• Agreed, he is the worst of the worst.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • No, I'm a glutton for torture.

Votes: 75 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is this a real thread/poll??? Do you watch the games on TV? Mike Patrick and god knows what other announcers we get on cbs sports and sny. Mike Patrick and Tim welsh to name two. Joe D and Wayne Norman are awesome. Double thumbs down to this

I think Welsh is terrific. Plus I remember Welsh sticking up for Ollie when he 1st started. He kept repeating that our admin was out of their minds for not hiring him. On and off the court in terms of talking about UCONN- I like Welsh.

Reaction Score
Not Doris. She's one of the best ones.

Doris is awful. During this year;'s semis or finals she blurts out complaining about Kiah Stokes to paraphrase --

"Nobody guards her. They leave her open." What happens? Articles get written leading up to WNBA draft that "nobody guards her." In essence Doris is trashing her on tv for a statement completely false.

Two years ago in finals the 40+% 3pt shooter takes a three pt shot and another time she drives the lane and misses a five footer. Both times Doris criticizes MoJeff for taking the shots proclaiming to paraphrase - "that is not her game." Yeah right-- leaving a 40% 3pt shooter wide open which ND did- and MoJeff isn't allowed to shoot at all? And another time she gets in the lane and misses an easy floater but she isn't allowed to shoot? If open 3's and 5 foot floaters aren't part of her game it would have meant she was pretty awful player that year, wouldn't it? It's not like she was firing up 10-15 shots.

I still remember Doris saying something to the effect - regarding -----you could tell Kobe is a great player by just looking into his eyes.

Reaction Score
Doris is awful. During this year;'s semis or finals she blurts out complaining about Kiah Stokes to paraphrase --

"Nobody guards her. They leave her open." What happens? Articles get written leading up to WNBA draft that "nobody guards her." In essence Doris is trashing her on tv for a statement completely false.

Two years ago in finals the 40+% 3pt shooter takes a three pt shot and another time she drives the lane and misses a five footer. Both times Doris criticizes MoJeff for taking the shots proclaiming to paraphrase - "that is not her game." Yeah right-- leaving a 40% 3pt shooter wide open which ND did- and MoJeff isn't allowed to shoot at all? And another time she gets in the lane and misses an easy floater but she isn't allowed to shoot? If open 3's and 5 foot floaters aren't part of her game it would have meant she was pretty awful player that year, wouldn't it? It's not like she was firing up 10-15 shots.

I still remember Doris saying something to the effect - regarding -----you could tell Kobe is a great player by just looking into his eyes.

Doris obviously doesn't follow the women's game as much because during the regular season she is doing men's game and does a great job. I mean c'mon, people who do the women's game hardly understand the actual game of basketball sometime when I listen. Both she and the girl from Tennessee both do a wonderful job as color for the men's games and you are way off. Don't know about women's games because I haven't listened to her but just based on how she does with the men's games for the most part I find your opinion really hard to believe since the women's game is easier to describe.

Reaction Score
Joe D is The Voice for UCONN Basketball and Football.. He's not going anywhere... And I for one enjoy him... If you were a student back in the late 80's-early 90's you'd grow to know and love the guy... He's a staple of what UCONN athletics is all about... IMO, he, Baylock, and Geno (Auriemma) link us to what we've become over the last quarter century ( a little longer for Baylock)... they maintain that link from the past that, IMO, should never broken..

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Foe hoops, JD is fine. For football, he is awful....and can and should be replaced.

Reaction Score
Doris obviously doesn't follow the women's game as much because during the regular season she is doing men's game and does a great job. I mean c'mon, people who do the women's game hardly understand the actual game of basketball sometime when I listen. Both she and the girl from Tennessee both do a wonderful job as color for the men's games and you are way off. Don't know about women's games because I haven't listened to her but just based on how she does with the men's games for the most part I find your opinion really hard to believe since the women's game is easier to describe.

That's the point - she doesn't do the women's games -- so she goes off ripping a player like Stokes on Nat'l tv stating "noboy is guarding her." It's idiotic. . You're statement of other bad commentators I don't see as relevant. Why make it? We are talking if Doris is any good not whether others are any good.

By your own admission she doesn't follow the women's game. That says a lot.

And you didn't say I was wrong on either of my points as to the ignorance of her statements. These were just ones I remember. There were more. Many more. Which of the I cited did you not believe? If I can show either the quotes or point out when she said it in which you can listen to it-- what would that do for you?

She is a nice lady - but awful calling the game.

Reaction Score
Growing up with Joe D as the voice of the huskies on the radio I was fine with him, but in the past decade since I've been more of an adult, I do have a problem with him. I rarely listen on the radio but you'll notice him at games and it always reminds me of like a public access commentator. He is a lot better than "Boom goes the dynamite" guy, but its that type of thing. Just hearing his voice you know you are not listening to a professional game being called, so I understand what the OP was getting at.

Reaction Score
I'm embarrassed that this thread even exists due to the chance that Joe D. might see it. If you think he's a bad PBP guy, then your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. He does a great job, and I would never want to see him replaced.

Reaction Score
That's the point - she doesn't do the women's games -- so she goes off ripping a player like Stokes on Nat'l tv stating "noboy is guarding her." It's idiotic. . You're statement of other bad commentators I don't see as relevant. Why make it? We are talking if Doris is any good not whether others are any good.

By your own admission she doesn't follow the women's game. That says a lot.

And you didn't say I was wrong on either of my points as to the ignorance of her statements. These were just ones I remember. There were more. Many more. Which of the I cited did you not believe? If I can show either the quotes or point out when she said it in which you can listen to it-- what would that do for you?

She is a nice lady - but awful calling the game.

Again, awful calling a women's game I guess. Just can't see how she does a good if not really good job for men's NCAA games and even some NBA games and yet is not very good with a women's game. I guess she rubbed someone wrong buy daring to say something about the UConn women? Her and Lawson are both really good.

Reaction Score
hoophuskee said:
That's the point - she doesn't do the women's games -- so she goes off ripping a player like Stokes on Nat'l tv stating "noboy is guarding her." It's idiotic. . You're statement of other bad commentators I don't see as relevant. Why make it? We are talking if Doris is any good not whether others are any good. By your own admission she doesn't follow the women's game. That says a lot. And you didn't say I was wrong on either of my points as to the ignorance of her statements. These were just ones I remember. There were more. Many more. Which of the I cited did you not believe? If I can show either the quotes or point out when she said it in which you can listen to it-- what would that do for you? She is a nice lady - but awful calling the game.

Well, was anybody guarding her? Teams threw some junk defenses at KML and Stewart where supplemental players were left wide open. Happened with Jefferson all the time until she got better from three and then teams started paying more attention to her. It seems plausible to me that Stokes would have been left unguarded when she was out there as teams went to a triangle and two or used her defender to play a one man zone and forced her to beat them. It's not an insult to point out what the defense is doing.

I don't think I'd agree with the "not her game" comment about Jefferson without knowing the context. UConn needed Jefferson to develop her offensive game to keep defenses honest - once she turned the corner as a shooting threat, UConn became much harder to guard. But if she took a pull up three early in the shot clock without getting the team into offense, I'd be more inclined to agree with Doris that she was stepping outside her role.

Reaction Score
Growing up with Joe D as the voice of the huskies on the radio I was fine with him, but in the past decade since I've been more of an adult, I do have a problem with him. I rarely listen on the radio but you'll notice him at games and it always reminds me of like a public access commentator. He is a lot better than "Boom goes the dynamite" guy, but its that type of thing. Just hearing his voice you know you are not listening to a professional game being called, so I understand what the OP was getting at.

One of the aforementioned people who doesn't listen to many other college radio broadcasts . . .

Reaction Score
One of the aforementioned people who doesn't listen to many other college radio broadcasts . . .

sick burn, bro. I mentioned that I don't listen on the radio very often. Is it braggable to rely on radio broadcasts? Because I'm 100% not embarrassed to say that my first choice to enjoy a basketball game is to watch it rather than listen to the radio play by play. It's similar to the fact that to test the taste of a strawberry, I'd first choose to eat it, rather than listen to someone eat it and tell me what it was like

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
On a plus side, thank Jebus that 1080 smartened up by getting rid of Pastor Will and that awful afternoon show.
I like the traffic on the 8's to let me know of the I-91 BS I have to deal with every afternoon from Windsor to Cromwell.

I always kept the channel on when Joe D was doing the drive home.
Otherwise that show was unlistenable because it was a New Life Church convention for scared old people and the conservative fringe.
Apologies in advance if any of you are one of the above.

At least when Rowland was on you would get some perspective on how things worked in state government.
But he blew that gig.

Now that Joe and Joe are on it gives good competition to Rob Dibble who has a pretty damn good show going on 97.9.

Reaction Score
(1) Again, awful calling a women's game I guess. Just can't see how she does a good if not really good job for men's NCAA games and even some NBA games and yet is not very good with a women's game. (2) I guess she rubbed someone wrong buy daring to say something about the UConn women? (3) Her and Lawson are both really good.

(1) - She is awful calling women's games. Your "guess" is correct.

(2) - I thought you and I had an understanding that we weren't going to go at it on these boards - "women vs men?" Do you really want that over again? You know you can easily block me or ignore me in some manner. I like your posts on the men. So I'm not the one sticking it to the other in a personal manner. But you know I'm not a fan of the men's board here, right? So is that what you want -- you and I badgering each other?

(3) -- No--- Doris is terrible at women's basketball. By your own admission she doesn't watch the games much anymore. Thus is susceptible of making ignorant comments.

And I've guessed I've missed her further wizard-like analysis as she once proclaimed to paraphrase "you can tell Kobe Bryant is great just by the look in his eyes."

Reaction Score
(1) - She is awful calling women's games. Your "guess" is correct.

(2) - I thought you and I had an understanding that we weren't going to go at it on these boards - "women vs men?" Do you really want that over again? You know you can easily block me or ignore me in some manner. I like your posts on the men. So I'm not the one sticking it to the other in a personal manner. But you know I'm not a fan of the men's board here, right? So is that what you want -- you and I badgering each other?

(3) -- No--- Doris is terrible at women's basketball. By your own admission she doesn't watch the games much anymore. Thus is susceptible of making ignorant comments.

And I've guessed I've missed her further wizard-like analysis as she once proclaimed to paraphrase "you can tell Kobe Bryant is great just by the look in his eyes."

Agree to disagree but I will, as far as women's telecasts, take your word for it on Doris.

As far a "personal matter" I don't have one. Maybe others do with my opinion but as far as I'm concerned I'm a fan of both. Honesty just sucks worst in other places.

Reaction Score
That's the point - she doesn't do the women's games -- so she goes off ripping a player like Stokes on Nat'l tv stating "noboy is guarding her." It's idiotic.

This just seems like an overreaction from an overly sensitive fan of the Lady Huskies who thinks anything other than fawning adoration is unacceptable. Doris is great.

Reaction Score
was anybody guarding her? Teams threw some junk defenses at KML and Stewart where supplemental players were left wide open. Happened with Jefferson all the time until she got better from three and then teams started paying more attention to her. It seems plausible to me that Stokes would have been left unguarded when she was out there as teams went to a triangle and two or used her defender to play a one man zone and forced her to beat them. It's not an insult to point out what the defense is doing.

1--- If somebody is guarding her, then you agree it was ignorant comment, right?

2--- Why don't you take a look "if anyone was guarding" Stokes vs ND in Finals from about 9:12 mark Doris makes the comment of Stokes to parphrase - "Here is your problem with the lineup, they don't check Stokes at all." You can view this per the link below. Please view it from 9:12 to the 9:00 minute mark. All I'm asking you to do is to watch 12 seconds. Please tell me at about 9:02 to 9:00 how "wide open" Kiah Stokes is.

http://uconnhuskygames.com/2014-2015-womens-basketball-game-replays/

3--- I agree with you about MoJeff. I agree - when Stokes is away from the basket - I agree. But what happens when Stokes moves without the ball inside? Doris herself just minutes earlier spoke of Stokes as being "big" just after she SCORED a basket. BIG PLAYERS NEED TO BE GUARDED INSIDE WITH JUNK DEFENSES. Stokes was NOT being left alone INSIDE.

4-- With this - now Scouting Reports practically trashed her and someone like Doris's silly comments lend credence to the silly comments. You Don't leave BIG PLAYERS inside that have a decent capability of finishing.

Reaction Score
This just seems like an overreaction from an overly sensitive fan of the Lady Huskies who thinks anything other than fawning adoration is unacceptable. Doris is great.

This just sounds like someone who just feels a need to attack another poster that doesn't hold their pov.

I'll back off now.

I like mau a lot. We spoke a while back of not trashing each other's boards, men or women.

And I'll leave my post at that and won't address Doris Burke at all. on this thread any longer.

I wanted to get back to gurleyman on the MoJeff issue but don't want this thread turning into a fight. So I'll back off.

I am pumped for UCONN men this year. Though last year I thought we'd be good. Love the guards. Love the Miller pick-up. Love the experience.

Take care my friend- I won't fight this anymore on this thread.

Reaction Score
1--- If somebody is guarding her, then you agree it was ignorant comment, right?

2--- Why don't you take a look "if anyone was guarding" Stokes vs ND in Finals from about 9:12 mark Doris makes the comment of Stokes to parphrase - "Here is your problem with the lineup, they don't check Stokes at all." You can view this per the link below. Please view it from 9:12 to the 9:00 minute mark. All I'm asking you to do is to watch 12 seconds. Please tell me at about 9:02 to 9:00 how "wide open" Kiah Stokes is.

http://uconnhuskygames.com/2014-2015-womens-basketball-game-replays/

3--- I agree with you about MoJeff. I agree - when Stokes is away from the basket - I agree. But what happens when Stokes moves without the ball inside? Doris herself just minutes earlier spoke of Stokes as being "big" just after she SCORED a basket. BIG PLAYERS NEED TO BE GUARDED INSIDE WITH JUNK DEFENSES. Stokes was NOT being left alone INSIDE.

4-- With this - now Scouting Reports practically trashed her and someone like Doris's silly comments lend credence to the silly comments. You Don't leave BIG PLAYERS inside that have a decent capability of finishing.

Yeah, you're definitely not overreacting.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Joe D isn't Raf or Bilas, but it is a long way from him to bad. Basketball play-by-play is hard and Joe paints a picture about as well as anyone.

I think Doris is always prepared and professional and a nice alternative to some of the jocular jocks who don't do their homework. I do not think she shows up for women's games (or girls' if she has ever done that :cool: ) without being prepared.
My wife, on the other hand, can't stand Doris. Sounds to "know-it all-ish" for her

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Alright, it's very clear that I owe an apology. I'm sorry for posting this. Dumb post, inappropriate, rude to Joe D and the fans that love him and just a plain waste of time for everyone. I've learned my lesson and deserved the unanimous scolding. My sincere apologies.

Hopefully we can move on and nobody has to see this dumb thread anymore.

Go Huskies!
Apologize to Joe. Next time you see him thrust out your hand and be meek and tell him what you did here.

Reaction Score
Joe D isn't Raf or Bilas, but it is a long way from him to bad. Basketball play-by-play is hard and Joe paints a picture about as well as anyone.

I think Doris is always prepared and professional and a nice alternative to some of the jocular jocks who don't do their homework. I do not think she shows up for women's games (or girls' if she has ever done that :cool: ) without being prepared.
My wife, on the other hand, can't stand Doris. Sounds to "know-it all-ish" for her

I get this from your wife and the reason is simple. Compared to most of the women color announcers she does know it all, it really is that simple. She can break down a play or game while the others rarely even go there. It is what it is right, hoophuskee has an opinion as much as we do and the fact she does less and less women's games due to her significance in the men's game now, may allow her to miss a beat or 2 from less experience? Who knows but she's really come a long way.

Reaction Score
I have to confess, I frequently mute the TV and turn on radio to hear Joe D call the came. Even with being out of synch he is much better than many of the TV announcers we were stuck with last year (CBSSN).

And who can't like "Boatright comes off a Nolan screen at the top of the key. Tricky dribbles to the left, fakes, puts up a three, (pause) and its Gooooood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom