Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 669 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be so fast to trash Yormark. I don’t think he used UConn to leverage other schools to join. It was clear to me from the visits that he took and the language that he used in discussing his vision for the conference that he was all in on your school.
The school and AD are too good to be shut out.
We’ve been a premier athletic and academic university for the last 15 years and we’ve been shut out at every single step. That’s why its infuriating. We are watching a bunch of schools who have accomplished 1% of what our university has get thrown life rafts as if they’ve earned it.

Reaction Score

The Big 12 presidents also voted on Friday night to pre-approve expansion efforts to a 17th and 18th team by December 31, 2023.
All that truly matters is if the networks preapproved expansion payments.

Reaction Score
My pount is simply that BY is forward thinking and moves with a purpose. The ACC schedule a meeting to discuss their options with respect to the Pac 12, while the Big 12 makes it move.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Yormark was dealing with a conference that had lost 2 bellwethers, a conference that panicked as it added 4 G5 schools, and so he had a lot of room to be aggressive.

If the ACC had added Colorado or Arizona St, you better believe that would've created problems with FSU and the like.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is no way the deal will be less than the current offer. If it is it will just cost fox more as the BE teams get dissolved into larger conferences with higher payouts.
Unless paying a few teams more can be funded by paying the rest of the teams nothing.

Reaction Score
Don't get mad or upset at me for saying this about UCONN football but I am from the West Coast. I know a ton about your basketball history and respect it immensely but I did not know out West here that UCONN had a football team. Never thought about it because I thought you were sort of like Gonzaga with no football program. Never seen your football team on tv on the west coast so maybe that was the reason. TSometimes the one name anyone mentions " in the wilderness out here" from your general area is Boston College all because of Doug Flutie winning the Heisman. Most people on the streets here see you all basketball 24-7. Just win in football will get you there.
But we feel the same way about you guys.

I see Oregon, Washington and USC / UCLA. Im not sure what school you follow, but I have not seen anyone else on my TV.

I'm also not sure how old you are but back when UConn was in a conference with an automatic bid and a TV deal, we were on TV regularly. Made the Fiesta Bowl.

I do appreciate there is a lack of knowledge about UConn. Weird perceptions too about the lack of market based on... Im guessing the small size of the state? Yet our state has more people in it than half the B12 states.

I saw Pac12 fans in agreement that life will be easier for UConn because it has a small athletic budget and because it has fewer good sports than the Pac12 remnants.

Yet UConn's athletic budget is $20m higher than Oregon State's and $15m higher than Wash St. It has many more sports. It was top 10 this year in baseball. Top 15 at points in hockey. It obviously wins men's and women's titles. It has won titles in field hockey; softball won the BE, etc.

If anything, this exercise emphasizes perhaps that it's not a good geographical or cultural fit--but we knew that.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score

The Big 12 presidents also voted on Friday night to pre-approve expansion efforts to a 17th and 18th team by December 31, 2023.
not too confident in this but BUT if we get shafted by oregon state and washington state, that's truly the most depressing thing ever

Reaction Score
Their long term plan has been the same for years 9as has the ACC's), remain standing long enough to still be around when the big boys are finished doing what they want and hope there's enough money left when that happens to continue.
This should be tacked onto the top of this entire thread. It would reduce the thread by half if people understood this and proceeded accordingly.

Reaction Score
Unless paying a few teams more can be funded by paying the rest of the teams nothing.
There is probably maybe 1 or 2 BE teams that would not find a home. Seton Hall and Butler. The rest will end up somewhere.

Reaction Score
The B12 really needs to stop right now because it is in grave danger of getting a crud deal in 2030.

You can't import ALL the dregs of the Pac12 and then expect a better deal than the Pac12 just got.

Well, at least, my brain doesn't work this way.

Reaction Score
Yes, because the basketball brand will never go away. It will always have a home. If conferences do start adding bball only do you think the Big 10 would not be all over it?
I don't like to base my moves on a lot of "ifs". To get really good at basketball, all the Big10 schools have to do is put more focus on it and focus pretty much boils down to hiring great coaches. I think basketball-only strategy and hopes are a waste of time to think about until it isn't.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I can't imagine the BE hoop schools leaving the conference unless the money is just absurd.

Aside from leaving a basketball centric league with their peers, you'd be making travel a disaster and moving all of your athletics away from your alumni bases and the cities you recruit new students in.

I'm not sure Villanova is ready to trade away games in NYC, DC, Jersey, and CT for Lubbock, Ames and the Little Apple. It just doesn't make sense for them.

Reaction Score
There is no way the deal will be less than the current offer. If it is it will just cost fox more as the BE teams get dissolved into larger conferences with higher payouts.
That’s not true at all. Why would any large conference add basketball only Big East schools and slice the pie more? Won’t happen.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I can't imagine the BE hoop schools leaving the conference unless the money is just absurd.

Aside from leaving a basketball centric league with their peers, you'd be making travel a disaster and moving all of your athletics away from your alumni bases and the cities you recruit new students in.

I'm not sure Villanova is ready to trade away games in NYC, DC, Jersey, and CT for Lubbock, Ames and the Little Apple. It just doesn't make sense for them.
Yeah but at the level of current BE payouts, absurd money is not that high of a bar. Would a 65%-75% increase in annual revenues be an absurd increase to these schools?

Reaction Score
not too confident in this but BUT if we get shafted by oregon state and washington state, that's truly the most depressing thing ever
Think about it. If they go that route then there'll be nothing less interesting that a UCF / Oregon State football game at 10pm on a Thursday. Right now that UCF / Kansas State football game does abosolutely nothing for me. Frankly, I'd rather watch the Browns vs Jacksonville before any Big 12 matchup. As for Yormark why bring any basketball to New York when your closest team is about 400 miles away.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kraft was serious about the move. Tagliabue was furious when he found out (they had recently lost both LA teams) and while Foxboro wasn't Boston, he didn't want the NFL having to explain moving from Boston (even though a study showed that Hartford was closer to more season ticket holders than Boston was).

The locals didn't have their act together well enough when they made their pitch and didn't realize the amount of work necessary to resolve the underground steam pipe issues that would delay construction. That opening gave Tagliabue the opportunity step in.
Why are you telling me?

Reaction Score
Uconn is a big enough basketball brand it will never go away. If doomsday happen and football is done than Uconn Bball will end up somewhere.
It might never go away, but it will be so undervalued that it too will be threatened. Clearly our BB prominence now (which arguably has never been higher) is not enough to power the AD into the big boys club.

Reaction Score
Don't get mad or upset at me for saying this about UCONN football but I am from the West Coast. I know a ton about your basketball history and respect it immensely but I did not know out West here that UCONN had a football team. Never thought about it because I thought you were sort of like Gonzaga with no football program. Never seen your football team on tv on the west coast so maybe that was the reason. TSometimes the one name anyone mentions " in the wilderness out here" from your general area is Boston College all because of Doug Flutie winning the Heisman. Most people on the streets here see you all basketball 24-7. Just win in football will get you there.
What do you even say to this? If people choose not to pay attention, they choose not to pay attention. UConn isn't a small Catholic university like Gonzaga, it's the state university for a US state known as "Connecticut." Look it up if you don't believe me. This university has been playing FBS football for 20 years (and football in general since the olden days), had top-25-ranked teams before the Big East football breakup, and played in the Fiesta Bowl 12 years ago, and yet some fans didn't realize we even had a program? "Just win" must mean "just make it to the FBS championship game as an independent with a patchwork schedule." Not too much to ask. Everyone else had to do it, right?

Reminds me of how things were back in the 1980s when I'd wear my Seahawks gear around here, and some people would say "Oh, I didn't know Seattle had an NFL team." This was after they'd made it to the AFC championship game in '83, too. There's a definite tendency for people to only pay attention to what they already know, and block out new information.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't get mad or upset at me for saying this about UCONN football but I am from the West Coast. I know a ton about your basketball history and respect it immensely but I did not know out West here that UCONN had a football team.
West coast bias

Reaction Score
The B12 has been very transparent about its desire to add the Corner Four schools since the UCLA/USC defections to the B1G. One benefit was to preclude the PAC's poaching of schools from what was perceived to be a wounded B12 following the departures of Texas and Oklahoma. Mission accomplished. The PAC has been weakened substantially and, if it survives at all, will be unable to attract any but G5 additions. Yormark has also expressed a desire to bolster the B12's basketball strength and to get into the NY market. UConn would be a logical addition to accomplish that, but nobody knew for sure if there was any specific interest until Yormark was spotted in Storrs not too long ago. If/when the B12 gets serious about adding a #17 and #18, UConn will be invited because...who else? Just be patient. I'd imagine that your administration knows it's in the queue for the next round and is wise enough to remain silent.

Reaction Score

I would think 17 and 18 would be Stanford and Cal. What's interesting is that the Big 12 has gone from 1 AAU school (Kansas) to 5 as the 4 corner schools are all AAU which would improve the Big 12 academic reputation and make the conference more acceptable to Stanford and Cal.

Oregon St. and Washington St. go the the MWC.

This was not Yormack's original plan, but he probably didn't think there would be up to 8 Pac 12 schools available.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom