Jaylin Stewart finds ‘perfect fit’ with UConn basketball | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Jaylin Stewart finds ‘perfect fit’ with UConn basketball

Reaction Score
A lot of time, staffs are going to get burned by going all in on a guy everyone assumes is going somewhere else. This time it worked, I think because so many other schools just didn’t bother to check in with Jaylin personally. The basketball circle out there is tight, but that doesn’t mean a guy might not want to follow his own path. Like all their 23s, they’ll keep recruiting him until he steps on campus.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm trying to figure out what scouts are seeing/not seeing in Jaylin Stewart to have his rankings be where they are this whole time? I've only seen a few full games and all the highlights and other game film segments I could dig up and he looks to be the whole package. I can confidently say he's significantly better than a lot of the players I've seen play games who are ahead of him in the rankings. He's also better than all the other swing guys we were involved with outside of Justin Edwards.

@husky429 I know you've watched a fair amount of him, where would you have Jaylin Stewart ranked?
The only thing I can think of is a lack of eye popping athleticism. He’s a functional athlete, but doesn’t blow you away in that regard. The good thing for us is that will probably keep him in college longer.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The only thing I can think of is a lack of eye popping athleticism. He’s a functional athlete, but doesn’t blow you away in that regard. The good thing for us is that will probably keep him in college longer.
Motor isn’t always on. It comes and goes. Needs to lean up a bit. But yea really solid prospect. He can be very physical in the post and really smooth shot on the perimeter. Should be a day 1 contributor. 247 has him at 71 composite. I believe that’s right where Bouknight was when we landed. Good to see us recruiting nationally again.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to figure out what scouts are seeing/not seeing in Jaylin Stewart to have his rankings be where they are this whole time? I've only seen a few full games and all the highlights and other game film segments I could dig up and he looks to be the whole package. I can confidently say he's significantly better than a lot of the players I've seen play games who are ahead of him in the rankings. He's also better than all the other swing guys we were involved with outside of Justin Edwards.

@husky429 I know you've watched a fair amount of him, where would you have Jaylin Stewart ranked?

The strength and athleticism is the knock on him. I'd probably throw him in the 40-60 range since his NBA potential is lower. If we're going straight by college potential, I think he's a 30-40 player.

Lotta grains of salt here... I only watch our recruits and look at stats of everyone else.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Motor isn’t always on. It comes and goes. Needs to lean up a bit. But yea really solid prospect. He can be very physical in the post and really smooth shot on the perimeter. Should be a day 1 contributor. 247 has him at 71 composite. I believe that’s right where Bouknight was when we landed. Good to see us recruiting nationally again.
After watching enough high school basketball I’ve realized this is generally true for most players. Be it a lack of motivation or conditioning. But I don’t think this should uniquely impact Stewart’s ranking.

Reaction Score

Attachments

• B8C83CB8-5E0E-4BA0-A7F8-D8B9AC071132.jpeg
    B8C83CB8-5E0E-4BA0-A7F8-D8B9AC071132.jpeg
    503 KB · Views: 232

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
The strength and athleticism is the knock on him. I'd probably throw him in the 40-60 range since his NBA potential is lower. If we're going straight by college potential, I think he's a 30-40 player.

Lotta grains of salt here... I only watch our recruits and look at stats of everyone else.
Not a Ball/Jackson athlete, but he seems like a solid athlete & has potential to improve in that area. We got another good one.

Reaction Score
No, Calhoun did not bring in transfers every year. That was the beautiful thing with him. Watching players grow up and develop in the program.
To be fair, the college basketball environment wasn’t even close then to what it is now. JC was such a great coach he would have adapted to what he needed to do. I am certain he would have utilized the transfer portal if he were coaching today.

Reaction Score
The thing I like about this class and what seems incredibly rare in a UConn recruiting class is that Stewart, Castle, and Ball all look like they will be ready in terms of physicality and their overall games to contribute meaningfully right away. They all also look like they have NBA potential if things go right.

Even with other top UConn classes there were question marks with some of the players. Too skinny (will he fill out.) Too raw (will he gain more skills.) Super skilled/athletic but maybe too small to play in NBA.
Honestly, Stewart seems like the #2 “ready” guy after Castle. Anybody know why he’s so low in the rankings?

EDIT: made this post before I saw the long list of explanations why people think he’s so low in the rankings. Thanks y’all lol

Reaction Score
Dayumn!!! This class is crazy! Just checked and its the #3 class for 2023 and may end up #2 if we pull in Singare. Wow Hurley is becoming a monster on the recruiting trail. He start pulling in one and dones in multiples and he becomes a legend. If he wins that is. We Uconn fans only brag when we win big. This isnt Kentucky.

Reaction Score
To be fair, the college basketball environment wasn’t even close then to what it is now. JC was such a great coach he would have adapted to what he needed to do. I am certain he would have utilized the transfer portal if he were coaching today.
You hear, ‘I can’t get five transfers and play the way I want to play,’” Calhoun said. “What I see is not a good ending. I don’t know what the good ending is. I know people say, ‘kids should to be able to transfer.’ Yeah ... I hate to throw everything at the NCAA because they have an impossible job, I understand that. But when they picked and chose who got a waiver and who didn’t, that kind of set this whole thing up.

“I would adapt, sure. But right now, it’s not in a great state. I worry about our future.”

Reaction Score
No, Calhoun did not bring in transfers every year. That was the beautiful thing with him. Watching players grow up and develop in the program.
You’re right, but he was always looking to recruit over his current players. Many former players have said they were always looking over their shoulder and knew JC would recruit over them given the opportunity. He wanted the best players he could get.

If a guy doesn’t want the possibility of a coach recruiting over him (transfer or high school), then he shouldn’t go to a top program. All of them are doing it constantly.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Why would he need to when what he did worked?

Reaction Score

That’s not the point. Calhoun recruited over everyone. Your point is you “invest” in someone by not recruiting other players at their position and that’s a losing proposition.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You’re right, but he was always looking to recruit over his current players. Many former players have said they were always looking over their shoulder and knew JC would recruit over them given the opportunity. He wanted the best players he could get.

If a guy doesn’t want the possibility of a coach recruiting over him (transfer or high school), then he shouldn’t go to a top program. All of them are doing it constantly.
I feel like bringing in a recruit is different than bringing in a junior or senior expecting to play because that’s why they came.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Don’t want to derail the thread though, great class coming in like I said! Can’t wait to see what they do when they come to Storrs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom