Jeff Jacobs Sits Down w GDL | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs Sits Down w GDL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i think at this point our only bread and butter are the short to intermediate throws to Griffin and others, which is why the defenses "slanting and moving" is giving us such a hard time. It'd be nice if we could stretch the field a little to keep D's honest. I can only remember a handful of deep throws and I don't remember coming even close to completing one this season.

Reaction Score
Man the growing drumbeat that these guys are staying has really darkened my Friday.

Reaction Score
Man the growing drumbeat that these guys are staying has really darkened my Friday.

We won't know this weekend, but after next weekend, we'll know for sure, if we've become the worst team in the league.

I know Skippy's not popular among Boneyarders, but I have this crazy thought, that just maybe we can go down to Tampa, and kill two birds with one stone. Win the game, and Skip Holtz just may not keep his job, and the pool of candidates, to interview, that may just be interested in coming to UConn, to run an offense, and focus only on offense, and just put him in position to do what he's good at - offense only, and continue to recruit Florida, and actually recruit for UConn - as he did in the 90s, but this time as a 1-A program, with great facilities.

See the thing with everythign we want, is that you have to have somebody to replace them.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
What ever talent we had should have been good enough to defeat WMUx2, Temple and SU.

I don't know guys - whatever combination of talent and coaching that we've had, was good enough, such that we have not lost 4 games in a row since 2005.

Results matter. We'll see what happens next week.

A win? and you get yet another shot, at trying to string somethign together and reverse the habits of losing.

A loss? and it's safe to say, that based on performance, we are no better as a program, right now, than we were in 2005.

I'm not really interested that much in the past, except to provide a simple measuring stick for wins and losses. The program was a lot different then than it is now.

But we are a losing program now, for the first time, in a long, LONG time, we are under .500, and going lower, not higher, and that is not acceptable, and has to get changed.

Reaction Score
See the thing with everythign we want, is that you have to have somebody to replace them.

Do you really think we would have a hard time finding qualified candidates who want the job? I don't think so.

The Boneyard could probably come up with a potential interview list of 20 guys in two minutes.

Off the top of my head:

Don Brown
Tony Sparano
The Stony Brook coach
The Texas Tech offensive coordinator
Joe Moorhead
Rob Ambrose
KC Keeler
Any MAC head coach with a winning record because that route seems to work very well for Cincinnati (Kent State, Toldeo, Ball State, Western Michigan)
and if Skip Holtz is available and wants to interview he should be interviewed.

Reaction Score
Rob Ambrose???!!!

I don't give a what anybody here has to say about me being a die hard fan. If we hire Rob Ambrose as our HC, I will not only not purchase season tickets, I may stop watching altogther. God save us from that man returning as HC. my life. Rob Ambrose, you kidding?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if warde got rid of gdl this week, i would buy every ticket left for the last home game so its a sell out to support wardes decision.

Reaction Score
Rob Ambrose???!!!

I don't give a Fecundity what anybody here has to say about me being a die hard fan. If we hire Rob Fecunditying Ambrose as our HC, I will not only not purchase season tickets, I may stop watching altogther. God save us from that man returning as HC. Fecundity my life. Fecunditying Rob Ambrose, you Fecunditying kidding?

Rob Ambrose is now my number one candidate.

Reaction Score
Rob Ambrose is now my number one candidate.
Ur kidding, right? He's under some scrutiny right now about illegal practice time... Don't think we'd sign him...

My dream ( yep dream ) would be to bring a guy like Jimmy Johnson in here. He'd be a hit right off the bat. Recruits would come play for him. He'd bring along with him coaches that know what the highest level of college football is all about... A guy can dream can't he?

Reaction Score
Ur kidding, right? He's under some scrutiny right now about illegal practice time... Don't think we'd sign him...

My dream ( yep dream ) would be to bring a guy like Jimmy Johnson in here. He'd be a hit right off the bat. Recruits would come play for him. He'd bring along with him coaches that know what the highest level of college football is all about... A guy can dream can't he?
No. He's that stupid.

Reaction Score
if warde got rid of gdl this week, i would buy every ticket left for the last home game so its a sell out to support wardes decision.

what hedge fund do you manage? my son is looking for a job :)

Reaction Score
In theory the concept of attracting recognized successful coaches to UCFB is not, in my opinion, as easy as "Metsfan2323" suggests.......although I seriously hope it could be.

Here is a good hint as to how successful UCFB was in attracting "up and coming, and/or successful BCS" coaches in 2011.

It was rumored that KC Keeler was a potential candidate after RE left, coming off a BCS bowl...etc., etc.

What did coach Keeler publically say......He was perfectly satisfied with staying at Deleware, hasn't been contacted by UConn, and if he was, wasn't interested.
More money, more exposure.....but I guess he didn't feel UConn was a career advancemen

And we don't know how many others that may have been targeted said in private "not interested".

And now with the ill perception as the BE being a viable BCS conference, and the team being among the worst in the bottom half of the 1-A schools, tell me again.......WHO ARE WE GOING TO ATTRACT?

I wish it could be as easy as metsfan 2323 postulates........but I don't think so

Reaction Score
...WHO ARE WE GOING TO ATTRACT?

You are grossly underestimating the value of this job.

The UCONN coaching position is every bit as good as Cincinnati's. We attracted Skip Holtz and Randy Edsall when we were still D2, and we now offer a 7 figure salary to start. Plenty of coaches will be interested, Warde could interview 100 guys if he wanted to.

If P gets fired this year he will walk away with $4 million earned over his two years here.

BTW its possible Keeler didn't make the final cut and we didn't make that public so he could save face.

Reaction Score
Warde's office should be wallpapered with this article? Anyone know a paperhanger?

Reaction Score
Do you really think we would have a hard time finding qualified candidates who want the job? I don't think so.

The Boneyard could probably come up with a potential interview list of 20 guys in two minutes.

Off the top of my head:

Don Brown
Tony Sparano
The Stony Brook coach
The Texas Tech offensive coordinator
Joe Moorhead
Rob Ambrose
KC Keeler
Any MAC head coach with a winning record because that route seems to work very well for Cincinnati (Kent State, Toldeo, Ball State, Western Michigan)
and if Skip Holtz is available and wants to interview he should be interviewed.

Jeff Hathaway would have paid you $150k for that list a year ago.

Reaction Score
I honestly think he's more likeable after that read. He's someone who cares about his job and spends every waking moment dedicated to it. He's as frustrated as we are. He cares about UConn.

... he still should be fired, but hey, that's life.
Here's the deal. As a manager, you deal with employees like this. They work hard, spend more than enough time at the office to deliver on the company's expectations, and is a likeable person...but still can't get the job done.
If I had an employee who for 2 years was one the worst employee's performance wise, in a large function, he wouldn't (and shouldn't) be working for me anymore.

Reaction Score
KC Keeler wouldn't come here?

For even two thirds of what we are paying P and D?

Do we really let people post such stupid fecundity without consequences?

Reaction Score
The real shame in it is that he has produced effective offense for us multiple times, he just inexplicably abandons what's working every time.
that's when he calls the wildcat formation and puts a sudden stop to any offensive rhythm....

Reaction Score
You are grossly underestimating the value of this job.

The UCONN coaching position is every bit as good as Cincinnati's. We attracted Skip Holtz and Randy Edsall when we were still D2, and we now offer a 7 figure salary to start. Plenty of coaches will be interested, Warde could interview 100 guys if he wanted to.

If P gets fired this year he will walk away with $4 million earned over his two years here.

BTW its possible Keeler didn't make the final cut and we didn't make that public so he could save face.

I wish you were right but I am very skeptical. I don't think the doors were getting knocked down by well known parties in early 2011.

I wouldnt hang my hat on the fact that UConn attracted Skip Holtz in 1993 either. He was an assistant coach who needed something to advance his ability to have a career as a head coach. It's not like he was some kind of wunderkid.

Reaction Score
Edsall left us so late in the hiring cycle that most of the candidates that would have been competitive had already been hired. By the time we started looking, we had to sift through unknowns and retreads. Plus Hathaway was in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom