Is Tennessee Out of the Tournament? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Is Tennessee Out of the Tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
What place would that put them in the SEC for tournament seeding if they go 9-7 ?

Will they have to have a play in game for the SEC tournament ?

There are no play-in games in the SECT, but the bottom 4 teams would have to win 5 games to win the tournament. The top 4 get a double bye, the next 6 get a single bye.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I agree with the last para mostly, I too think: Play them and beat them.
I don't hate the kids that play at UT. I think their Administration stinks. Holly is terrible. But the kids had nothing to do with the Maya incident. If Pat was the leader in that attempt to destroy Uconn in the NCAA, it failed and she is dead
If you must dislike UT--hate their Administration--they didn't have Pats disease and they pushed the NCAA complaint.
I agree play them in the NCAA and home and home--and take all of Geno and Uconn's dislike of the Maya incident out in those games--win them big. Certainly Geno has motivation.

The 2012-2013 UCONN Men's team was barred from the NCAA Tournament for school failings that occurred when those current players were still in High School. Schadenfreude delayed is still very, very enjoyable, regardless of who suffers.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What place would that put them in the SEC for tournament seeding if they go 9-7 ?

Will they have to have a play in game for the SEC tournament ?
Tennessee lost to SC today, which puts them at 6-8, so they best they can finish is 8-8. Most likely that would put them 7th or 8th. But of course it also depends on how other teams finish out their last 2 games.

The SEC tournament uses 5 rounds with a double-bye system. Teams 1-4 get a double bye to the quarterfinals, while teams 5-10 get a single bye to round 2. Tennessee will be getting a single bye.

Reaction Score
There are no play-in games in the SECT, but the bottom 4 teams would have to win 5 games to win the tournament. The top 4 get a double bye, the next 6 get a single bye.
I thought the 7-8 seeds and lower had to play an extra game....something like that....that’s what I meant by play in

Reaction Score
At the risk of facing Boneyard wrath, it pains me to see how bad the Vols have become. At first, I took great joy in watching them stumble. However, I’ve come to the conclusion that having a weak Tennessee team is bad for the game. Please, hear me out.

There are really two kinds of schools that support strong women’s programs. One is state schools that take Title 9 seriously and have the resources to pay good coaches and provide facilities that draw top notch athletes. The other is private top tier schools that can get the best students who are also athletes. Money also is not a problem for those schools.

Tennessee has always been in a great example of the first group. The longer they go without a coaching change, the easier it becomes to believe that the AD does not care that their once storied program is going down the drain. It’s hard to believe it’s acceptable to simply let it fail. Do they care about football and the men’s b-ball team exclusively? Actions speak louder than words and Fulmer seems to be saying that women’s sports do not matter.

I think it’s important to have as many schools as possible have good programs for the long term good of women’s basketball. Watching one that was legendary just implode doesn’t bode well.

Reaction Score
What has become of Tenn. "superfan" Margo ?? I know we don't travel in the same circles, but have I missed her musings ?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
At the risk of echoing the Randy Travis song.."diggin' up bones, oh, diggin' up bones! Exhumin' things that're better left alone! Resurrectin' memories, of a love once dead and gone..." should Fulmer let Holly go, after this season - What coaching (realistic) hire would best serve the Lady Vols, to return them to the upper echelon of WCBB?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There are currently 11 conferences with a team in the top 25 (P5 plus BE, AAC, plus 4 mid-major) - that will probably drop down to 10 this week since the last three are mid majors at #23-25 and South Dakota lost to SDST today, but 11 is a good number to use based on the following: 32 conferences are auto bids, and 32 spaces are 'at large' for the tournament.

A good starting point is the top 25 ranking as they will all get in and 11 of those do not count against the 'at large' number. So the top 25 provide 14 of the at large spaces, currently leaving 17 more 'at large' spots. So ...

On committee's ranking the at large pool would be extended out to the 42nd team - the issue being if any of the really good one bid league teams lose their auto-bid it would reduce the normal 'at large' pool by one for each of those teams.

Using Massey as the best of what is available for ranking between #26 and #50 TN is currently at #37 and comfortably in - the loss to SC may drop them one or two. Their issue is the next three games two reg. season cake walks and the first game of the conference tournament which should be competitive but winnable. If they should lose any of those they become borderline, if they win those three they should be in as a ten seed maybe a nine based on region rules of the committee.

Reaction Score
At the risk of facing Boneyard wrath, it pains me to see how bad the Vols have become. At first, I took great joy in watching them stumble. However, I’ve come to the conclusion that having a weak Tennessee team is bad for the game. Please, hear me out.

There are really two kinds of schools that support strong women’s programs. One is state schools that take Title 9 seriously and have the resources to pay good coaches and provide facilities that draw top notch athletes. The other is private top tier schools that can get the best students who are also athletes. Money also is not a problem for those schools.

Tennessee has always been in a great example of the first group. The longer they go without a coaching change, the easier it becomes to believe that the AD does not care that their once storied program is going down the drain. It’s hard to believe it’s acceptable to simply let it fail. Do they care about football and the men’s b-ball team exclusively? Actions speak louder than words and Fulmer seems to be saying that women’s sports do not matter.

I think it’s important to have as many schools as possible have good programs for the long term good of women’s basketball. Watching one that was legendary just implode doesn’t bode well.

Hear, hear!!! Excellent post.

While I believe athletic department support is important to the success of any program, the facts seem to indicate that when a legendary coach retires or dies, the program flounders and eventually falls from prominence. I believe this to be true in both men & women's sports. Yes there are some exceptions but that is what they are, exceptions to the rule. This is why I worry so much about UConn when Geno finally hangs up his whistle.

Reaction Score
Most of us hang holly one day a year around christmas time.The people in Tennessee talk about hanging Holly every day of the year right now.:)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
At the risk of echoing the Randy Travis song.."diggin' up bones, oh, diggin' up bones! Exhumin' things that're better left alone! Resurrectin' memories, of a love once dead and gone..." should Fulmer let Holly go, after this season - What coaching (realistic) hire would best serve the Lady Vols, to return them to the upper echelon of WCBB?

That's like a live hand grenade. The realistic part is a real downer. Shauna Green, Head Coach of the Univ. of Dayton Flyers. Anybody but UCF's Katie Abrahamson-Henderson.

Reaction Score
What has become of Tenn. "superfan" Margo ?? I know we don't travel in the same circles, but have I missed her musings ?

Superfan Margo had been experiencing bad health... We all wish her well.... she has great passion for her Lady Vols

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Pardon me if this is already up somewhere:

I am not sure which I am madder at, you for posting it or myself for knowing that it would be painful AND still clicking on it! Head bang

She always seems like she’s about to cry when trying to answer and uses cliche after cliche without much true analysis. Hearing her mic’d up And seeing all these press conferences it leads me to think she is really inept.

The only other comment I would add about the young lady’s in the program is they knowingly chose a program that hasn’t won in 10+ years (and counting) with a coach who hasn’t developed 1 All-American player in her 6 plus years despite 10+ HS All Americans that have joined this program. These players and their families have no one to blame but themselves for not doing better research or inquiry.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am not sure which I am madder at, you for posting it or myself for knowing that it would be painful AND still clicking on it! Head bang

She always seems like she’s about to cry when trying to answer and uses cliche after cliche without much true analysis. Hearing her mic’d up And seeing all these press conferences it leads me to think she is really inept.

The only other comment I would add about the young lady’s in the program is they knowingly chose a program that hasn’t won in 10+ years (and counting) with a coach who hasn’t developed 1 All-American player in her 6 plus years despite 10+ HS All Americans that have joined this program. These players and their families have no one to blame but themselves for not doing better research or inquiry.

Yes, the kids, oarents, AAU and HS coaches are an abiding puzzle to me. But they are still kids and the forelorn looks on their faces, year after year, in presser after presser, are disturbing and painful to watch.

No, no participation trophy for you; together you and your coach aren't good enough.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
OBTW I don't know whether this YouTube Channel will have a steady stream of all things Tenn WCBB but it is here: Maria M. Cornelius

Yes, that Maria Cornelius.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I agree with the last para mostly, I too think: Play them and beat them.
I don't hate the kids that play at UT. I think their Administration stinks. Holly is terrible. But the kids had nothing to do with the Maya incident. If Pat was the leader in that attempt to destroy Uconn in the NCAA, it failed and she is dead
If you must dislike UT--hate their Administration--they didn't have Pats disease and they pushed the NCAA complaint.
I agree play them in the NCAA and home and home--and take all of Geno and Uconn's dislike of the Maya incident out in those games--win them big. Certainly Geno has motivation.

Edit - I wrote this before reading Nan's reply to this post so I am being a bit repetitive here.

Flip side of the coin - when you consider our current roster and all future Huskies, just like the Lady Vol palyers, none of them were present at the time of the ugliness that Tennessee started. I have no idea to what extent memories of this are passed down as part of locker room lore but my guess is very little since Geno & company are masters at keeping their players focused on what is in front of them, not where they've been. And perhaps I'm wrong here, but I have a hard time imagining that when the teams next meet, be it in the tournament this year or upon the resumption of the series next season, Geno will be asking his players to lay it on hard on the Lady Vols to punish them for what Rocky Top did. (Except if it is a beat down, maybe he'd keep the starters in a bit longer than usual.)

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

Caveat one: I don't believe Fulmer is going to get rid of Holly after this year.

Caveat two: When the time comes for a change, I doubt that Fulmer will take the sentiments of the Summitt and VolNation posters into account in making his selection.

That being said, I am amused at the change in tone on VolNation over the past few years as Tennessee's fortunes have slipped, to the point where several posters would now like to see Shea hired as their next coach. And with rare exception, you don't read attacks on Geno anymore.

Reaction Score
I may be wrong but, in yesterday’s broadcast, I thought the camera caught Margo in the stands. She appears sometime in the 3rd quarter as the Vols make a run.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Like many others, I revel in UTenn's misfortunes
especially in that year after year, a multitude of Mac D All-Americans
show up to literally slide downhill with regard their innate skills and career hopes.

In some years it is especially sad with likable and talented kids; Baashara Graves comes to mind. I distinctly remember a happy photo with Phee and (was it Katie Lou?) at an International tourney after a typical success; three charming young ballers trying out their biggest smile.

Contrast that with the relative misery of her college career...and lack of success thereafter...sad. Was a great prospect. Still only 24!

HW has truly and single-handedly ruined a great program...There is still a bit of time for the admin to hire a proper coach; many good names have been floated.

I, for one, would like them to get on with it.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Long time stalker, recent joiner, first time poster. And I don't know how I feel that it took a UT post to get me to jump...

I don't think Warlick knows what to do, not because she's an inherently bad coach, but because she feels like she's doing everything the same way she has always done it, but it isn't producing the same results. In the same way that someone couldn't come in (I'd argue even CD is in this category) and try to do things the exact same way Geno does and expect the same results -- they just aren't Geno and she just isn't Pat. And now, she isn't getting the same caliber of player, so the hole keeps getting deeper.

IMHO, if she really values what Pat built, she'd just step away...

Reaction Score
Watching that Tennessee game, I repeatedly saw Warlick justifiably infuriated by her team's failure to execute offensive or defensively.

But for everyone of those foot stomps or hands thrown in the air there were no players headed to check in for an offending party.

So what's her purpose beyond saying things like "we're in this game if we try harder?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom