Jeff Jacobs Sits Down w GDL | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs Sits Down w GDL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldnt hang my hat on the fact that UConn attracted Skip Holtz in 1993 either. He was an assistant coach who needed something to advance his ability to have a career as a head coach.

And your point is what? are you saying there are no longer any assistant coaches out there looking to make it as a head coach?

I think the Boneyard is doped up on downers named P and D.

Reaction Score
KC Keeler wouldn't come here?

For even two thirds of what we are paying P and D?

Do we really let people post such stupid fecundity without consequences?

Keeler pulled his name when he knew he wasn't getting the job.

Reaction Score
And your point is what? are you saying there are no longer any assistant coaches out there looking to make it as a head coach?

I think the Boneyard is doped up on downers named P and D.

My point is so what? UConn hired skip Holtz in 1993. It's not like he turned into Nick Saban. I thought you were making a point that the next great head coach who is currently an assistant should be chomping at the bit for an opportunity to coach UConn. My response was that I hoped so but was skeptical. While the facilities here are great, the conference is not. If an up and coming assistant wants to make a splash he may well be better off at a lowere tier school in a better conference.

Reaction Score
I wish you were right but I am very skeptical. I don't think the doors were getting knocked down by well known parties in early 2011.

I wouldnt hang my hat on the fact that UConn attracted Skip Holtz in 1993 either. He was an assistant coach who needed something to advance his ability to have a career as a head coach. It's not like he was some kind of wunderkid.

I wonder if after having come back for the first time last year, if he'd be interested in returning though, the guy knows offense, and I don't think his excitement about UConn upgrading was an act.

What I'm really interested in, is seeing what kind of AD Warde Manuel is going to be. There are lots of moving parts to a football program, and Hathaway was clueless. Is Warde the kind of AD that will go out and evaluate the entire football coaching staff, when it comes to hiring and firing, or is he going to evaluate the head coach only and leave that to the HC?

We'll see, I suppose.

Reaction Score
My point is so what? UConn hired skip Holtz in 1993. It's not like he turned into Nick Saban. I thought you were making a point that the next great head coach who is currently an assistant should be chomping at the bit for an opportunity to coach UConn. My response was that I hoped so but was skeptical. While the facilities here are great, the conference is not. If an up and coming assistant wants to make a splash he may well be better off at a lowere tier school in a better conference.

How the conference stuff shakes out in the coming weeks, is going to go a long way, as to how attractive an opportunity is for a football coach.

Reaction Score
What I'm really interested in, is seeing what kind of AD Warde Manuel is going to be. There are lots of moving parts to a football program, and Hathaway was clueless. Is Warde the kind of AD that will go out and evaluate the entire football coaching staff, when it comes to hiring and firing, or is he going to evaluate the head coach only and leave that to the HC?

We'll see, I suppose.

I agree on the Warde Manuel comment. I think potential coach candidates in 2011 had to be asking themselves why Edsall would leave UConn for Maryland.....great facilities, he built the program from nothing ("trailers"), BCS bowl, etc. they had to wonder "what am I missing?". I'm sure opinions regarding Hathaway and how he handled certain things caused concerns and questions. Hopefully with Manuel now in charge those questions and concerns from candidates now or 2 years down the road will not be an issue.

Reaction Score
This guy is seriously the most clueless football coach I've ever seen. If he's coming back I will not be watching UConn football next year, HCPP needs to be fired as welll, it is so sad to me that we are letting these 2 idiots destroy everything the Program has worked so hard to build and achieve.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's the deal. As a manager, you deal with employees like this. They work hard, spend more than enough time at the office to deliver on the company's expectations, and is a likeable person...but still can't get the job done.
If I had an employee who for 2 years was one the worst employee's performance wise, in a large function, he wouldn't (and shouldn't) be working for me anymore.

Yup. Almost every organization has them. Honest people who work dilligently, put in long hours and try their best for the organization. But the results are mediocre. As a leader you have to find the time to thank them for their efforts and then find them something to do that better fits their skill set. I don't have a clue what it is for GDL. Maybe OC for BCU?

Reaction Score
In theory the concept of attracting recognized successful coaches to UCFB is not, in my opinion, as easy as "Metsfan2323" suggests.......although I seriously hope it could be.

Here is a good hint as to how successful UCFB was in attracting "up and coming, and/or successful BCS" coaches in 2011.

It was rumored that KC Keeler was a potential candidate after RE left, coming off a BCS bowl...etc., etc.

What did coach Keeler publically say......He was perfectly satisfied with staying at Deleware, hasn't been contacted by UConn, and if he was, wasn't interested.
More money, more exposure.....but I guess he didn't feel UConn was a career advancemen

And we don't know how many others that may have been targeted said in private "not interested".

And now with the ill perception as the BE being a viable BCS conference, and the team being among the worst in the bottom half of the 1-A schools, tell me again.......WHO ARE WE GOING TO ATTRACT?

I wish it could be as easy as metsfan 2323 postulates........but I don't think so

LMFAO. Keeler would be the UConn HC right now if he were offered the job 2 years ago.

Reaction Score
I agree on the Warde Manuel comment. I think potential coach candidates in 2011 had to be asking themselves why Edsall would leave UConn for Maryland.....great facilities, he built the program from nothing ("trailers"), BCS bowl, etc. they had to wonder "what am I missing?". I'm sure opinions regarding Hathaway and how he handled certain things caused concerns and questions. Hopefully with Manuel now in charge those questions and concerns from candidates now or 2 years down the road will not be an issue.

Bingo. How many times has a head coach left a program, and a new head coach come in, and every single assistant retained, unless they voluntarily bounced out?

It was a spun out as a positive thing, but it has occurred to me, that many of the problems we're having right now as a program, stem from the fact that a coaching staff was put together by an AD, that had his head up his ass about anything except his own payroll check.

Reaction Score
His stock also went down after Delaware blew a 19-0 lead in the I-AA title game.

Please, right now we wish to God that UCONN gave Keeler the job. Your stock does not plummet when you lose a title game.

This year Keeler's Delaware team put up 51 vs William & Mary, the same William & Mary that held Edsall's Maryland team to 7 points.

BTW We need to take a look at who ever is coaching New Hampshire, that team is averaging about 46 points per game.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
if warde got rid of gdl this week, i would buy every ticket left for the last home game so its a sell out to support wardes decision.

That's less money for rolling rocks.

Reaction Score
I want a promising coach, not merely a famous name. How did that stud Dave Wannstadt do? Forget these NFL retreads like Sparano. And "you can't go home again", so no Skip Holtz. Anyone who thinks the UConn job won't be attractive doesn't know how agents can sell their clients on making a move. My only concern is whether Warde has the magic touch in hiring the right guy. By keeping P another year he can forestall having to do so and thus can't be accused of having made a bad hiring choice. So, as in most things UConn today, Ms. Herbst will likely be the catalyst for any change that comes this year.

Reaction Score
At least they know we are not happy. If anyone can sell me a ticket to the Michigan game, please do so! I'll be cheering for the Huskies and telling Michigan fans they are in the wrong state!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Skip Holtz can't win a game at USF. He's about the opposite of a legitimate candidate.

Reaction Score
I want a promising coach, not merely a famous name. How did that stud Dave Wannstadt do? Forget these NFL retreads like Sparano. And "you can't go home again", so no Skip Holtz. Anyone who thinks the UConn job won't be attractive doesn't know how agents can sell their clients on making a move. My only concern is whether Warde has the magic touch in hiring the right guy. By keeping P another year he can forestall having to do so and thus can't be accused of having made a bad hiring choice. So, as in most things UConn today, Ms. Herbst will likely be the catalyst for any change that comes this year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I still believe if they lose out, at the very least, GDL is gone. Hopefully PP as well.

I also think if GDL is still here next year we see a few offensive players transfer.
I think it is pretty safe to say that there will be some changes in the coaching staff (at least on offense) this upcoming offseason. Unfortunately the changes may well be due to GDL staying.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
So what? The season is 12 weeks long, lots of people do this all year. The real question is, what were you doing from December to August???
Correct. The hours he keeps are pretty standard for the job.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
KC Keeler wouldn't come here?

For even two thirds of what we are paying P and D?

Do we really let people post such stupid fecundity without consequences?
Keeler publicly stated that he had not been contacted by and had no interest in the UConn job shortly after his agent found out that his not being contacted for an interview was not going to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom