Just heard on WFAN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just heard on WFAN

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I really hope this is misinformation. If this team doesn’t significantly improve its play and finishes below or at .500 he has to go. The program can’t afford another year like this.
I guarantee you he wont be back..

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Benedict had the $$$ & RE lined up to rid the school of Diaco. He doesn't have his ducks in a row for an Ollie departure just yet.

Didn't he have a sit-down with Ollie last year and basically give him an ultimatum? Why did he bother if he couldn't afford to fire him if he had another bad year?

Reaction Score
I know Ollie's contract runs through 2021, but is there anyone here on the boneyard that can explain the conditions and financial ramifications attached to it in layman's terms?

i.e. if he were to be fired in the middle of this season, end of the season, prior to 5/1/19, etc.?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He's finishing the season and will be back next year. 2018-2019 campaign is do or die for KO.

The chances of him coming back next year are slim to nonexistent. Benedict probably would have fired him if he could have after last season, he's been fed up for a while.

I have no idea, but based on their respective track records I'm going with SirHypeAlot.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There is absolutely no way Ollie gets fired mid season. Want to make a terrible situation worse? Do that.

If there wasn't a buyout he'd be gone at the end of the year, but I'm inclined to think given the buyout he'll be here in 2018/2019.

pj

Reaction Score
I made that statement on good information. Unless he steps down he'll be back.

I think this is logical. If you didn't fire him last May when you had a total rebuild, why wouldn't you give him another year to see what he can do with a much more talented roster that he's recruited, and with his own coaching staff? With the loss of Gilbert, the decision to give him another chance last May logically ought to have became a decision to give him two years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree but there’s a little bit of humor in this coming from someone with 27,000(!) posts on an internet message board.
I think August was including himself in the sick lot that would post here and/or call into sports radio.

Reaction Score
I think this is logical. If you didn't fire him last May when you had a total rebuild, why wouldn't you give him another year to see what he can do with a much more talented roster that he's recruited, and with his own coaching staff? With the loss of Gilbert, the decision to give him another chance last May functionally became a decision to give him two years.
Or maybe Beneduct had his hands tied, knowing it wouldn’t look good to fire the head football and basketball coach in the same year.

Reaction Score
Benedict had the $$$ & RE lined up to rid the school of Diaco. He doesn't have his ducks in a row for an Ollie departure just yet.

There are a lot more ducks to line up . . . I don't think he's going to get there.

pj

Reaction Score
Or maybe Beneduct had his hands tied, knowing it wouldn’t look good to fire the head football and basketball coach in the same year.

Yes, but if you're going to give Ollie 2017-18 with a ragtag roster, you have to give him 2018-19 with Gilbert, Akinjo, Sid Wilson, and Matthews coming to help and the 2017 class taking that famous freshman-sophomore jump. The importance of quality point guards in college basketball can't be overstated.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
A donor/booster is going to have to pay the majority of the $9 million remaining of Ollie's contract if Ollie is going to be fired after this season. The Athletic Department doesn't have the cash to outlay that much ahead of time, and then turn around and pay a new coach on top of that.

If noone steps up, Ollie will have another season after this one.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if a coalition of donors isn't right now raiding the mattress for the bread to empower Benedict to make it happen.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Vulture's may not he circling but they're airborne.

When coaches jobs' are being openly discussed on NYC sports, it's a sign.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I think this is logical. If you didn't fire him last May when you had a total rebuild, why wouldn't you give him another year to see what he can do with a much more talented roster that he's recruited, and with his own coaching staff? With the loss of Gilbert, the decision to give him another chance last May functionally became a decision to give him two years.
I think that could be accepted if the team played with any cohesion or heart, or showed an ability to be more than the sum of their parts. Or showed improvement from key players, or if we hadn't lost four four-star players (3 transfers and a decommit) right after they made the decision to bring him back and bring on a new assistant coach.

Everything that's been attempted has made things worse. Cut the cord.

pj

Reaction Score
I think that could be accepted if the team played with any cohesion or heart, or showed an ability to be more than the sum of their parts. Or showed improvement from key players, or if we hadn't lost four four-star players (3 transfers and a decommit) right after they made the decision to bring him back and bring on a new assistant coach.

Everything that's been attempted has made things worse. Cut the cord.

You are double-counting. AD Benedict knew the situation, knew the unhappiness of the players and interviewed all of them, must have known several were considering transferring and why. You can't count the transfers and the decommit as post-retention decision events.

As for this year, what is surprising about it? With Gilbert there was some hope to become an NCAA bubble team, but without him we're a kenpom #100 team at best and can hope to reach .500 and make the NIT. The team is playing to expectations so far. Unevenly, to be sure, but about as expected. How many teams finish above .500 that lack a center, lack a point guard, lack 3 point shooters, have all-freshman forwards, and lack experience playing together?

As you say, the team has to show cohesion, heart, progress, and signs of good coaching. Another post-season of discontent would be unacceptable. But if the team progresses like a normal basketball team and returns like a basketball team, then I think Ollie gets another year.

Bottom line for me: Ollie has shown once before that he can coach a complete roster with good players to the highest success; and he's shown that with his Chillious-led coaching staff he can recruit effectively. Thus there's reason to hope that we'll in time once again have a complete roster with good players, and we may see them then attain high levels of success. But, it's all dependent on player development and building a team. Let's watch and root for him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How many teams finish above .500 that lack a center, lack a point guard, lack 3 point shooters, have all-freshman forwards, and lack experience playing together?
Damn that's depressing to read.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom