Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 188 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
David Teel ‏@DavidTeelatDP · 2h2 hours ago
#ACC media alert says ESPN president John Skipper will attend Swoff's presser tomorrow. #ACCNetwork #ACCKickoff

Reaction Score
$5 Says McMurphy didn't eve include UConn in his survey to sway the results towards rule #1

Either that, or the B12 coaches don't want to wake a sleeping dog.

Oh stop. They're football coaches. They're interested in adding the best football programs. They aren't the decision makers, so let's not concern ourselves with their opinions.

Reaction Score
Oh stop. They're football coaches. They're interested in adding the best football programs. They aren't the decision makers, so let's not concern ourselves with their opinions.

You forgot to laugh at my cynicism and blatent homerism with your fact based statements.

Reaction Score
BYU, Houston, UConn and Cincinnati to the Big 12? :rolleyes:

Even Kansas State fans want us.

Reaction Score
The ACC ‏@theACC
. @theACC & @espn will hold a press conference Thursday at 10am. Watch live on ESPN3

Andrew Carter ‏@_andrewcarter 42m42 minutes ago
ACC announces Thursday PC w/Swofford, ESPN pres John Skipper, Kevin White (leader of ACC TV Committee), others. My guess is TV-related.

Reaction Score
Bobby Burton that covers Texas.

With conference expansion now seemingly all but a foregone conclusion based on the events of yesterday, there are two pressing matters to discuss.
Which schools are the best fits to join the conference? And what does the future for Texas look like as a result of this decision?

Debates over which schools are best to join the conference can be had. The general candidates are:

Houston
Memphis
Cincinnati
UConn
Central Florida
South Florida
BYU

Here's the problem with that list. Five of those seven schools are considered "commuter" schools, which tend to breed the lifetime loyalty of its students (both former and current) about as much as San Jacinto Junior College does. If the Big 12 expands to 14, it's a given that Houston, Memphis and Cincinnati will be three of the four. The fourth comes down to UConn or either of the directional Florida schools with the likely preference of UCF.
If it's just two teams, it'll likely be Cincinnati and Memphis or Cincinnati and Houston.

However, what could throw a real wrench in the plans of those commuter schools is if a school from a Power 5 school wants to throw its hat in the ring. But I think the likelihood of that ever getting much traction is remote because, based on the people I have spoken to at Texas, I doubt Texas is willing to give the assurances necessary to any such incoming member regarding its long-term commitment to the conference. So while some may mention Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State as possible additions, none of those schools would leave their current deals for a Big 12 that did not include a long-term commitment from Texas.

The only assurance Texas, or any school for that matter, could truly give to any newcomer is the "grant of rights" to the league that is currently in place. That grant for Texas and all of teams of the Big 12 extends to 2025. Yet I don't see an extension of the grant of rights occurring based on my discussion with a high-ranking Texas official this morning. "I do not like any of the choices," the official said. "(I) want to watch to see if there is a move to extend the grant of TV rights. I will fight that tooth and nail." So there you have it. There will be multiple discussions and iterations of a possible newly minted Big 12 with new teams, but Texas is unlikely willing to bestow its TV rights beyond 2025. That means the Big 12 will be looking primarily at adding commuter schools, which, in turn, only means Texas is likely headed to either the Big 10, SEC or Pac-12 come 2025.

As for my opinion on the matter, I think Texas is a better fit in the Big 10 or SEC in the future. I'd personally favor the SEC, but it's my understanding that Texas president Greg Fenves and UT chancellor William McRaven both prefer the Big 10. In that case, expect Texas to ask for an annual trip to Chicago (playing either Northwestern or Illinois 80 miles down the road from there) and to either of the East Coast markets (either DC, by playing Maryland, or NYC, by playing Rutgers

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We can't afford to sponsor any more scholarship sports.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

As I've posted in other threads, I think this could indicate the Big 12 will go for the schools willing to take the steepest haircut - i.e., the commuter schools. OU / UT take the money and run.

Reaction Score
As I've posted in other threads, I think this could indicate the Big 12 will go for the schools willing to take the steepest haircut - i.e., the commuter schools. OU / UT take the money and run.
Those positions are for sale

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Those positions are for sale

When I hear the "who's willing to take the steepest haircut" line, I wonder why not us? Why would we refuse literally any deal that the Big XII offered us? How could they offer us any deal that would leave us with less revenue than what we'll see in the near future in an AAC likely devoid of at least one of its top teams after the Big XII raids, AND after Big East money runs out...I'm not asking these questions rhetorically. I genuinely don't know much about the finances of CR and don't get why that question is even being posed by pundits

Reaction Score
Heather Dinich‏@CFBHeather
The @espn car wash rolls on with the @Big12Conference coaches today ... starting my interviews today with @TCUCoachP

Jake Trotter‏@Jake_Trotter
Big 12 coaches cycling through Bristol all day today.

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe · 10h10 hours ago
Welcome to Bristol, Big 12. You know - It’s only 46 miles to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Joseph Duarte ‏@Joseph_Duarte · 1h1 hour ago  Houston, TX
Expecting statements regarding Big 12 later tonight from @UHCougars AD Hunter Yurachek and university president Renu Khator

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Heather Dinich‏@CFBHeather
The @espn car wash rolls on with the @Big12Conference coaches today ... starting my interviews today with @TCUCoachP

Jake Trotter‏@Jake_Trotter
Big 12 coaches cycling through Bristol all day today.

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe · 10h10 hours ago
Welcome to Bristol, Big 12. You know - It’s only 46 miles to Storrs.
UConn people should be soliticing them at ESPN as we speak.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom