Just heard on WFAN | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Just heard on WFAN

Reaction Score
I 've been following this fire Ollie crap for three weeks. We will get an idiot to coach, with all the decommits and transfers,.

We had decommits and transfers with Ollie last year. Right now we are likely to finish 7th in the AAC and assuming Larrier and Adams are gone next year won't be any better. Get a clue or change your name to The DUD.

Reaction Score
I 've been following this fire Ollie crap for three weeks. We will get an idiot to coach, with all the decommits and transfers, we will be like Memphis USF and Tulsa. For years to come, you'll be all screaming to fire the next guy, After two years of the idiot that follows KO that guy will get fired, then they'll call KO and he'll be like Edsal following Diaco. You heard it here first. Most of you guys don't know what you are wishing for.
Wait, wait, wait. Just to clarify, in your bizzaro fantasy world, when UConn fires the next coach and is looking to turn back to the guy who originally built the program up from nothing ala Edsall, Kevin Ollie is the guy you think of?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I heard the same thing. I checked the Courant Web site and twitter and nothing is being reported. Sounds like the caller (who supposedly was from Storrs, Ct) just wanted to create some fake news and start a little media/social media storm.
Man, Chillious is a pretty smooth operator.

Reaction Score
I 've been following this fire Ollie crap for three weeks. We will get an idiot to coach, with all the decommits and transfers, we will be like Memphis USF and Tulsa. For years to come, you'll be all screaming to fire the next guy, After two years of the idiot that follows KO that guy will get fired, then they'll call KO and he'll be like Edsal following Diaco. You heard it here first. Most of you guys don't know what you are wishing for.

Time to start mainlining the White Russians, just drinking them is not working anymore Dude.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
These new worst of stats still leave me stunned. Even though I am becoming numb to all of the awful.

Yeah I mean it’s easy to see on the court. We simply can’t score. Like ever.

But it’s still incredibly sobering to see the hard stats that come out of it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"Low expectations the key to happiness" gives it away.

Maybe a program like UMass or Central is more your speed.

If UConn became UMass or Central, would you still consider yourself a fan/follow the team/watch games?

Reaction Score
However much level of mediocrity you do or don't tolerate has absolutely zero bearing on the status of the program.

No disrespect, but so many people here think they matter much more than they do.

Every paying customer matters, but the tenspro's of the world are already factored into the calculus when a decision like this needs to be made. When a product declines the expectation is always that less people will pay for it. In this case, that number might not be enough to offset the buyout, so they'll lean on the die-hard's in the meantime and trust that the others will return when the product is up to their standards.

I think the tug-of-war that is going on right now within the fan base is very much undecided, though. If people from this site are genuine about not supporting the program going forward with Ollie in charge, then there is a chance that the AD may act desperately, especially if that sentiment is popular enough to urge donor's to act.

In short, I don't blame those who are dissatisfied for making their voices heard. I'm just not one of them, and I think this board - comprised almost entirely of people who care a lot about UConn basketball - causes the overall numbers to be skewed. Most people are like me. They're unhappy with the current situation, but they're mellow enough after everything the program has accomplished to tolerate mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Honest to God, 2014 was enough for me. I haven't gotten mad watching a college basketball game one time since then and I'm not sure I will again. Kevin Ollie can have a lifetime contract for all I care and go .500 in the AAC every year and I'll be content. If that makes me culpable in the destruction of the program then so be it, but I'll also caution that things could be a lot worse than they are now.

Every fan is not me and so Ollie will be dismissed within a year or two if things don't turn around and the world will go on. I just don't get the sense that the mob is as fierce as this board portrays it to be.

Reaction Score
I really hope this is misinformation. If this team doesn’t significantly improve its play and finishes below or at .500 he has to go. The program can’t afford another year like this.

KO is not going to leave because of some off the court crisis. However, he is gone if he continues to be uninspiring and not creative or strategic on the bench. That has been the problem. I have never seen so many blank stares on a coaching staff at critical points during a game. You can't coach by slogan only - we need substance! Our brand has taken a hit, but we could normally withstand that. Being in this conference, however, exacerbates such problems.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The biggest problem with firing Ollie is that his successor is probably going to be a nobody. It is going to be hard to recruit even a second tier coaching candidate to a remote northern outpost in a southern mid major conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Isn't it about time that people acknowledge that Ollie's offense is the problem. These players were able to score in high school, that's how they got scholarships. I had slim hope that Ollie himself would recognize this, but he's filled his bench with yes men assistants.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ollie isn't getting fired midseason unless he does something terrible off the court.
He isn't getting fired at the end of the year in all likelihood, because we can't afford it.

The most likely scenario (if he is not back) is that Kevin finds another job, maybe an assistant position with the Thunder, and we negotiate a much lower buyout. He saves face, and can continue his career. I am fairly sure that Ollie does not need or want to be fired for non-performance. It's not a resume builder. I also think that he probably needs a change of scenery, and to get the hell away from Connecticut.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem with firing Ollie is that his successor is probably going to be a nobody. It is going to be hard to recruit even a second tier coaching candidate to a remote northern outpost in a southern mid major conference.
Thats a separate problem. Without hesitation, Ollie needs to go. That being said, he has destroyed the brand so badly that yes, UConn is in no way a destination job. Our best bet is trying to sell our elite history. Ollie has clearly shown the floor of the program and this conference which is why guys like Hurley(who may have once coveted the job) will no longer consider it. We will need to take a chance on a rising star or an unemployed big name. Either way, who ever it is will surely underwhelm the fan base and media. Still, that doesn't mean Ollie deserves to stay. This program has to start over.

Reaction Score
The general public believes Ollie is a bad coach now. KO’s brand is what is ruined.

A lot of UConn fans would still give him another year because he won a NC and they’ve stayed loyal to him. His buyout is huge too. I’m fairly sure that Benedict wants him out, but it’s a ton of money to raise. At the same rate, UConn is losing a lot of money because of the product (not that it offsets, but losing like this is a big opportunity cost).

I love KO, but I look at the data we have on him and I can’t find any way to skew it to make him look like a decent coach. We consistently get the highest ranked recruiting class in the AAC, and do nothing with them. Chillious is a great recruiter, but did that translate to Romar winning in Washington? No.

I don’t know if firing him will be possible, but I don’t realistically see Ollie turning things around in Storrs next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's finishing the season and will be back next year. 2018-2019 campaign is do or die for KO.
I hope youre wrong, i'm afraid of a good 18-19 season because then they might be tempted to sign him to another contract. I dont want to be in this situation again.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If UConn became UMass or Central, would you still consider yourself a fan/follow the team/watch games?

Nope. Because there is a giant crossover of UConn fans and Pats fans. Same mentality.

Reaction Score
Yes, but if you're going to give Ollie 2017-18 with a ragtag roster, you have to give him 2018-19 with Gilbert, Akinjo, Sid Wilson, and Matthews coming to help and the 2017 class taking that famous freshman-sophomore jump. The importance of quality point guards in college basketball can't be overstated.
First of all relying on Gilbert to be any more than a role player would be nuts. Maybe he is AJ Price minus the laptops. But with his history you need to approach it as a hope not a sure bet.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
If you aren’t sure you want Hurley or Becker, it may make sense to see if anyone separates themselves from the pack next year as high major coaches. The next hire is a huge decision and a ton hinges on it being a good one.

How much does the buyout go down by after next year?

Reaction Score
Thats a separate problem. Without hesitation, Ollie needs to go. That being said, he has destroyed the brand so badly that yes, UConn is in no way a destination job. Our best bet is trying to sell our elite history. Ollie has clearly shown the floor of the program and this conference which is why guys like Hurley(who may have once coveted the job) will no longer consider it. We will need to take a chance on a rising star or an unemployed big name. Either way, who ever it is will surely underwhelm the fan base and media. Still, that doesn't mean Ollie deserves to stay. This program has to start over.
The program is still at a point where UConn is UConn and we can sell a potential coach that the current situation is a product of poor coaching and injuries as opposed to an institutional or conference situation. Certainly the addition of Wichita helps, and hopefully a solid performance from the conference in the tournament will do the same. We're still in a position where someone like a Hurley at URI and Pikiell would be looking hard at the job. Another year of this garbage and we're that much closer to a different story.

I think the only way KO gets fired during the season is if it goes into a complete downward spiral and we're something like 2-12 in conference. He's got the year to prove he deserves another year. If he backdoors his way into the NCAA tournament, obviously he comes back. Otherwise, I think there's no merit to bringing him back. Whether the financial side of things influences AD David Benedict to give him another year, I don't know. But purely on merit it's tournament or bust this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed69

Top Bottom