Jim Delaney pops the expansion balloon | The Boneyard

Jim Delaney pops the expansion balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No reason to give up. For the time being, I look forward to the Hockey East!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well that's not good at all. Man I am so tired of being screwed by the ACC.

Reaction Score
Well that's not good at all. Man I am so tired of being screwed by the ACC.
We're new to the D1-A level. We have to pay our dues. If Yale never dominated college football and UConn was founded as long ago as Rutgers and played top level football for all these years, we'd be in another conference.

Either we keep up the fight or we can roll over. That's what sports are about, right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We're new to the D1-A level. We have to pay our dues. If Yale never dominated college football and UConn was founded as long ago as Rutgers and played top level football for all these years, we'd be in another conference.

Either we keep up the fight or we can roll over. That's what sports are about, right?
4849921242_screwed1_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Reaction Score
The fact we are considered the "biggest loser" in conference realignment so far implies how valuable our athletic program and school really are. While some of you wail and drink yourselves to death, I'll be going to Hockey East games! 20 years ago, the campus looked like it was in North Korea.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The fact we are considered the "biggest loser" in conference realignment so far implies how valuable our athletic program and school really are. While some of you wail and drink yourselves to death, I'll be going to Hockey East games! 20 years ago, the campus looked like it was in North Korea.

I doubt the guy who got shot with the most arrows at Little Bighorn celebrated his achievement.

It's not a good thing to be the undisputed champ of a catastrophe.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Eh, doesn't really change how I feel about it.

I thought we had a very small shot at the B1G and I still do.

Delany giving a quote to a reporter doesn't do anything to change that.

Reaction Score
When the biggest diehards, like us, finally decide to accept what we are, promote it with a smile and help sell tickets to games, then we will have done our part.

If we are in the AAC for the next 3 years and this board continues on the path it's on we will have done more harm than good. New fans stop by all the time. We can be excited and draw them in or whine and push them away.

I think it's time to accept where we are and do what we can to support the program.

I'm all in. How about you?

Reaction Score
I doubt the guy who got shot with the most arrows at Little Bighorn celebrated his achievement.

It's not a good thing to be the undisputed champ of a catastrophe.
I am not disagreeing but complaining won't accomplish much. Warrior mentalities are the most successful. That's how we won championships in basketball and other sports.

A couple years ago, somewhere around there, at the very top of the front page of the Wall Street Journal on Halloween, it said, "Real men have fangs."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm going to kick all of you in the face.

I don't know what it will accomplish, but it will make me feel better.

Reaction Score
Delany's comments don't mean anything. If the B1G was thinking about adding UConn, he wouldn't say it. He would want the ACC to leave us on the shelf. We are in everybody's "there if we need them" plan. Eventually, someone will grab us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Delany's comments don't mean anything. If the B1G was thinking about adding UConn, he wouldn't say it. He would want the ACC to leave us on the shelf. We are in everybody's "there if we need them" plan. Eventually, someone will grab us.

The problem of course being if you leave things on the shelf too long they spoil.

Nothing happens with the Big 10 until after they know the impact of RU and Maryland on the network.

Reaction Score
B1G was a pipe dream anyway. Fact is we were always gonna be in the AAC for at least a few years before the landscape shifted again.

Reaction Score
this is not the acc's fault or the big 10's fault, it's not bcu's fault. this was uconn's fault by not hiring the right leaders and coaches when they had the chance years ago. we're stuck, let's make the best of it.

Reaction Score

You must be young.

Reaction Score
Nah, I just think the NYC market is too big to ignore and we can help any major conference there. The ACC and B1G are weak there and need to solidify themselves and the B12 and SEC aren't there at all. Not to mention our local market is a good one too. We'll get the call before too long. Maybe two or three years but not 10-20.

Reaction Score
I think if we all had a crystal ball and knew in 3-4 years we'd end up in a better spot we'd all be fine and support everything. But who knows. And the longer it goes on the more of a self fulfilling prophecy it becomes. Attendance drops, media attention wanes and then we are suddenly viewed as a fledgling program that once had promise. In 5 years if we are sitting in the AAC with nothing promising on the horizon I'd be thinking we should have dumped fball and joined the Big East for all other sports. Take a Pratt powers joint strike fighter to the Rent and use the rubble for a retaining wall somewhere.

When the biggest diehards, like us, finally decide to accept what we are, promote it with a smile and help sell tickets to games, then we will have done our part.

If we are in the AAC for the next 3 years and this board continues on the path it's on we will have done more harm than good. New fans stop by all the time. We can be excited and draw them in or whine and push them away.

I think it's time to accept where we are and do what we can to support the program.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think Warde should get on the phone and set up a multi-year deal with Silve to play an annual matchup between a top 25 SEC team vs. UConn in NYC.

Citi Field is always available by October.

Reaction Score
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...:"35763_1366744551_438136191","pt":"twitter"}

UConn mention:

"SMITH: My biggest losers are the Mountain West and American Athletic conferences. The ACC and the Big 12 have both signed long-term grant-of-right agreements, so if the Pac-12 or the Big Ten wants to expand again, they’ll likely have to go to the Mountain West or American Athletic to find teams. The other expansion candidate would be the Big 12, and if it decides to grow to 12 teams, it could go for Connecticut and Cincinnati. West Virginia would like to have conference brethren in the Big 12 that aren’t 1,000 miles away."

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm going to kick all of you in the face.

I don't know what it will accomplish, but it will make me feel better.

You know Hofstra's not that far away. Then you could actually kick they guy who's probably most responsible for UConn's current position in the face.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Ten toes in... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member