more muscle than most of our players, looks athletic and has a reputation for being a tough defender. Very good addition, particularly given all the injuries the team is dealing with now.

Reaction Score
This is a very good move, can't believe some people don't think it is. We get another person who can handle the ball, is a lockdown defender and only takes up a scholarship for next year. With all of the stud recruits we are involved with for '14 this is a no brainer move. We add quality depth and don't take up a scholly for the future.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
This team will have the depth and athleticism to press a good bit now.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This doesn't seem to make much sense.

Don't like this move.

How is acquiring a useful asset deemed anything else but a good get for this team? We have fans here projecting two freshmen for meaningful minutes without any real knowledge if they can develop into bona fide college players (disregarding Rivals star rating). This kid IS a bona fide and chose UConn to finish out his career.

I truly do not understand the Negative Nancy attitude.

Reaction Score
Boat and Bazz are playing in the backcourt together, UConn will be at their best with them on the floor together so it really makes no sense to say what minutes each will play at PG, they'll be out there together. I like Samuel but when you compare him to some of the guys we've had come in recently and play freshmen minutes at PG(Bazz, Boat, Kemba) I just don't see him on that level, its tough to say what we would get out of him. Omar will be a stud but as its been pointed out we don't need guys playing 35+ a game, that takes a toll and adds up. One bad fall here and there like Bazz and Omar took and we're wiped out in terms of guard depth. Kromah seems like a better version of RJ Evans, looking at his career notes he's had some very good games against good competition, he's an insurance policy for guard depth at worst and a key contributor/regular cog of the rotation at best.

I'll take your word for it, I just don't know where the minutes are coming from. Even if you assume Napier, Boat, and Daniels only play 32-33 minutes a game, which I think is conservative, you're still squeezed:

PG - Napier 32 min, Boat 8 min

SG - Boat 25 min, Omar 10 min, Samuel 5 min

SF - Omar 20 min, Giffey 20 min

PF - Daniels 33 min, Facey 7 min

C - Wolf 15 min, Facey 15 min, Nolan 10 min

And this doesn't even account for guys like Olander and Tolksdorf, who may see some minutes as well. I don't think cutting into Giffey or Omar's minutes is a wise idea, which is basically what the addition of this kid is doing, IMO.

Reaction Score
How the hell is this not a good move? I will take one of these every year provided we have a 'ship open. Has proven he can play good D-1 basketball and is not being asked to be anything more than a useful piece. I loved RJ on the team last year. Hobbs must know he's a high character guy. There is no downside here. 1 year commitment. Enosh made a bad decision last year and has lost the privilege of having a UConn 'ship. Hope he chooses to come back as a walk-on.

Reaction Score
is D. Borges slow, what a dumb comment he posted on his blog:

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/

Kromah would take the scholarship of Enosch Wolf, whose suspension is over and has been invited back to the team -- as a non-scholarship player.
Not sure if I like that. I guess you could say UConn is still giving Wolf the chance to play, and that he made his own bed by getting arrested in a domestic dispute with his girlfriend in February.
Still, it seems UConn is finding a way to open up a scholarship for a player at the expense of another player.

Reaction Score
It's not Friday yet- are we getting another commit this week as well?
Barring a "A+" quality big man transfer this is a solid move. Honestly- we sucked when Bazz was hurt-that is why we all wanted him to come back next year. This helps keep him and OC healthy and if teams can't score it is hard to win- love D first players ala Ricky Moore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom