Is Tennessee Out of the Tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No, that was 2017.
Yeah, I got my years mixed up.

But FWIW in 2016 they had wins over Syracuse and Oregon State, both of which made the Final Four that year.

It was in 2017 when they had the wins over Stanford, Notre Dame and Mississippi State.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You have to factor in non-conference play where Tennessee outshines most SEC squads. They have the win over Texas and only losses were to Stanford and Notre Dame. Honestly, anyone who doesn't like Tennessee should be hoping they do sneak into the tournament because it'll ensure Holly stic
It's really easy to see Tennessee's lackluster play last night, or see their lackluster record in the SEC, and say "How can they be in the tournament??" But everything in tournament selection is a comparison game. If you say Tennessee doesn't deserve a bid, you're saying that there are 32 at-large teams with better resumes than Tennessee's. And right now I don't think that's the case.
Damn you anyways That makes sense and They'll do just enough to get in

Reaction Score
Um, for starters let's go with the 2017 season where they beat:
  • then #6 ND,
  • at eventual national champ (then #5) So Car,
  • at eventual national runnerup (then #3) Miss St, and
  • eventual national semifinalist (then #10) Stanford.
Got any more BS to spread around?

My someone must have soiled your breakfast flakes this morning! I am somewhat surprised you take extreme umbrage at an opinion I expressed.... I was just making a point, an opinion mind you.... I may be wrong.... The ND win was a big one for you..... and coincidentally it was the only game in Mercedes career that I really witnessed her going after it......

But your example of 2017..... Tennessee had 4 or 5 McDonalds All Americans that year.... including overall #1 Mercedes Russell and populist #1 Diamond DeShields..... yes they were underdogs to some, but my point is that they shouldn't have been so.... your examples of Miss St and Stanford..... I do not think they had any HS All Americans on their teams.... do not think even Victoria Vivians was one.... yet Tenn goes into those games as an underdog.... why is this Vowelguy? Because the players all of a sudden lost their talent or the coaching sucked. ???

Last year playing Oregon State.... Oregon State had no HS All Americans.... Lady Vols had several.... Oregon State won as I thought they would.... but if Tenn had won it would have been a key win for them....

I am sorry you feel i am spreading BS around..... I just have an opinion as you do..... I wish you well

Reaction Score
Look, no one is arguing that Tennessee hasn't been disappointing, but they have had several good wins in the Holly era. Just 2 seasons ago, they upset 3 1-seeds during the regular season. Notre Dame both teams that played in the NC game (Miss St and South Carolina). They were not expected to win any of those games.

Yes I know.... but why sink to the depths to the point that it is EXPECTED that Mississippi State is an automatic loss..... Tennessee should be better than that

Reaction Score
I am sorry you feel i am spreading BS around..... I just have an opinion as you do..... I wish you well

"They do not win any games over any opponent that on paper is better than they are " is not an opinion.

It is a provable falsehood.

Reaction Score
It is just so embarrassing that with their talent they squeak by at the end, but I suspect, after the dust settles and the conference tournaments are completed, that the selection committee will once again declare that it is the Night of the Living Volunteer.

Reaction Score
"They do not win any games over any opponent that on paper is better than they are " is not an opinion.

It is a provable falsehood.

couldn't resist looking up some of the great tennessee victories you noted....

2017 starting lineups..... i think these are accurate

Hoopgurlz natiuonal ranking
Mississippi State

Morgan William Outside top 100
Teira McCowan

Reaction Score
as i was posting

Morgan William outside top 100
teira McCowan #45
Victoria Vivians #24
Blair Schaefer outside top 100
Breana Richardson outside top 100

for Tennessee

Diamond DeShields #3 McDonalds All American
Mercedes Russell #1 McDonalds All American
Jaime Nared #6 McDonalds All American
Alexa Middleton

Reaction Score
It is just so embarrassing that with their talent they squeak by at the end,

I think folks overestimate the talent they have this year. Westbrook is really good. Davis is good but seems not do so well against better teams. Zaay Green has had a good year. But that's about it.
None of their front line players -- Cheridene G, Kushk, Collins, Harris -- are very good. Meme is marginal.

Dont get me wrong, a better coach could get more out of what they have, but this is not a team with overwhelming talent.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
This is just inaccurate and has no merit behind it.

Tennessee against teams in Creme's top 64:

Wins:
Clemson-8 seed
Texas-7 seed
Belmont-12 seed
Auburn-11 seed
Auburn-11 seed
Mizzou-6 seed
LSU-10 seed

Losses:
Stanford-2 seed
Kentucky-5 seed
Mizzou-6 seed
Notre Dame-2 seed
MSU-2 seed
A&M-5 seed
UGA-unseeded, 102 RPI
Alabama-unseeded, 135 RPI
Arkansas-unseeded, 88 RPI
Tennessee definitely has bad losses, especially when you factor in RPI, but they also have better wins than most bubble teams, especially if teams like Auburn, Belmont and LSU hold their spots and make the tournament. When looking at Cal vs. Tennessee and analyzing who is a better team, I think it's pretty clear that Tennessee has an edge at this point and is more deserving of a spot. And this is coming from someone who doesn't want Tennessee to make the tournament
If Tennessee loses to either Vandy (200 RPI) or Ole Miss (201 RPI), that'll be a horrible loss that pushes them on the outside of the bubble. I honestly don't see Tennessee losing either of those games, but anything is possible with Holly.

As long as they beat those teams and lose to SC, they'll likely be the #7 seed in the SEC Tournament (have tiebreakers over LSU and Auburn) and will face Arkansas or Alabama for a spot in the quarterfinals. Tennessee wins that, they're in the tournament pretty safely. If they lose, they might be on the outside looking in depending on how other teams fare in their conference tournaments.

Can I get this in hardcover?

Reaction Score
I think folks overestimate the talent they have this year. Westbrook is really good. Davis is good but seems not do so well against better teams. Zaay Green has had a good year. But that's about it.
None of their front line players -- Cheridene G, Kushk, Collins, Harris -- are very good. Meme is marginal.

Dont get me wrong, a better coach could get more out of what they have, but this is not a team with overwhelming talent.

Vowelguy, wanted to let this go.... but must say...."this is not a team with overwhelming talent" ... Wow... In my opinion, the McDonalds All American committee named 6 of Tennessee's current roster All Americans.... and they go to Knoxville with the eventuality of losing all their talent from high school.....

WCBB coaches around the country would salivate to have the talent that Tennessee has..... but apparently you disagree....

I was listening to Scott Rueck interview after the win over Oregon the other night.... only has one All American as opposed to LVs 6.... He said "We expected to win. We expect to win every time we come out on the court".... THAT is the type of attitude I want on my coaching staff....

Good luck to your team tomorrow.....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

The relevant passage:

Our Lady Vols basketball team is a much younger squad. They’ve battled back recently from some adversity early in the SEC play, but progress is evident — a recent road win at Missouri was a great example of impressive execution on both ends of the floor in crunch time. They’ve won five of their last seven games, and I expect Coach Warlick’s team to continue to grow and gain confidence as we march toward the postseason.

Four more years! Four more years!

Reaction Score
Is it time for him to negotiate his contract? Sounds like he's letting everyone know what a great job he's doing.

After the debacle a year ago with the FB team, they were overjoyed to get Fulmer in as AD. He has nothing to worry about.

And no SEC AD *ever* is going to lose his/her job over WCBB. If the FB team wins, he could disband the WCBB program and be fine.

Reaction Score
Back in 2008, Tennessee was in its 18th Final Four while UCONN was in its ninth. Up until then, the record for consecutive Final Fours was 5 (held by UCONN and tied that same year by LSU). Also up until that time, every Tennessee class had been to at least one Final Four. Who would have guessed then that for the following ten years, UCONN would make every Final Four while Tennessee would miss all of them?

Reaction Score
Back in 2008, Tennessee was in its 18th Final Four while UCONN was in its ninth. Up until then, the record for consecutive Final Fours was 5 (held by UCONN and tied that same year by LSU). Also up until that time, every Tennessee class had been to at least one Final Four. Who would have guessed then that for the following ten years, UCONN would make every Final Four while Tennessee would miss all of them?

Yes would have been different had Pat not anointed Holly into the spot.... a precipitous fall.... Tenn needs a coach and it needs one badly...

Reaction Score
IMHO, HS talent = college level POTENTIAL. Some players in college level off at their freshman potential. Others over the years become college AA. This is all contingent on the players working to achieve AA, but only with coaching staff participation. It occurs to me that TN has trouble with my last sentence.

Reaction Score
UConn making all of them wouldn’t be that unreasonable to predict in 2008, IMO.

Reaction Score
Tennessee made this year's Tournament when they beat Missouri. There is obvious bad feeling for the Lady Vols here on the Boneyard (with good reason I suppose after the Maya Moore incidents) but they will be included in this year's field even if they lose to SC and then lose again early in the SEC tourney. They may be the most disappointing team in the country considering the talent that they have but they might beat a better team on a given night. The talent could rise just high enough to win a big one in March and even if that's not supposed to influence the selection committee, I bet that it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom