Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 670 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Here's a crazy thought. The Big 12 allows UCF/West Virginia/Cincinnati go to the ACC and the Big 12 grabs Stanford/Cal/Oregon State.

Reaction Score
Do you think UConn footballs current schedule is at all representative of a hypothetical Big 12 slate? If you really think that there is nothing further to discuss as grasping that basic fact is paramount to understanding why it would basically be a death March for the program.

UConn could in theory be Big 12 competitive in 5 years if they were in the conference. Without the money or TV or CFP access, it's curtains.
I don't think I'm following you/maybe you misconstrued my thinking... to answer your reply, I do believe having B12 games on our FB sked would be a very nice step up. I'm all for betting on Mora to get FB more respected and therefore better positioned for all sports PX status.

Reaction Score
if the choices are ACC full member or B12 basketball only which would you choose?
ACC full member no question. More money, conference in our footprint. We get a chance to show our football team belongs in a power conference. I also don’t think the ACC with lose as many schools as others think. With the latest round of realignment there aren’t as many seats available at the other three tables. The PAC schools took them.

Reaction Score
No brainer, ACC. B12 for BB only adds all the hassle with none of the benefit. Solves nothing. This entire exercise is finding a home for FB.
Yep but to be clear, it’s finding 10s of millions of dollars to subsidize the athletic program through the football product.

Reaction Score
Please explain why UConn admin and boosters felt confident they will get a B12 invite? Are UConn admin a bunch of idiots who believe in fairy tales?
You believe in fairytales when you’ve got no leverage and hope is strategy. You can’t blame the admin beyond not working other options to create the appearance of leverage. We played right into Lowmark’s hands. I know exactly conversation.

LowMark to UConn - Hey guys listen we are going to want to take you, but we need to pull away a key partner so silence is key. We need the world to know you’re in play but we need to get that partner add in the boat. So, I need you guys to sit tight and not rock the boat. You know I’m a big advocate for UConn and we can get this done.

UConn to LowMark - listen, we’ve been through this before. What assurances can you give.

LowMark- you guys are smart. You know we can’t commit without it going public. So, the next best thing is I send some presidents up for a visit. You’ll know we are serious and that will get around in the media.

UConn - when is this getting done?

LowMark - I’m not going to lie to you. It could be in weeks or a month, but before the ball is kicked this will sort out.

6 weeks later…

UConn - LowMark what the hell is going on

LowMark - listen guys, I tried like hell (lie), but once Colorado jumped we started getting calls from the other 4 corners. The presidents saw the opportunity and we just had to go in that direction. It was out of my hands. I’m really sorry about this (lie).

Reaction Score
I agree with the 1st part, but if there is a way out of the GOR, there is a very good chance the ACC ends up like the PAC, with just Wake, Cuse, and BC not getting scooped up.

What's crazy is ESPN financed the destruction of the ACC. We just Fox do the same to PAC. To see the incredulity of national writers as if this didn't happen the exact same way a decade ago is fascinating.
Meant to say Big East not ACC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is probably maybe 1 or 2 BE teams that would not find a home. Seton Hall and Butler. The rest will end up somewhere.
I doubt it. As can be seen with our most recent conference realignment debacle, conferences don't particularly value basketball. Yormark would appear to be the exception, but even with all the political capital he had, he couldn't convince him his presidents are that we had more value to the conference over four teams who's basketball resumes, combined, don't even approach ours.

Besides us? Villanova, a recent champion in a major metropolitan area, arguably has some value. St. John's located in a major media market with access to MSG, might have some value. Georgetown, because it was once a great basketball brand and is located in a major metropolitan area, maybe. But beyond that, it's doubtful anyone move the needle.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I would think 17 and 18 would be Stanford and Cal. What's interesting is that the Big 12 has gone from 1 AAU school (Kansas) to 5 as the 4 corner schools are all AAU which would improve the Big 12 academic reputation and make the conference more acceptable to Stanford and Cal.

Oregon St. and Washington St. go the the MWC.

This was not Yormack's original plan, but he probably didn't think there would be up to 8 Pac 12 schools available.
I don’t think so. If the TV market has shown there’s not much appetite for western schools and late night games then it’s clear that further expansion would be east. All the best of the west are already off the board. Yormark doesn’t want to become the PAC 2.0 in 7 years.

Reaction Score
Don't get mad or upset at me for saying this about UCONN football but I am from the West Coast. I know a ton about your basketball history and respect it immensely but I did not know out West here that UCONN had a football team. Never thought about it because I thought you were sort of like Gonzaga with no football program. Never seen your football team on tv on the west coast so maybe that was the reason. TSometimes the one name anyone mentions " in the wilderness out here" from your general area is Boston College all because of Doug Flutie winning the Heisman. Most people on the streets here see you all basketball 24-7. Just win in football will get you there.
You must be a casual fan at best. We just beat West coast’s number 24 ranked Fresno State

Reaction Score
I doubt it. As can be seen with our most recent conference realignment debacle, conferences don't particularly value basketball. Yormark would appear to be the exception, but even with all the political capital he had, he couldn't convince him his presidents are that we had more value to the conference over four teams who's basketball resumes, combined, don't even approach ours.

Besides us? Villanova, a recent champion in a major metropolitan area, arguably has some value. St. John's located in a major media market with access to MSG, might have some value. Georgetown, because it was once a great basketball brand and is located in a major metropolitan area, maybe. But beyond that, it's doubtful anyone move the needle.
DePaul for Chicago even though they stink. Creighton for Nebraska. Others have value.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
DePaul for Chicago even though they stink. Creighton for Nebraska. Others have value.
I Dont Care Shrug GIF by Puss In Boots

Not seeing it.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
The Big East and ACC should be talking to each other right now about a merger. Merging the ACC into another league is the only possible way I see out of the GOR.
So some kind of football basketball hybrid conference? Wow that would be a first of its kind and the basketball schools would be totally happy with that and never leave to form their own conference without football.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
You've got it sort of right, except in the middle it becomes "Maybe Oregon State, maybe Washington State, but definitely UConn." At the end it is, "Oregon State, Washington State, and Oregon and Washington, and the remainder of the PAC, and UMass, Temple, Buffalo, North and South Dakota (both University of and State), all the Idahos, Nevadas, and New Mexicos, and EastConn, WestConn, U. of New Haven, Sacred Heart, Connecticut College, Trinity, the Coast Guard Academy, the team that won the intramural championship at Villanova, and New Canaan H.S. Sorry, UConn, but thank you for your interest in college sports.
Does this mean we'd only be eligible for the "Hyper-bole"?

Reaction Score
The B12 has been very transparent about its desire to add the Corner Four schools since the UCLA/USC defections to the B1G. One benefit was to preclude the PAC's poaching of schools from what was perceived to be a wounded B12 following the departures of Texas and Oklahoma. Mission accomplished. The PAC has been weakened substantially and, if it survives at all, will be unable to attract any but G5 additions. Yormark has also expressed a desire to bolster the B12's basketball strength and to get into the NY market. UConn would be a logical addition to accomplish that, but nobody knew for sure if there was any specific interest until Yormark was spotted in Storrs not too long ago. If/when the B12 gets serious about adding a #17 and #18, UConn will be invited because...who else? Just be patient. I'd imagine that your administration knows it's in the queue for the next round and is wise enough to remain silent.

How many times total did Lucy pull the football away from Charlie Brown? Maybe we can break that record.

Reaction Score
If the B12 offers a basketball only spot and covers our exit fee from the Big East, I think we have to take it. We want to be in on their basketball tournament after the split, and we’d now have a foot in the door for future expansion. It’s also just a really strong basketball league tbh.
No. You can’t take it unless there is a guarantee to take UConn football at some point in future…

UConn can not become Gonzaga, as much as people want that. Football has to become a priority. Not THE priority, but what happened with RE for 4 years is unacceptable. The price of that move was just paid for yesterday.

Mora has to be given every tool to be successful. More resources, better recruits, whatever it takes.

Reaction Score
I don’t think so. If the TV market has shown there’s not much appetite for western schools and late night games then it’s clear that further expansion would be east. All the best of the west are already off the board. Yormark doesn’t want to become the PAC 2.0 in 7 years.
The problem with the Pac 12 is that 11 of their teams were in the Pacific time zone for football (Arizona doesn't do daylight savings time). If the Big 12 grabs Stanford and Cal, the number of Pacific time zone schools is only 4. Much easier to manage that and the networks want some late night football. And if Stanford and Cal are available, there is no way the university presidents say no to 2 of the top academic schools in the country. Remember, university presidents make the decision not businessmen.

Reaction Score
My suggestion right now is let’s lock the realignment forum for the weekend and enjoy the beautiful summer weather and start again Monday morning.

Reaction Score
Didn't the Catholic schools break off from the football schools because they were tired of being after-thoughts and wanted to control their own fate? I don't really care if Gonzaga goes, and I would be shocked if anyone other than Creighton did from the Big East. The money just isn't there to justify it.
I think times have changed. Everyone’s survival is at stake

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
if they do add UConn as the 17th it would be strictly to balance the conference, with 5 teams out west, question is who is 18th you aren't getting a power five team out east, USF? redundant and REALLY bad sports currently, Memphis? not really out east they're decent ig??? but no, Temple? god no, Tulane? ehhhh decent I like them more than the others but probably no, likelihood they take the two academic powers in California, I don't think we're in.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
And if Stanford and Cal are available, there is no way the university presidents say no to 2 of the top academic schools in the country. Remember, university presidents make the decision not businessmen.
Not sure I agree with this anymore. Reports were that the Big10 presidents wanted all 4 this go around (OU, UW, Stanford and Cal), but the TV execs pushed back. They ultimately took only OU and UW.

Reaction Score
One thousand per cent NO. Let me spell this out for you. There are now four major conferences to survive in long term. Two of them we should assume we will never be financially important enough to qualify for. So your strategy is to get in a meaningless war of words to tick off one of the remaining two? Why, that’s brilliant.

I understand that mean words would make you feel better. Adults shut up, keep all their options open, and quietly wait for their opportunity to get revenge without broadcasting it publicly in a manner that reduces their options going forward.
100% on this.

I don’t know what messaging should come from UConn. I think something but certainly not anything pointed at Big 12 or BY regardless the thoughts behind the scene.

The actions taken now need to be bold and proactive around football. Mora should be kept happy and feel like he has the entire UConn coomunity supporting him.

Not going to start the debate around on campus stadium, but something like that would be a bold statement about backing football.

The best thing Uconn can do is start winning in football. Play the P5’s when possible, start beating them. Show BIG 12 and ACC that UConn (and it’s fans) are behind football. Use all resources available to do this. That has to start now.

UConn football doesn’t have to be great. Top 50 program with some years getting Top 25 ranking is all that’s needed and UConn is attractive target.

It’s frustrating because it’s not an immediate solution. But getting UConn’s FB value up is the only path and that will take 3-5 years fo growth and development.

Reaction Score
Yormark is afraid the ACC is going to add UConn and USF before he can find the media money to add 17 and 18.
I know you guys think I'm full of , but thought I'd post it anyway.

Yormark is afraid the ACC is going to add UConn and USF before he can find the media money to add 17 and 18.
I know you guys think I'm full of , but thought I'd post it anyway.

Shut up dude. Just shut —- up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom