Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 187 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Brian Davis@BDavisAAS 19 mins ago
Multiple sources tell me this idea Texas would somehow block Houston from joining Big 12 is not true. Out-of-state schools might, though.

Brian Davis@BDavisAAS 19 mins ago
Out-of-state schools aren't fired up about the idea of adding a 5th Texas school like Houston to Big 12, sources said.

Reaction Score
And the reality is that the ACC doesn't need a partner to add UConn. ND means that they would be at an even number for every sport but football. Football would be unbalanced, but that won't matter much with the extra ND games on the schedule. Big Ten made it work with Penn State for years.

Did the Big Ten make an uneven number work while having divisions and a conference championship game?

Hell no! They couldn't. Not until they had an even number and divisions. From 2000 through 2010 before the 1st CCG in 2011, there were co-champions in six of those seasons.

The ACC did attempt to find a way to do this but the Big Ten nixed that by offering their rule amendment that pretty much scotched the plan.

Reaction Score
Thamel has us as 3rd school in, Gresh will argue with him that we don't belong.
they're such clowns. seriously. and I like Joe D as a basketball announcer. but they shouldn't be talking about realignment because they have no knowledge of the subject

Joe D just asked if the Big 12 might invite Notre Dame as a football only member

Reaction Score
they're such clowns. seriously. and I like Joe D as a basketball announcer. but they shouldn't be talking about realignment because they have no knowledge of the subject

Joe D just asked if the Big 12 might invite Notre Dame as a football only member
Sounds like a good idea for the Big 12, Notre Dame is really good at football and has a lot of history. Lol

Reaction Score

:rolleyes::confused:

Reaction Score

That is startling in its ignorance on several levels.....

Reaction Score

Yes, I heard that and I couldn't believe it! It is obvious that he knows little about conference realignment.

Reaction Score
It appears to me that the Big 12 plan may be somewhat like a reverse auction....

Who will take the least money for the longest period.

The media contract with Fox/ESPN appears to hook them into paying a proportionate share for any new expansion team...but the twitterati are saying that the networks are balking at extending that contract beyond the current eight years.

They appear that they will increase the media contract portion of the pie proportionately but slice the whole pie more...(no real increases in football playoff money, BB distributions, bowl money since these have two more mouths to feed).

The Big 12 can keep current members whole, or even see a small increase...if they bring in new members who will take less for a longer period.

Reaction Score
Now Gresh is talking about UConn going back to the Big East. Joe D says that the Big East wouldn't take UConn. Gresh says this would only be if the Big 12 took UConn as a football only member. Crazy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It appears to me that the Big 12 plan may be somewhat like a reverse auction....

Who will take the least money for the longest period.

The media contract with Fox/ESPN appears to hook them into paying a proportionate share for any new expansion team...but the twitterati are saying that the networks are balking at extending that contract beyond the current eight years.

They appear that they will increase the media contract portion of the pie proportionately but slice the whole pie more...(no real increases in football playoff money, BB distributions, bowl money since these have two more mouths to feed).

The Big 12 can keep current members whole, or even see a small increase...if they bring in new members who will take less for a longer period.

Yes, but I think they are horse trading. If the network won't extend, then whoever takes the least makes them the most money short term. But, I suspect that they really want to say, ok, if we add just UConn, UC, BYU and UCF, will you extend? They are trying to find a set of schools that will be viable longer term, if possible. The network clearly don't want crap schools for the next 9 years.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yes, but I think they are horse trading. If the network won't extend, then whoever takes the least makes them the most money short term. But, I suspect that they really want to say, ok, if we add just UConn, UC, BYU and UCF, will you extend? They are trying to find a set of schools that will be viable longer term, if possible. The network clearly don't want crap schools for the next 9 years.
No way they get an extension early without extending the GOR also. The market may look very different in 8 years, whenever the current contract is up.

Reaction Score
yeah....the Big 12 wants programs with potential so that when contracts come due in 8 years...they may have grown in stature and have strength to negotiate a strong contract.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 may be looking eight years out...do you have the potential, included in a P5, to become more than what you are today.

Reaction Score
Don't freak out over this quote. The source is right, we've already been vetted by both the Big 12 and their search firm.

The school isn't going to tip it's hand here in either direction.

I construed the comment about being interesting to be more because of naming Houston and Memphis specifically rather than the part about being vetted. I found it interesting just that he named those two.

Reaction Score
image.png

Not sure if "key" but clearly we're not very popular amongst football coaches

Reaction Score
John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 3h3 hours ago
ESPN sources: USF being investigated by NCAA ... So check that one off the Big 12's list.

Reaction Score
Jon Solomon ‏@JonSolomonCBS · 4h4 hours ago
American commissioner Mike Aresco on Big 12 expansion news: "Whatever is going to happen is going to happen."
How low will some Group of Five schools go to win a Big 12 expansion invite?

American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco, whose league formed after getting eaten by the ACC and by eating Conference USA, sounded frustrated Wednesday. He tried to put on a brave face after the latest twist in "As The Big 12 Turns." The stark reality is this: While the American tries to build off its very successful 2015 football season, Aresco's schools will be competing to get the first ticket out of town.

"We're going about our business," Aresco said. "We have initiatives we're working on. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. I'm working hard for this conference, and I'm proud of what we've accomplished with this conference. You just tune out the distractions. We've got members here who are relying on the conference to support them. That's our focus."

Aresco wouldn't say if he has spoken with some of his schools' presidents and athletic directors since the latest Big 12 news. "I really don't want to bring a lot of attention on this," he said.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 20m20 minutes ago
Bowlsby describes football-only membership as "probably feasible" but adds "I wouldn't say it's our first choice."

People are missing this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom