Jim Delaney pops the expansion balloon | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jim Delaney pops the expansion balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Lack of fans.

Even when we were winning 8 games a year and splitting BE Championships, we had trouble packing a 40,000 person stadium. Ask most local Connecticut residents about UConn Football and their eyes glaze over.

I don't know what we need to do to get more butts in the seat, but until we have that, nothing else is going to matter.

Winning 10 games a year against teams not named Buffalo, Rhode Island, Maine, or Texas Southern.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Winning 10 games a year against teams not named Buffalo, Rhode Island, Maine, or Texas Southern.

If they need to win 10 games a year against FBS teams to draw 40k just shut it down because there are 5 programs that consistently do that.

For everyone had a hard-on for Michigan coming. They don't win like that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah! You've convinced me too. Especially if we can go back to those people who might have been willing to pony up for an expansion after the BCS game with Oklahoma. Everyone on this board called out Rutgers for expanding their stadium. Were unmerciful to them. Look where it got them.
No where,however, parts on North Jersey being more densely populated than India got them a B1G invite.

Reaction Score
If they need to win 10 games a year against FBS teams to draw 40k just shut it down because there are 5 programs that consistently do that.

For everyone had a hard-on for Michigan coming. They don't win like that.

The culture has a lot to do with it. In the state of Michigan for example, growing up the question is "UM or MSU" everyone has a side, everyone is a fan from an early age because college sports simply matter more. As New Englanders the culture is all pro-oriented and the question is "Sox or Yankees." I didn't care about college sports until I went to college and I think that is common in the northeast.

It is just a different sport culture. This is why Michigan football is always going to out-draw the Detroit Lions. Even if a NE school like UConn or BCU was in the title hunt I don't think they would even steal talk radio time from the Pats/Jets/Giants!! (see Matt Ryan years, 2010 Fiesta Bowl)

Lets be honest to the fact that general lack of interest is what is kept us out of the CR party. Maybe it is because our FB is so young? Anyone "growing up" a UConn FB fan still can't get into a rated R movie. Even though we have been a decent program, building tradition and growing a fan base takes decades.

The most frustrating thing about CR is that it goes against the old adage that winning fixes everything. We are more successful that most of the power conference schools (see the 5 schools with more basketball NCs, 30 schools with more BCS appearances). Louisville got the ACC big not only because they are in a slightly better spot at the moment compared to Cincy and UConn but the following that 'ville football has is more valuable than the combined 3 BCS games and sub 35k attendance from the UC's.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

Lack of fans.

Even when we were winning 8 games a year and splitting BE Championships, we had trouble packing a 40,000 person stadium. Ask most local Connecticut residents about UConn Football and their eyes glaze over.

I don't know what we need to do to get more butts in the seat, but until we have that, nothing else is going to matter.

I tend to agree. Yes UCONN has had success lately with the NFL draft but in reality this program has a long way to go. The Fiesta Bowl proved that. Oklahoma is the Big Time and UCONN could not match up. If the Huskies want to be in this class then some major lobbying needs to happen at the Capital for any investment in the Rent and a full scale statewide market campaign needs to take place now touting UCONN as the state university and make the people aware of UCONN sports especially in Fairfield County. From previous posts outside of few areas the UCONN brand is not marketed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The culture has a lot to do with it. In the state of Michigan for example, growing up the question is "UM or MSU" everyone has a side, everyone is a fan from an early age because college sports simply matter more. As New Englanders the culture is all pro-oriented and the question is "Sox or Yankees." I didn't care about college sports until I went to college and I think that is common in the northeast.

It is just a different sport culture. This is why Michigan football is always going to out-draw the Detroit Lions. Even if a NE school like UConn or BCU was in the title hunt I don't think they would even steal talk radio time from the Pats/Jets/Giants!! (see Matt Ryan years, 2010 Fiesta Bowl)

Lets be honest to the fact that general lack of interest is what is kept us out of the CR party. Maybe it is because our FB is so young? Anyone "growing up" a UConn FB fan still can't get into a rated R movie. Even though we have been a decent program, building tradition and growing a fan base takes decades.

The most frustrating thing about CR is that it goes against the old adage that winning fixes everything. We are more successful that most of the power conference schools (see the 5 schools with more basketball NCs, 30 schools with more BCS appearances). Louisville got the ACC big not only because they are in a slightly better spot at the moment compared to Cincy and UConn but the following that 'ville football has is more valuable than the combined 3 BCS games and sub 35k attendance from the UC's.

We are talking about a 38,500 seat stadium where you get a 10k headstart with students, band and road fans.

If we can't get 28-30k people to come to games without winning 10 FBS games seriously where are we going?

Reaction Score
I tend to agree. Yes UCONN has had success lately with the NFL draft but in reality this program has a long way to go. The Fiesta Bowl proved that. Oklahoma is the Big Time and UCONN could not match up. If the Huskies want to be in this class then some major lobbying needs to happen at the Capital for any investment in the Rent and a full scale statewide market campaign needs to take place now touting UCONN as the state university and make the people aware of UCONN sports especially in Fairfield County. From previous posts outside of few areas the UCONN brand is not marketed.

You're basing everything on one game, which is crazy. Did south Carolina fold up shot because they were beaten just as badly by UConn the year before? No. Beatdowns happen. Trust me, Clemson's D is not really as bad as it was against WV the day it gave up 70! The Fiesta Bowl was just one game. That's it. some of the kids who were tossed around like ragdolls that day are now earning paychecks in the NFL.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I just think were deluding ourselves by thinking that winning this year will have a great impact on where we end up. I am guilty of this myself. We've won on the field/on the court. Were still here. Blame it on geography, the lawsuit, stadium size, lack of football tradition, whatever you want. Lack of success, Isn't one of them.

Bingo.

The 'if we win, it will take care of itself' theory is basically nonsense.

If we win the AAC in football and basketball for the next decade...we will be the best team in the AAC for the next decade.

There's no place to go from there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bingo.

The 'if we win, it will take care of itself' theory is basically nonsense.

If we win the AAC in football and basketball for the next decade...we will be the best team in the AAC for the next decade.

There's no place to go from there.

Exactly.

So can we all come to terms with this is what we have and turn out for the games?

Reaction Score
You're basing everything on one game, which is crazy. Did south Carolina fold up shot because they were beaten just as badly by UConn the year before? No. Beatdowns happen. Trust me, Clemson's D is not really as bad as it was against WV the day it gave up 70! The Fiesta Bowl was just one game. That's it. some of the kids who were tossed around like ragdolls that day are now earning paychecks in the NFL.

Plus the one game was 34-20 with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter, and we had the ball in their territory. It wasn't like everyone in Oklahoma was chanting the walk-ons names at that point.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Winning won't be enough in football. We'd have to dominate. we'd have to schedule strong OOC and dominate to get a spot in the playoff. Then we'd have to win a game or two. Then we have to get back. It's possible.

Reaction Score
We are talking about a 38,500 seat stadium where you get a 10k headstart with students, band and road fans.

If we can't get 28-30k people to come to games without winning 10 FBS games seriously where are we going?

Exactly why we haven't GONE anywhere in CR.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Yes instead people want to blame Boston College or ESPN. Because that's easier than looking in the mirror.

Don't forget the head coach. I haven't.

Reaction Score
Yes instead people want to blame Boston College or ESPN. Because that's easier than looking in the mirror.

Couldn't agree more. I think a lot of Boneyarders are real fans but like I've said before there are too many "convenience" fans at UConn and not enough diehards. Out here in Ann Arbor they call these folk Wal Mart Wolverines. The truth is despite PP taking 2 steps back in football, if we had a demand for 45/50k a game (completely regardless of wins/traditions) we'd be in the ACC at worst.

Reaction Score
Top items IMHO are lack of fan support, short history, off campus stadium and poor perception. We all need to thank Lew Perkins for his vision.

Reaction Score
Top items IMHO are lack of fan support, short history, off campus stadium and poor perception. We all need to thank Lew Perkins for his vision.
The "short" history and the location of the stadium are not issues. Our football program is older than some B1G programs. We also have a neat history. Perception is not much of an issue, either. Our success in NFL drafts is changing that. The biggest program is stadium size. We need to be able to accommodate larger fanbases.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If we averaged 40,000 fans at the Rent for the past five years, we'd be in the AAC right now.

If the school had made the proper investments in the program when Edsall left and made a statement that they valued football like Louisville has the last ACC transaction may have gone down differently. UConn seemingly stood on the sidelines while Louisville took their future away from them.

Louisville made the right hire and acted in a fashion that convinced him to stay. UConn made the most ridiculous hire possible and have stood and watched the program be run into the ground.

Everything UConn does gives the impression they are attempting to squeeze every dime out of the fan base today with little consideration given to the long term implications.

The Big 10 isn't calling and the ACC will now allow themselves to be held hostage by Notre Dame so they aren't going anywhere unless there is a Big 12 miracle. So based on what I read and hear the football program is about to die a slow death because our small fickle fan base finds the AAC below them.

If they don't beat Maryland it's going to get bad fast.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The "short" history and the location of the stadium are not issues. Our football program is older than some B1G programs. We also have a neat history. Perception is not much of an issue, either. Our success in NFL drafts is changing that. The biggest program is stadium size. We need to be able to accommodate larger fanbases.

History starts when you are playing at the highest level. So our history is very short. About all we've done well before that is produce coaches for other teams. Stadium size is far from our biggest problem. Hell, I doubt anyone outside of UConn fans knows what the stadium size is or where it is. The biggest problem is that nobody realizes we play the sport at this level. Invisibility is our problem. We're like freaking Patrick Swayze in Ghost. We need to find a way to make some noise. A lot of noise.

Unique and somewhat odd helmets are a step. A more exciting and productive offense would be a step (Weis). Beating some big names would be a step. Having a real Heisman candidate would be a step. Coming up with a recognizable (and not lame or hip hop derived) song (think "Hail to the Victors") or chant (perhaps the crowd growls like an angry husky before every snap on D) would be a step . Creating a more unique game day experience would be a step (my suggestion was snow machines and huskies pulling a sled, with Jonathan in the lead). This needs to be a media and marketing blitz. It needs to be relentless and impossible to ignore.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
History starts when you are playing at the highest level. So our history is very short. About all we've done well before that is produce coaches for other teams. Stadium size is far from our biggest problem. Hell, I doubt anyone outside of UConn fans knows what the stadium size is or where it is. The biggest problem is that nobody realizes we play the sport at this level. Invisibility is our problem. We're like freaking Patrick Swayze in Ghost. We need to find a way to make some noise. A lot of noise.

Unique and somewhat odd helmets are a step. A more exciting and productive offense would be a step (Weis). Beating some big names would be a step. Having a real Heisman candidate would be a step. Coming up with a recognizable (and not lame or hip hop derived) song (think "Hail to the Victors") or chant (perhaps the crowd growls like an angry husky before every snap on D) would be a step . Creating a more unique game day experience would be a step (my suggestion was snow machines and huskies pulling a sled, with Jonathan in the lead). This needs to be a media and marketing blitz. It needs to be relentless and impossible to ignore.
Do you mean something like this?

Reaction Score
If we averaged 40,000 fans at the Rent for the past five years, we'd be in the AAC right now.

No kidding. If we averaged that, we'd still be sitting here and we'd have people grasping at other straws as to why is that case. Accept that were here, and ain't going no where for at least a couple of years.

Whatever the particular bar has been at the particular time, it has always shifted to exclude UCONN. The ACC doesn't want UCONN. Assign whatever reason you want as to why, but that is,the harsh cold reality.

Reaction Score

History starts when somebody makes a record of something. Our history of playing football at the highest competitive level started about a decade ago. With each year that passes, the college football world will begin to realize that we aren't so new to this level anymore. The more we win, and the better players we produce that go on to the NFL, the faster it happens.

As for the gameday experience. I have only one opinion to convey. I like the music in the stadium, but that damn DJ's voice trying to pump up the crowd and yapping and pleading husky fans to get up, it's got to go. No more. Had enough. A bunch of dogs pulling a sled? I like the idea really - it good be a sled on wheels. I bet you'd get some animal rights people worked up though. It is the culture we live in.

Reaction Score
If the school had made the proper investments in the program when Edsall left and made a statement that they valued football like Louisville has the last ACC transaction may have gone down differently. UConn seemingly stood on the sidelines while Louisville took their future away from them.

Louisville made the right hire and acted in a fashion that convinced him to stay. UConn made the most ridiculous hire possible and have stood and watched the program be run into the ground.

Everything UConn does gives the impression they are attempting to squeeze every dime out of the fan base today with little consideration given to the long term implications.

The Big 10 isn't calling and the ACC will now allow themselves to be held hostage by Notre Dame so they aren't going anywhere unless there is a Big 12 miracle. So based on what I read and hear the football program is about to die a slow death because our small fickle fan base finds the AAC below them.

If they don't beat Maryland it's going to get bad fast.

THe biggest investment that UCONN could make, is to actually buy the rentschler property and real estate from the state. The university is handcuffed with what it can do, not by the location, not by it being off campus....none of that......IMNSHO, the biggest problem is that UCONN doesn't own the stadium.

I'd much rather see UCONN working on purchasing the property, rather than raising money to expand a facility that we rent, and don't own.

That's a pretty big undertaking though, and basketball facilities have priority.

Reaction Score
Do you mean something like this?

UConn has a great fight song. In fact, I think the end, when the big brass kicks in, is very distinctive and says "UConn's on" to a large sporting audience. Does it have the recognition of "Hail to the victors" or the USC fight song? No, but it's in the next tier. Think about it - how many schools do you know beyond a half-dozen or so that even have a clearly identifiable fight song on a national TV broadcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom