Hurley Apologistas | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Hurley Apologistas

Reaction Score
Calhoun's recruits weren't always blue chips, but he got the maximum out of them. That was his strength. Tough as nails players like Donny Marshall, and Caron Butler, and lunch pail guys like Sheffer, Henefeld etc. I don't care how many stars a guy has after his name on a recruiting site, but how much heart he has.

Exactly.

Some coaches just KNOW. Kelvin Sampson for instance just always gets DUDES, regardless of what you think of their star rating. What was Marcus Sasser ranked? HE's better than anyone on the UConn roster.

pj

Reaction Score
Anybody who thinks Jim Calhoun was a great offensive coach is looking back with very husky blue glasses. He wasn’t. He was a great defensive coach, motivator and had a terrific eye for talent. It was enough. Our offense avoided being ugly when we had players that made it so. Other times yeah, not so good.

But the game has changed. I wonder if we realize it. I keep seeing calls for guys who can beat their man, that’s 90s 00s era Calhoun and NBA offense. Modern game is move the damned ball, do it fast, with players moving so the defense can’t possibly match up. Great offense is designed so that the team without better players still scores.

Not sure I agree. Calhoun emphasized defense, rebounding, transition first, and hardly started coaching halfcourt offense until January, not until he knew guys were bought in on the defensive end and had built up conditioning. The ones who weren't bought in sat. Once he knew his rotation, he built the offense. By March his teams were usually pretty effective offensively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no problem with the coaching. The players need to step up and make shots and defend not the coach. College basketball isn’t a video game.
You nailed it. The last 2 losses weren't due to a lack of coaching. They missed so many open and makeable shots, missed way too many FTs, and turned the ball over way too often and at the worst times possible. The players need to clean up their play and getting a healthy Martin and Sanogo will help. One particular key role player who has to knock down shots is Polley. If he simply hit 2 more of those open 3s the outcomes of those 2 recent losses would be different. Still a lot of ball to play, so let's see what this team is made of.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned getting stuck running a high weave. If Sanogo is in there we have someone in the post to throw it to, I don’t think that is Martin, Whaley or Polley.

Reaction Score
Just found this. If UCONN doesn't have P5 talent and humor, I don't know who does. Did Coach DH see this? :cool:

UCuisine-Cover_Spr21.jpg

Reaction Score
I am imagining 40 of you from the Boneyard in that scene in the barber shop in "HOOSIERS" threatening the coach and talking strategy of zone versus man-to-man with Sir HypeALot leading the mutiny. no different than 5 years ago nor 15 years ago. Just a lot of nonsense and hot air from the knownothingparty. Make shots ... that is our collective conclusion.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Would have been great to see diggins get more minutes in the cupcake games when they became out of reach. Have had plenty of low risk opportunities to at least see what he can do.
A fair criticism

Reaction Score
Not hiring Nate Oats hurts more every game
So you want to fire a guy because he losses close games to Michigan State and West Virginia and are sad we did not hire the guy who has a much more talented roster and has lost to Iona, Memphis, and Davidson?

Cool, standard great take I expect around here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom