Hurley Apologistas | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Hurley Apologistas

Reaction Score
Not when they’ve shown no matter how wide open they are they’ll brick. He drew up a beautiful play for Hawkins late. Result? Wide left
I am an absolute layman when it comes to the game of basketball, but knowing what I know about how the world works, and given our offensive performance over the last few years, I doubt Hurley is a great offensive coach.

What I do know is that, no matter how beautiful the drawn up play and how ugly the shot, a single anecdote is meaningless toward proving your point.

Reaction Score
Not when they’ve shown no matter how wide open they are they’ll brick. He drew up a beautiful play for Hawkins late. Result? Wide left
Do you realize how bad that is that we're all focused on that one beautiful play because it was so surprising. We actually ran something out of a timeout to get a shooter a wide open look. At the end of the game there was another set play to get RJ a look, it took 16 seconds for the play to unfold and for RJ to get the shot off.

We had a nice stretch in th= first half to take the lead with 2 or 3 pick and rolls in a row for dunks and then never saw it again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was disapponited to hear Hurley say (in the Pee Cee post game) the team was unprepared to attack switches on defense. It seems something pretty basic to prepare for.

It would honestly be nice for him to say, as Belichick did after a loss Saturday, that the coaching needs to be better. He really doesn’t seem to accept any blame. Certainly the players need to play better, but it’s not just that.

Reaction Score
I was disapponited to hear Hurley say (in the Pee Cee post game) the team was unprepared to attack switches on defense. It seems something pretty basic to prepare for.
Tough to prepare for something that Providence never does. Cooley's favorite thing to do is to pull out these defensive game plans in one off situations to confuse people. The reason you play an aggressive, switching defense is to take teams out of what they want to run, and so much of what UConn does offensively comes through set plays, getting RJ off a DHO, getting Jordan off a staggered, getting to Tyler off a pindown. The switching takes those actions away and dares you to try and win a matchup one on one.

UConn actually got four layups off of bigs slipping those screens when PC switched (a nice coaching adjustment I haven't seen anyone on this board credit Hurley for) but the best way to attack that kind of overaggressive defense is to give the ball to your best one-on-one player in a mismatch and get out of the way. Adama on the block against a mismatch was the answer, but Adama wasn't there, and neither Akok or Whaley are on the floor to score on the block.

I would have liked to see him scheme some touches for Tyrese on the block against a smaller defender or clearouts for him against bigger defenders, but Tyrese didn't look right in that game.

And despite all of that, UConn still had three or four open looks that, had they gone down, would have changed the result.

For everyone on here talking about how Hurley can't coach, give me specific, x's-and-o's examples like I gave of what you think he did wrong.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If this is the logic we are using to coach the team we will be starting Andrew Hurley by the end of the year

Coaches know the teams most effective players from practice. If the guys playing are not performing well putting worse replacements in will make it even uglier
That's supposed to be the theory but is it in fact the case? Or is it loyalty as has been his previous practice? If so there is something wrong with that theory because it isn't working in games. Are Polley and Gaff having great practices and then freeze when the lights go on?

Reaction Score
Anybody who thinks Jim Calhoun was a great offensive coach is looking back with very husky blue glasses. He wasn’t. He was a great defensive coach, motivator and had a terrific eye for talent. It was enough. Our offense avoided being ugly when we had players that made it so. Other times yeah, not so good.

But the game has changed. I wonder if we realize it. I keep seeing calls for guys who can beat their man, that’s 90s 00s era Calhoun and NBA offense. Modern game is move the damned ball, do it fast, with players moving so the defense can’t possibly match up. Great offense is designed so that the team without better players still scores.
That's a great point. Once the ball is up in the air and clanging off the rim, players are reacting and not thinking. the great ones, Ray, Rip, Bouk can make something happen, on the run, off balance, they have a nose for the rim and a soft touch.

Reaction Score
LOL. Absolutely correct, but that's not coaching. That's the truth about this year's team. If Hawkins or Polley won't make threes, and more so with Sanogo out, we're not good enough offensively to beat ranked teams. That has zero to do with coaching, unless you think are recruiting should be further along at this stage of his rebuild than it is.

This is my favorite bad argument - that coaches have nothing to do with shooting percentages... As if every shot both teams take is equally good and it's some random thing.

Take a look at the quality of shots we generated. PC was dunking it, collapsing the defense, shooting early shot clock, getting squared up 3s with space out of their sets.

Our 3s were contended, end of shot clock, after stagnant dribbling or running one guy through 76 screens, never inside out, never penetrate and kick.

Shooting does not exist in a vacuum, and our offensive execution is very poor. Call it personnel, call it sets, call it whatever. Hurley controls all of that, so it's on him.

Reaction Score
This is my favorite bad argument - that coaches have nothing to do with shooting percentages... As if every shot both teams take is equally good and it's some random thing.

Take a look at the quality of shots we generated. PC was dunking it, collapsing the defense, shooting early shot clock, getting squared up 3s with space out of their sets.

Our 3s were contended, end of shot clock, after stagnant dribbling or running one guy through 76 screens, never inside out, never penetrate and kick.

Shooting does not exist in a vacuum, and our offensive execution is very poor. Call it personnel, call it sets, call it whatever. Hurley controls all of that, so it's on him.

They scored 4 more points than us. And had a guy who got hot hitting 3s. Your description would match losing the game 70-55. Their ability to score was only marginally better than ours, with better shooting.

Reaction Score
Tough to prepare for something that Providence never does. Cooley's favorite thing to do is to pull out these defensive game plans in one off situations to confuse people. The reason you play an aggressive, switching defense is to take teams out of what they want to run, and so much of what UConn does offensively comes through set plays, getting RJ off a DHO, getting Jordan off a staggered, getting to Tyler off a pindown. The switching takes those actions away and dares you to try and win a matchup one on one.

UConn actually got four layups off of bigs slipping those screens when PC switched (a nice coaching adjustment I haven't seen anyone on this board credit Hurley for) but the best way to attack that kind of overaggressive defense is to give the ball to your best one-on-one player in a mismatch and get out of the way. Adama on the block against a mismatch was the answer, but Adama wasn't there, and neither Akok or Whaley are on the floor to score on the block.

I would have liked to see him scheme some touches for Tyrese on the block against a smaller defender or clearouts for him against bigger defenders, but Tyrese didn't look right in that game.

And despite all of that, UConn still had three or four open looks that, had they gone down, would have changed the result.

For everyone on here talking about how Hurley can't coach, give me specific, x's-and-o's examples like I gave of what you think he did wrong.
You seem really well-versed in your basketball acumen. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Jalen Gaffney situation. Should Sool be seeing Gaffney's minutes until 1) Gaffney proves himself or 2) Diggins shows he can't hang just quite yet.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't say the program's gone nowhere but haven't been very impressed by Hurley's in-game coaching decisions to this point.

Then again, Calhoun spoiled us badly. That's a high bar for anyone.
Calhoun's recruits weren't always blue chips, but he got the maximum out of them. That was his strength. Tough as nails players like Donny Marshall, and Caron Butler, and lunch pail guys like Sheffer, Henefeld etc. I don't care how many stars a guy has after his name on a recruiting site, but how much heart he has.

Reaction Score
You don't have a point. The UMES coach wouldn't help us score more than 53 points at home. I can't believe it has to be explained to people that the players own a significant chunk of the blame when execution is piss poor. Jim Calhoun would've lost with how poorly we've been shooting this season.
So you’re saying dribbling around for 25 seconds and then chucking up contested 3s, which is the thing we do worst, is a GOOD plan??

Ok I get it

Reaction Score
You seem really well-versed in your basketball acumen. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Jalen Gaffney situation. Should Sool be seeing Gaffney's minutes until 1) Gaffney proves himself or 2) Diggins shows he can't hang just quite yet.
Hurley told me in October that the sign of progress with this program is that the freshmen would have to earn their minutes as opposed to stepping on campus and starting day one. You earn those minutes by doing what the staff asks in practice. Gaffney had a rough one Saturday. If Diggins isn’t playing over him on Tuesday then that tells me that he ain’t getting it done in practice.

But truthfully it’s impossible to know if you’re not in those practices, if you don’t know specifically what guys are being asked to do. None of us are in there.

Bottom line: we have three losses by 11 total points. Each loss came without a key player. A couple jumpers go down, a couple whistles go our way, we’re undefeated and top ten with basically the same set of circumstances. And we haven’t played “well” outside of Auburn yet.

So let’s win tmrw and all will be good again.

Reaction Score
I’m just curious how many of the people who want Hurley’s head now were the ones claiming we were headed to the final four before we went to Atlantis.

People need to get out of their feelings and act like they’ve watched the ups and downs of college basketball before.
Anybody who wants his head is foolish. Anybody who refuses to recognize he has some serious challenges with game management is equally so.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
That's supposed to be the theory but is it in fact the case? Or is it loyalty as has been his previous practice? If so there is something wrong with that theory because it isn't working in games. Are Polley and Gaff having great practices and then freeze when the lights go on?
In my opinion the diggins over gaff thing is typical fan hopium imo for reasons I’ve already explained

However I agree Akok should have gotten more minutes over polley for his defense and rebounding, but in a game we need scoring I can see why Hurley might think to leave Akok on the bench.

Polley/Hawk/RJ were ice cold so you could argue we should try dumping it inside instead of shoot 3s. Again reasonable but without Sanogo is playing the ball through Whaley or Akok on the low post our best chance at scoring? When we did that with Sanogo everyone called him a black hole.

Lately, around here i feel it’s damned if you do and damned if you don’t for most of the critiques, when the most of what it comes down to is whether the guys hit shots or not.

Since we missed some key FTs down the stretch I’ve seen people critiquing Hurley for not teaching the guys to shoot free throws in practice. Have they ever seen a practice?

I feel the super negative loud takes have drown out the tempered reasonable critiques

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Anybody who wants his head is foolish. Anybody who refuses to recognize he has some serious challenges with game management is equally so.
Who is saying that they want his head? I think the drift of what messages are now and have been for years is highlighted above. They will continue most probably until he changes what is so obvious to many. He and the staff have done remarkably well in recruiting but most would agree that sooner or later he will coach himself out of a job if he doesn't take a look at the game management or lack therof. I don't think 95% of the posters want him to leave at all so we should not infer from criticism that that is what people are saying.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

If only there was a mechanism in a basketball game for a coach to pause the game, discuss some options with his assistants and come up with an adjustment.

If only.

Sure, PC may not be known for switching but as a staff at least one coach should be prepping for that situation. I mean there's like two or three possibilities- Stay with your man or switch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
To my simple mind, your second sentence belies your first. If you know that this is what the opposing coach does, and you know it's a weakness in our team--which Hurley clearly knew and recognized--shouldn't you be prepared for that?
Bottom line: we have three losses by 11 total points. Each loss came without a key player. A couple jumpers go down, a couple whistles go our way, we’re undefeated and top ten with basically the same set of circumstances. And we haven’t played “well” outside of Auburn yet.
I appreciate your cheerleading and Scrappy-level optimism and the fact that you see this team as equal to the likes of 2011 and 2014; I don't share it, but I don't think the sky is falling either. But you keep repeating these scenarios where you suggest that we should be undefeated right now because of three close losses; by that same token shouldn't you recognize that, with two OT wins, we are just as close to having five losses?

Reaction Score
I’m one of the biggest Calhoun fanboys out there, but I’m also realistic and not afraid to admit that more often than not, his teams’ offensive identity = inefficient & frustrating to watch

It was only when we were blessed with exceptional talent that things looked good.

We don’t yet have exceptional talent under the Hurley regime.

We’re getting there.

Reaction Score
To my simple mind, your second sentence belies your first. If you know that this is what the opposing coach does, and you know it's a weakness in our team--which Hurley clearly knew and recognized--shouldn't you be prepared for that?

I appreciate your cheerleading and Scrappy-level optimism and the fact that you see this team as equal to the likes of 2011 and 2014; I don't share it, but I don't think the sky is falling either. But you keep repeating these scenarios where you suggest that we should be undefeated right now because of three close losses; by that same token shouldn't you recognize that, with two OT wins, we are just as close to having five losses?
There’s 100 things Cooley could have done, and with Adama I do believe this would have been a different result. Like I said, missing your best one on one scorer was a killer in this matchup.

And yeah, that’s the point. Reading too much into one possession wins or losses is silly. A lot of fluky happens in basketball. But I don’t see anyone on here crediting Hurley for his coaching in uconn’s best win, when they put up 115 points at full strength.

If this is still happening when uconn’s leading scorer is back, then there’s a convo to be had. But man, it’s almost like people on here just pretend teams shouldn’t take a step back without their leading scorer. You think Villanova is the same without Gillespie? Gonzaga is the same without Timme? C’mon man.

Reaction Score
If only there was a mechanism in a basketball game for a coach to pause the game, discuss some options with his assistants and come up with an adjustment.

If only.

Sure, PC may not be known for switching but as a staff at least one coach should be prepping for that situation. I mean there's like two or three possibilities- Stay with your man or switch.
“There’s like two or three possibilities.” Lol.

And to answer your question, he called time out, drew up slips for Whaley and got like four layups out of it. Are you gonna pretend you didn’t see me say that?

That defense wouldn’t have worked nearly as well if the guy best suited to beating it was healthy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Calhoun's recruits weren't always blue chips, but he got the maximum out of them. That was his strength. Tough as nails players like Donny Marshall, and Caron Butler, and lunch pail guys like Sheffer, Henefeld etc. I don't care how many stars a guy has after his name on a recruiting site, but how much heart he has.
Every player you cite was a blue chip recruit.

Reaction Score

No TO last 2 minutes

We ran a high weave for 8 minutes straight without a bucket.

We have exactly 1 defensive look we throw at teams in the half court. It's 100% predictable late in games.

Ed Cooley switched screens and confounded our coaching staff for what, 35 minutes of the game? We used PnR for a bit successfully, went to some Whaley slip screens... what else? High weave and late shot clock 1v1 magic? That isn't offense.

I respect you're basketball mind, but you are missing the point.

Look at our base offense and compare it to succesful offensive teams. The sets are poorly executed and bland. I'm not going through every single one on film and posting a link... it's obvious.

Hurley is a god-awful gameday coach by top-25 standards. He recruits, motivates and retains players well. That will get him pretty far, but he needs to change to be great... or just outrecruit everyone

Reaction Score
Hawkins as a freshman gets a load of minutes. We’ve seen Johnson play this year. Has what you’ve seen make you think he is ready to get serious minutes in 4 point BE games?

If Hawkins & Johnson have been hit or miss is there anything indicating Diggins getting minutes will be the difference for this team besides the fans hopium?
Would have been great to see diggins get more minutes in the cupcake games when they became out of reach. Have had plenty of low risk opportunities to at least see what he can do.

Reaction Score
We ran a high weave for 8 minutes straight without a bucket.

Ed Cooley switched screens and confounded our coaching staff for what, 35 minutes of the game? We used PnR for a bit successfully, went to some Whaley slip screens... what else? High weave and late shot clock 1v1 magic? That isn't offense.
A high weave is how Seth Rogen makes wicker baskets. Very relaxing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom