Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 668 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
The Big East and ACC should be talking to each other right now about a merger. Merging the ACC into another league is the only possible way I see out of the GOR.

Can you a imagine a beginning of the year ACC/Big East Tourney. Northern Schools play their side at the Garden. Southern Schools play their side in NC. Championship game in DC.

Reaction Score
Maybe our reputation is already damaged and that is why we were left behind for inferior schools again. A lot of anti UConn hate during this latest round on social media.

Our football reputation has been damaged by bad coaching hires and years of rotten performance. The B12 selecting Utah, Arizona and Arizona State over UConn does not damage our reputation at all. Those were smart additions to the B12, they killed off a competitor.

Reaction Score
The risk for these schools would be enormous.

Their fans would fall off if they start to suck in the B12.

They have even bigger rivalries with one another than UConn does.

They'd lose Olympic Sports affiliation in the BE, and worst of all, they risk their own home markets as the BE backfills with replacements.

What happens if the BE adds George Washington to take G'town's spot? What happens if they add St. Joseph's or maybe make a run at Temple? What happens when Seton Hall becomes the main Catholic BE team out of NY?

Heck, the BE should've invited Boston U. or UMass long ago.
With with a chump change TV contract ? Follow the money trail and you'll find the truth. What did Yormark just do? He destroyed a competitor for his own gain and built up a conference (for FOX ). PS most real NE/BE rivalries (Hall and PC who cares) could stay together, while playing different midwest BB schools, just for more money .

Reaction Score
Then you risk everything including BE basketball to do what - maybe get into an ACC remnant league in 5 years?
Yes, because the basketball brand will never go away. It will always have a home. If conferences do start adding bball only do you think the Big 10 would not be all over it?

Reaction Score
The discourse on Twitter in adding OSU & UConn on Twitter shows a lot of sympathy for OSU. Why? Because they were in a power conference & so they have a big budget and a lot more sports than UConn. But UConns budget is $20m higher than OSUs & it has more sports. This underscores how little people know about UConn. Is it the size of the state ? I looked at the budgets of the Pac4 and was surprised to see they were heavily subsidized. Cal for instance subsidizes $31m if it’s AD and it just took on an additional 9 million in annual stadium debt service. Unlike most schools, Cal shows the debt on their budget. Good for them. But they are now in UConns position as are all the pac4

Absolutely. Here's the breakdown for varsity sports between the two institutions. Granted it's from Wikipedia, so edits are encouraged if incorrect but the tables were easy to C&P here.

UCONN
Men's sportsWomen's sports
BaseballBasketball
BasketballCross country
Cross country*Field hockey
FootballIce hockey
GolfLacrosse
Ice hockeyRowing
SoccerSoccer
Swimming & diving*Softball
Tennis*Swimming & diving
Track & field†Tennis
Track & field†
Volleyball
† – Track and field includes both indoor and outdoor.
* – Sports being dropped after the 2020-21 academic year.[

Women's Rowing was reinstated from what I heard based on a Title IX win....

OSU:
Men's sportsWomen's sports
BaseballBasketball
BasketballCross Country
FootballGolf
GolfGymnastics
RowingRowing
SoccerSoccer
WrestlingSoftball
Track & Field†
Volleyball
† – Track and field includes both indoor and outdoor.

Reaction Score
Maybe our reputation is already damaged and that is why we were left behind for inferior schools again. A lot of anti UConn hate during this latest round on social media.
I like it. Maybe it will lead to another natty.

Reaction Score
Actually this would be an interesting idea, since it could lead to a bigger TV contract on the BBall side and insulate both leagues a little from the doomsday scenario that is in part driving Yormark’s interest in UConn: the B10 and SEC leave and form their own league.

ACC would still need a football solution to keep the heavies, so as part of it they’d probably need to shove disproportionate revenue to the schools that earn the cash.
This would be an awesome outcome for UCONN.

The basketball schools paid at one rate. Maybe two tiers for football based on performance (say top 6) to appease Fl St, Clemson, Miami, UNC, etc. It could be the choice of the school on whether to focus on football or hoops. Returns old rivalries. If BY is correct about undervalued hoops this pretty much creates far and away the best hoops conference and totally blocks out the NE corridor to other conferences. Keep tourney in MSG. No exit fee.

B1G and SEC will always dominate football but ACC/BE would be far and away the best hoops conference while still putting out a solid football product.

Reaction Score
What exactly do you want the ACC commissioner to do?
Don't get mad or upset at me for saying this about UCONN football but I am from the West Coast. I know a ton about your basketball history and respect it immensely but I did not know out West here that UCONN had a football team. Never thought about it because I thought you were sort of like Gonzaga with no football program. Never seen your football team on tv on the west coast so maybe that was the reason. TSometimes the one name anyone mentions " in the wilderness out here" from your general area is Boston College all because of Doug Flutie winning the Heisman. Most people on the streets here see you all basketball 24-7. Just win in football will get you there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Could be.....I've been trying to explain this to BE or die Uconn crowd on twitter. What would it take for Fox with the Big 12's help (and even ESPN if they get some content ) to stop bidding on the Big East in the next media deal ? If Yormark gets the go ahead to offer 3 BE schools and Gonzaga say $10 Mil each for hoops ? It equals a kill shot. Are Nova, G-town and the Johnies gonna say no and end up in a PAC-12 situation or old Big East where the rest are scrambling around hoping for chump change, SMH!....we've this movie way to many times...and Yormark gets NYC and MSG by default, hmmm isn't that what he said he wants !

I think the offer number would have to be higher than 10 million because the perceived value of the next big east broadcast rights deal is approximately $8 million. Figure another 2 million in additional travel and the big 12 ends up being a net nothing.

Now @Fishy has stated that he believes the next deal will be less than the existing $4-4.5 million per school. If that perception is shared by the big east presidents then, yeah absolutely 10 million is enough to get the deal done.

But your point is correct, the Big East is vulnerable, should anyone decide they want to target schools in it, or should any media company decide that they want to cherry pick content out of it.

Reaction Score
We've seen this game before.

It is starts "Oregon State and UConn" and in the middle it becomes "Oregon State and Washington State" before finishing off "Oregon State, Washington State, Cal, and Stanford, with UConn looking in from the outside."
You've got it sort of right, except in the middle it becomes "Maybe Oregon State, maybe Washington State, but definitely UConn." At the end it is, "Oregon State, Washington State, and Oregon and Washington, and the remainder of the PAC, and UMass, Temple, Buffalo, North and South Dakota (both University of and State), all the Idahos, Nevadas, and New Mexicos, and EastConn, WestConn, U. of New Haven, Sacred Heart, Connecticut College, Trinity, the Coast Guard Academy, the team that won the intramural championship at Villanova, and New Canaan H.S. Sorry, UConn, but thank you for your interest in college sports.

Reaction Score
Don't get mad or upset at me for saying this about UCONN football but I am from the West Coast. I know a ton about your basketball history and respect it immensely but I did not know out West here that UCONN had a football team. Never thought about it because I thought you were sort of like Gonzaga with no football program. Never seen your football team on tv on the west coast so maybe that was the reason. TSometimes the one name anyone mentions " in the wilderness out here" from your general area is Boston College all because of Doug Flutie winning the Heisman. Most people on the streets here see you all basketball 24-7. Just win in football will get you there.
Maybe its because you are still sleeping when the games are on. Samething when those pacific time zone games start at night. Half the country is already in bed and can give 2 craps. Hence why the pac is gone.

Reaction Score
Because he was serious. He would have made billions plural on the deal.
Always felt Kraft is why we lost the Whalers. Rowland decided not to play ball with that scumbag Karamos since he thought he was getting the Pats. If he didn't think the Pats were coming he might have been willing to pony for a new arena. (Might not have been the case but seems like it)

Reaction Score
I think the offer number would have to be higher than 10 million because the perceived value of the next big east broadcast rights deal is approximately $8 million. Figure another 2 million in additional travel and the big 12 ends up being a net nothing.

Now @Fishy has stated that he believes the next deal will be less than the existing $4-4.5 million per school. If that perception is shared by the big east presidents then, yeah absolutely 10 million is enough to get the deal done.

But your point is correct, the Big East is vulnerable, should anyone decide they want to target schools in it, or should any media company decide that they want to cherry pick content out of it.

There is no way the deal will be less than the current offer. If it is it will just cost fox more as the BE teams get dissolved into larger conferences with higher payouts.

Reaction Score
The pac was never staying together. That was Oregon’s last second effort to get a better deal from the Big 10
True. They created a last bit of urgency to get their deal done.

Reaction Score

If Yormark is correct, basketball is undervalued. UConn is the most valuable BBall brand in the BE. The x-factor is our football and whether that makes us more attractive or less attractive if the BE starts getting poached.

CL82

Reaction Score
Don't get mad or upset at me for saying this about UCONN football but I am from the West Coast. I know a ton about your basketball history and respect it immensely but I did not know out West here that UCONN had a football team. Never thought about it because I thought you were sort of like Gonzaga with no football program. Never seen your football team on tv on the west coast so maybe that was the reason. TSometimes the one name anyone mentions " in the wilderness out here" from your general area is Boston College all because of Doug Flutie winning the Heisman. Most people on the streets here see you all basketball 24-7.
Well, I guess that's understandable since the vast majority of the East Coast pays little attention to the West Coast as well. Just an FYI. Connecticut has a broadcast deal for all its football home games with CBS Sports net. Granted, it isn't the equivalent of Notre Dame's deal with NBC, but it's still a nice recognition. Likewise back in BCS days Connecticut 12 big east football conference championships and went to the Fiesta Bowl, a BCS bowl. We have wins over many current P5 teams, including beating Notre Dame at home. We've beaten SEC teams, Big Ten teams, Big 12 teams and ACC teams.

So, there's definitely a history to the football program. Again, though, it's not surprising it isn't well-known on the West Coast.

CL82

Reaction Score
Interesting thought. I never heard Georgetown mentioned, but perhaps.
I have, for whatever that's worth.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Maybe he goes Memphis then? UConn should tell the big 12 to go f off and start working out some type of arrangement with the ACC. The big 12 layed out their long term plan. Make them regret it for not executing it.
Their long term plan has been the same for years 9as has the ACC's), remain standing long enough to still be around when the big boys are finished doing what they want and hope there's enough money left when that happens to continue.

CL82

Reaction Score
Part of this for me and maybe for others is to indulge in some speculation. But I always find you around my corner telling me how it is.

You saw the video. What do you think he is referring to. Not looking for facts just some pure speculation. If you only deal in facts this thread is not for you.
Lol, don't post things as a fact on a message board if you're overly sensitive about being corrected. Now, if you want to speculate that maybe that references basketball only deal, feel free. But those are two different things. Do you understand the difference?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The Big East and ACC should be talking to each other right now about a merger. Merging the ACC into another league is the only possible way I see out of the GOR.
The guy in my avatar did just that in 2020. That's what started the ball rolling on all of this.

Reaction Score
Duke went a decade plus averaging 1.5 wins a year. They were the epitome of football failure for so long that it took Cutliffe nearly a decade to begin shaking off the perception of football futility that still remains due in part to the anemic fan support that is still a byproduct of that era. Kansas will likely be going through something similar now. Perception changes slowly.

Reaction Score
I think the offer number would have to be higher than 10 million because the perceived value of the next big east broadcast rights deal is approximately $8 million. Now @Fishy has stated that he believes the next deal will be less than the existing $4-4.5 million per school.......or should any media company decide that they want to cherry pick content out of it.
Yep as we saw in the old Big East, when that PC loser Marrinato got played by turning down that $1 billion TV deal ($13 Mil each for BB & FB schools IIRC). Networks can easilly go into destroy mode and would rather overpay for a few priority schools, so they can destroy and lowball what's left. Who from the Big East would turn down a $10-15 mil paycheck, when the next Big East media contract is talking about streaming on Apple for $4-5 mil.... see the UCLA & USC / PAC 12 effect.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be so fast to trash Yormark. I don’t think he used UConn to leverage other schools to join. It was clear to me from the visits that he took and the language that he used in discussing his vision for the conference that he was all in on your school.

Convincing a group of presidents to add a Northeast School known for basketball to their primarily Midwest/Southwest “Football” conference was always going to be a big challenge. Sadly BY is probably 5+years ahead of his time in how he views monetizing basketball. I do think that many of these presidents will come to see this and regret it when it becomes more clear.

Raiding/killing The PAC as a competitor was always a real thing for the Big 12. Their membership truly viewed things as an us or them scenario. Taking the four corners was always going to happen if they could do it.

I firmly believe that BY still wants UConn in The Big 12. He wants into the NE badly and ASAP. UConn delivers this better and faster than what is available in a future raided ACC. With conferences already at 18 and growing, there will be a place for you. The school and AD are too good to be shut out.

He could take us this minute if what you say is true

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If they wanted UConn then they wouldn't need to seek out 17 and 18. They would have 17 and we would have the invite.
The problem is they haven’t identified 18 yet. They don’t want odd numbers. Taking a wait and see approach.

We would’ve been 14 if the zonas didn’t go. We would’ve been 16 if Utah didn’t go.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I know I saw this last night too but can’t find it now..is this confirmed from a legit source?

The Big 12 presidents also voted on Friday night to pre-approve expansion efforts to a 17th and 18th team by December 31, 2023.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom