Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 667 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Idk if Nova, St Johns, and Georgetown would want to ever be involved in the Big 12. They would be going from having a substantial voice in conference decisions to the bottom of the totem pole, which is exactly why they wanted nothing to do with UConn/USF/Cincy when the Big East/AAC split happened.

Nova and Georgetown are not hurting for cash like we are
Yeah, but in some ways it's kind of a prisoner's dilemma. If the BE loses a couple marquee schools, all remaining schools will either be substantial voices or part of the crowd in a slightly higher profile A-10.

Reaction Score
Yes, that is how the GOR was set up to work, but FSU is extremely focused on getting out. They are prepping to build a war chest of money (looking into private equity, donor loans, etc) that would fight the GOR from a legal standpoint, enable a buyout of the GOR and or exit fee, etc. Almost every exit has been negotiated down and it seems like the same would be true with the ACC. When someone has the fury like FSU does, things that don't seem possible/prudent can be the outcome. It can't be understated how important big time football inclusion is to FSU.
FSU has been saying this every 2 years for many years now. It's the same story. Let me give you one example: Texas paid $50m to get out of the B12. That was w/ 1 yr remaining on the contract.

You might think that this # x 13 yrs that remains on the ACC GOR would be enough to buy FSU's exit, but then you're not taking into account the possible loss of CFP money for the entire remains of the ACC, and even worse, the possible dissolution of the conference for a lot more money than that. Especially for teams like Cal and Stanford who wouldn't find a landing spot.

This means that the farther away you are from the end of the contract, the more difficult it is to leave. The B12 knew it only had a yr left so it negotiated the $50m settlement. For ACC teams, that is chump change compare to the possible annual losses of revenue.

It just can't happen until 2034 at the earliest.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Yormark deserves credit, of course, but the Pac-12 was really destroyed by the departure of USC/UCLA to the B1G and the lousy Apple broadcasting rights offer that predictably followed. The Big XII was just in position to scoop up the goodies once the piñata inevitably burst.
First of all, it’s a shame what happened yesterday. You as a school and it’s fans deserve better.

While the USCLA defection was the killshot for PAC, the path to destruction was set in motion the day the PAC presidents turned down Texas and Oklahoma. While Larry Scott did irreparable damage to the PAC with the mismanagement of the PAC Network, the university presidents at the time were also at fault for turning down that expansion. He was forward enough thinking to expand the PAC’s footprint. It kept the broadcasts on the west coast and lessened the brand of the major PAC schools. To top it off, a decade ago the PAC turned down the Big10’s proposal for a scheduling agreement that would have given the PAC more eastern exposure.

While the Big12 may be in the drivers seat for the 3rd conference, part of me wonders if history is repeating itself. Not taking UConn over doubling up on Utah and Arizona really regionalizes the conference. Maybe they’re banking on the demise of the ACC to pull in the East Coast, but that’s a gamble.

GG

Reaction Score
I know I saw this last night too but can’t find it now..is this confirmed from a legit source?
That was confirmed, but I cannot recall where a read it (not from a Twitter source).

Reaction Score
Didn't the Catholic schools break off from the football schools because they were tired of being after-thoughts and wanted to control their own fate? I don't really care if Gonzaga goes, and I would be shocked if anyone other than Creighton did from the Big East. The money just isn't there to justify it.
Creighton does little for B12 markets though

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I posed something a few months back (when the rumors began) that if the B-12 was legitimately looking at adding Gonzaga, it wouldn't make sense without also adding another one or three non-football members. I threw out Creighton (due to location) and two of Marquette, St John's, Villanova and Georgetown (as at the time I thought we would be in play for an all sports invitation) and many (primarily basketball only UConn fans) dismissed the idea.

How would they feel if we declined a bid for all but football and (hypothetically) watched Gonzaga, Creighton and two of Marquette, St John's, Villanova and Georgetown join?
Seemingly that is what is on the table. Gtown and SJU made their splashy coaching hires for this next moment.

But even if this BB expansion gets real traction- until the ink is dry- there is a very good chance the B12 presidents kill it in the final hours and motion to wait for the ACC implosion or just take the remaining P12 schools.

Reaction Score
Can’t have it both ways. How can teams leave but any team that enters will be stuck. I think the GOR keeps them in close to the whole time. And if they do leave it would be a bit of a windfall monetarily for the teams that stay for a short period. We need an infusion of money. If it’s partial for basketball that’s grows in full with football over time we need to go.
The high value teams that can land in the B10 or SEC can leave now at an enormous cost. The other teams will be poached or fight to land somewhere once the GOR ends and the remaining value is plucked up.

In other words, by 2036, all of the value is gone: FSU, UNC, Clemson, Miami…maybe Duke. What remains is the old big east and the other teams. The fact that we were in consideration at all for the B12 is exactly because the ACC GOR which took all of those teams off the table. What I’m saying is that joint the ACC now (you’re right) give us some cash, but it’s not a ton and we’d be in the hook for a massive BE exit fee. Meanwhile, our chances of getting to the B12 or B10 would be zero. Trade offs I suppose, but honestly I just hate the ACC for how they’ve treated UConn.

Reaction Score
First of all, it’s a shame what happened yesterday. You as a school and it’s fans deserve better.

While the USCLA defection was the killshot for PAC, the path to destruction was set in motion the day the PAC presidents turned down Texas and Oklahoma. While Larry Scott did irreparable damage to the PAC with the mismanagement of the PAC Network, the university presidents at the time were also at fault for turning down that expansion. He was forward enough thinking to expand the PAC’s footprint. It kept the broadcasts on the west coast and lessened the brand of the major PAC schools. To top it off, a decade ago the PAC turned down the Big10’s proposal for a scheduling agreement that would have given the PAC more eastern exposure.

While the Big12 may be in the drivers seat for the 3rd conference, part of me wonders if history is repeating itself. Not taking UConn over doubling up on Utah and Arizona really regionalizes the conference. Maybe they’re banking on the demise of the ACC to pull in the East Coast, but that’s a gamble.
I like the comparisons you're making.

In my view, the Big12 is pulling a Pac12 right now as it sizes up the ACC, and they don't realize that it's the ACC that will survive by adding Kansas, Texas Tech, hopefully UConn and a couple of other schools, whenever the 4-5 ACC schools defect in 10 yrs.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So the Kraft's went to all that trouble and bluff for $72M "infrastructure improvements"? No, they were all in until CT couldn't deliver.
Kraft was serious about the move. Tagliabue was furious when he found out (they had recently lost both LA teams) and while Foxboro wasn't Boston, he didn't want the NFL having to explain moving from Boston (even though a study showed that Hartford was closer to more season ticket holders than Boston was).

The locals didn't have their act together well enough when they made their pitch and didn't realize the amount of work necessary to resolve the underground steam pipe issues that would delay construction. That opening gave Tagliabue the opportunity step in.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That is what is on the table. Gtown and SJU made their splashy coaching hires for this next moment.

But even if this BB expansion gets real traction- until the ink is dry- there is a very good chance the B12 presidents kill it in the final hours and motion to wait for the ACC implosion or just take the remaining P12 schools.

The Big East has had great coaches since its inception. Looking at two programs that hired great coaches and assuming that it means they're positioning themselves for conference realignment seems like a stretch.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The Big East has had great coaches since its inception. Looking at two programs that hired great coaches and assuming that it means they're positioning themselves for conference realignment seems like a stretch.
It’s how I read the tea leaves.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be so fast to trash Yormark. I don’t think he used UConn to leverage other schools to join. It was clear to me from the visits that he took and the language that he used in discussing his vision for the conference that he was all in on your school.

Convincing a group of presidents to add a Northeast School known for basketball to their primarily Midwest/Southwest “Football” conference was always going to be a big challenge. Sadly BY is probably 5+years ahead of his time in how he views monetizing basketball. I do think that many of these presidents will come to see this and regret it when it becomes more clear.

Raiding/killing The PAC as a competitor was always a real thing for the Big 12. Their membership truly viewed things as an us or them scenario. Taking the four corners was always going to happen if they could do it.

I firmly believe that BY still wants UConn in The Big 12. He wants into the NE badly and ASAP. UConn delivers this better and faster than what is available in a future raided ACC. With conferences already at 18 and growing, there will be a place for you. The school and AD are too good to be shut out.

GG

Reaction Score
I like the comparisons you're making.

In my view, the Big12 is pulling a Pac12 right now as it sizes up the ACC, and they don't realize that it's the ACC that will survive by adding Kansas, Texas Tech, hopefully UConn and a couple of other schools, whenever the 4-5 ACC schools defect in 10 yrs.
BY is a forward thinking commissioner. The ACC commissioner not so much.

Reaction Score
Then you risk everything including BE basketball to do what - maybe get into an ACC remnant league in 5 years?
Uconn is a big enough basketball brand it will never go away. If doomsday happen and football is done than Uconn Bball will end up somewhere.

Reaction Score
Why are you saying football has to be degraded if separated from basketball? UConn has already done said separating and under Mora is currently on the rise. Our weak link over the past 10 years has been football. Why not bet on ourselves with Mora and see where it leads to? It's the best long term play we have. It's quite possible the BE becomes a G5-like basketball conference due to conference consolidation driven by the media companies (see OBE and PAC), NIL that the BE's smaller schools can't keep up with, etc.
Do you think UConn footballs current schedule is at all representative of a hypothetical Big 12 slate? If you really think that there is nothing further to discuss as grasping that basic fact is paramount to understanding why it would basically be a death March for the program.

UConn could in theory be Big 12 competitive in 5 years if they were in the conference. Without the money or TV or CFP access, it's curtains.

Reaction Score
They don't care about markets, look at who they just brought in as members. Is the Utah market attractive?
Football versus basketball. 2 different things. As we just found out

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be so fast to trash Yormark. I don’t think he used UConn to leverage other schools to join. It was clear to me from the visits that he took and the language that he used in discussing his vision for the conference that he was all in on your school.

Convincing a group of presidents to add a Northeast School known for basketball to their primarily Midwest/Southwest “Football” conference was always going to be a big challenge. Sadly BY is probably 5+years ahead of his time in how he views monetizing basketball. I do think that many of these presidents will come to see this and regret it when it becomes more clear.

I do think that there’s still hope for you. Raiding/killing The PAC as a competitor was always a real thing for the Big 12. Their membership truly viewed things as an us or them scenario. Taking the four corners was always going to happen if they could do it.

That being said, I believe that BY still wants UConn. He still wants into the NE badly IMO. UConn delivers this better than what is available in a future raided ACC. With conferences already at 18 and growing, there will be a place for you. The school and AD are too good to be shut out.
Maybe he goes Memphis then? UConn should tell the big 12 to go f off and start working out some type of arrangement with the ACC. The big 12 layed out their long term plan. Make them regret it for not executing it.

Reaction Score
The alternative is to never try to get into a P5 or should I say P4 conference which is really unacceptable. Our reputation is not damaged, and we need to keep trying. If the phone rings AD Dave needs to pick it up and listen.
Maybe our reputation is already damaged and that is why we were left behind for inferior schools again. A lot of anti UConn hate during this latest round on social media.

GG

Reaction Score
What exactly do you want the ACC commissioner to do?
My pount is simply that BY is forward thinking and moves with a purpose. The ACC schedule a meeting to discuss their options with respect to the Pac 12, while the Big 12 makes it move.

Reaction Score
The Big East and ACC should be talking to each other right now about a merger. Merging the ACC into another league is the only possible way I see out of the GOR.
This would be an awesome outcome for UCONN.

The basketball schools paid at one rate. Maybe two tiers for football based on performance (say top 6) to appease Fl St, Clemson, Miami, UNC, etc. It could be the choice of the school on whether to focus on football or hoops. Returns old rivalries. If BY is correct about undervalued hoops this pretty much creates far and away the best hoops conference and totally blocks out the NE corridor to other conferences. Keep tourney in MSG. No exit fee.

B1G and SEC will always dominate football but ACC/BE would be far and away the best hoops conference while still putting out a solid football product.

Reaction Score
Maybe our reputation is already damaged and that is why we were left behind for inferior schools again. A lot of anti UConn hate during this latest round on social media.
I think part of it is ignorance too. I had an argument with a guy that said Arizona was easily the better basketball add. There is a serious perception problem around the country. We can keep calling ourselves the basketball capital of whatever but literally no one believes it or cares outside of Connecticut.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom