Hurley Apologistas | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley Apologistas

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Adams lost his spot in the rotation when AJ came back from his injury. If Hurley was just better at player evaluation, presumably AJ would have recovered from his injury more quickly.

Look, my point is not that it's impossible that a coach might be slower to make a change than in hindsight he wished he made. It's certainly possible. The truth remains, however, that when a good coach who has shown that he's willing to put freshmen into the rotation doesn't put them into the rotation, the most likely reason is that from what he sees in practice they are not at that point good enough.
Part of the problem is that Hurley makes his decisions based on what is going to deliver the best results in the immediate game/moment.

As we all know, Calhoun would make his decisions based on what is going to deliver the best results in late March.

Hopefully Hurley will soon realize the difference and adjust his philosophy.

Reaction Score
No it isn't. Firing any coach who isn't as good as Jim Calhoun is a recipe for disaster
Yeah, but there is a pretty wide cavern between as good as Jim Calhoun and a coach who can get you to the Sweet 16 or the Elite 8 on a semi-regular basis with a shot at going all the way.

But answer this. How long will UNC wait for Roy’s successor or Duke wait for K’s to get them to make deep runs? I’m betting not 6-7 years. Those guys aren’t getting it done by year 4 they’ll be coaching at Raleigh Community College the next year.

I think the Calipari comment means exactly what Nelson said. Guys a hustler, with good connections who can recruit. But come game day he tosses the ball out there and says, go play! It is the caricature folks have of Cal, but you don’t win as many as he does without some ability to coach.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but there is a pretty wide cavern between as good as Jim Calhoun and a coach who can get you to the Sweet 16 or the Elite 8 on a semi-regular basis with a shot at going all the way.

But answer this. How long will UNC wait for Roy’s successor or Duke wait for K’s to get them to make deep runs? I’m betting not 6-7 years. Those guys aren’t getting it done by year 4 they’ll be coaching at Raleigh Community College the next year.

I think the Calipari comment means exactly what Nelson said. Guys a hustler, with good connections who can recruit. But come game day he tosses the ball out there and says, go play! It is the caricature folks have of Cal, but you don’t win as many as he does without some ability to coach.
Hurley didn't win at Wagner and at Rhodey just by being a recruiter.

Reaction Score
When asked this question in the past, DH’s response was only that Diggins, etc have to crack the rotation, which does not make sense under the circumstances given that the rotation is not working. Others might have a better recollection on this, but I think DH took too long to give Bouk more minutes even though it was pretty obvious that he was an elite player, and the offense needed him. The concern is that he is too reluctant to give some minutes to younger players, maybe based upon loyalty to upperclassmen.
If some of the upperclassmen continue to struggle, I’d think we’ll see some changes. I appreciate how he sticks to his players but his rotation patterns just aren’t great. Of course some of the younger players will make mistakes but you have to give them some leash and grow with that. We saw that with Hawkins against St Bonnies. Some of the older guys just are what they are. Not trying to pick on him specifically but Tyler Polly just cannot be getting these minutes playing how he’s playing. Not asking for huge minutes for SJ or RD but small spurts seem warranted at this point and definitely more than 12 min for Hawk.

Reaction Score

Well Roy's and K's successor's aren't and won't be taking on massive rebuilding projects either, so it's not really a fair comparison. Hurley each of his first 3 years improved on where we were the year before. Too early to say about this year yet, but until that trend stops there's no point in even worrying about this. It's overeactionary enough when this board treated every single game as proof of how far this year's particular team is going to go, now half the board treats every game as proof of how much we might achieve in Hurley's entire tenure.

It was a winnable game at home against a good but not great team. Disappointing loss but not inexcusable. Better teams than this one have had worse losses than this. On to Marquette.

Reaction Score
This^^^
I compared him to Herb Sendek at NC State. Good teams every year. Low top 25 often. NCAA bids. Early exits. Made 1 Sweet 16.

The worst description I heard was “the poor man’s Calipari.” Coaches like Cal, and recruits like him. Just not as good players.

I think most UConn fans see the Calhoun years as an aberration. In a good way, one none the less. They will be thrilled to make the tournament most years and get to the Sweet 16 once in a while. Remember, it has now been 7 years since UConn has been even slightly relevant on the national stage. Our best player would be a backup on most of those teams from the mid 90s on. Our backups would be in the A10. Despite all the success of the Calhoun years, most fans deep down have never lost the Yankee Conference mindset. My sense is our destiny is Indiana post-Bob Knight.
Calhoun started here in 1986. The dream season was 89-90 so it took Calhoun 3-4 years and a miracle shot to make us noticed and be the start of things into the March madness. Hurley had to clean a schiest cesspool created by Ollie. If we use the Calhoun time track I expect that this season may be salvaged with some respectability by Hurley. No I do not think that Hurley will be another Calhoun but how many Calhoun are there! How many are there to match a coach Szewszewski ( I spell it phonetically.

MJ1

Reaction Score
No it is not a joke. Football drives the bus and we spend too much money on basketball. It’s better for the athletic department as a whole if resources are poured into football. All means nothing at this point - nothing will happen until Hurley leaves. I was asking when it makes most fiscal sense to jettison him after a few more mediocre seasons.
Sure put money money into Football so Mora can land a 3 star and finally beat Holy Cross! That’s the way to go.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m never going to complain about the fact that Hurley has brought life back to the program. He’s a high energy guy and a great recruiter. I had concerns about his X’s and O’s at URI when it looked like we were about to hire him. I assumed (a) he was forced into it somewhat by the players he had and (b) he could learn and adapt.

So far I’m not seeing much adaptation. He forces square pegs into round holes over and over and just pounds on them expecting a fit. He strikes me as unusually arrogant. Either the assistants are telling him what he wants to hear or are afraid to speak freely. I don’t know we can expect Clingan to ever play for this team if he simply will not adjust his defense to fit his players. The big problem this causes is that every decent coach we face, like yesterday, knows what Hurley will do and exploits it. He never shows them anything different.

Reaction Score
Hurley didn't win at Wagner and at Rhodey just by being a recruiter.
I have no way of knowing how good his recruitment was at those stops. I'm sure his energy and enthusiasm provide a jolt to the program. It's probably easier to have better talent than your competitors at lower levels, since under recruited or late bloomers should be easier to find....and the guys you are coaching against are at that level for a reason.

He's done a great job getting us back on track...but I don't think it's unfair to question game day decisions.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure Sanogo will come and and generate a ten game winning. The players are getting a lot of open looks, credit to Hurley and the coaching staff. But the players’ shooting percentage is atrocious.

Reaction Score
Sure put money money into Football so Mora can land a 3 star and finally beat Holy Cross! That’s the way to go.
I don’t think that would be the goal. Just reallocate some of the money spent on basketball into football. It is the better investment. Doesn’t mean basketball can’t still do well in a conference like the Big East.

I struck a nerve and I apologize. Believe me, as a football fan I feel your pain.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
In College Basketball, you can win by having more talent. That works to a certain point and then coaching decisions and strategies have to take it the rest of the way. Hurley has the talent part down as he improves the talent level of this roster. However, his x and o's and personnel groupings need developing. That only comes with experience at this level. He will learn not to stay with guys who don't have it on that day. He will learn to trust his bench. It is all part of the development and UConn is a Blue Blood, which puts all his moves under a bright microscope.

Reaction Score
In College Basketball, you can win by having more talent. That works to a certain point and then coaching decisions and strategies have to take it the rest of the way. Hurley has the talent part down as he improves the talent level of this roster. However, his x and o's and personnel groupings need developing. That only comes with experience at this level. He will learn not to stay with guys who don't have it on that day. He will learn to trust his bench. It is all part of the development and UConn is a Blue Blood, which puts all his moves under a bright microscope.
Agree. I would hope he learns. I’m concerned that his style of game management won’t allow that. He can’t be thinking about the big picture when he’s actively orchestrating every posession from the bench like he’s the point guard and a cheerleader. Weirdly, he knows his x and o(s) inside and out, but can’t seem to apply theory to the situation at hand. Until he figures it out, we are going to have a ceiling.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty simple, Hurley got out coached by Cooley. As a friars fan you guys have more talent but we have the experience and coaching to win games.
Thank you! I swear I never heard or thought about this before! Truly breakthrough thinking! GT.FOH!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If he has Clingan try the “hard hedge” even once, then we will know that all hope is lost.

Yep. One of the failures yesterday was having Whaley hard hedge while playing a one big lineup. I don’t care if you have Embiid, the other team is going to exploit you at the rim if you do that. And they did. He’s done that several times now, including the St. Johns loss last year. If you are playing one big at this level then that one big has to stay in the paint. He can hedge with two shot blockers, but I don’t think Clingan should ever venture to the 3 point line on D

Reaction Score
I can’t wait until Hurley shuts all of you up. Good God
As I’ve said. I’m concerned but still optimistic once Sanogo returns, if he can incorporate Diggins and Johnson into the rotation. I suspect a few people in this thread though feel we’re not any better off than we were with the previous staff. We are still leaps and bounds above those final 4 years prior to Hurley taking over. He appears to do everything else right running a program, just has to prove he can win more games now.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that would be the goal. Just reallocate some of the money spent on basketball into football. It is the better investment. Doesn’t mean basketball can’t still do well in a conference like the Big East.

I struck a nerve and I apologize. Believe me, as a football fan I feel your pain.
LOL

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I’m just curious how many of the people who want Hurley’s head now were the ones claiming we were headed to the final four before we went to Atlantis.

People need to get out of their feelings and act like they’ve watched the ups and downs of college basketball before.

Reaction Score
OTOH, it's great to know we have so many qualified coaches right here for when DB comes calling.
Please do give us a transcript or please do give us a break.

Reaction Score
Calhoun started here in 1986. The dream season was 89-90 so it took Calhoun 3-4 years and a miracle shot to make us noticed and be the start of things into the March madness. Hurley had to clean a schiest cesspool created by Ollie. If we use the Calhoun time track I expect that this season may be salvaged with some respectability by Hurley. No I do not think that Hurley will be another Calhoun but how many Calhoun are there! How many are there to match a coach Szewszewski ( I spell it phonetically.
Calhoun's first 4 years
86-87 9-19; 3-13
87-88 20-14; 4-12 NIT Champs
88-89 18-13; 6-10
89-90 31-6; 12-4 NCAA Regional Final

UCONN won the NIT in JCs 2nd year, 1988. Then Chris Smith came to campus. Then Scott Burrell. Calhoun made an IMMEDIATE impact on a program floundering in mediocrity. Hurley is coming into a program with 4 NCAAs to its credit.

Reaction Score
Does anyone want Dannys Head? I doubt that at all. He just needs to get better on game day. He’s a great recruiter and runs a tight ship. The kids play hard on both ends that’s coming from him. But our offense needs improvement no doubt it’s not working. And if he actually thinks the defense needed to tighten up the other day he wasn’t paying attention. They gave up 57 you should win 90% of your games when doing that.

Just needs to get better during the game, use his assistants to help with substitutions as well. Again, the Polley for 24 minutes and Gaff at the end of the game at crunch time is beyond questionable.

Reaction Score
Calhoun's first 4 years
86-87 9-19; 3-13
87-88 20-14; 4-12 NIT Champs
88-89 18-13; 6-10
89-90 31-6; 12-4 NCAA Regional Final

UCONN won the NIT in JCs 2nd year, 1988. Then Chris Smith came to campus. Then Scott Burrell. Calhoun made an IMMEDIATE impact on a program floundering in mediocrity. Hurley is coming into a program with 4 NCAAs to its credit.
Of course I remember the NIT win and yes that was the turning point. But over the years when I had mentioned the NIT I was criticized for bringing up the NIT. Most self styled UConn BB fans act as if the NIT is alllways a failure. Hell do those of us old even to remember when fans of UCONN opponent would chant “NIT” during games when UCONN was not doing well. Again I am not saying that Hurley is a Calhoun ( there are not many Calhoun). I will say that Hurley did have a bigger mess to clean up after Ollie while Calhoun had mediocrity to overcome and CAlhoun did a masterful job doing it.

As for the NIT that at times for certain teams is a great way onto the road for success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom