• Agreed, he is the worst of the worst.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • No, I'm a glutton for torture.

Votes: 75 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember this guy I used to work with who b1tched about his secretary non-stop. After a year of this, the head boss says, fine, I'll get you another one. They -can the old one, and the guy gets to interview her replacement candidates. He eventually chooses one. 1 month later, it's clear the new one is substantially worse than the old one. Not getting her work done. He goes back to his head boss, who says, "tough. If she's not doing the work, you put in extra time and do it."

All expressions of "we should get rid of so-and-so" should be accompanied by a statement as to whom, exactly, will fill the void.

Joe D is awesome, as a fan and as an announcer.

Reaction Score
Not Doris. She's one of the best ones.

shes good at what she does, she knows the game, i just cant stand her and her voice but i respect her. They need to get younger more alive people doing games. Nothing against mike patrick and doris burke but they dont exactly make the game more exciting. If ur gonna have doris fine, but have a color guy like gus johnson.

Watch a hockey game and listen to how the announcers add to the excitement and enjoyment of the game. Mike Patrick puts me to bed

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Option 3 should be on the poll: OP is clueless.
Listen to any of the following: Yankees Radio Broadcasts, Red Sox Radio Broadcasts, White Sox Radio Broadcasts, or LA Dodgers Radio Broadcasts. With the lone exception of Vin Scully in LA, listening to the other 3 is the equivalent of ice picks stuck in your ears. (I'm a Yankees fan from way back to the Frank Messer, Bill White, Phil Rizutto days, and I'd rather endure the clown show on Boston than listen to Susyn Waldman. Better the poison you only hear a few times a year than the one that is poured in your ear every game.) SF has a good broadcast crew, but they are bigger homers than Joe D ever was or will be.
The reality is the OP is either a troll, a moron, or both. Poe's law incarnate.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
shes good at what she does, she knows the game, i just cant stand her and her voice but i respect her. They need to get younger more alive people doing games. Nothing against mike patrick and doris burke but they dont exactly make the game more exciting. If ur gonna have doris fine, but have a color guy like gus johnson.

Watch a hockey game and listen to how the announcers add to the excitement and enjoyment of the game. Mike Patrick puts me to bed
i actually enjoy her voice... espn needs to get rid of elmore and patrick... being in the big east it was almost guaranteed we'd be having bilas and raf... they do need better commentators but not for the sake of adding... dont need any like gus johnson, but people who know the sport very well and dont just talk for the sake of talking and yelling

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm probably opening myself up to criticism here, but I'm not a huge fan of Joe D. He's not awful, but besides the association between his voice and UConn basketball, I would have no issue with moving on. I also very rarely listen to UConn games on the radio, so I don't really care if he stays. I guess I'm just spoiled, as growing up a Mets fan I've been listening to Gary Cohen and Howie Rose, two Hall of Fame calibur broadcasters.

Reaction Score
While working in operations in Gampel I almost unplugged him while he was still doing his post game recap. I never seen that dude move so fast! I should have, he was a dick to the ops crew.

Reaction Score
George Ehrlich is the voice of UConn basketball.

Joe D is the new voice and he is fine. While he has some shortcomings during broadcasts we are lucky to have someone who supports the university and is a solid radio voice with good knowledge. He and Wayne are a good team and probably one of the best in the industry as far as college programs.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
@mlz01...a huge swing and a miss here.

Amateur mistake. Its okay.

Reaction Score
@mlz01...a huge swing and a miss here.

Amateur mistake. Its okay.

That would depend on the goal of my post. 30%+ seem to agree with me so far and my only intention was understanding if I was alone in my opinion. Clearly the majority of BYers like Joe D and although I'm surprised, that's good news for you all as I don't think he's going anywhere.

I guess this post did come across as "trollish" and the negative comments are deserved as it was a negative post, but that's fine. Boards are for opinion sharing, right?

Know this, as an employee of UCONN Athletics for 4 years, with many experiences and interactions with Joe D (of which the majority of BYers have not had), what ElPresidente said is 100% true. If he's "one of us" and the great "voice of the Huskies"... he could use a lesson from Geno on how to treat Athletic staff members.

Reaction Score
The OP is the armed robber who gets shot and dies. Joe D. is one of the best. Love Wayne also.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
That would depend on the goal of my post. 30%+ seem to agree with me so far and my only intention was understanding if I was alone in my opinion. Clearly the majority of BYers like Joe D and although I'm surprised, that's good news for you all as I don't think he's going anywhere.

I guess this post did come across as "trollish" and the negative comments are deserved as it was a negative post, but that's fine. Boards are for opinion sharing, right?

Know this, as an employee of UCONN Athletics for 4 years, with many experiences and interactions with Joe D (of which the majority of BYers have not had), what ElPresidente said is 100% true. If he's "one of us" and the great "voice of the Huskies"... he could use a lesson from Geno on how to treat Athletic staff members.

Wow just wow, you really are as stupid as you come across.

I work with some real d!cks, people that with a word or letter can ruin a career. One thing I tell the post-docs and grad students is it is best that learn to either get along with them or at least keep their distaste for them private. It's not that hard and being on the good side of a Nobel Laureate will open doors far away from the object of your disdain. It's one thing to share opinions in private, but when you broadcast it, then what goes around, comes around.

One thing you might consider, and seeing your post here it is a real possibility, is that you're no peach yourself. You know, pot, kettle, the color black and all. Perhaps you should learn that it is better to remain silent and thought to be a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Reaction Score
doris burke is awesome at her role in the nba, probably one of the best ever to do that (sideline reporter). she is defintely an above average 'analyst' when she does her homework, she's been around the game for some time

Reaction Score
I'm probably opening myself up to criticism here, but I'm not a huge fan of Joe D. He's not awful, but besides the association between his voice and UConn basketball, I would have no issue with moving on. I also very rarely listen to UConn games on the radio, so I don't really care if he stays. I guess I'm just spoiled, as growing up a Mets fan I've been listening to Gary Cohen and Howie Rose, two Hall of Fame calibur broadcasters.

I agree. I think if the OP hadn't phrased the poll answers the way he did more people would perhaps agree. I only listen to Joe D for about an hour or so each year(football and basketball), and as far as college announcers go he's solid, but he's far from being beyond reproach.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Joe D is a UConn legend. Period.

There are very few people outside of our former athletes and coaches who you can say make you think of UConn when you see or hear them. People like Big Red and Dale Nosel. Joe D is among them in the top 3. He is to UConn what John Sterling is to the Yankees or Johnny Most was to the Celtics.

Stupid thread...

Reaction Score
Of announcers for local college hoops broadcasts, he's on of the best, even among major college teams. I think anyone disagreeing hasn't listened to many other college broadcasters. He's not nearly as good on the football side.

Reaction Score
why is this thread this here?
Connecticut guys doing UCONN hoops. I love the fact they openly root for us. Has Doris Burke come up for air yet? She is the reason the TV has a MUTE button.

Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous thread. One of the worsts, and we know there are some bad ones. Joe D is UConn. Case closed. Be thankful he never left for a bigger gig like Mike Gorman. Enjoy the summer day. No more trolling please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom