Hurley Apologistas | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hurley Apologistas

Reaction Score
Coach's are responsible for game plans and then in game decisions which are practiced in advance. Players execute the plans and backup plans. Players need confidence in the plans. No planning, no confidence. I vividly remember the earlier Calhoun teams with depth. They very often initially fell behind but continued running, pressing and basically wearing out the opponents. Their depth and conditioning gave them the confidence to KNOW they were going to own the last 10 minutes of the game. And guess what? So did the opponents. Relentless, confident, no quit, no hesitation play. It became a matter of enforcing their will. JC didn't have to hype up the players. He expected them to demonstrate the execution of plans from practice. Forget that in game? TO and screaming. Call it conditioning. He was predictable to the players. Said what he meant and wanted and meant what he said.
This is a great post, the last 10 minutes was where Calhoun teams dominated. There and by routinely getting to the line a lot, and often times making even more free throws than the opponent attempted

Reaction Score
If we can stop expecting Jim Calhoun, this board and this ride will be much more enjoyable. Calhoun is arguably the greatest college coach ever. Chances are we are never getting another Calhoun. No one is.

I'm not expecting Jim Calhoun. I think it's still fair to demand better as a fanbase. The guy makes 3 million a year, he deserves some accountability.

Reaction Score
I'm not expecting Jim Calhoun. I think it's still fair to demand better as a fanbase. The guy makes 3 million a year, he deserves some accountability.
Agreed. But in every post all I see is references to Jim Calhoun. He doesn't need to be a Jim Calhoun level in game coach to win a championship. A Kevin Ollie circa 2014 in game coach will do. Not elite. Not terrible. Sufficient. That should be the expectation. If we keep expecting Calhoun, we'll never be happy.

Reaction Score
There is something very flawed when you click on the little GIF app here, type in Jim Calhoun, and the only images that come up are Jim Halpert. So I'll go with Packer.

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
I'm mad at Hurley but I love him. People forget Calhoun had 14? seasons at Northeastern before coming to UConn to develop as a coach. Hurley is an excellent recruiter and program manager. The in game coaching isn't there right now but he should get there with time. There's no reason to even think about moving on from him at this time.
Not sure your point......DH had 8 years as a head coach and 4 as an assistant at the D1 level before coming here. It ain't like he's just starting out.

Reaction Score
I’m just curious how many of the people who want Hurley’s head now were the ones claiming we were headed to the final four before we went to Atlantis.

People need to get out of their feelings and act like they’ve watched the ups and downs of college basketball before.
Damn straight

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The guy makes 3 million a year, he deserves some accountability.
He has a boss, he has plenty of accountability. Sniping from the peanut gallery isn't accountability.

Reaction Score
If we can stop expecting Jim Calhoun, this board and this ride will be much more enjoyable. Calhoun is arguably the greatest college coach ever. Chances are we are never getting another Calhoun. No one is.

It would be more accurate to say that Calhoun was UConn's greatest coach ever. But... Lou Carnesecca, Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and John Thompson all had him beat.

Reaction Score
It would be more accurate to say that Calhoun was UConn's greatest coach ever. But... Lou Carnesecca, Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and John Thompson all had him beat.
1. I said arguably
2. Your just wrong in my opinion. What Calhoun built, none of them can come close. Maybe dean smith, or K. Thats it in my opinion.

Reaction Score
When we were at full strength with Sanogo the ball was movng well and the offense looked pretty good. We’re losing games close now and Sanogo is just too big a piece to lose and expect great offense. 14 points 8 rebounds. Combine that with bad shooting and there we have it. Blame Hurley?

Reaction Score
When we were at full strength with Sanogo the ball was movng well and the offense looked pretty good. We’re losing games close now and Sanogo is just too big a piece to lose and expect great offense. 14 points 8 rebounds. Combine that with bad shooting and there we have it. Blame Hurley?
Yes, blame Hurley for SOME of it...like not starting our offense until the shot clock is winding down...for having too much pride to call necessary timeouts...for running an offense that constantly requires 5 man to reverse the ball 25 foot from the basket which is uncomfortable and jams everything up.

Can't blame him for Cole and Martin missing 4 free throws in a row or Polley, supposedly one of the best shooters in the conference, not being able to hit open 3's.

Reaction Score
1. I said arguably
2. Your just wrong in my opinion. What Calhoun built, none of them can come close. Maybe dean smith, or K. Thats it in my opinion.
And then there's John Wooden...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom