KML opinion piece | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KML opinion piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In the past these discussions on players was considered inappropriate.
No, this is actually a topic that has been discussed from time to time. Threads do get locked when the tone turns leering or otherwise inappropriate.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the reason, KML is slower than she was, and has been so for long enough that it's likely to not improve. I'd like to see her get into the post on offense more when she isn't getting free for the 3, and I think she did that with great effectiveness at times last year. No issues there as Stewie and Tuck can both play on the perimeter. But there could be defensive problems against teams playing small lineups.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thanks, Nan, JS had already clarified it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
JSB60 said:
Regardless of the reason, KML is slower than she was, and has been so for long enough that it's likely to not improve. I'd like to see her get into the post on offense more when she isn't getting free for the 3, and I think she did that with great effectiveness at times last year. No issues there as Stewie and Tuck can both play on the perimeter. But there could be defensive problems against teams playing small lineups.

Put arguably the best three point shooter in the paint in lieu of Morgan Tuck who does shoot the three but not as consistently as Kaleena and who is a beast in the paint... Okay well maybe from time to time but not permanently. Kaleena is almost always money from the 3

Reaction Score
When healthy, KML is a proven commodity......period!
Next year's #1 draft pick...that hasn't changed.

As far as teams guarding her etc. Geno will figure it out.

Reaction Score
I saw her in Bridgeport and I thought she looked fine. The issue, IMO anyway, is that defense was never the strongest part of her game. However in years past she had help from Bria and Stef was usually waiting, along with Stewie to clean up mistakes. That help is not there now and it's a big reason why Kia starts going forward. Quick Lateral movement by Bria is far superior to Soniya.

Reaction Score
Since I started the thread, I decided to put a bit of my opinion in.

First, I don't know if KML is slower than last year. As we found out at Stanford, last year's personnel and team chemistry made up for any flaws. She was never considered quick and we shall have to see this year more about how she is playing. She certainly has been able to play a lot of minutes.

I also agree that she has a body type that will never allow her to look svelte. But she can still be more power than pudge - and I think she is. Even if there would be an advantage to her losing some weight, I doubt that there will be a substantial difference this season if working with a trainer etc over the summer created her current physique.

In the exhibition games I thought she was stepping up and becoming more of a leader. I hope she can get past that one game and all the doubters and concentrate on playing her best and helping her team.

Reaction Score
If KML is indeed in the best shape of her life, and stronger than ever, she needs to utilize that strength and take her defender down to the low post once in a while, instead of camping out by the 3 point line. After a while, when the defender knows that 3 point shots are all that she is looking for, they will overplay that.

Reaction Score
So, where was all of this criticism when she was knocking down ten 3 pointers in a game.

I think many objective people always had the opinion that she was a step or two slow on defense and that she had trouble getting shots against a good defender. That is still true whether or not she is making a bunch of 3-pointers. She obviously is one of the best in the game in that area and also has some other strengths - but that doesn't mean there aren't weaknesses. It just depends on the opponent as to whether the weaknesses are an issue in a given game. Last year her struggles to get free against a good defender were often masked because the overall group of players was so good offensively and because Stef Dolson frequently forced double-teams and then kicked out for open shots.

Reaction Score
I don't know why I keep thinking of the old insult comeback regarding one person's weight and another being ugly and which is easier to change. But I won't go there...Oops...too late! I just did.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We can speculate on the reason why KML played so poorly against Stanford but whatever the reason there is no doubt that she was slow and appeared quite a bit heavier than she was at the start of the season last year. Stanford exploited that. Don't take my word for it - remove the NFB glasses and watch the game.

As for DiMauro - I'm probably his only fan here. The reason - he's not afraid to say what he thinks. Sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don't.

My favorite quote - "Auriemma acts as such because that's what he believes. What he was taught. And because of what he hates the most about women's sports: how everything has to be, in his words, "lovey dovey all the time." Sounds like Auriemma would be vilified were he to post on the BY.

For an athlete conditioning becomes relevant when it affects their performance. If that was the case in the Stanford game then KML owes it to her team to get in the best shape possible.

Reaction Score
Stanford exposed KML's physical inability to play effective man-to-man D when facing guards who have a good handle, and can drive hard and finish at the basket. The Stanford guards blew by her time, after time, after time. No one can deny that.

The Stanford guards also blew by Jefferson, Chung and Nurse. So why the hue and cry about KML? Because Jefferson, Chung and Nurse are physically capable of correcting their D against those type of guards. KML, in the shape that she's right now, isn't physically capable. Period.

To everyone who said that it was a one-game aberration, because "look how great KML was against UC-Davis".......Really?

Yes, against teams who don't have guards like Stanford, KML won't be a liability defensively on the court. She won't be an issue against 80% of the teams on the schedule. Otherwise, to keep KML on the court against Stanford type teams, UConn will either have to play zone or sit her.

Offensively, it's up to the coaching staff and KML to figure out a way for her to be effective against a D like Stanford threw at her. They'll figure that out, I don't see that being a problem.

But for anyone to say that her body/weight issues don't cause a problem for UConn defensively, when facing a Stanford type team, is just being in denial. Geno wants starters who can guard and play defensively. KML has never looked bigger, or slower, and that's going to be an issue going forward for her and UConn.

Reaction Score
I have no comments to offer on the specific KML issue but, regarding what's appropriate, I'm glad we're not still in the past. I think this particular topic is a highly relevant basketball issue.

How to do things with language. This can only be relevant if the team says it is a problem. Until then we are simply opening frames after frames trying t

Reaction Score
Next year's #1 draft pick...that hasn't changed.

As far as teams guarding her etc. Geno will figure it out.

Your second sentence I agree with. Your first is wishful thinking at this point. Professional teams want a player with great offensive skills at the #1 pick, KML hits that mark. But after Stanford, she was exposed as being a huge liability defensively. And that liability is directly attributed to her body conditioning. If the pros don't see her caring enough to get in BB shape, she won't be the #1 pick. It's up to her. Get in shape and the #1 pick can still be hers.

Reaction Score
Really
If KML is indeed in the best shape of her life, and stronger than ever, she needs to utilize that strength and take her defender down to the low post once in a while, instead of camping out by the 3 point line. After a while, when the defender knows that 3 point shots are all that she is looking for, they will overplay that.
Really ? Take the best 3 point shooter and put her in the post. Even when she is outside she is drawing the attention of the defense thus opening the lanes.
Your second sentence I agree with. Your first is wishful thinking at this point. Professional teams want a player with great offensive skills at the #1 pick, KML hits that mark. But after Stanford, she was exposed as being a huge liability defensively. And that liability is directly attributed to her body conditioning. If the pros don't see her caring enough to get in BB shape, she won't be the #1 pick. It's up to her. Get in shape and the #1 pick can still be hers.

Bull drip

Reaction Score
KML did appear to be a step slow last Monday, but not just in speed but her thinking. There's always the possibility it was not related to conditioning. Personally, I feel slow and sluggish at least one day a month. Comments......gentlemen?

JS

Reaction Score
I don't know why I keep thinking of the old insult comeback regarding one person's weight and another being ugly and which is easier to change. But I won't go there...Oops...too late! I just did.
You may be thinking of Churchill's insult to Lady Astor, next to whom he was seated at a banquet:

She: "Mr. Churchill, you are drunk!"

He: "Yes, Madame, but I shall be sober in the morning, while you will still be ugly."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would have never imagined that my first "mod edit" would be in a thread of this nature. I would have guessed it would have been in a thread about UNC... or something along those lines.

Sadly, I feel as if I didnt get my money's worth.

george-michael-snoopy-walk.gif

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I would have never imagined that my first "mod edit" would be in a thread of this nature. I would have guessed it would have been in a thread about UNC... or something along those lines.

Sadly, I feel as if I didnt get my money's worth.

View attachment 7686
Don't feel bad Triad.... You've joined an august group. :)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How to do things with language. This can only be relevant if the team says it is a problem. Until then we are simply opening frames after frames trying t

Geno said it was relevant and an issue. So it's clearly an issue.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
KML did appear to be a step slow last Monday, but not just in speed but her thinking. There's always the possibility it was not related to conditioning. Personally, I feel slow and sluggish at least one day a month. Comments.gentlemen?

Are you an elite athlete?

Reaction Score
Really

Really ? Take the best 3 point shooter and put her in the post. Even when she is outside she is drawing the attention of the defense thus opening the lanes.

Yes, really. Parking outside of the 3 point line worked out so well against Stanford. I'm not saying put her there the whole game, but if she had taken Carlie Samuelson down low a few times, Carlie would have backed off her a bit. If she poses even a threat to take the ball inside, it will help to free her up when she is outside. If she parks it outside and stays there, as a defender, I'm not in the least bit worried about anything but denying her space to shoot.
That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. You are, as always, entitled to yours. Bottom line, Geno's is the only one that counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99