Jeff Jacobs: He Needs To Say 'I Am Sorry' So We Can All Move On | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: He Needs To Say 'I Am Sorry' So We Can All Move On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He shouldn't apologize for anything. A lot of coaches with new jobs don't even stick around for their team's Bowl game (see USF today for example). He coached it through.
That was part of the problem. He coached like his mind was somewhere else. Because it was.

Reaction Score
Why do you care if some people are pissed off about the way Edsall left? They're entitled to their feelings.
He said he regretted the way it came out. Get over it.

Reaction Score
He made an apology in the press release yesterday.

Here's the way it rolls.

Music starts with "O Fortuna" while video board shows UConn success under Edsall- ND win, Birmingham Bowl, Taggart FG against USF, etc

1. "I'm back to finish what I started".
2. "I left here a few years ago chasing a 'Dream job' and I got caught up in the moment"
3. "For those players and fans who invested so much to get to Glendale, I could have left better".
(Having one or two of the players from that team nearby with some eye contact, a head nod or dare I say a
hug, nicely closes those wounds)
4. "Moving forward we are going to build a program that can get back to New Year's bowls".
5. "It starts now."
6. "The college football landscape has changed dramatically since that time."
7. "UConn plays for championships and will play exciting football."
8. "I am assembling a staff with proven experience excelling on offense, defense and special teams in today's
college football environment".
9. "The goal for next year is for us to be meeting together on this date in a hotel lobby preparing for a bowl
game instead of here at the Rent."
10. "The staffs first two goals are to finish the recruiting season strong and thoroughly review game film of all
returning players."
(Pause with a mischievous grin on a boss inside joke)
11. "We will continue the strong UConn tradition of developing teenagers in to young men with a strong
emphasis on classroom performance and becoming outstanding citizens in the UConn community."
12. "I have thrown out all my block 'C' sweaters and have four pairs of red skinny jeans on order."

Questions?

Departs to Van Halen's "Finish What You Started"

Number 3 is a non-apology apology. It's the same thing celebrities and politicians do when they want a dust-up to go away and never be mentioned again.

Reaction Score
He shouldn't apologize for anything. A lot of coaches with new jobs don't even stick around for their team's Bowl game (see USF today for example). He coached it through.

If an apology would make anyone feel better at this point I would suggest that person is over-sensitive.

Sounds like you're over-sensitive in worrying about others over-sensitivity.

Reaction Score
He said he regretted the way it came out. Get over it.

That's a non-apology apology. The same kind that celebrities and politicians do when they've been caught with their "pants down". That's not a leader of young men in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I was out in Phoenix when the news broke, the day after the game. I was devastated. Not mad about him leaving, because he had a better opportunity for himself and his family. Most would have made that same decision. However, the way that he handled it, whether of his or Maryland's doing, was insulting. I reveled in every game that he lost and was at Maryland when we beat him in his new gig.

Hearing this again about how he left has made me throw up in my mouth. "The way he handled it", "The way he handled it . . . GIVE IT UP.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Hearing this again about how he left has made me throw up in my mouth. "The way he handled it", "The way he handled it . . . GIVE IT UP.

Win some games Randy. Ancient history

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He made an apology in the press release yesterday.

Here's the way it rolls.

Music starts with "O Fortuna" while video board shows UConn success under Edsall- ND win, Birmingham Bowl, Taggart FG against USF, etc

1. "I'm back to finish what I started".
2. "I left here a few years ago chasing a 'Dream job' and I got caught up in the moment"
3. "For those players and fans who invested so much to get to Glendale, I could have left better".
(Having one or two of the players from that team nearby with some eye contact, a head nod or dare I say a
hug, nicely closes those wounds)
4. "Moving forward we are going to build a program that can get back to New Year's bowls".
5. "It starts now."
6. "The college football landscape has changed dramatically since that time."
7. "UConn plays for championships and will play exciting football."
8. "I am assembling a staff with proven experience excelling on offense, defense and special teams in today's
college football environment".
9. "The goal for next year is for us to be meeting together on this date in a hotel lobby preparing for a bowl
game instead of here at the Rent."
10. "The staffs first two goals are to finish the recruiting season strong and thoroughly review game film of all
returning players."
(Pause with a mischievous grin on a boss inside joke)
11. "We will continue the strong UConn tradition of developing teenagers in to young men with a strong
emphasis on classroom performance and becoming outstanding citizens in the UConn community."
12. "I have thrown out all my block 'C' sweaters and have four pairs of red skinny jeans on order."

Questions?

Departs to Van Halen's "Finish What You Started"

I think I missed #4 and #9. Hits on the rest.

Reaction Score
I say, he doesn't need to make an apology if he goes up to the podium, grabs the mike and says " YOU JEFF HATHWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Implicitly, HCRE2 pretty effectively communicated Hathaway can phark himself. Similarly, AD David Benedict directly fired away at the egoist. No linguists nor translators required!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll take any and all bets that not only will he say he is sorry, somewhere during the speech he will be genuinely overcome with emotion.
Like how he was tearing up when he said, "I'll be at UConn for as long as you will have me"?
I'll bet you a beer at The Rent he doesn't say sorry unprompted. He might say something like "well, yeah" in response to a question, that doesn't count.

For the record, HCRE never said he was sorry. I'll meet you at the Two Roads kiosk before kick-off.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he apologized?
His point is he didn't say the actual word sorry.

You loose on a technicality - this is why we don't bet on the BY!

;-)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He said "I apologize for how I left..." after stating he made one of the worst decisions of his life. It was good enough for me. Not nit picking it at all.
Let's be clear, he was saying that the worst decision of his life was the decision to sneak away like a thief in the night. Not the decision to leave UConn. And if he had it to do over again, he would have handled it the the exact same way. He had to do it that way or risk getting removed before the game. And there was no way he was going to let that happen. You can tell that coaching a New Year's Day game is the highlight of his professional career. The reason he didn't say sorry is because he's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom