KML opinion piece | The Boneyard

KML opinion piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, as touchy as this issue may be, it is a real concern. In fact, that was the first thing that I noticed during UConn's struggles vs. Stanford last week - KML's lack of speed because of her added bulk enabled Stanford's guards to blow past her either during single coverage or in pick and roll situations and. As far as Karlie SAMUELSON being able to literally hogtie KML on the offensive end, I thought that Geno should have made a little bit of adjustment and posted her up to take advantage of her bulk advantage over Karlie S.

But I think this issue can be simply addressed by having their trainers supervise her nutritional intake and alter her conditioning program.

Reaction Score
"I’m sure UConn women’s fans, perpetually maternal and paternal, will jump to Mosqueda-Lewis’ defense and point to my own midriff, suggesting that since I can pinch more than an inch, I’m tossing boulders at glass houses. The difference: I don’t have teammates relying on my improved athletic ability to accomplish their ultimate goal."

First, keeping fit shouldn't be based on a need for external validation. Lewis may owe it to herself to have a healthy body but people who change their bodies to gain acceptance from others have bigger issues than their BMI. Second, I find it sad that Mike feels no responsibilities to his marriage, which he feels is of lesser importance than the responsibilities a player has to an amateur basketball team. Too bad, because if he felt that his health is important to his marriage he could help us understand why people like he and Lewis have difficulty staying in better shape.

Reaction Score
Well, as touchy as this issue may be, it is a real concern. In fact, that was the first thing that I noticed during UConn's struggles vs. Stanford last week - KML's lack of speed because of her added bulk enabled Stanford's guards to blow past her either during single coverage or in pick and roll situations and. As far as Karlie SAMUELSON being able to literally hogtie KML on the offensive end, I thought that Geno should have made a little bit of adjustment and posted her up to take advantage of her bulk advantage over Karlie S.

But I think this issue can be simply addressed by having their trainers supervise her nutritional intake and alter her conditioning program.

Reaction Score
DiMauro rattling the fan's cages again. It gets him attention.

But what he says is accurate. As noted above, it really affects her defense. It also affects her ability to get open against good man-to-man defense.

Reaction Score
Touchy subject ? Mike D is a jerk and so are you and anyone that feels a need to talk about somebody's physical makeup. If you're such a fan watch last years semi and final game and watch the fat out of condition \Kaleena and how many moinutes she played and who she guarded. Then just maybe you'll change your mind. Some people have a certain body type and that's it.Yes, I feel the need to protect one of my girls, ladies, women.

Reaction Score

She supposedly worked on her conditioning and diet all summer with the strength coach. Compare her summer results with Stef's of 2 years ago!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
KML was heroic in last year's NCAAs. That being said, after all the press blather about her off season efforts with UConn staff I was shocked by her physique in the return to school. Wonder if she has some endocrinal/ metabolic issues blocking progress, but I do not think anything unfair was said in this article.

Reaction Score
KML was heroic in last year's NCAAs. That being said, after all the press blather about her off season efforts with UConn staff I was shocked by her physique in the return to school. Wonder if she has some endocrinal/ metabolic issues blocking progress, but I do not think anything unfair was said in this article.
So I guess we disagree

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So I guess we disagree

I don't think we do. KML's body mass index may be better than it was last March, but I doubt it. Phil I love this woman Husky of ours and genuinely meant what I said about her NCAA role and in my opinion she should have had the final four MVP award. Believe her to be an extremely intelligent B'ball player and talent. But, something is amiss and the trajectory does not bode well for her basketball life post UConn.

We only disagree if you think KLM's growing body mass is good for her game. So, do you not recognize it or do you recognize it and do not see it as an issue, and if not, why not?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would help to know what her BMI really is. She has a stocky frame so just maybe she has more muscle than fat. Losing weight could actually harm her conditioning if she has to lose muscle mass to do so. Also, many people thin persons have slow reflexes and foot speed, so no guarantee that losing weight will make her faster.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Mike is stirring the pot which is something he seems to specialize in. Ever notice how he is not one of the Horde who regularly attends practices, games, etc.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mike is stirring the pot which is something he seems to specialize in. Ever notice how he is not one of the Horde who regularly attends practices, games, etc.

Yeah, that is Mike. I am no Mike fan. His whole race and attendance thing that he brings out every couple of seasons, etc. But I feel he is asking a fair question here. Unkind to KML as it is, because weight issues are an absolute b*t*h gender notwithstanding, but particularly for females in the media's eye. Look, it may be that she and the UConn staff have a program in progress, and she is stronger, with more muscle mass, and her BMI is actually trending positively, but we don't see it yet. Frankly, I doubt it, and it puzzles me.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
She supposedly worked on her conditioning and diet all summer with the strength coach. Compare her summer results with Stef's of 2 years ago!

you are talking two different body types.

And because some of you don't get it, I will tell my story yet again.

My two sisters favored my mother's side of the family - small boned and petite. I, however favored my father's side of the family which was a heavier build and short wasted.

The entire time I was growing up I was compared to my sisters and the refrain was, "why can't you be thin like your sisters?" I was barely 5' tall in high school and I was a curvy size 6. My perception of myself was that of a fat girl even though now I look at the pictures and realize that I was anything but. To make it worse, it was hard finding clothes that fit properly because I had a tiny waste...because I was so fat...NOT!

Enough is enough.

This topic has been hashed and re-hashed, the question has been asked and answered. DiMauro as someone said above likes to stir things up with these little "opinion" pieces. And that is all they are.

Kaleena has a bad game, and folks are fighting to get in line to discuss her "problems"

Kaleena has a good game, no one says boo.

Gee whiz!!!

Reaction Score
I did not read the article and I don't know the reason, but didn't Geno say a few days ago that KML has lost a step ?

Yes he said she had lost a step. Unfortunately, the teams we play are not going to worry about the BYers when they blow past her on the way to the basket. Hopefully Geno will worry about how to best utilize KML this year and not dream about how she played in last year's tournament games.

Reaction Score
I think this is an issue that is best resolved by the team trainer and/or physician. They are far more qualified to assess KLM's weight and conditioning than the media and BY. Most of this thread is nonsense.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Yes he said she had lost a step. Unfortunately, the teams we play are not going to worry about the BYers when they blow past her on the way to the basket. Hopefully Geno will worry about how to best utilize KML this year and not dream about how she played in last year's tournament games.

and that's interesting because at the beginning of the season he was saying that she was in the best shape she has ever been.

How can it be both ways? (Rhetorical question, PLEASE don't think that you have to answer this)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I think this is an issue that is best resolved by the team trainer and/or physician. They are far more qualified to assess KLM's weight and conditioning than the media and BY. Most of this thread is nonsense.

+1

Reaction Score
In the past these discussions on players was considered inappropriate.
I have no comments to offer on the specific KML issue but, regarding what's appropriate, I'm glad we're not still in the past. I think this particular topic is a highly relevant basketball issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom