Kwintin Williams Commits to UConn! | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Kwintin Williams Commits to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It could be better or worse for us depending on if you think him being 23 is a good thing.

Historically we've always complained that some teams (Pitt, Cincy, SMU) are like men playing against our boys. Are we now complaining because we have a man playing against boys? Seems like this would be an advantage for us, not a disadvantage.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember Eddie Williams? 25 when he started I believe. No issues.
I thought about Eddie as soon as the age thing came up. He was a good player and a solid Husky.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Historically we've always complained that some teams (Pitt, Cincy, SMU) are like men playing against our boys. Are we now complaining because we have a man playing against boys? Seems like this would be an advantage for us, not a disadvantage.

Could you imagine if he stays 3 years and ages in reverse Pitt years? He'd be older than Ollie when he graduates.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The argument here was that they would have beaten MSU if Jerome played - while I understand an injuried guy is part of the team rah, rah - I just pointed out there was no NCAA play in the other 3 years by Jerome that supported that conclusion - and in fact his senior year ended with 9 turnovers in the South FL game when his game should have been played at a high maturity level.

Dyson scored 14 points vs. San Diego in the first round NCAA game during his sophomore year, which was a little above his 12.5 ppg scoring average for the entire season. We lost that game by one point in OT. It was clearly a team loss, and certainly not a game where you could point to Dyson as the primary reason for the L. Then you cherry pick one bad game vs USF (actually, it was against St. John's in the BET) a season later, in which he had nine turnovers, as a predictor of how he would have played against Michigan State a year before that? That also wasn't the last game of his career, as he played in two NIT games afterward, a win over Northeastern in which he was the game high scorer with 18 points, and a loss to VA Tech on the road, in which he scored 15 points. By your logic, I could cherry pick his career high 32 point performance vs. No. 1 Texas during his senior year as the reason he would have led us to the national championship in 2009. That's just as dumb as your logic.

In three postseason tournament games, 1 NCAA and 2 NIT, the guy averaged almost 16 ppg, which was slightly more than his overall career average at UConn of 14.4 ppg. I think you need to look elsewhere for evidence that he wouldn't likely have contributed vs. Michigan State.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember Eddie Williams? 25 when he started I believe. No issues.

Am I remembering wrong, or didn't Williams come into the program after finished a stint in the air force?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Am I remembering wrong, or didn't Williams come into the program after finished a stint in the air force?
You are correct, sir. Hence the advanced age. But as good a guy as he was, his recruitment was't exactly a sign of a healthy program.

Reaction Score
I only mentioned his age because I thought it was relevant and we would want to know as much about our new recruit as possible. Wouldn't have posted it if I thought it would create this much controversy.

Anyways I view it as a good thing, nice having some grown men on the team. If he was 40 I could see the concern but we are getting a physically grown player who can jump out of the gym and getting him extremely late in the process. It should only he looked at as a positive.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I can't believe this kid is 23, turning 24 before the season starts. Is that what we're going with right now? Someone walk me through this timetable... here's what I've got so far:

- He was originally part of the class of 2014 leaving high school.
- He did a prep school year and was now part of the class of 2015.
- He goes to JUCO for one season
- Sits out one year to get grades up

Was he already 20 years old when he left high school the first time in AK?

We're you worried about Henefeld's age?

Reaction Score
I agree on the court, AJ was able to keep some of Jerome's bad habits in check and that's why Jerome did better with AJ than without him. Without AJ keeping JD under control - JD did not have a good relative track record - Would AJ been able to do that under the bright lights when Jerome wanted to be the star, we will never know.
You understand that the big difference in that game was the lack of a UConn bench. When we had to sit guys with fouls the talent dropped off. I believe even Beverly saw minutes in that game . One more quality player and certainly Dyson was a quality player might have swung the balance in our favor.
As long as Dyson subjected himself to Prices leadership which he had done all year he was a terrific asset. His problem especially his disappointing senior year was a conflict for leadership between
he an Kemba. He saw himself in a role he lacked the skill set for.
Jerome was not the guy you want making key decisions especially at crunch time.

Reaction Score
I only mentioned his age because I thought it was relevant and we would want to know as much about our new recruit as possible. Wouldn't have posted it if I thought it would create this much controversy.

Anyways I view it as a good thing, nice having some grown men on the team. If he was 40 I could see the concern but we are getting a physically grown player who can jump out of the gym and getting him extremely late in the process. It should only he looked at as a positive.

No doubt the fact he's older can only be a positive in my opinion. He's physically more mature and more life experienced.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
He's going to be a hit with the freshmen girls on campus. Girls love older guys and they'll have one in their own grade. Win-win.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Welcome again to the Dog Pound, Kwintin!!! :cool:

I'm still recovering from the fact that somebody had the gall to call @huskymedic a nitwit. The dude brings more value to each single Boneyard sports forum than most everyone else brings combined. Unbelievable...

Reaction Score
Welcome again to the Dog Pound, Kwintin!!! :cool:

I'm still recovering from the fact that somebody had the gall to call @huskymedic a nitwit. The dude brings more value to each single Boneyard sports forum than most everyone else brings combined. Unbelievable...

You ought to hear what my wife calls me after 32 years... no harm, no foul.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I tried just to put this thread out of its misery , looks like the BY is already autocorrecting to Kwintin
Doesn't work that way.
I tried it with Sid Wilson and the guy who chose Auburn (I don't even remember his name, but I thought of Bruce Pearl when I saw the Huskies assembled for a cookout).
If a recruit doesn't chose UConn, then guys want to post about how things suck.
And here, when the recruit chooses UConn, some want to keep litigating the matter of Dyson.
People are determined to get their money's worth here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom