Jim Delaney pops the expansion balloon | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jim Delaney pops the expansion balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't forget "Fight On Connecticut" This clip is from our bowl game v South Carolina. And speaking of that--here's also the end of Randy Edsall's talk at the pep rally attended by thousands of fans in a public square in Birmingham. That's a glimpse of what we've been missing these last two years. And anyone whose gone to one of our bowl games knows just how empty a feeling it's been for the team and all of us as fans to be sitting home missing that fantastic atmosphere.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9u2p5u69roj21q0/Untitled.m4v
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipct6j2h4z84hp4/IMG_0285.MOV

Reaction Score
If the school had made the proper investments in the program when Edsall left and made a statement that they valued football like Louisville has the last ACC transaction may have gone down differently. UConn seemingly stood on the sidelines while Louisville took their future away from them.

Louisville made the right hire and acted in a fashion that convinced him to stay. UConn made the most ridiculous hire possible and have stood and watched the program be run into the ground.

Everything UConn does gives the impression they are attempting to squeeze every dime out of the fan base today with little consideration given to the long term implications.

The Big 10 isn't calling and the ACC will now allow themselves to be held hostage by Notre Dame so they aren't going anywhere unless there is a Big 12 miracle. So based on what I read and hear the football program is about to die a slow death because our small fickle fan base finds the AAC below them.

If they don't beat Maryland it's going to get bad fast.
revisionist Bull Crap... You are using past events and suggesting their outcome was a known variable to prove your point.

Louisville had Kragthorpe for 3 years and struggled mightily. Strong was no doubt a great hire but he certainly wasn't a proven commodity as a Head Coach. Jurich took a chance that paid off. Your comments suggest Jurich hired Strong knowing it would be the golden ticket in CR. Wrong.

The fact that HCPP hasn't paid off, doesn't suggest Uconn made a decision based on not valuing their FB program. PP was hired because of his ties to the state, his NFL experience, and his experience coaching at the collegiate level. He is the winningest coach in BE history. I am frustrated as anyone with the past two years. Fact is, his first year was on par with expectations. We weren't a NC contender that went 5-7. We had a walk-on QB in johnny mac. Last year was PP's first year that was below expectations.
He's made changes, addressed specific coaching concerns, and is going into the toughest schedule Uconn has probably ever had. Recruits in CT are staying home, the caliber of incoming players has gotten better, and we have a legitimate starting QB returning for a 2nd year since Orlovsky.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn has a great fight song. In fact, I think the end, when the big brass kicks in, is very distinctive and says "UConn's on" to a large sporting audience. Does it have the recognition of "Hail to the victors" or the USC fight song? No, but it's in the next tier. Think about it - how many schools do you know beyond a half-dozen or so that even have a clearly identifiable fight song on a national TV broadcast?
On a related note, I'd like more band and less DJ, but that 's been talked about here endlessly.

Reaction Score
A bunch of dogs pulling a sled? I like the idea really - it good be a sled on wheels. I bet you'd get some animal rights people worked up though. It is the culture we live in.

Ha - no doubt! Reverse it then. Have the "cheer squad" pull the motor assisted aircraft metal grade dog sled with Jonathon on it carrying the school flag.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't forget "Fight On Connecticut" This clip is from our bowl game v South Carolina. And speaking of that--here's also the end of Randy Edsall's talk at the pep rally attended by thousands of fans in a public square in Birmingham. That's a glimpse of what we've been missing these last two years. And anyone whose gone to one of our bowl games knows just how empty a feeling it's been for the team and all of us as fans to be sitting home missing that fantastic atmosphere.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9u2p5u69roj21q0/Untitled.m4v
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipct6j2h4z84hp4/IMG_0285.MOV
Everyone else has. Ask Notre Dame what it thinks our fight song is,

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
revisionist Bull Crap... You are using past events and suggesting their outcome was a known variable to prove your point.

Louisville had Kragthorpe for 3 years and struggled mightily. Strong was no doubt a great hire but he certainly wasn't a proven commodity as a Head Coach. Jurich took a chance that paid off. Your comments suggest Jurich hired Strong knowing it would be the golden ticket in CR. Wrong.

The fact that HCPP hasn't paid off, doesn't suggest Uconn made a decision based on not valuing their FB program. PP was hired because of his ties to the state, his NFL experience, and his experience coaching at the collegiate level. He is the winningest coach in BE history. I am frustrated as anyone with the past two years. Fact is, his first year was on par with expectations. We weren't a NC contender that went 5-7. We had a walk-on QB in johnny mac. Last year was PP's first year that was below expectations.
He's made changes, addressed specific coaching concerns, and is going into the toughest schedule Uconn has probably ever had. Recruits in CT are staying home, the caliber of incoming players has gotten better, and we have a legitimate starting QB returning for a 2nd year since Orlovsky.

Calling PP an unmitigated disaster of a hire is not revisionist for me.
Calling P an unmitigted dis

Reaction Score
Top items IMHO are lack of fan support, short history, off campus stadium and poor perception. We all need to thank Lew Perkins for his vision.

A couple of thoughts on this:

1. UConn should have constructed an on-campus stadium. This isn't pro football, it's a university. Getting alumni, families and friends back on campus to "relive" the glory years is a big part of the marketing of college sports. An on-campus stadium is a must see (sometimes the only thing people want to see) at many big time universities (see Florida, see Oklahoma, see Penn State, see Michigan State, etc).

2. Having failed on the above first point, Rentschler should have (and still should be) a 60K plus stadium. Let's not aspire to be the United States's tallest midget.

3. The short history is getting old. In UConn's ten year run they have accomplish a great deal. They have fast forwarded the process of moving to D1 faster than anyone could have hoped for.

4. The lack of fan support in my opinion stems from a variety of factors: failure to gain more attractive kickoff times (or even dates) and the consistent willingness not to insist on fewer home games (the weekend of Thanksgiving and the weekend after) during unseasonable weather and more like this season coming where 4 games are played before Columbus Day.

5. A lackluster hire of Paul Pasqualoni. Edsall took the program as far as he could (maybe farther than could be expected) and once he left it was time for a splashy hire. They needed someone who was gonna make the games (make every possession) exciting. In that regard they failed miserably.

6. The State of Connecticut needed to exert relentless political pressure on ESPN to make sure that UConn got every possible advantage starting out and that ultimately they had a seat at one of the big boy tables.

Reaction Score
Everyone else has. Ask Notre Dame what it thinks our fight song is
Of course UConn Husky is our fight song. I was pointing out we have other cool traditions like "Fight On Connecticut" played with the Block C marching up the field. It's really cool before each game. The problem is, unlike pre-game at other major programs, there are very few fans there to watch it. It's embarrassing. Imagine if Delaney stopped by early to see what the Husky Rentschler Field experience was like. Think he'd be saying--"wow I can't wait to invite these guys"?

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/1156444

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Of course UConn Husky is our fight song. I was pointing out we have other cool traditions like "Fight On Connecticut" played with the Block C marching up the field. It's really cool before each game. The problem is, unlike pre-game at other major programs, there are very few fans there to watch it. It's embarrassing. Imagine if Delaney stopped by early to see what the Husky Rentschler Field experience was like. Think he'd be saying--"wow I can't wait to invite these guys"?

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/1156444

Why not, he invited this hot mess...

BCMaryland_USP1.jpg

Reaction Score
History starts when somebody makes a record of something. Our history of playing football at the highest competitive level started about a decade ago. With each year that passes, the college football world will begin to realize that we aren't so new to this level anymore. The more we win, and the better players we produce that go on to the NFL, the faster it happens.
The school records football going back to 1896.

People saying we have no history (our own fans out of all people...) sure are not helping us in marketing our football program. Our players sing a fight song that predates the FBS era. Saying there's no history is neglecting all those who made it possible for UConn to have a complete athletic department and all those who supported prior to the bandwagon era. In the early 20th century, coaches didn't just coach one sport. Many coached football, basketball AND baseball.

When I went to the school, we sure weren't playing at the FBS level. Did that mean I would say we have no football team? Absolutely not. Big Ten administrators (and others) never mention us having "no history". They know we have potential and have a past that can sell and led to the present. Times have changed and public higher education is now the norm. Connecticut probably has the most football history out of all states. Rutgers and Princeton played the first college soccer game. Harvard and McGill played the first college gridiron game in 1874.

People can hate Syracuse, Pitt and BC all they want. The truth is they helped us grow through the Big East. Thanks for helping us kick your behinds!

Reaction Score
The school records football going back to 1896.

People saying we have no history (our own fans out of all people...) sure are not helping us in marketing our football program. Our players sing a fight song that predates the FBS era. Saying there's no history is neglecting all those who made it possible for UConn to have a complete athletic department and all those who supported prior to the bandwagon era. In the early 20th century, coaches didn't just coach one sport. Many coached football, basketball AND baseball.

When I went to the school, we sure weren't playing at the FBS level. Did that mean I would say we have no football team? Absolutely not. Big Ten administrators (and others) never mention us having "no history". They know we have potential and have a past that can sell and led to the present. Times have changed and public higher education is now the norm. Connecticut probably has the most football history out of all states. Rutgers and Princeton played the first college soccer game. Harvard and McGill played the first college gridiron game in 1874.

People can hate Syracuse, Pitt and BC all they want. The truth is they helped us grow through the Big East. Thanks for helping us kick your behinds!

I don't want to sound like I am taking a dump on your history argument. I feel that UConn and its fans should appreciate that fact that our history brought us to this point in our athletic program's history. However, that history does not matter to anyone outside of this state. It is just a fact, and there is no getting around it.

The history that matters is made playing at the highest levels. UConn was not playing at this level until they started playing FBS football. Whether we like it or not, that is just the fact. No one who visits this board from time to time says anything but "you are a young program." They are right. In the eyes of the schools who played at this level, we are a young program and there is no getting around it. Our storied history with local colleges whom we have surpassed in stature and athletic success is only a reminder of how far we have come, but not one that is going to scream "we've arrived" (I know, Rutger's history is little more than a cruel joke, but they have the good fortune of being close to NYC apparently).

History, the history that matters that is, is made by the teams that have been competing and growing in the national conscience for a century. The history that matters is the history Ohio State, PSU, Bama, and a host of others have. The kind that builds tradition and success at the highest level and inspires 100,000 people in attendance followings. The kind of tradition that inspires people to tailgate three days before gameday, and never leave the stands before the final whistle. Our basketball teams growing into national powers in the late 80's into the 90's and today is a good example of the history that matters.

Our "history" began in 2002 and it is on us now to build this history, to kick ass and take names, and for the fans to call for wholesale firings in the athletic department when UConn doesn't beat a MAC school by 49, so when color video highlights are viewed as "grainy black and white footage" relics we have a whole host of it to show at a Rentscheler field holding 80,000. That kind of history is what will make the rest of the nation take notice.

Reaction Score
I don't want to sound like I am taking a dump on your history argument. I feel that UConn and its fans should appreciate that fact that our history brought us to this point in our athletic program's history. However, that history does not matter to anyone outside of this state. It is just a fact, and there is no getting around it.

The history that matters is made playing at the highest levels. UConn was not playing at this level until they started playing FBS football. Whether we like it or not, that is just the fact. No one who visits this board from time to time says anything but "you are a young program." They are right. In the eyes of the schools who played at this level, we are a young program and there is no getting around it. Our storied history with local colleges whom we have surpassed in stature and athletic success is only a reminder of how far we have come, but not one that is going to scream "we've arrived" (I know, Rutger's history is little more than a cruel joke, but they have the good fortune of being close to NYC apparently).

History, the history that matters that is, is made by the teams that have been competing and growing in the national conscience for a century. The history that matters is the history Ohio State, PSU, Bama, and a host of others have. The kind that builds tradition and success at the highest level and inspires 100,000 people in attendance followings. The kind of tradition that inspires people to tailgate three days before gameday, and never leave the stands before the final whistle. Our basketball teams growing into national powers in the late 80's into the 90's and today is a good example of the history that matters.

Our "history" began in 2002 and it is on us now to build this history, to kick ass and take names, and for the fans to call for wholesale firings in the athletic department when UConn doesn't beat a MAC school by 49, so when color video highlights are viewed as "grainy black and white footage" relics we have a whole host of it to show at a Rentscheler field holding 80,000. That kind of history is what will make the rest of the nation take notice.
You are correct about perception from the "obvious" point of view but look where dwelling upon the past got Rutgers. They've been lousy at just about every sport for all these years. It was not just their proximity to NYC but also the fact they'd constantly claim they invented gridiron football. That mythological claim added mystique to their program. For their fans and recruits...and the B1G.

Saying we have a football program older than some B1G schools would help in marketing with and against them. The B1G and their markets are hellbent on tradition and history. And so is the ACC, apparently. If they did not take Louisville, the ACC schools might have never signed the GOR they signed recently. They had less room to take on more recent upgrades. If we are going to hang with the "big boys", we have to promote our ancient history. Unless you want to be stuck with USF and UCF, who are actually schools with no real worthwhile history. One reason Cincinnati has an upper-hand on them in expansion is because the Bearcats also have an old program, a history to promote, stories to tell. Syracuse fans use their one championship in 1959 to try to look down on us. The people in Storrs try to promote our football history from the pre-FBS era. It's nothing to be ashamed about. University administrators in general know about the state of Connecticut's place in football history. If it wasn't for Walter Camp and friends, many people here (and around the country) would be soccer or rugby fans instead. Let' say we do end up in the B1G. Do you think they'll put in media guides that UConn football was created in 1999 or 2002? No, they're going to say 1896. Just like our media guides.

Any chance the Ivies might go back to the top-tier level? I'd welcome it!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Saying we have a football program older than some Big Ten teams in an invitation to ridicule, not a marketing strategy.

I'm not even going to comment on the idea that Rutgers' football has a 'mystique' about it other than to say that your internet service should be terminated and that you should be caned in front of your neighbors.

Insanity is the new normal here.

Reaction Score
Saying we have a football program older than some Big Ten teams in an invitation to ridicule, not a marketing strategy.

I'm not even going to comment on the idea that Rutgers' football has a 'mystique' about it other than to say that your internet service should be terminated and that you should be caned in front of your neighbors.

Insanity is the new normal here.
I was referring to an imaginary mystique. My neighbors love me. I am trying not to get down some pants here.

Reaction Score
I know im going to take a lot of heat on this but I always thought college football in the northeast will never be what it is in the south. Weather is a big factor with that and I dont think 40,000 people want to go to The Rent and sit on metal bleachers on a 35 degree night in November. I know its chilly in Michigan, South Bend, and Pennsylvania but those are all football schools and they have been for decades. UConn will always be known as a basketball school and it will still be like that even if we won a BCS bowl for the next 5 years. Unfortunately, I think thats what it has to take in order for people in this state to take UConn football seriously.

Reaction Score
I know im going to take a lot of heat on this but I always thought college football in the northeast will never be what it is in the south. Weather is a big factor with that and I dont think 40,000 people want to go to The Rent and sit on metal bleachers on a 35 degree night in November. I know its chilly in Michigan, South Bend, and Pennsylvania but those are all football schools and they have been for decades. UConn will always be known as a basketball school and it will still be like that even if we won a BCS bowl for the next 5 years. Unfortunately, I think thats what it has to take in order for people in this state to take UConn football seriously.

If it wasn't supposed to be played in 35 degree weather than why is it a fall sport. If you don't want to go to a game because its cold than your fans are weak. Football is a tough guy game. That's why you will always see clips of games in MN, Green Bay, Chicago and Pittsburg with snow on the ground.

Women worry about weather. Pull your pants up and be a fan, not a wimp. Weather is an excuse for people that don't really won't to go in the first place.

I guess you are a, "Fair Weather Fan".

pj

Reaction Score
I know im going to take a lot of heat on this

Rather, we should give you some refrigeration, to toughen you up. Maybe some thyroid medication too.

He hasn't proved the fan part yet.

Reaction Score
If it wasn't supposed to be played in 35 degree weather than why is it a fall sport. If you don't want to go to a game because its cold than your fans are weak. Football is a tough guy game. That's why you will always see clips of games in MN, Green Bay, Chicago and Pittsburg with snow on the ground.

Women worry about weather. Pull your pants up and be a fan, not a wimp. Weather is an excuse for people that don't really won't to go in the first place.

I definitely agree with this. In fact, I prefer cold weather for football. I get dressed and stay toasty for 3 hours here in Buffalo in late December. It is easy to do. I even bring extra hand and foot warmers for the inevitable random drunk kids sitting next to me who start feeling the chill in the 3rd qtr. Never fails. What I hate however is being packed into Michigan Stadium in early September. No, I don't romanticize the feeling of the guy sitting next to me sweating on me or brushing my arm with his wet arm.

That being said, Connecticut has much milder November weather than the upper Midwest. By B1G standards, Connecticut is balmy.

Reaction Score

Fans turnout for pats, giants and jets in outdoor stadiums with same weather elements. If we become a top 25 to 35 programs people will come. Should we ever get to top 25 for a multi year period u will see 40k+ be the norm at the rent. Winning consistently will bring the crowds out. Now will they be in their seats at the start? That I cannot say.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Tradition is having 4 generations of alumni planning entire fall weekends around the football game. Weather, opponent, or economy be damned.

We don't have it yet. Only 11 graduating classes have ever seen a game at the Rent as a student. Max total around 50,000 people. B1G schools have ten times that and we outdraw some B1G schools already. Support isn't the problem, the cake just isn't fully baked yet.

An on-campus stadium adds a homecoming twist to the games and allows students to roll out of bed ar 11am for a noon game. It is not absolutely necessary to build a FB traditional.

Tradition can also be built on the field by being ranked and beating ranked teams. That is where we should focus and that is where we've fallen down since the team took the field in the Fiesta Bowl.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
THe biggest investment that UCONN could make, is to actually buy the rentschler property and real estate from the state. ..IMNSHO, the biggest problem is that UCONN doesn't own the stadium.

Please elaborate. That's UConn's biggest problem? I can't see how it's even a problem.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately what it's going to take is for more basketball fans to stop talking about football like they understand it, and for the football program to start winning enough to draw the 10-15,000 casual college football fans regularly into the stadium to fill it regularly. The super bowl is going to be played in North Jersey in February - outdoors. Basketball was invented in the northeast, in winter barns, because there was too much snow on the ground to keep playing football.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tradition is having 4 generations of alumni planning entire fall weekends around the football game. Weather, opponent, or economy be damned.

We don't have it yet. Only 11 graduating classes have ever seen a game at the Rent as a student. Max total around 50,000 people. B1G schools have ten times that and we outdraw some B1G schools already. Support isn't the problem, the cake just isn't fully baked yet.

An on-campus stadium adds a homecoming twist to the games and allows students to roll out of bed ar 11am for a noon game. It is not absolutely necessary to build a FB traditional.

Tradition can also be built on the field by being ranked and beating ranked teams. That is where we should focus and that is where we've fallen down since the team took the field in the Fiesta Bowl.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

This is more on the mark than anything else I've seen. Off campus stadium is an impediment to building the college football culture among the students, but it may help for busy alumni. It's a mixed bag in that regard.

One more thing nobody mentions...we play high school football on Saturdays. Nobody in the south or midwest does that. It's a Friday night game. So every football loving family in the state, who has a son playing or daughter cheering, is at the local HS game when UConn kicks off. They need to fix that. It's a roadblock to building a culture around Saturday UConn football.

We don't need to become Nebraska, with a freaking armada of RVs for every home and road game (damn it is a signt to see). But I can say that even at Kansas, which is definitely a basketball first school, the football games are an event. Kids are up early, partying at the houses near the stadium, roasting whole pigs, tapping kegs, it's a damned good time and everybody can walk. Plus the outdoor crowd at The Wheel can be awesome. Watching several thousand kids tear down the goalposts after a big upset win and carry them to a nearby bar is simply awesome. Crowd outside 80-100 people deep, beers served out of giant outdoor troughs (and to people out on the street as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom