Jim Delaney pops the expansion balloon | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jim Delaney pops the expansion balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't want to sound like I am taking a dump on your history argument. I feel that UConn and its fans should appreciate that fact that our history brought us to this point in our athletic program's history. However, that history does not matter to anyone outside of this state. It is just a fact, and there is no getting around it.

The history that matters is made playing at the highest levels. UConn was not playing at this level until they started playing FBS football. Whether we like it or not, that is just the fact. No one who visits this board from time to time says anything but "you are a young program." They are right. In the eyes of the schools who played at this level, we are a young program and there is no getting around it. Our storied history with local colleges whom we have surpassed in stature and athletic success is only a reminder of how far we have come, but not one that is going to scream "we've arrived" (I know, Rutger's history is little more than a cruel joke, but they have the good fortune of being close to NYC apparently).

History, the history that matters that is, is made by the teams that have been competing and growing in the national conscience for a century. The history that matters is the history Ohio State, PSU, Bama, and a host of others have. The kind that builds tradition and success at the highest level and inspires 100,000 people in attendance followings. The kind of tradition that inspires people to tailgate three days before gameday, and never leave the stands before the final whistle. Our basketball teams growing into national powers in the late 80's into the 90's and today is a good example of the history that matters.

Our "history" began in 2002 and it is on us now to build this history, to kick ass and take names, and for the fans to call for wholesale firings in the athletic department when UConn doesn't beat a MAC school by 49, so when color video highlights are viewed as "grainy black and white footage" relics we have a whole host of it to show at a Rentscheler field holding 80,000. That kind of history is what will make the rest of the nation take notice.

I agree on the history thing... But, for those that were with Uconn when they beat Yale for the first time, I've heard it was a pretty big deal. While Uconn didn't play big-time football until recently, big-time college football in CT is not new.

Doesn't get any bigger in 1920's than Yale-Army. That's a packed stadium (60K plus).

il_570xN.408576316_10s9.jpg

Reaction Score
I know im going to take a lot of heat on this but I always thought college football in the northeast will never be what it is in the south. Weather is a big factor with that and I dont think 40,000 people want to go to The Rent and sit on metal bleachers on a 35 degree night in November. I know its chilly in Michigan, South Bend, and Pennsylvania but those are all football schools and they have been for decades. UConn will always be known as a basketball school and it will still be like that even if we won a BCS bowl for the next 5 years. Unfortunately, I think thats what it has to take in order for people in this state to take UConn football seriously.

Per my previous post, the foundation of big-time college football was built in the northeast. If Yale can fill a stadium in 1920, uconn with success can fill an expanded Rentschler. Do not discount winning or success in this state.

Connecticut fans do have a reputation of being fair-weather for a reason.

Reaction Score
Fans turnout for pats, giants and jets in outdoor stadiums with same weather elements. If we become a top 25 to 35 programs people will come. Should we ever get to top 25 for a multi year period u will see 40k+ be the norm at the rent. Winning consistently will bring the crowds out. Now will they be in their seats at the start? That I cannot say.
and will they tail-gate properly as well? last thing we need is to build a fan base that can't tail-gate properly.

Reaction Score
Tradition is having 4 generations of alumni planning entire fall weekends around the football game. Weather, opponent, or economy be damned.

We don't have it yet. Only 11 graduating classes have ever seen a game at the Rent as a student. Max total around 50,000 people. B1G schools have ten times that and we outdraw some B1G schools already. Support isn't the problem, the cake just isn't fully baked yet.

An on-campus stadium adds a homecoming twist to the games and allows students to roll out of bed ar 11am for a noon game. It is not absolutely necessary to build a FB traditional.

Tradition can also be built on the field by being ranked and beating ranked teams. That is where we should focus and that is where we've fallen down since the team took the field in the Fiesta Bowl.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
perfectly said. it takes generations to get where some of the SEC/Big10 schools are.

Reaction Score
I agree on the history thing... But, for those that were with Uconn when they beat Yale for the first time, I've heard it was a pretty big deal. While Uconn didn't play big-time football until recently, big-time college football in CT is not new.

Doesn't get any bigger in 1920's than Yale-Army. That's a packed stadium (60K plus).

To say that UConn has NO history is incorrect. It would behoove us to emphasize it for sure. It certainly cannot hurt. However, that stadium is packed with 60,000+ in the 1920's, and sadly, on a good day, we can barely get 30,000 in Rentscheler. That is the fundamental problem. Army-Yale at that time were major players on the national stage. UConn is not regarded nationally in this way. We can built that history, and yes, a successful and nationally relevant program will work wonders. Just compare the fan intensity for basketball and football at UConn for the obvious example.

Our history is not looked at in the same way as the history of schools like Notre Dame or Texas. They are schools that played big-time national championship football throughout the history of the sport. UConn's best avenue for appealing to outside areas of the country is growing now. The schools that have a national pulse are those which either you love or hate. Alabama for instance, or ND for a better example. They generate the coverage, and eyeballs. UConn's men's basketball team does this well. You either are a fan of UConn or actively want to see them lose. Love them or hate them, people watch them.

UConn more than it's history, needs to emphasize the passion that this fanbase does have. Our basketball teams are followed with a passion that is not rivaled by very many fanbases. Expanding our football program, and garnering real national success at the highest level will be the key. CT has shown that is cares about big-time athletics. Seriously, name a state that has as many competing virulent rooting rivalries (Red Sox-Yankees, Patriots-Jets/Giants; Celtics-Knicks) and passion, as Connecticut. This state turns out (sadly, it usually requires national relevance to really generate the fan interest though).

Some of the right steps are being taken. We are already excited about Michigan coming several months from now, and we're already talking about BYU and Boise State. Marquee, big-time football is what gets the people excited. Just getting these teams to come here is big, the next step is winning those games, and building a tradition of success. That in the end will make up for any negative national perception of Connecticut as a football state.

Reaction Score
I don't want to sound like I am taking a dump on your history argument. I feel that UConn and its fans should appreciate that fact that our history brought us to this point in our athletic program's history. However, that history does not matter to anyone outside of this state. It is just a fact, and there is no getting around it.

The history that matters is made playing at the highest levels. UConn was not playing at this level until they started playing FBS football. Whether we like it or not, that is just the fact. No one who visits this board from time to time says anything but "you are a young program." They are right. In the eyes of the schools who played at this level, we are a young program and there is no getting around it. Our storied history with local colleges whom we have surpassed in stature and athletic success is only a reminder of how far we have come, but not one that is going to scream "we've arrived" (I know, Rutger's history is little more than a cruel joke, but they have the good fortune of being close to NYC apparently).

History, the history that matters that is, is made by the teams that have been competing and growing in the national conscience for a century. The history that matters is the history Ohio State, PSU, Bama, and a host of others have. The kind that builds tradition and success at the highest level and inspires 100,000 people in attendance followings. The kind of tradition that inspires people to tailgate three days before gameday, and never leave the stands before the final whistle. Our basketball teams growing into national powers in the late 80's into the 90's and today is a good example of the history that matters.

Our "history" began in 2002 and it is on us now to build this history, to kick ass and take names, and for the fans to call for wholesale firings in the athletic department when UConn doesn't beat a MAC school by 49, so when color video highlights are viewed as "grainy black and white footage" relics we have a whole host of it to show at a Rentscheler field holding 80,000. That kind of history is what will make the rest of the nation take notice.

Hey Durks,

Do you even know your own school's football history? Arte you not aware that UCONN football historically is much more embarrassing than Rutgers' history?

UCONN has a lifetime losing percentage. RU at least has won more games than it has lost.
Rutgers has had more winning seasons than losing seasons. UCONN cannot say the same.
UCONN has more overall losses than Rutgers.

I get such a kick out of UCONN fans that don't even know that their football program has sucked more than Rutgers...yet they take swipes at RU as having a dismal history (obviously not aware that their own is far worse.)

RU is also like 22-11 against UCONN. Why would you even go there with the history crack?

If Rutgers football is little more than a cruel joke, than what does that say of UCONN's history? Get back to me when you reach .500 all-time.

Reaction Score
Hey Durks,

Do you even know your own school's football history? Arte you not aware that UCONN football historically is much more embarrassing than Rutgers' history?

UCONN has a lifetime losing percentage. RU at least has won more games than it has lost.
Rutgers has had more winning seasons than losing seasons. UCONN cannot say the same.

I get such a kick out of UCONN fans that don't even know that their football program has sucked more than Rutgers...yet they take swipes at RU as having a dismal history (obviously not aware that their own is far worse.)

RU is also like 22-11 against UCONN. Why would you even go there with the history crack?

If Rutgers football is little more than a cruel joke, than what does that say of UCONN's history? Get back to me when you reach .500 all-time.
What's a BCS bowl like bud?

Reaction Score
To say that UConn has NO history is incorrect. It would behoove us to emphasize it for sure. It certainly cannot hurt. However, that stadium is packed with 60,000+ in the 1920's, and sadly, on a good day, we can barely get 30,000 in Rentscheler. That is the fundamental problem. Army-Yale at that time were major players on the national stage. UConn is not regarded nationally in this way. We can built that history, and yes, a successful and nationally relevant program will work wonders. Just compare the fan intensity for basketball and football at UConn for the obvious example.

Our history is not looked at in the same way as the history of schools like Notre Dame or Texas. They are schools that played big-time national championship football throughout the history of the sport. UConn's best avenue for appealing to outside areas of the country is growing now. The schools that have a national pulse are those which either you love or hate. Alabama for instance, or ND for a better example. They generate the coverage, and eyeballs. UConn's men's basketball team does this well. You either are a fan of UConn or actively want to see them lose. Love them or hate them, people watch them.

UConn more than it's history, needs to emphasize the passion that this fanbase does have. Our basketball teams are followed with a passion that is not rivaled by very many fanbases. Expanding our football program, and garnering real national success at the highest level will be the key. CT has shown that is cares about big-time athletics. Seriously, name a state that has as many competing virulent rooting rivalries (Red Sox-Yankees, Patriots-Jets/Giants; Celtics-Knicks) and passion, as Connecticut. This state turns out (sadly, it usually requires national relevance to really generate the fan interest though).

Some of the right steps are being taken. We are already excited about Michigan coming several months from now, and we're already talking about BYU and Boise State. Marquee, big-time football is what gets the people excited. Just getting these teams to come here is big, the next step is winning those games, and building a tradition of success. That in the end will make up for any negative national perception of Connecticut as a football state.
Keep in mind that in 1920 pro football was small potatoes compared to college football. Plus people couldn't go home and watch any of a dozen games on their HDTV. They had to go to a stadium to watch a game. The environment was totally different then.

Reaction Score
Hey Durks,

Rutgers is a whopping approximately 20 games above .500 over 100+ years and UConn is approximately 20 games under .500. Rutgers has 600+ losses, while UConn has 500+ losses. What's in the water in NJ?

For a school that claims they invented football, I would have to say Rutgers easily has the more embarrassing history. , Princeton mauled you duck*ers.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that in 1920 pro football was small potatoes compared to college football. Plus people couldn't go home and watch any of a dozen games on their HDTV. They had to go to a stadium to watch a game. The environment was totally different then.
Pro football was perceived as how wrasslin' is now. Regardless, the NFL sure did lure some elite athletes in the 1920s. My favorite era of NFL history. :D

Joseph Carr was a crazy, crazy man as a commissioner. And his team sucked.

Reaction Score
Hey Durks,

I suppose that we go there with the "history crack" because a fan base congratulating itself over winning 26 more games than it has lost over the period of 140 years is something I hope we never become..

Congratulations on being "like" 22-11 against UConn. Its the mark of historical greatness to not lose many games against an opponent who was playing at a lower level for most of their history. Its hard for me to get excited about that sort of accomplishment, so you'll have to excuse my sarcasm here. As a fan of sports, I have a hard time being proud that my team didn't fail to do what they were supposed to do more often than not. But hey, that's just me.

In 140 years, Rutgers has successfully qualified for 8 bowl games. Well done? In the 13 years UConn has played at the FBS level, they have qualified for 5. I'm no math expert, but that's a pretty dismal ratio comparatively. Most other programs could be Rutgers playing a man down on both sides of the ball. It actually takes more skill to fail that consistently that often than it does to succeed.

It also stands to reason that a historically superior program would at the very least have managed to win more big east titles than UConn in the additional 14 years they were in the Big East. Yet, somehow they couldn't even manage that. But hey, you're Rutgers, so it is unfair of us to expect anything.

We managed to do more with 13 years than your program has done in 140. Honestly, how are you even surprised or wonder why we laugh at your history and overall athletic department? What do you guys actually do well? Anyway, I'm glad you pointed some of these things out. Honestly, after thinking about it, a "cruel joke" may have been a little kind. A "sick, pathetic joke" is seems far more appropriate.

Reaction Score
This board is like crack to a crackhead for buggsy. He really wants to stay away, but when, he sees it, he just can't walk away.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hey Durks,

There's nothing more embarrassing than Rutgers' athletics, sweetpea.

What's the big on-field moment Rutgers' fans talk about when they get together? What's the big win?

So hard to figure out what it is - there's just nothing in the trophy case.

Maybe it was a regular season basketball win? Didja beat Syracuse or something on your way to an NIT bid? Maybe it's that Texas Bowl thing? It's not an NCAA game (you don't play those) and it's not a BCS bowl (you don't play those either)....boy, must make for some tortured bar room chatter.

Maybe you could have a trophy made up? Maybe have a replica of the state of Maryland mounted to a trophy with the words "Plus 1!" engraved on it? Might be your finest, fleeting moment.

Such an empty history - it's heart-wrenching that your sole source of pride is that it's a long empty history.

:( <-- You.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
There's nothing more embarrassing than Rutgers' athletics, sweetpea.

What's the big on-field moment Rutgers' fans talk about when they get together? What's the big win?

So hard to figure out what it is - there's just nothing in the trophy case.

Maybe it was a regular season basketball win? Didja beat Syracuse or something on your way to an NIT bid? Maybe it's that Texas Bowl thing? It's not an NCAA game (you don't play those) and it's not a BCS bowl (you don't play those either)....boy, must make for some tortured bar room chatter.

Maybe you could have a trophy made up? Maybe have a replica of the state of Maryland mounted to a trophy with the words "Plus 1!" engraved on it? Might be your finest, fleeting moment.

Such an empty history - it's heart-wrenching that your sole source of pride is that it's a long empty history.

:( <-- You.
*Clap Clap*

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
An oldie but a goodie on RU's tradition:

PT-AM951_colleg_G_20091104190244.jpg

Overheard at the Princeton game:

"By jove old fellow those New Brunswick fellows really suck, do they not?"
"Quite. Why they could go for 143 years and never win a championship."
"Hah, hah... just so, just so."

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You don't need to go back to the 1920s. I used to go the Yale-Harvard games in the 1980s and the Bowl was filled.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's pretty high - it's like way, way into the double digits.

Reaction Score

Actually, the Yale Bowl used to hold 72,000 for most of it's years and in the late 60's (can you say Calvin Hill and Brian Dowling) and for any Harvard games used to pack them in. A few years ago as part of a restoration project they removed all the wooden bleachers that were located around the top of the Bowl which reduced the capacity to 61,000. My father told me that as a kid they used to put wooden bleachers in the end zones of the Bowl for the Harvard games that brought the attendance up to around 76,000.

Reaction Score
Actually, the Yale Bowl used to hold 72,000 for most of it's years and in the late 60's (can you say Calvin Hill and Brian Dowling) and for any Harvard games used to pack them in. A few years ago as part of a restoration project they removed all the wooden bleachers that were located around the top of the Bowl which reduced the capacity to 61,000. My father told me that as a kid they used to put wooden bleachers in the end zones of the Bowl for the Harvard games that brought the attendance up to around 76,000.

Not for nothing, and this discussion has made me think about it, wouldn't it be a great experience to have a deal with Yale for UConn to play a few games at the Yale Bowl (a game probably against Yale itself probably has to be included, but I'm thinking trying to schedule a game against a high-profile opponent who might enjoy the atmosphere)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom