• Agreed, he is the worst of the worst.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • No, I'm a glutton for torture.

Votes: 75 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I go way back.....back to the days of Arnold Dean. The Dean was a true professional and, in my view, set the standard for WTIC-land sports broadcasting. Joe has never reached that level. I have always been bothered by his poor grammar. But, has become The Voice of the Huskies and forever associated with the many great moments he has described to us.
So, while he's no Dean, he's our guy.

Reaction Score
Not Doris. She's one of the best ones.
Doris is very knowledgeable and does a nice job as the color commentator, though I really like Kara Lawson even though she was a Tenn Volunteer. I can't understand why anyone would not like Joe D, particularly for hoops.

There are a lot of commentators and analysts that make calls that you simply scratch your head and wonder what the heck were they watching. I major pet peeve of mine is when even after watching a replay and clearly realizing they must be wrong, some continue to beat their delusional perceptions of what went on. I'm sure you all know what I'm taking about. Claiming that the player was man-handled when the defender gets all ball or vise versa. I can't tell you how many times I have yelled at my TV for the person to just "Shut the h*ll up!" Okay, done with that rant. :mad:

Now don't get me started with refs and umpires now-a-days watching video and then clearly getting the call wrong. That seems to be happening way too much. Unless they're not seeing the same replays that we do on TV, there's something seriously wrong with the process or these officials. I'm a proponent of instant replay, though wish they'd execute it more quickly, but please for the love of **** get it right!

Reaction Score
I met him once at an event, Wayne is the man and a much needed balance to Joe's histrionics.
I've met Wayne as well. He's a real nice guy who seems always willing to engage with fans. I've never met Joe D, but have heard he's not comfortable engaging with fans. Nonetheless, he's a heck of an announcer.

Reaction Score
That would depend on the goal of my post. 30%+ seem to agree with me so far and my only intention was understanding if I was alone in my opinion. Clearly the majority of BYers like Joe D and although I'm surprised, that's good news for you all as I don't think he's going anywhere.

I guess this post did come across as "trollish" and the negative comments are deserved as it was a negative post, but that's fine. Boards are for opinion sharing, right?

Know this, as an employee of UCONN Athletics for 4 years, with many experiences and interactions with Joe D (of which the majority of BYers have not had), what ElPresidente said is 100% true. If he's "one of us" and the great "voice of the Huskies"... he could use a lesson from Geno on how to treat Athletic staff members.
I've heard from more than one that Joe D can be a bit standoffish...some used stronger words, so maybe that has tainted your perception of him as an announcer, of which he's a pretty damn good one.

Reaction Score
I go way back.....back to the days of Arnold Dean. The Dean was a true professional and, in my view, set the standard for WTIC-land sports broadcasting. Joe has never reached that level. I have always been bothered by his poor grammar. But, has become The Voice of the Huskies and forever associated with the many great moments he has described to us.
So, while he's no Dean, he's our guy.

Arnold was a true gentleman and a worthy talk show host, legendary at WTIC. But he was never a "UConn" guy per se having graduated from the Cuse I believe but he tried like heck. He wasn't very knowledgeable about much to do with sports to be quite honest and that never allowed him to be anything more than what he was. Great guy though, remember the shows at "Coaches"!

Reaction Score
It has been almost a quarter century since I moved from CT. Just hearing Joe's voice reminds me instantly about the BEST aspects of HOME! Its something many won't appreciate until its gone. I'm encouraged to see the appreciation that he generates among most of you!!!

Reaction Score
I'm probably opening myself up to criticism here, but I'm not a huge fan of Joe D. He's not awful, but besides the association between his voice and UConn basketball, I would have no issue with
Agree with this completely. I think he's an okay announcer, but don't feel he's great like a lot of people on here.

Either way, I'm not getting myself worked up over a play-by-play guy like the OP.

Reaction Score
From our perspective what Joe and Wayne do at the games is a fun ride with great seats, from theirs it's work, which I'm sure they like mostly. Sat across from him at a golf outing one time and he was fine but I'm sure under the right circumstances he could be surly. People we think we know from media exposure, well we really don't know them.

Reaction Score
Joe D is the least of the UConn athletic departments worries. When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought Joe D did something or said something controversial as a reason why somebody would say he "must go". I like him as a play by play guy. Basketball is probably the hardest sport to broadcast on the radio because of the constant action and Joe does a really good job. As far as him being a homer...you can hear the excitement in his voice after a big play or win but I never heard him openly rooting for UConn during any broadcast. Even though the people listening to a game on WTIC are 99.999% UConn fans anyway, I think hes very professional when it comes to broadcasting down the middle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not participating in a survey with opinions written as they were.

What we have is "guud!"

After voicing national championships, Joe D belongs. I think he walks the line between fond of the players, but not a terrible homer. It comes out when the refs are poor (meaning pretty often).

Color could be better, but the argument is the same for Wayno. He was there when UConn came of age.

Rick Peckham still is the voice of the Whalers to me. I heard him broadcast a TV game and instantly felt nostalgic.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That would depend on the goal of my post. 30%+ seem to agree with me so far and my only intention was understanding if I was alone in my opinion. Clearly the majority of BYers like Joe D and although I'm surprised, that's good news for you all as I don't think he's going anywhere.

I guess this post did come across as "trollish" and the negative comments are deserved as it was a negative post, but that's fine. Boards are for opinion sharing, right?

Know this, as an employee of UCONN Athletics for 4 years, with many experiences and interactions with Joe D (of which the majority of BYers have not had), what ElPresidente said is 100% true. If he's "one of us" and the great "voice of the Huskies"... he could use a lesson from Geno on how to treat Athletic staff members.

30% relates to the low number of total votes because many who disagree with you have done so by commenting rather than voting. If your 'disagree' option had been worded, "No, we like Joe D. and don't think too highly of the OP" (and that's phrasing it more graciously than you did), I think you'd see a similar number votes for your position, but a smaller percentage.

So I get that he hasn't been so nice to you. That's a different post altogether, maybe something that knocks him off the pedestal a bit, perhaps akin to saying that JC yelled profanities at his players during games and at volumes that fans could hear. That would have been a shared opinion; your poll, not so much.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The only thing you can accuse Joe D of being is a homer (and I don't think that that's a bad thing). But, he knows his college hoops, and when I listen to his call, I feel like I'm watching the game on TV. I completely disagree with the OP. Joe D is a talent.

I enjoy announcers who are homers. I cite Tom Heinsohn.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I volunteer to personally run this poster through the car wash with their mouth open. Joe D and Wayne are great.

Reaction Score
Know this, as an employee of UCONN Athletics for 4 years, with many experiences and interactions with Joe D (of which the majority of BYers have not had), what ElPresidente said is 100% true.

So wait, this bias has nothing to do with his job as a play by play announcer but because he hurt your feelings (or a friend's feelings) a few times over a 4 year period? Call his mom...

His voice is synonymous with UConn Athletics.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not participating in a survey with opinions written as they were.

What we have is "guud!"

After voicing national championships, Joe D belongs. I think he walks the line between fond of the players, but not a terrible homer. It comes out when the refs are poor (meaning pretty often).

Color could be better, but the argument is the same for Wayno. He was there when UConn came of age.

Rick Peckham still is the voice of the Whalers to me. I heard him broadcast a TV game and instantly felt nostalgic.

I like Joe and Wayne but as bad as the Whalers were Chuck and Rick were off the charts.

Reaction Score
Because OP is a troll.
I'm really commenting on the two ridiculous options. How can someone support anyone vote the way this imbecile worded those choices. I think he went to U Ranus.

Reaction Score
This is the first time I've replied to a thread without reading the whole thing. Joe D is awesome.

Reaction Score
Letsgohuskies11 said:
shes good at what she does, she knows the game, i just cant stand her and her voice but i respect her. They need to get younger more alive people doing games. Nothing against mike patrick and doris burke but they dont exactly make the game more exciting. If ur gonna have doris fine, but have a color guy like gus johnson. Watch a hockey game and listen to how the announcers add to the excitement and enjoyment of the game. Mike Patrick puts me to bed

Doris is one of the more informed announcers. Different strokes for different husky folks I guess but she calls a great game IMO.

Reaction Score
I like Joe doing the games, the afternoon talk show with the URI guy not so much.

Reaction Score
Never had a problem with Joe D - like many here have said, he's been the voice of UConn hoops of this era.

Reaction Score
Alright, it's very clear that I owe an apology. I'm sorry for posting this. Dumb post, inappropriate, rude to Joe D and the fans that love him and just a plain waste of time for everyone. I've learned my lesson and deserved the unanimous scolding. My sincere apologies.

Hopefully we can move on and nobody has to see this dumb thread anymore.

Go Huskies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32