Kwintin Williams Commits to UConn! | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Kwintin Williams Commits to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Getting yanked at the drop of the hat ...

Think about that you with contrasted view of JC and KO. Calhoun OFTEN Yanked kids a few minutes in for a missed assignment or lack of toughness. Here we have Ollie pulling tough love on minutes for both Enoch and Durham ... and they transfer. Was Calhoun that far better a off-the-court mentor motivator confessor to pull this off? Or simply ... kids/advisers are different.

Bobby Huggins has permanently changed his recruiting because specific kids aren't going to go to his style. Perhaps this is the message. We want continued UConn culture ... which means kids that can be tough.

Reaction Score
The 2009 team actually had the same amount of guys play in the NBA if my memory serves me correct.

If it's any of the post 2004 teams in a head to head matchup, I'm taking 2009 over 2006, 2011 and 2014.

2009 - 5 guys played in the NBA
Fr. Walker - 1x NBA All Star and improving (obviously not the Jr year Kemba)
AJ Price - Journeyman in NBA
Thabeet - Huge NBA bust
Adrien - Journeyman in NBA
Dyson - Cup of coffee in NBA

2006 - 5 guys played in the NBA
Rudy Gay - Very successful NBA career, just a notch below an All Star in his prime.
Hilton Armstrong - Journeyman NBA career
Josh Boone - NBA Bust
Marcus Williams - NBA Bust
Fr. Jeff Adrien - see above

Why don't you guys take this argument to a new thread so that everyone coming on here to read about our newest commit doesn't have to wade through 6 pages of back and forth about Jerome Dyson. Just a suggestion...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why don't you guys take this argument to a new thread so that everyone coming on here to read about our newest commit doesn't have to wade through 6 pages of back and forth about Jerome Dyson. Just a suggestion...
Why don't you start your own board? That was you can be sure everyone meets your exacting standards.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
From "just a suggestion" to "your exacting standards" in one post. Nice.
And I just came here to suggest that Williams's age can be measured in Krauser Units.

Or, taken to the ultimate extreme, Linehan Units. Calhoun vowed he would attend Linehan's graduation ceremony.

C

Chief00

So you're gonna just list the 04 players' resumes. How about the 09 players??? They were some of the best UConn players of all time and AJ Price might be the most underrated UConn player. And oh btw that team had some kid named Kemba Walker maybe you've heard of him. Dyson struggled his senior year being the leader and number one option but was perfect for that 09 team (best perimeter defender, second best 3 point shooter, top 3 or 4 scoring option, etc). With Dyson I think UConn beats Pitt, wins the BE Championships (reg season and tourney) and plays Carolina for the NC with a chance to become the greatest UConn team ever. For the record, I think the 04 team is the most talented team and it's my favorite team but the 09 team with Dyson was right there.

And Chief I didn't know you're on a first name basis with Calhoun LOL!!!

I agree with Calhoun, the 2004 team was by far the most talented. They beat most teams by large margins and had a stable of NBA draft picks on the bench.
I would make the argument that with Dyson we would not have made the Final 4. Stanley did not play outstanding until Jerome was sidelined, I will leave it at that. Jerome would have had to take his shots and commit turnovers by forcing things. Respectfulky, why you think a guy who never won an NCAA tournament game at UConn would have been the difference in the F4 is further confirmation of your basketball knowledge.

Reaction Score
As opposed to baseless speculation over a guy nobody knows anything about?

How much did you know about Donny Marshall?

Oooh. We need to contrast 2004 to 2009 ...meaning we have a divide in generations as well as contrasting capacity to evaluate based on video and public information. A inefficient market. That's the rabbit hole we chase on this board.

The value of Chillious and Killings will be known in the 2018 class. Soon enough. Cobb, Carlton, Onuorah need to be tougher interior (on a first priority) than the departed Brimah, Facey, Enoch and Durham. And Willians is a bonus who might blossom.

This is the most interesting and demanding coming year for UConn MBB since ... well we have a lot of them. But we seemingly solved and met all those other challenges.

C

Chief00

Ha, touchè. Personally, I don't read that as a cold call, but I can see how some people would. Seems like he had been speaking with UConn, just not Kevin Ollie and wasn't expecting the phone call from him.
Exactly what happened.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How much did you know about Donny Marshall?

Oooh. We need to contrast 2004 to 2009 ...meaning we have a divide in generations as well as contrasting capacity to evaluate based on video and public information. A inefficient market. That's the rabbit hole we chase on this board.

The value of Chillious and Killings will be known in the 2018 class. Soon enough. Cobb, Carlton, Onuorah need to be tougher interior (on a first priority) than the departed Brimah, Facey, Enoch and Durham. And Willians is a bonus who might blossom.

This is the most interesting and demanding coming year for UConn MBB since ... well we have a lot of them. But we seemingly solved and met all those other challenges.

Not much, but I was only around 5 when he came to UConn.

I don't know anything about this kid, but I hope he'll be ok. 16 pages of speculation based on YouTube videos have never been my thing, not an indictment on the kid.

Reaction Score
FWIW, the comment was based on a body of work, not one post,

Your body of work leaves a lot to be desired, so you're the last one who should be commenting on this topic. Occasionally people want to click on a thread and read about the topic of said thread. This poor recruit could come on here lurking and find 12 posts about him and 10 pages of posts about the 2004 and 2009 teams...kinda ridiculous regardless of whether you "like" my body of work or not

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Respectfulky, why you think a guy who never won an NCAA tournament game at UConn would have been the difference in the F4 is further confirmation of your basketball knowledge.
I know what you are saying, Chief. But in that 2009 season, Dyson was playing team ball. The year before and the year after, he was more intent on getting his. But that year his loss really did make a huge difference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't think anyone's asked, so has a player from Alaska ever played for our UConn Huskies?
For us? Well I guess it depends how broadly you define that but I think Trajan Langdon's last two possessions contributed mightily to our '99 championship. (Or course Ricky Moore had a role as well.)

Reaction Score
For us? Well I guess it depends how broadly you define that but I think Trajan Langdon's last two possessions contributed mightily to our '99 championship. (Or course Ricky Moore had a role as well.)

No, I don't think so, but Ray Allen thought he was coming to Alaska the first time he heard from "UCONN"...

C

Chief00

I am so sick and tired of the narrative here that Dyson never won an NCAA game in four years. He was on a team that went to the Final Four. Just because he was injured doesn't mean what, we would have lost in the first round game if he had been available to play in it? That's asinine. We would have beaten four opponents worse than we did if he had played in those games. He was on a team that won four NCAA games in one season, and very likely would have won a fifth if he had played in the Michigan State game. It wasn't his fault he got injured and couldn't play in those games.
The argument here was that they would have beaten MSU if Jerome played - while I understand an injuried guy is part of the team rah, rah - I just pointed out there was no NCAA play in the other 3 years by Jerome that supported that conclusion - and in fact his senior year ended with 9 turnovers in the South FL game when his game should have been played at a high maturity level.

Reaction Score
This thread took a turn into the realm of incredibly stupid. I'll play along for one post, we were the best team in the country in 2009 before Dyson got hurt. After that we were still really good but it meant Dyson was gone for the season and Austrie inserted into the starting lineup. If you think Austrie is as good a basketball player as Dyson or better for that team then you are an idiot. Now let's bring this back to Kwintin Williams.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
With Jerome Dyson, we beat Michigan State and move on into the final game where we win by 32 points.

We also beat Syracuse in regulation and there is no six-overtime game.

With Jerome...23-1.

Without Jerome...8-4. (Or something like that.)

Reaction Score
I can't believe this kid is 23, turning 24 before the season starts. Is that what we're going with right now? Someone walk me through this timetable... here's what I've got so far:

- He was originally part of the class of 2014 leaving high school.
- He did a prep school year and was now part of the class of 2015.
- He goes to JUCO for one season
- Sits out one year to get grades up

Was he already 20 years old when he left high school the first time in AK?

C

Chief00

I know what you are saying, Chief. But in that 2009 season, Dyson was playing team ball. The year before and the year after, he was more intent on getting his. But that year his loss really did make a huge difference.
At this point the Stanley/Jerome dynamic is water over the dam. But, I will always believe it was no coincidence Stanley played better once Jerome went down. It wasn't just minutes or Jim having to play him - its more complicated.

Reaction Score
I can't believe this kid is 23, turning 24 before the season starts. Is that what we're going with right now? Someone walk me through this timetable... here's what I've got so far:

He is 22, will turn 23 at the end of next month. Your post is stupid.

C

Chief00

With Jerome Dyson, we beat Michigan State and move on into the final game where we win by 32 points.

We also beat Syracuse in regulation and there is no six-overtime game.

With Jerome...23-1.

Without Jerome...8-4. (Or something like that.)

I agree on the court, AJ was able to keep some of Jerome's bad habits in check and that's why Jerome did better with AJ than without him. Without AJ keeping JD under control - JD did not have a good relative track record - Would AJ been able to do that under the bright lights when Jerome wanted to be the star, we will never know.

Reaction Score
I agree with Calhoun, the 2004 team was by far the most talented. They beat most teams by large margins and had a stable of NBA draft picks on the bench.
I would make the argument that with Dyson we would not have made the Final 4. Stanley did not play outstanding until Jerome was sidelined, I will leave it at that. Jerome would have had to take his shots and commit turnovers by forcing things. Respectfulky, why you think a guy who never won an NCAA tournament game at UConn would have been the difference in the F4 is further confirmation of your basketball knowledge.

That team had one loss on the year with Dyson Chief and absolutely smoked Louisville in Louisville in one of the greatest regular season games ever played by a UConn team. Bottomline they were a better team with Dyson the proof is in the record.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Why do you care how old he is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc