KML opinion piece | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KML opinion piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have no comments to offer on the specific KML issue but, regarding what's appropriate, I'm glad we're not still in the past. I think this particular topic is a highly relevant basketball issue.
You may indeed think that but that does not mean it will change or that Kaleena is capable of changing her body type. In the photo of her family it was clear they shared a common body type. Therefore relevant to basketball or not it is a useless discussion because nothing about it is likely to change.

I think there should be more insight and understanding of basketball by many posters but I am unlikely to find that changing, as well.

Reaction Score
You may indeed think that but that does not mean it will change or that Kaleena is capable of changing her body type. In the photo of her family it was clear they shared a common body type. Therefore relevant to basketball or not it is a useless discussion because nothing about it is likely to change.

I think there should be more insight and understanding of basketball by many posters but I am unlikely to find that changing, as well.
Without any comment on Kaleena's body or whether it will/will not or can/cannot change, I'm just saying I think it's appropriate that we be allowed to talk about it here, as it relates to basketball. If there were too much we couldn't talk about, then we would probably just find somewhere else to talk.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First - I have no use for DeMuro and his options. He likes the attention he gets when he stirs the pot - which he is doing now.

Second, having seen K in person at the exhibition game in Hartford, she has slimmed down some. But as RadyLady points out, that is her body type and its not going to change.

She had a very bad game. She may have been coming down with the flu when she played. But Geno and K will never use that as an excuse. K will be fine.

I think all this teeth grinding after the Stanford loss has gotten out of hand. Enough is enough. Let's play ball and leave the coaching to Geno and company. And yes - I know - I run the risk of being duly chastised for saying so.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm thinking she was a step slow because she was coming down with something. Can we leave it at that? Gahhhh.

I hope we can leave it at that. Nothing will please me more. Than what: having KLM perform on both ends of the court. I can not remember a starter for 3/4 years being replaced, but if KML has truly "lost a step" (Geno's words), unless she performs at a very high level in other areas - point production, rebounds - then maybe someone else will be a better starter on this team.

We can be fans and rabid fans and still have a rational discussion about the pluses and minuses of our team as they progress through the year. At least, we use to have these discussions on the Boneyard and have a lot of fun with it. While I realize that the last two years have not provided a lot of opportunity for anything more than well deserved cheer leading, it is important to be more than boo rah fans. To keep the Boneyard relevant, we must be intelligent, analytical basketball fans, Sometimes that means tough love for our Huskies.

Reaction Score
The whole KML controversy, because of one game where she wasn't at the top of her game,
reminds me of the reaction to the Patriots when they lost to Kansas City in week 4 and were vilified by the press and certain fans. Since then they have won every game and have gone from also rans to the best in the NFL. KML will , without question, be there when the NC is on the line.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I mean...UConn has played three games. In the first, KML tied a UConn record for most 3s made in a game. In the second she played lousy. In the third she didn't play because she has the flu. I know this is a discussion board and believe me, I love discussing all things UConn, I just think this topic needs to die.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
First - I have no use for DeMuro and his options. He likes the attention he gets when he stirs the pot - which he is doing now.

Second, having seen K in person at the exhibition game in Hartford, she has slimmed down some. But as RadyLady points out, that is her body type and its not going to change.

She had a very bad game. She may have been coming down with the flu when she played. But Geno and K will never use that as an excuse. K will be fine.

I think all this teeth grinding after the Stanford loss has gotten out of hand. Enough is enough. Let's play ball and leave the coaching to Geno and company. And yes - I know - I run the risk of being duly chastised for saying so.

not from me. maybe from some of the armchair coaches, perhaps....

Reaction Score
She supposedly worked on her conditioning and diet all summer with the strength coach. Compare her summer results with Stef's of 2 years ago!
So, where was all of this criticism when she was knocking down ten 3 pointers in a game. She had a bad game. So what? KML has battled injuries, sickness and endless criticism, and she has overcome them all. I believe that she will rise to the occasion again, then everybody will again jump on the KML express.
Lastly, I think people should be ashamed of themselves for speaking so viciously about such a beautiful young lady, who gave her all in contributing to our championship victories. Say what you will about Stef and Bria and I'll agree wholeheartedly, but KML did her thing in those Championships also.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I hope we can leave it at that. Nothing will please me more. Than what: having KLM perform on both ends of the court. I can not remember a starter for 3/4 years being replaced, but if KML has truly "lost a step" (Geno's words), unless she performs at a very high level in other areas - point production, rebounds - then maybe someone else will be a better starter on this team.

We can be fans and rabid fans and still have a rational discussion about the pluses and minuses of our team as they progress through the year. At least, we use to have these discussions on the Boneyard and have a lot of fun with it. While I realize that the last two years have not provided a lot of opportunity for anything more than well deserved cheer leading, it is important to be more than boo rah fans. To keep the Boneyard relevant, we must be intelligent, analytical basketball fans, Sometimes that means tough love for our Huskies.
I don't remember there being threads like this in the past. Most got shut down quickly some even cost posters like BBall his privileges because of his constant derision of Maria Conlon.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The whole KML controversy, because of one game where she wasn't at the top of her game,
reminds me of the reaction to the Patriots when they lost to Kansas City in week 4 and were vilified by the press and certain fans. Since then they have won every game and have gone from also rans to the best in the NFL. KML will , without question, be there when the NC is on the line.

so with the game also goes the fans. It is an interesting exercise to look through the more inflammatory threads especially after this loss and take a look to see who is commenting and in what vein, and then look as see what they were saying after the first two exhibition games.

Then save the data, and look again after each win. I bet it would be an interesting data set for comparison

Reaction Score
Icebear said:
I don't remember there being threads like this in the past. Most got shut down quickly some even cost posters like BBall his privileges because of his constant derision of Maria Conlon.

That is my recollection as well, Ice.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
After reading the piece, seeing the way he makes points and taking in his tone, I am sure that if you're standing next to Mike DiMauro you would be overcome by an atmosphere saturated with vinegar and water.

Reaction Score
After reading the piece, seeing the way he makes points and taking in his tone, I am sure that if you're standing next to Mike DiMauro you would be overcome by an atmosphere saturated with vinegar and water.
Hilarious

Reaction Score
Hilarious

Reaction Score
Yeah and MoJett is too small, and Stewies arms are too long and Morgan is too tough and Stokes is to ripped and KML is too whatever...
It's a team. five players equals ten if played right. Strengths overlap. Knowing your weakness is the first step towards greatness.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
"I’m sure UConn women’s fans, perpetually maternal and paternal, will jump to Mosqueda-Lewis’ defense and point to my own midriff, suggesting that since I can pinch more than an inch, I’m tossing boulders at glass houses. The difference: I don’t have teammates relying on my improved athletic ability to accomplish their ultimate goal."
Quite the cheap shot artist. The faux self-depricating "midriff" comment is a lame attempt to marginalize fan support/defense of Kaleena. Since DeMuro has chosen to make things personal, maybe he should consider spending more time working on reducing his stutter because his colleagues on Beyond The Beat are "relying" on his "improved" linguistic "ability", and less time attacking a player that he's not worthy of carrying her sports bra for.

As an aside, I have never heard a man refer to his stomach as his "midriff" before - just saying.

JS

Reaction Score
1. There have been threads addressing whether a particular player seems in shape or not, is a certain body type, etc. People commented in this regard (respectfully) on Kara Wolters, DT (as a high schooler if not in college), Kaili MacLaren, even Stef.

2. "Most" such threads weren't shut down. It all depends on the tone, of course. We have a rule against trashing players.

3. Bball did not lose his posting privileges. After months, maybe years of harping on one player, he was cordially invited to address anything at all in the world of women's basketball other than Maria Conlon. He left voluntarily rather than comply with that restriction.

4. It was just as well from his point of view. His main thesis (that Maria would never play significant minutes; amended to significant minutes in big games) was by that time in tatters, and he'd dwelt on it so long he had no other persona.

5. This thread results from a published opinion piece. As such, it has a certain presumption of being legitimate fodder for discussion, even if one can't stand DiMauro -- viewing him, for example, as someone who jumps up and down yelling "Look at me! Look at me! "

6. Speaking of which, if there's one thing I can't stand it's a poster, or columnist, who habitually prefaces his "controversial" remarks by saying (in any number of ways) "I know this won't be popular, but . . ." If you're gonna say it, just say it already, and stop patting yourself on the back for your own outspoken bravery.

Reaction Score
Moriah is supposed to be a great defender, and both Stanford guards were blowing by her all night long, has she lost a step, or gotten out of shape? This discussion needs to end.

Reaction Score
Kml is a good player..no a great player, but she could be even better than great if she were to run faster or jump just a tad higher or defender quick players easier. If anyone believes that her weight doesnt affect her in any way need to take their rose tinted glasses off. This isnt a discussion about wether kml is a good or bad person its simply about basketball ability. Here let me try to give you an example. If a player weighed 600 pounds wouldn't that make them slower or not be able to runas long? An extreme example for sure but sometimes extreme examples are needed to make people understand. The more you weigh the worse you're going to play so at 500 pounds overweight it would be completely obvious how much worse she would play than someone at ideal weight. Now kml isnt 500 lbs overweight [mod edit] . How much does it effect her that she isnt at ideal weight? maybe she can run the floor a 10th of a second faster maybe she can jump one inch higher maybe she can defend quicker guards just little bit better. Someone to say that her weight has zero effect on her stats and defending ability are blatantly lying to themselves. I'll say it again KML Great player, but could she have been one of the best ever or at least better than she is now? Hell yea

Last edited by a moderator:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
SMH

[mod edit]

I am going to self edit and spare JS the stroke of his pen...

Reaction Score
I myself feel that KML hasn't yet optimized her physical conditioning, but that's hyperbolic to the point of being absurd.

[mod edit]

Her ideal weight won't be hugely lower than her current weight; she doesn't have a Bria Hartley body type. It's more a question of increasing or maintaining her current lean muscle weight, while reducing the total weight by a more modest amount. Her body type suggests that this wouldn't be easy to accomplish; I suspect that she'd have to employ more nutritional and exercise discipline than most professional-level basketball players. An athlete cannot simply drop most of their calories to lose weight; they need that energy to play the game. But I maintain it can be done.

If one wants a picture of what a peak condition KML might look like, don't think Bria Hartley. Think Odyssey Sims, with a few extra inches of height. She would be powerfully built, rather than skinny. Yet with more foot speed than she currently has. Most importantly of all, the reduced stress on her joints would prolong the length of her career.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
SMH

I am going to self edit and spare JS the stroke of his pen...

dangelo-barksdale.gif

that was my exact reaction. [mod edit]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members