Jaylin Stewart finds ‘perfect fit’ with UConn basketball | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Jaylin Stewart finds ‘perfect fit’ with UConn basketball

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That’s not the point. Calhoun recruited over everyone. Your point is you “invest” in someone by not recruiting other players at their position and that’s a losing proposition.
You recruit over guys who aren’t playing well that you gave a chance to play (Curtis Kelly, Coombs McDaniel, etc.) not players who you say are playing well, hasn’t gotten a chance to play, but are looking to replace.

There’s a difference between bringing in fresh young talent and the transfer from today. We brought in freshman who had NBA potential, not stop plug transfers to stunt the development of guys who could have that.

Alright I’m really done now.

Reaction Score
To make the team better. It’s what every good team does. It’s what Calhoun did every year.
Don't even both, this guy is one of the few people I have on ignore on this site. He thinks transfers are the spawn of Satan

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Don't even both, this guy is one of the few people I have on ignore on this site. He thinks transfers are the spawn of Satan
I’ll change my mind when they get us tournament wins. I’d rather see more things like this thread to the point where we don’t need to rely on them because we have a healthy program. I don’t want to be Baylor. We’re UConn.

Reaction Score
Oh! By the way WELCOME to husky nation JAYLIN STEWART!

Excited Hype GIF by Sound FX

Reaction Score
You recruit over guys who aren’t playing well that you gave a chance to play (Curtis Kelly, Coombs McDaniel, etc.) not players who you say are playing well, hasn’t gotten a chance to play, but are looking to replace.

There’s a difference between bringing in fresh young talent and the transfer from today. We brought in freshman who had NBA potential, not stop plug transfers to stunt the development of guys who could have that.

Alright I’m really done now.
We brought in transfers because we needed them. We weren't going into the season with just Floyd, Jackson, and Hawkins at guard. That would be malpractice.

Reaction Score
No, Calhoun did not bring in transfers every year. That was the beautiful thing with him. Watching players grow up and develop in the program.
The transfer portal is a billion times different now than it was when Calhoun was here, so you can’t really compare it. But what guys exactly did DH bring in to replace Floyd? Newton was brought into play PG, replacing Cole/Gaffney. CFJ is not a PG. i guess maybeeee you could say Alleyne? But he was more brought in as a shooter/Polley replacement, and with us losing 5 guys that played on the perimeter, we needed more guard depth. Can’t count Diarra and Calcaterra bc they weren’t brought in until after CF left (so was Alleyne technically but we started recruiting him prior).

Reaction Score
Interesting to read this quote from July now. It’s nice when a staff’s recruiting pitch works and makes a guy no longer interested in pursuing other options (and he had other options).

- Last week, Stewart received an offer from UConn. He and his parents were excited about the offer, according to Hennings, but Stewart said he hasn’t narrowed down his list of desired schools and appears in no rush to do so. “I’m open right now,” he said. “I’m still trying to get my name out there.”

Reaction Score
Interesting to read this quote from July now. It’s nice when a staff’s recruiting pitch works and makes a guy no longer interested in pursuing other options (and he had other options).

- Last week, Stewart received an offer from UConn. He and his parents were excited about the offer, according to Hennings, but Stewart said he hasn’t narrowed down his list of desired schools and appears in no rush to do so. “I’m open right now,” he said. “I’m still trying to get my name out there.”
This is fully speculation until somebody involved with the process speaks on it, but I feel like having the other recruits there helped A LOT

Reaction Score
I like the way he backs players down inside the foul line and scores on a slight fade away. . Larry Bird did that a lot and many times gave it up for an easy assist. He has the size for it.

Reaction Score
This is fully speculation until somebody involved with the process speaks on it, but I feel like having the other recruits there helped A LOT

It absolutely did. But, he also hadn't scheduled any other official visits coming into the weekend, so he was already looking pretty favorably at UConn.

Official visits are kind of weird, imo, and I think this staff makes a really good effort to treat the player and his family like they are already a part of what they’re doing, that this is what it’s like to be part of the program.

So yeah, the staff is selling the kid on the program and what they can do for him and he can do for them. They are also showing him how they interact with their guys and giving him a lot of time with his peers/future teammates- that’s the stuff that’s real and can’t be perfectly preprogrammed. You hear a lot of these commits talk about how they felt comfortable and like they were being told the truth. That’s where that comes from, imo.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The transfer portal is a billion times different now than it was when Calhoun was here, so you can’t really compare it. But what guys exactly did DH bring in to replace Floyd? Newton was brought into play PG, replacing Cole/Gaffney. CFJ is not a PG. i guess maybeeee you could say Alleyne? But he was more brought in as a shooter/Polley replacement, and with us losing 5 guys that played on the perimeter, we needed more guard depth. Can’t count Diarra and Calcaterra bc they weren’t brought in until after CF left (so was Alleyne technically but we started recruiting him prior).
I may be mistaken but Hurley was pretty open about bringing in multiple guards between Diarra, Newton, and Alleyne. Diarra and Alleyne would cut into CFJ’s minutes directly not so much Newton.

I don’t think Calhoun would’ve had the need for the transfer portal regardless though. All the guys he recruited hit for the most part. The 2008-2009 team is a perfect example of every important player you have developing in the program and being rewarded for it. Imagine if we used the portal in 2006-2007 and didn’t get those guys those crucial minutes as true freshman and sophomores.

The reason we needed transfers this year is because the guys we recruited didn’t develop. Gaffney, Diggins, Akok, etc. so now we need stop plugs until this 2023 class comes in. My hope is that with this amazing class that comes in we get the most out of it. The transfers we have our good though so I’m still looking forward to this year with our best players being our own recruits again in Hawkins, Jackson, and Sanogo.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Calhoun would’ve had the need for the transfer portal regardless though. All the guys he recruited hit for the most part. The 2008-2009 team is a perfect example of every important player you have developing in the program and being rewarded for it. Imagine if we used the portal in 2006-2007 and didn’t get those guys those crucial minutes as true freshman and sophomores.
Yeah but you have to admit that things are completely different today. Back then players were much more willing to wait their turn. Today everyone is in such a hurry to play and so many players transfer early. Just didn't happen much back then. Calhoun recently said he's not a big fan of all the transfers but he would have adapted to this culture. I posted that last night - link below.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah but you have to admit that things are completely different today. Back then players were much more willing to wait their turn. Today everyone is in such a hurry to play and so many players transfer early. Just didn't happen much back then. Calhoun recently said he's not a big fan of all the transfers but he would have adapted to this culture. I posted that last night - link below.

What players necessarily had to wait there turn though? With JC he threw freshman into the fire. Caron played early. Charlie got huge minutes for a NC team. Josh Boone was a starter. Kemba. Most of the 2007 team. Boatright on an absolutely loaded and young 2012 team. He found roles for freshman to play and build confidence if they brought something to the table always. I’m struggling to think of an important player we had that didn’t get big minutes as a freshman that wasn’t a development center. Like imagine us going to the portal in 2011 to have guys play over Shabazz, Lamb, and Roscoe. And then what? They’re here for two years or so stunting their development like we saw with RJ and Martin.

Things are different, but Calhoun managed his roster way different from Hurley. Especially with freshman.

Reaction Score
What players necessarily had to wait there turn though? With JC he threw freshman into the fire. Caron played early. Charlie got huge minutes for a NC team. Josh Boone was a starter. Kemba. Most of the 2007 team. Boatright on an absolutely loaded and young 2012 team. He found roles for freshman to play and build confidence if they brought something to the table always. I’m struggling to think of an important player we had that didn’t get big minutes as a freshman that wasn’t a development center. Like imagine us going to the portal in 2011 to have guys play over Shabazz, Lamb, and Roscoe. And then what? They’re here for two years or so stunting their development like we saw with RJ and Martin.

Things are different, but Calhoun managed his roster way different from Hurley. Especially with freshman.
You just named some of the best recruits UConn ever had. Calhoun played the best players whether they were freshmen or seniors, that's what good coaches do. Plenty of highly ranked freshmen sat, plenty of them played a lot.

Calhoun's job was the same as Hurley's job, get the best players you can and win the most games you can. Calhoun and every other good coach from the past would be using the portal now to some degree. I agree I want classes like we have in '23 and to rely less on the portal but Covid made things unique. Hurley and staff never got to properly scout and recruit the players they signed.

I don't expect us bringing in a bunch of transfers like we did this offseason, I expect stacked freshman classes because we have great recruiters and this stuff builds on itself.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You just named some of the best recruits UConn ever had. Calhoun played the best players whether they were freshmen or seniors, that's what good coaches do. Plenty of highly ranked freshmen sat, plenty of them played a lot.

Calhoun's job was the same as Hurley's job, get the best players you can and win the most games you can. Calhoun and every other good coach from the past would be using the portal now to some degree. I agree I want classes like we have in '23 and to rely less on the portal but Covid made things unique. Hurley and staff never got to properly scout and recruit the players they signed.

I don't expect us bringing in a bunch of transfers like we did this offseason, I expect stacked freshman classes because we have great recruiters and this stuff builds on itself.
Who are these guys that ended up being contributors?

Reaction Score
Who are these guys that ended up being contributors?
You just named Ryan Boatright, apparently you forgot about the guy who coached him after Calhoun retired and you forgot about Boat's roommate and best friend.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You just named Ryan Boatright, apparently you forgot about the guy who coached him after Calhoun retired and you forgot about Boat's roommate and best friend.
Daniel’s is a good example. Anything before 2000 is before I was conscious enough to know what was going on on the court

But you have to admit the examples are few and far between. Everyone from Craig Austrie and Dehnam Brown to the Burger boys had consistent roles.

Reaction Score
Daniel’s is a good example. Anything before 2000 is before I was conscious enough to know what was going on on the court

But you have to admit the examples are few and far between. Everyone from Craig Austrie and Dehnam Brown to the Burger boys had consistent roles.
I have no clue what point you're trying to make with any of these posts. Craig Austrie played out of necessity, there was only one ballhandler on the entire roster. Brendan Adams and Jalen Gaffney played out of of necessity.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Calhoun didn’t have the new transfer rules. Why are we debating this? Literally every program is making transfers part of their program going forward. Who knows what the retired legends would do with the current portal rules?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom